Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Can someone convince me to go VIP?

Hey all,
    I'm enjoying my 3 Wiz/1Rogue so far, and appreciate the advice you offered earlier. I spent money in the DDO store to get 32 point builds, and a I have a 3 Fighter and 3 Cleric now also.

But I am still Free to Play, even though I enjoy this game so much and play every evening. I am seriously thinking about becoming a "member". This is $10 a month, correct?

But I see all these races and classes that even the "VIP" people can't get access to, and it makes me wonder if it is really worth it. Furthermore, I can't find a good page that summarizes all the benefits that come with VIP status.

Can someone please explain succinctly what they think the best benefits are for paying the monthly fee? I'm leaning that way, but not unless there is a real tangible benefit to doing so.

Having said all that, what am I missing out on in F2P that I would receive in VIP? Thanks for your help/advice.

If you've already made a purchase, that makes you premium. Your f2p days are behind you. In my opinion the only real benefit of VIP right now is that you can open elite on your first and second lives without any assistance. If you can afford $10 a month, but would find a $70 lump sum too big an investment, then VIP could be right for you.

Wait patiently while you're a VIP for a nice points sale, then drop to premium and buy out the adventure packs and account options you want. It's a much better deal in the long run, pricewise.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Vip can be worth it. It depends on how much you plan on playing. As a new player, the biggest advantage is getting all the content in one big swoop. You can then run any quest with any race and class (except Favored souls I think) to your hearts content. Note that the new Underdark stuff is an expansion pack and doesn't include VIPs right now either.

The other option is go premium, spend a few bucks on some of the packs/classes when you feel like it. Waiting for point sales and sales on items you want can save big bucks in the long run, but patience is a virtue here.

I was Premium for awhile, went VIP for a year and then bought out nearly all the packs/classes with my free TPs when I stopped being VIP.

Vips get a few other perks too, and if you really like the game its not a bad option at all.

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    Hey all,
    I'm enjoying my 3 Wiz/1Rogue so far, and appreciate the advice you offered earlier. I spent money in the DDO store to get 32 point builds, and a I have a 3 Fighter and 3 Cleric now also.

But I am still Free to Play, even though I enjoy this game so much and play every evening. I am seriously thinking about becoming a "member". This is $10 a month, correct?

But I see all these races and classes that even the "VIP" people can't get access to, and it makes me wonder if it is really worth it. Furthermore, I can't find a good page that summarizes all the benefits that come with VIP status.

Can someone please explain succinctly what they think the best benefits are for paying the monthly fee? I'm leaning that way, but not unless there is a real tangible benefit to doing so.

Having said all that, what am I missing out on in F2P that I would receive in VIP? Thanks for your help/advice.
    I played VIP for a while but a change in careers meant I wouldn't be able to play as often. The only thing I miss is the ability to open elite difficulty on non TR characters.

If I were to do it all again, I'd get VIP for a month or two and not worry about anything apart from working out which adventure packs I enjoyed the most. I would save the 1000tp they give you and don't create characters that are P2P classes or races.

I would put the $10 a month I save from not being a VIP in the bank, then when there is a triple points offer grab however many points that got me.

Finally, drawing on my experiences as a VIP and playing through the quests I enjoyed the most. Use that to decide what adventure packs to buy with my turbine points.

Then I'd dance my way through the game, happy that I don't have to worry about having nothing should I need to cancel my VIP status for some reason.
    Last edited by Mathermune; 09-25-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    [/post]

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    Furthermore, I can't find a good page that summarizes all the benefits that come with VIP status.
    The DDO wiki is your friend: http://ddowiki.com/page/VIP

There's enough F2P content that you should be able to level to mid-levels easily, though you will have to do some grinding at higher levels. But that's plenty of time to decide if you like DDO enough to be worth shelling out moolah for it.

When it comes to unlocking P2P content, you have three options:

A) Favor-grind to earn TPs

• Pro: costs nothing but free time
    • Con: takes a lot of your free time to earn enough TPs to buy anything (even when it's on sale), esp. if you're not able to elite-streak but have to do it old-school (N/H/E)
    • Verdict: only for the flat-broke OCD students with nothing better to do with their free time

B) Spend real moniez on TPs (aka Premium)

• Pro: once you unlock something, it's permanently unlocked for your account on all servers
    • Con: can be a PITA to find groups to run only the content you own; more restrictive than VIP (e.g., no shared bank, fewer char slots w/out unlocking)
    • Verdict: good for the casual player or the cash-constrained, as you can "pay as you go" based on how much you play DDO

C) Sign up for monthly or annual subscription (aka VIP)

• Pro: unlocks all pre-MotU content, most races & classes (drow, artificer, favored soul are the only ones you still have to unlock via Favor or Store), and various account goodies like extra character slots, shared bank, hard/elite difficulty unlocks, etc.
    • Con: like typical MMOs, you're only "renting" access to DDO, so you lose all your "special perks" if you cancel your sub, though your account isn't deleted; you can still play as a Premium account (but you will lose access to any chars w/P2P classes or races you haven't unlocked separately)
    • Verdict: good for the more "hardcore" players who spend a lot of time playing DDO (esp. if you love alts as much as I do ) or tend to play more intermittently (e.g., sub for a couple of months every time new content comes out, quits until the next big update)
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLordBear View Post
    Vip can be worth it. It depends on how much you plan on playing. As a new player, the biggest advantage is getting all the content in one big swoop. You can then run any quest with any race and class (except Favored souls I think) to your hearts content. Note that the new Underdark stuff is an expansion pack and doesn't include VIPs right now either.
    Actually VIP does't allow you to play artificer either.

I would suggest you try out the game a bit before spending too much or going VIP. Once you decide to spend some money, go VIP for a few months and try all the adventure packs/quests (that you can based on your level), then if you still like it a lot and expect to play a lot stay VIP, otherwise go back to premium (and feel free to switch every few months as RL means you can't play much) and buy the adventure packs you like. There is usually a nice sale (such as 25-30% off almost everything) every few months.

Community Member

My VIP ends in a few weeks and I am going to miss it.

Not only do you get to open on Elite, you also get to switch destinies in any public area without having to go to a fate spinner. Let me tell you that is invaluable when farming for destiny xp. If you have to run out to a fate spinner, that would take the time of at least 2 runs, losing 40k xp for the 5 minutes it takes you. Not a big deal in the grand scheme but when you are really grinding it out it adds up.

I too think that you should wait a little before investing. Do all the free conent, get up to at least lvl 12-14. But being VIP does give you the opportunity to try out every single pack. There should be a sale in december where you will get VIP for a year for like 80$. Or just do what I did and buy a 3 month subcription for 29.95. I think. Get your free 1500 points by the end of it and get the packs that you like.

Community Member

As a guy who was VIP for almost a year, and then dropped down to premium, I would highly recommend NOT going VIP at this point. VIP, in my opinion, in is a good choice if you are new to the game and want to experience all of the content to decide if you like the game and want to continue playing. At this point, it sounds like you have already made the decision to continue playing the game, so my recommendation would be to save up some cash, and then buy some TP the next time they go on sale. Then use this TP to purchase content, preferably while the content is on sale. That is what I would do if I were in your position.

For me, immediate Elite unlocks makes it a worthwhile investment. I don't TR, I kinda hate it, but I really enjoy the whole Bravery Bonus thing. The 500 points a month is also nice, for when I want to save up for a tome of some sort. When my VIP lapses due to budget being tight, I admit to missing it - which is the best endorsement I have for VIP.

However, going VIP vs. Premium is a personal call. I'd say sign up for one month of VIP and see if you miss it when it expires. If so, pick it back up. If not - carry on as Premium.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    However, going VIP vs. Premium is a personal call. I'd say sign up for one month of VIP and see if you miss it when it expires. If so, pick it back up. If not - carry on as Premium.
    IMHO this is not good advice, who wouldn't miss having all those perks and access to all that content? Missing them is why many fall into the trap of resubscribing month after month, even though they would prefer to be premiums instead.

From my point of view, if you plan to be a premium it is better to never be a VIP. It seems a waste to pay to rent the content you intend to purchase for the life of this game, and you won't miss the stuff you don't purchase right away or ever or can't purchase as much if you never had it to begin with.

Financially this decision comes down to how long you intend to play. After a year or two, you will pay less to purchase outright access to all the same things as a premium that a VIP gets from their subscription than a VIP would pay for that long in subscription fees. At that point if the VIP stops subscribing, they lose everything and are like a first day premium with no purchases, while if a premium stop paying at that point, they still have access to everything they bought for the life of the game.

The only thing you can not really buy as a premium that you get as a VIP is the ability to open on elite difficulty on the first two lives. How much you value that is up to you, many VIPs subscribe specifically for this one perk, while many premiums have played without it for years now.

Personally I'd recommend just playing as a premium, and if you make just one purchase now, get the standard edition of the expansion while it is half off at http://underdark.ddo.com/ It comes with 4 lower level adventure packs, a greater tome for your main, and 1000 TP which alone is worth more than the $25 price. But you also get the expansion and all of it's quests and raids, the epic destiny system, and druid class with it as well.

I look at it like the cost of VIP is the cost of one drink at a bar with Tip. Or if you include the 500 pts, then the cost of a s really cheap beer without tip since 600 TP is $8.00.

If you are not of drinking age, convert to Coffee drinks

I've always been VIP, and enjoy that I can run anything at any setting, any time with pugs or friends and just flip from quest to quest in different areas, as well as have 10 alts in all lvl ranges.

There are 2 different people that I run with, who do not own all the content, and this can be a real PITA sometimes, as the whole group either has to work around them or buy a pass for them. However, I have a guildie who is Premium, and it works out fine for him, but it seems that he mostly solos.

I do pug alot at lower to mid levels to try and help new people, and sine these quests go faster, and decent groups might stay together for 2 or so hours, we see alot of people have to leave because they don't own the content, and they seem so sad about it.

EDITED TO SAY--In simpler terms, I look at VIP DDO as entertainment cost, and what I spend on entertainment, a movie is $11+, a book usually 20+. If I only play a few hours a month, even then VIP is worth it. I don't look at it as what I am spending in the long term, I'm not looking to get ahead of the game and to be able to say that I spend less money than a VIP. Every night I stay in and game, I also prob save $40-50.
    Last edited by moops; 09-25-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    Hexxa CLR 25 *TR* * ~Hexanna ~*TR* FVS 25 * Hexecuter CLR 20 *Flexanna RGR/R/M 18/1/1 *TR* * Flexa FTR/R 18/2 TR * Hextravaganz Bard *TR* 18/2 * Hexotic Sorc 13 * Hexquisite Wiz 23 * ~~Quantum Entropy * SARLONA~~ - * and various other scoundrels

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

I started as F2P, realized I was probably going to want to continue to play, signed up for three months VIP at a discount price, confirmed that I wanted to stay longer term, and then switched to premium because the costs of being premium are so much lower than VIP, over the longer run.

As another possible consideration; when a bill doesn't show up every month on your credit card, no discussion about how to cut household expenses is likely to end up being focused on DDO -- in case that might matter, for the OP.

Just sayin'

Unlimited access to challenges was another nice perk for VIPs, so naturally, they nerfed challenges so heavily that I either don't do them at all or do them only 1 time now, defeating the purpose of the perk.

Community Member

I don't mostly justify game expenses in terms of money/reward; I mostly justify them in terms of "I am interested in funding this developer". So I'm a VIP and I bought a bunch of points for stuff anyway. And now I get more points over time, which I can use to buy stuff I care about, and pretty widely-unlocked stuff anyway.
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

You are so rich and you don't know how to spend your money, so let's use it to keep the game we like running and healthy.

Did i convince you?
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Quote Originally Posted by zeichen-thest View Post
    My VIP ends in a few weeks and I am going to miss it.

Not only do you get to open on Elite, you also get to switch destinies in any public area without having to go to a fate spinner. Let me tell you that is invaluable when farming for destiny xp. If you have to run out to a fate spinner, that would take the time of at least 2 runs, losing 40k xp for the 5 minutes it takes you. Not a big deal in the grand scheme but when you are really grinding it out it adds up...
    Disclosure: I am premium, so I am biased. Given the fact that grinding epic quests for Epic XP sometimes means epic resource (potion, wand, scroll, etc) use and damaged gear, I have NOT found that this would be a benefit for me - I gotta go to town one way or another.

As a premium who owns all content, I think my choice boils down to only two things I would have liked from VIP perks: Open Elite on 1st and 2nd lives and avoiding having bought some suckier packs (because I would have been able to play through them first) - Restless Isles and Catacombs, namely, but there are a couple others. Because whether or not a pack is any good is such a subjective thing, playing through all content first (maybe for a couple-three months) probably would have saved me 20-30 dollars x 3 accounts (mine, and my kids'). That's savings AFTER the subscription for that period of time. And as for opening Elite on first two lives - yah it would be nice, but not enough for the VIP, imho.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post
    I mostly justify them in terms of "I am interested in funding this developer".
    I'm sure the execs at Warners appreciate this.

Seriously, I don't really understand this type of thinking. Its like buying something at full price at Best Buy instead of buying it on sale because you're interested in funding the store. Even if that's your true intent, the money is probably not going to who you think its going to.

For me the unlock on hard and elite is it. I was premium for like 3 years before they introduced that, and now I am back in the fold.

The Hatchery

Just don't!
    Beste
    Titus

TitusOvid | Bruder | Upload

Most of my guildies are premium players who were VIP at one point.

I have not heard a single one sound dissatisfied with their choice to go premium.

If you do not play much premium is very clearly a superior choice financially.

If you play a ton, but do not plan on playing for long then VIP is probably your best choice financially.

If you plan on playing a while premium will win out everytime financially in the long term.

If you stay premium point pack sales and content sales are common and save you a HUGE amount if you wait for them.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast