Default Everbright weapons for hirelings, please...

I’ve mentioned this before, but maybe the devs will pay attention to this thread instead of my others…

Please either give hirelings an Everbright weapon they will automatically switch to when fighting oozes, or just make it so they do not suffer damage to equipment.

It is ridiculous to me that professional mercenaries (which is how I view hirelings) would not know to avoid hitting oozes with their regular weapons when it means they will spend the rest of the quest punching at mobs.

I don’t often have melee hirelings, except for when I buy a rogue to do traps. When I buy a rogue, it is helpful to have them melee and it seems a reasonable use of their services (services I paid for, by the way.)

In any quest with oozes, I have to do one of the following with my rogue hireling:
    1. Park them on passive and only call them to me when there is a trap to disarm. This only works in the quests in which I know where all the traps are, which is certainly not 100% of all the quests in the game.
    2. Keep them with me all the time, but keep them on passive so they don’t do anything other than notice traps. This is a bit annoying, as it means I have an at least somewhat capable melee fighter standing around with their hands in their pockets during fights.
    3. Keep them with me and active all the time, but frantically switch them to passive when there are oozes nearby.

Since virtually every character that makes it off Korthos knows not to hit oozes with their main weapon, it seems reasonable that a professional mercenary with comparable experience would know the same thing. Can you imagine a high-level player character attacking oozes with his Lit II trash-beater until it crumbled to dust, and then shrugging and using his fists for the rest of the quest? And then doing that quest after quest after quest, no matter how many times it was pointed out to him how stupid it was and how easy it is to get an Everbright weapon?
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Guild: Guinness Knights

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Dang! Why didn't I think of that?

/signed
    I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just gonna ask 'em where they're going and hook up with 'em later on - Mitch Hedberg
    Silverweb - Silverwren - Silverware - Daydream - Dubbelklik

If you dismiss your hiring, wait the five minute refresh time and then recall them they will be equiped again. Can be a bit of a pain since with regular hirelings you will have to zerg back to the entrance, but it does provide a work-around. To your point, I agree, this is a silly mechanic that happen even at high lvls.

I think this is a good idea to compensate for hireling AI, similar to how they have +20 saves vs traps "because you are too dumb to move out of the way"

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

/signed

Watching a Hireling trying to beat not only oozes but also other enemies with the bare fists after the weapons are broken is clearly not fun. It alwys makes me feel ashamed that I'm not allowed to help him/her.

A private island with Johnny Depp, ahem, I mean my hubby

LOL

/signed

Made me remember the time I got a hireling and went into red fens. One ooze later and my hireling shield bashed the rest of the time! It was hilarious.
    When asked, "What are we going to do tonight?" the only acceptable answer is, "The same thing we do every night...Try to take over the world!"
    Sarlona - Auralana, Orcalana, JuicyLucy, Aquani, Wistia, Aurabella, Guildy, etc. If you see the last name Hather, it's either me or the hubby.

I think you have a good point, but oddly enough I'm not sure I agree.

Perhaps you give these professional mercs too much credit. I mean, sure you pay them, but they drink pots worth several times their wages so they clearly have no business sense.

I think it's funny how happy they are hitting oozes--usually they just stand too close to me when I'm in the middle of a bunch of cleaving mobs until they die.

It is always silly to see them at their dimmest.

I feel like hirelings need a few permanent buffs and/or gear adjustments at certain levels, for no otehr reason than to compensate for teh fact that they do not have the AI or versitility in gearing choices that players do. Something like:

Level 1 - All weapons are everbright, equipment gains Underwater Action

Level 3 - All weapons are ghost touch

Level 7 - Gains Deathblock on equipment somewhere (Dispell + instadeath spells just ruin these guys, since there is absolutely nothing the Player can do to prevent it)

Level 9 - Poison/Disease resist (Since poison and disease can come in VERY frequent intervals, it is not really possible to keep a hireling un-poisoned, unless they can cure it themselves)

Level 11 - Gains metalline on weapons

Level 13 - Gains aligned on weapons (Yes, this does mean they have DR bypasses in addition to whatever else they ahe on weapons. but lets face it, hireling have terirble weapons anyway, and they don't hit very hard at all. Even medium DR means that melee hirelings stop doing damage altogether)

There are probably other "Convenience" issues I'm forgetting. Please note that these suggestions are NOT meant to increase hireling damage ouput or to make them equivelent to human player sin any way. These suggestions are just mean tto take out some of the more annoying/dumb features of hirelings, and to make the melee/non-self sufficient hirelings less of a GIANT LIABILITY.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    I feel like hirelings need a few permanent buffs and/or gear adjustments at certain levels, for no otehr reason than to compensate for teh fact that they do not have the AI or versitility in gearing choices that players do. Something like:

Level 7 - Gains Deathblock on equipment somewhere (Dispell + instadeath spells just ruin these guys, since there is absolutely nothing the Player can do to prevent it)

Level 9 - Poison/Disease resist (Since poison and disease can come in VERY frequent intervals, it is not really possible to keep a hireling un-poisoned, unless they can cure it themselves)

Level 13 - Gains aligned on weapons (Yes, this does mean they have DR bypasses in addition to whatever else they ahe on weapons. but lets face it, hireling have terirble weapons anyway, and they don't hit very hard at all. Even medium DR means that melee hirelings stop doing damage altogether)

There are probably other "Convenience" issues I'm forgetting. Please note that these suggestions are NOT meant to increase hireling damage ouput or to make them equivelent to human player sin any way. These suggestions are just mean tto take out some of the more annoying/dumb features of hirelings, and to make the melee/non-self sufficient hirelings less of a GIANT LIABILITY.
    Don't forget resists!

Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post

Actually they have quite good weapons. I think one of the level 24 ones dual-wields Caught in the Web weapons for instance and it would not surprise me if some of them pack an eSOS.

That said IMO they should all use something quite universal (at high level that's something like the Epic Antique Greataxe that does decent damage to everything, at low level it might be a Metalline of Righteousness weapon). And they should be immune to weapon damage.

Edit: Oh and yes. Elemental resists!
    Last edited by sirgog; 09-21-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.