Results 1 to 11 of 11

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    32

    Default Some advice on first GS wep(Rad II)

    So, i'm working on crafting the famous Rad II Kopesh (well, in my case it's a rapier since i'm a dex build) for my Assassin III Dual Wielding Finesse Rogue.
    It's my first time messing around with greensteel and i'd strongly appreciate some advice:

    The weapon i had in the crating planner would be

    A +5 GS rapier
    Tier 1: Holy
    Tier 2: Flaming burst
    Tier 3: Fire blast ('Flame burst' +4d6 fire on vorpal)
    Bonus 1: Aspect of Radiance I (sunbrust 2xday)
    Bonus 2: Aspect of Radiance II (blindness + 4d6 light damage on crit)

    Ok, now i don't know how this works so hopefully you guys can help me improve this by answering some questions:
    1- Would Flaming Burst and Fire blast Stack ? (crafting planner pre-made recipes seem to sugguest so, but doesnt hurt to be sure) Also, i'm concerned about the viability/usefulness of having fire on my weapon end game wise (thought it would help me when TRed in the 12-16s, but even so i wonder if there are better options). The packs i mainly run are Vale/Secrets of Artificers/Canith Challenges/ Orchard to some extent and might buy Reaver's Reach soon. Then again, it seems like it's the only damage element after chosing RadII so guess i don't have much choice

    2- Do i have to craft a Bonus 1 to be able to craft the bonus 2 radII? Because quite frankly sunburst seems quite useless.

    3- Also, for my other hand i was planning a purely dps rapier (perhaps LitII?), any suggestions on that? (since there i no paralyzing, thou i can tell i'll probably be switching to RadII+ Epic Envenomed Blade quite often) Other great option would be instead of going for pure dps on the offhand going for Acid+Acid Burst + Acid blast + Stone Grab (35 reflex) which one do you guys reckon to be best?

    Ok that's about some of the doubts i have, thanks for reading this and please share any bits of experience you might have to help a beginner :P

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Yes, they stack.
    Sunburst is a by-effect, you have no choice.

    Follow this link.
    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/

    choose rapier. click on Go
    then choose radiance.
    then Holy
    then flaming burst and flaming blast.

    then click on:
    how do I create this item?

    Follow the steps!

    I still use my Rad II (the II means it was made with a double shard) even though I got tons of other weapons. And even though now you can find random gen Radiance weps that were unavailable before U14.


    Indeed fire weps are not fantastic in a lot of the end-game in ebberon. but in Forgotten Realms, flame rocks. (Of course there are exception on both sides...)


    Regarding off hand there are tons of good weps now you can get for cheaper than another double shard GS, unless you got mats to spare. Like the http://ddowiki.com/page/Star_of_Day
    Like what you have the eEnv blade (I still have not managed to epic mine).
    Like epic Garos
    Some random loot generated weps.
    Situational stuff like smiting, disruption and banishing.
    Like crafted boss beaters.
    Last edited by SSFWEl; 09-24-2012 at 06:00 AM.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    81

    Default

    I made my RadII rapier for my Assassin yesterday and ran some FR content. Blinding your enemy is pretty handy. I won't say any more so hopefully they won't nerf it.

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    32

    Default

    hum. good to know. i'm currently running with Sirocco on my Elemental Rapier of Air 16, but the dc for the blindness effect is only 20, (35 with the lvl 20 version) and then a pair of Holy bursts with festival cold burst when dps is more pressing. That and Envenomed blades are allright, but they have high level req (much like most of the paralyzing/radiance random gen weps i've seen around) and seeing how i intend to tr after crafting the gs it would be a good help for afterwards. You do have a point about the mats thou, i probably just settle for a Holy burst rapier of Vampirirsm (canith crafting) on the side for lower levels or maybe some paralizying i can find in AH.

    Thank you for the help

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    343

    Default

    i made my radII rapier about a year ago when fire damage wasn't very helpful in endgame content. most were immune to fire damage. so i went with fire absorption which was very handy from level 12 on up. as a previous poster mentioned fire damage is again useful in the FR content.

    i am currently a level 8 TR rogue with the active rogue pastlife an i am looking forward to level 12 when i can grab my litII and radII from the tr bank

    either way i think you'll be very happy with a radII.
    if life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
    if life gives you pickles, well you're screwed. because pickleade sucks.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    599

    Default I prefer Fire Tier I, Good Tier II, and Fire Tier III

    I really prefer NOT to go holy tier I, and go Fire/Good/Fire instead which looks like this:

    +5 Greensteel Rapier (1d8, 18-20/x2) With Flaming, +1d6 Fire, Good Burst, +1d6 good, +3d6/4d6/5d6 vs non-good on crit - Sunburst (2/day), Flame Blast (1d10 * (critical multiplier -1) on Critical, + 4d6 on 20) - Radiance (+4d6 light damage + blindness on crit)

    Only because not everything is evil



    Quote Originally Posted by Posgildenlow View Post
    So, i'm working on crafting the famous Rad II Kopesh (well, in my case it's a rapier since i'm a dex build) for my Assassin III Dual Wielding Finesse Rogue.
    It's my first time messing around with greensteel and i'd strongly appreciate some advice:

    The weapon i had in the crating planner would be

    A +5 GS rapier
    Tier 1: Holy
    Tier 2: Flaming burst
    Tier 3: Fire blast ('Flame burst' +4d6 fire on vorpal)
    Bonus 1: Aspect of Radiance I (sunbrust 2xday)
    Bonus 2: Aspect of Radiance II (blindness + 4d6 light damage on crit)

    Ok, now i don't know how this works so hopefully you guys can help me improve this by answering some questions:
    1- Would Flaming Burst and Fire blast Stack ? (crafting planner pre-made recipes seem to sugguest so, but doesnt hurt to be sure) Also, i'm concerned about the viability/usefulness of having fire on my weapon end game wise (thought it would help me when TRed in the 12-16s, but even so i wonder if there are better options). The packs i mainly run are Vale/Secrets of Artificers/Canith Challenges/ Orchard to some extent and might buy Reaver's Reach soon. Then again, it seems like it's the only damage element after chosing RadII so guess i don't have much choice

    2- Do i have to craft a Bonus 1 to be able to craft the bonus 2 radII? Because quite frankly sunburst seems quite useless.

    3- Also, for my other hand i was planning a purely dps rapier (perhaps LitII?), any suggestions on that? (since there i no paralyzing, thou i can tell i'll probably be switching to RadII+ Epic Envenomed Blade quite often) Other great option would be instead of going for pure dps on the offhand going for Acid+Acid Burst + Acid blast + Stone Grab (35 reflex) which one do you guys reckon to be best?

    Ok that's about some of the doubts i have, thanks for reading this and please share any bits of experience you might have to help a beginner :P
    RTFM on Khyber

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    599

    Default Offhand rapier

    You know the Turbulent Epee is a great offhand rapier for a rogue, I think its underrated.

    Then again if you feel like spending mats make a Lit II.

    Regardless, unless you are crafting (lvl 90+), or making a Min II, the Turbulent Epee is a super cheap alternative DR Breaker. Very easy to get a couple (if you don't already have lying around)



    Quote Originally Posted by Posgildenlow View Post
    So, i'm working on crafting the famous Rad II Kopesh (well, in my case it's a rapier since i'm a dex build) for my Assassin III Dual Wielding Finesse Rogue.
    It's my first time messing around with greensteel and i'd strongly appreciate some advice:

    The weapon i had in the crating planner would be

    A +5 GS rapier
    Tier 1: Holy
    Tier 2: Flaming burst
    Tier 3: Fire blast ('Flame burst' +4d6 fire on vorpal)
    Bonus 1: Aspect of Radiance I (sunbrust 2xday)
    Bonus 2: Aspect of Radiance II (blindness + 4d6 light damage on crit)

    Ok, now i don't know how this works so hopefully you guys can help me improve this by answering some questions:
    1- Would Flaming Burst and Fire blast Stack ? (crafting planner pre-made recipes seem to sugguest so, but doesnt hurt to be sure) Also, i'm concerned about the viability/usefulness of having fire on my weapon end game wise (thought it would help me when TRed in the 12-16s, but even so i wonder if there are better options). The packs i mainly run are Vale/Secrets of Artificers/Canith Challenges/ Orchard to some extent and might buy Reaver's Reach soon. Then again, it seems like it's the only damage element after chosing RadII so guess i don't have much choice

    2- Do i have to craft a Bonus 1 to be able to craft the bonus 2 radII? Because quite frankly sunburst seems quite useless.

    3- Also, for my other hand i was planning a purely dps rapier (perhaps LitII?), any suggestions on that? (since there i no paralyzing, thou i can tell i'll probably be switching to RadII+ Epic Envenomed Blade quite often) Other great option would be instead of going for pure dps on the offhand going for Acid+Acid Burst + Acid blast + Stone Grab (35 reflex) which one do you guys reckon to be best?

    Ok that's about some of the doubts i have, thanks for reading this and please share any bits of experience you might have to help a beginner :P
    RTFM on Khyber

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Machination View Post
    You know the Turbulent Epee is a great offhand rapier for a rogue, I think its underrated.

    Then again if you feel like spending mats make a Lit II.

    Regardless, unless you are crafting (lvl 90+), or making a Min II, the Turbulent Epee is a super cheap alternative DR Breaker. Very easy to get a couple (if you don't already have lying around)
    Well, the Epic Venom Blade uses dex for damage modifier as well, so i reckon i'll default to it for offhand wep. When i can get the items to epic craft it anyways, though its still nice on the non-epic version. As for dr i've got most of the stuff i need and a pair of metalines if nothing else seems to be working, and though i do agree it's a relly good rapier i don't ave the harbringer pack to actually get it, sadly. And for lower levels i'll probably just canith craft as i go till i get to 16 again. But ty for the input.

  9. #9
    Community Member Brennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Posgildenlow View Post
    Well, the Epic Venom Blade uses dex for damage modifier as well, so i reckon i'll default to it for offhand wep. (...)
    Its late, so I'll be brief and only mildly relevent, but this is the best idea ever. For a dex build, or even a build where dex and strength are roughly euqual, using a dex-to-damage weapon in your offhand means instead of getting half of your strength for damage you get ALL of your dex! Booyah!

    As for Radiance Rapier - I think its a great idea. Others have answered yoru questions (Bonus 1 and bonus 2 are more-or-less just side effects of the good/fire/good+fire crafting process). Do remember that you need to dual-shard the third tier to get radiance! But radiance is *awesome*. When the majority of yoru damage comes from sneak attacks, and you can no-save blind enemies on any 15+ attack roll, that's when the magic starts. Note that Radiance *does* drop on some epic weapons now, but finding it on an epic rapier with decent kickers is not terribly likely (And will also happen 8-13 levels after you coul use greensteel...)

    PS - for TRing through the low levels, check out the new loot from Three Barrel Cove if you have it. Or pay someone to go grab them for you if you don't. Tiefling Assassin's Blade is pretty freaking amazing, and the Sky Pirate's Dagger isn't particularly shabby either (And if attempting to farm the Shortsword, the dagger rare/chest is literally on the way). My super unscientific testing on the Chieftain's Spear has rares spawning about 50% of the time, and named loot dropped from their chests about 25% of the time (or 12.5% chance of getting a particular named item per run). Sample size: About 10 runs, so hardly a large sample pool. Note that all three of these weapons are Strength OR dex to attack and damage!

  10. #10
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,954

    Default

    Forget about the weapons, and first craft a triple earth HP item. Earthgrab at level 11 FTW. No need to double shard it, so its cheap.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  11. #11
    Community Member Miow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    I like the kukri radII(high crit ranger for blinding) pairs nicely with the Epic midnight greetings for assassinating(at lev 20) and you can use rapiers for other stuff such as boss beaters if you like.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload