Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    417

    Default Abusing fatesinger sonic damage (archer)

    hey all. I just got to level 3 in the fatesinger ED for my archer (12 monk/6 ranger/2 artificer, 1 fighter past life), and I was looking for ways to exploit the sonic damage vulnerability. So far I've got the following.

    Shrieking/cacophonic weapons.
    Reign.
    Sonic vulnerability proc


    I was wondering if anyone else can think of any cool ways to pile on even more sonic damage? I haven't tested to see whether spellpower affects it yet--that's next on the list.

    More situational things I've identified, mostly because as a non-bard splash with no past lives I have a very, very limited number of songs:
    Blasting chime (situational, would rather not be getting hit too often)
    Dirge (uses a song)
    Chord of disruption (again, uses a song)
    Fragment of song: valor (concerned that the 2% proc isn't enough to keep it up dependably)
    Turn of the tide (though not on bosses--is it even worth taking this?)
    Twisting in primal scream from fury? Much better twists out there though.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

  2. #2
    Community Member Hendrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bell's Brewery, MI.
    Posts
    10,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
    hey all. I just got to level 3 in the fatesinger ED for my archer (12 monk/6 ranger/2 artificer, 1 fighter past life), and I was looking for ways to exploit the sonic damage vulnerability. So far I've got the following.

    Shrieking/cacophonic weapons.
    Reign.
    Sonic vulnerability proc


    I was wondering if anyone else can think of any cool ways to pile on even more sonic damage? I haven't tested to see whether spellpower affects it yet--that's next on the list.

    More situational things I've identified, mostly because as a non-bard splash with no past lives I have a very, very limited number of songs:
    Blasting chime (situational, would rather not be getting hit too often)
    Dirge (uses a song)
    Chord of disruption (again, uses a song)
    Fragment of song: valor (concerned that the 2% proc isn't enough to keep it up dependably)
    Turn of the tide (though not on bosses--is it even worth taking this?)
    Twisting in primal scream from fury? Much better twists out there though.
    Might want to change your wording.

    Unless, of course, you really are trying to exploit - the bad kind we dare not speak of.

    Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

    It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Nono, it's a good kind of exploit. The kind that makes fatesinger hurt at least as much as shiradi.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

  4. #4
    Community Member Ushurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
    Nono, it's a good kind of exploit. The kind that makes fatesinger hurt at least as much as shiradi.
    Oh...WELL THEN...we wouldn't want that...we wouldn't want something called "epic" to actually be epic...I say we need to call for a nerf on Fatesinger...nerf it...NERF IT!!

    I mean, really, isn't that the new mantra...

    Sorry I trolled...I will hang my head in shame and leave
    Argo server:
    Deadbot-Sorcerer Warforged // Weetawted - Wizard AM Warforged // Rattletrap - Light Monk Warforged // Baloons - Artificer Warforged // Mormorromrom - Favored Soul Human Evoker/Healer

  5. #5
    Community Member ZeebaNeighba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Pardon the necro, but does the harmonic resonance actually work on an archer? I swear I've just fired hundreds of shots without noticing it either on the enemies' debuffs examining them or a purple sonic number. Level 3 in fatesinger, just trying it out tonight for the first time (on my archer toon) since I mindlessly ground out the first 3 levels in some ED farm.

  6. #6
    Community Member Systern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Another thing to help you capitalize on the sonic vulnerability (to make the poster above me happy ) is the Wind Howler Bracers from the Assault on Stormreach pack, blockade buster quest. Adds a large sonic damage proc on vorpal.

    http://ddowiki.com/page/Wind_Howler_Bracers

  7. #7
    Community Member Hendrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bell's Brewery, MI.
    Posts
    10,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Systern View Post
    Another thing to help you capitalize on the sonic vulnerability (to make the poster above me happy ) is the Wind Howler Bracers from the Assault on Stormreach pack, blockade buster quest. Adds a large sonic damage proc on vorpal.

    http://ddowiki.com/page/Wind_Howler_Bracers
    Hehe, pet peeve - ty.



    Yes, Wind Howlers! Good call.

    Epic Elyd Edge has a Sonic Proc on it, not sure of the non-Epic version. Not seen one in a long time.

    Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

    It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Systern View Post
    Another thing to help you capitalize on the sonic vulnerability (to make the poster above me happy ) is the Wind Howler Bracers from the Assault on Stormreach pack, blockade buster quest. Adds a large sonic damage proc on vorpal.

    http://ddowiki.com/page/Wind_Howler_Bracers
    Any idea how well it would compare to the monk set bonus from eveningstar? +2 damage per hit already, and don't the windhowlers have a save for half? Good call though. I'll haul mine out.

    Regarding elyd: Unfortunately I'm more ranged, and centered. Well, I'd prefer to be centered.
    Last edited by sandypaws; 09-23-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

  9. #9
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    7,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
    Any idea how well it would compare to the monk set bonus from eveningstar? +2 damage per hit already, and don't the windhowlers have a save for half? Good call though. I'll haul mine out.

    Regarding elyd: Unfortunately I'm more ranged, and centered. Well, I'd prefer to be centered.
    I equipped Windhowler Bracers while farming EN Rusted Blades for destiny XP. From what I could see the damage proc was hitting for about 45/pop and never saw a save register against the red name boss. The marksmanship bonus on the bracers doesn't stack with Tailwind so that's a downer there. Not sure why the bracers were doing so much, maybe spell power (+52 universal from madstone boots) or loaded die or both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

  10. #10
    Community Member ZeebaNeighba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    I equipped Windhowler Bracers while farming EN Rusted Blades for destiny XP. From what I could see the damage proc was hitting for about 45/pop and never saw a save register against the red name boss. The marksmanship bonus on the bracers doesn't stack with Tailwind so that's a downer there. Not sure why the bracers were doing so much, maybe spell power (+52 universal from madstone boots) or loaded die or both.
    I got a quivering quiver myself a couple days ago and made the mistake of actually equipping it. So I tested windhowler procs on the training dummy while it was vulnerable with all my extra arrows.

    I divided all the values I got by 1.5, and if I had to make a guess, the damage is about 5d6+30. I got a low of 38, a high of around 55, there were many more procs in the 50s than the 30s, which means the average is probably slightly higher than 45 (the average of my 26 procs was actually 47.8). I had 56 potency on, but I've also seen similar numbers on my rogue and ranger who have nothing more than devotion gear on. I've never seen anything below 35 or above 60 either, so I don't think there's a save. But whatever, nice proc to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
    Blasting chime (situational, would rather not be getting hit too often)
    Oh, you'll be hit often enough. 1 in 5 hits, you get ~250-320 damage, imo it's worth it. Getting hit can also make the opponents more sonic vulnerable anyway.

  11. #11
    Hatchery Founder Glenalth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    A mountain fortress.
    Posts
    4,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    The marksmanship bonus on the bracers doesn't stack with Tailwind so that's a downer there.
    Did you actually test that or are you just going from what the inventory panel said?
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

  12. #12
    Community Member junta74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenalth View Post
    Did you actually test that or are you just going from what the inventory panel said?
    If that is true, I will have to redo the whole tree and get rid of it.

    edit: I just checked the wiki. It does say windhowlers doesn't stack with tailwind. Since O Fortuna doesn't stack with greater heroism you get no increase to saves from O fortuna if you have greater heroism, and +1 to hit and +2 to damage if you have windhowlers.

    This is definitely not worth 6 points in this ED.
    Last edited by junta74; 09-23-2012 at 02:01 PM.

  13. #13
    Community Member NovaNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Aotearoa, New Zealand
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
    ..... I'm more ranged, and centered. Well, I'd prefer to be centered.
    I hear you Sandy. : Guess mostly u encounter badies then shoot em up. 1 or 2 that close for melee u monk'em as u normally would (staying centred)

    My suggestion for dual fang of Siberys was in the context of: You are ambushed, or soloing, or the ***** hits the fan and u end up with agro +++ while others round u show off their pretty stones etc:

    => don your cacophonic guard robe (or wear Blasting Chime), dual weild fangs, sing Dirge, fire off Primal Screams while u fight rear-guard action slowly giving ground to keep most badies to your 12.
    Just have some good heal pots / scolls if u can etc and let them kill themselves on u rather than u killing them
    Last edited by NovaNZ; 09-29-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnofEntropy View Post
    Who wouldn't want to see Flizik the dwarf jamming to 'Devil went down to georgia' and smoking a pipe ...

  14. #14
    Community Member BinyaminTsadik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Pendant of the stormreaver


  15. #15
    Community Member junta74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
    Chord of disruption (again, uses a song)
    Fragment of song: valor (concerned that the 2% proc isn't enough to keep it up dependably)
    Turn of the tide (though not on bosses--is it even worth taking this?)
    Twisting in primal scream from fury? Much better twists out there though.
    I had Fragment and couldn't tell its effects so I switched it to something else.

    Chord is great, 18 seconds of orange names standing still getting more vulnerable to sonic and then about 2000 damage.

    I used Turn the tide during challenges when things got hairy and cleared a dozen or so trash mobs (I'm looking at you werewolves) around the boss.

    I haven't got primal scream yet.

    I'm also a bardcher so number of songs doesn't bother me.

    None of these is affected by spell power.

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Confirmed Junta's observation. Neither reign nor the windhowler bracer proc are affected by spellpower (getting around 80-100 from the windhowler on a vulnerably dummy, 200ish on reign. I'd be expecting the damage to jump to 200/400 from using the spellpower 90 blasting chime, and it isn't)

    Edit: It does seem like the save on windhowlers isn't working, though. I ran around in king's forest, where things should be making their DC22 save reasonably frequently, and didn't really see much under 35ish, purple or otherwise, when one might expect it to max at 30ish.
    Last edited by sandypaws; 09-23-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

  17. #17
    Community Member junta74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    223

    Default

    I'm sitting at 259 sonic spell power so I would really like it to affect it.

  18. #18
    Community Member NovaNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Aotearoa, New Zealand
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Just a thought.

    If you can live without being centred - consider twf with Dual fang of Siberys (scimitar - end reward of Reighn of Madness Quest chain).
    ADDIT - credit goes to Arlathen http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=385736

    Combined above with pj (with Cacophonic guard) and twist in Primal Sceam, and with your Resonance stacking sonic vulnerability - you can dish out some resonable melee AoE sonic damage.

    Honestly I do not believe Cacophony suffix on weapons is worth it. Annihilation is better DPS in my opinion.

    Also steam suffix weapons are better than Shreiking weapons for dps.

    GL
    Last edited by NovaNZ; 09-28-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnofEntropy View Post
    Who wouldn't want to see Flizik the dwarf jamming to 'Devil went down to georgia' and smoking a pipe ...

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NovaNZ View Post

    Honestly I do not believe Cacophony suffix on weapons is worth it. Annihilation is better DPS in my opinion.

    Also steam suffix weapons are better than Shreiking weapons for dps.

    GL
    Is this taking the vulnerability into account, or a general observation?
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

  20. #20
    Community Member NovaNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Aotearoa, New Zealand
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
    Is this taking the vulnerability into account, or a general observation?
    Hail Sandypaws (math is approx only)

    Cacophony -1% proc ~ 325 dmg/strike ~ 6 dmg/hit (low proc %, potential for sonic resistance, even with full 50% vulnerability ~ 9 dmg /hit)

    Annihilation - 2% proc ~ 458 dmg/strike ~ 9.15 dmg/hit (higher Proc %, untyped damage)

    Shreiking (2d6 sonic damage) = ave 7 dmg/hit increased up to 10.5 dmg/hit with 50% sonic vulnerbility applied.

    Steam (2d8 +8 untyped damage) = ave 17 dmg/hit
    Last edited by NovaNZ; 09-29-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnofEntropy View Post
    Who wouldn't want to see Flizik the dwarf jamming to 'Devil went down to georgia' and smoking a pipe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload