Community Member

Default Easy way to upgrade epic items

Instead of having devs go through all these epic items perhaps adding crafting tiers/levels to increase stats on the item would be better.

This would also add far more variability and customization(see below). Instead of having to go through and do a manual change I would assume the devs can go through and do mass changes on the items adding crafting upgrades.

Three examples are below.

-Epic Gloves of the Claw: Greater Vulkoor's Might, Strength +6, Intimidate +5, 30% Healing Amplification.

Currently lets give it 3 craft upgrades (whatever you want to call them). Using 2 of them I increase the str to +7 then +8. and healing Amp to +40%. Or I could of increased strength to +9. But this increases the level of the item to min level 23.

-Epic Seal of the Earth: Natural Armor Bonus +6, Greater Acid Resistance, Stoneskin (CL:20, 3/3 rest)

Lets say we give this item 4 crafts. I increase the natural armor bonus by 4 to +10, or i could of done epic acid resistance (50) and +2 natural armor bonus. Min level 23, id assess that min level should be independent and static simply because some items are underpowered.

Now a really POS item...

-Epic Spiked Turban: Protection +5, Resistance +5 (Yellow augment=greater false life colorless=exceptional con+1)

As a dev I would consider this item a big waste of time. But we can make it useable, lets give it 6 upgrades.

Still min level 23, but now I can go with prot 8 resistance 8; or i could upgrade yellow augment to superior false life (40) or epic false life (50). Or increase exceptional con.

As long as the devs properly rate the items as being powerful/average/poor and give an upgrade count approriately then this should work very well. The net effect will be that current weak items will become practical and have more variability and powerful items will become more powerful, albeit be less variable.

Thoughts?

I think you'll find, programming-wise, it's much easier to go back manually and rework the stats on an epic item then it would be to add a new system with multiple tiers that increase both stats and mL.

What I really think should happen is they should just remove several of the really unused epic items from the game. I'm all for having variety but I'm fairly certain there are some epic items that have never been made because random loot gen is better.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    What I really think should happen is they should just remove several of the really unused epic items from the game. I'm all for having variety but I'm fairly certain there are some epic items that have never been made because random loot gen is better.
    That could potentially remove epic items from the game like the Epic Ring of Spell Storing.

Every epiccable item has probably been epic'ed at least once.
    Visit the DDO Wiki! Unique items: Quest Rewards - Raid Loot - Chest Loot - Item Sets
    DDO Store List, with references on how you can gain items ingame for free!

leave the ML alone, as ML 20. The time and effort you need to put into making any Eberron epic should make them as strong if not stronger than any random lootgen you can get in the FR regardless of ML. Having mostly equivalent or slightly better stats while being ML 20 would serve that purpose.

Random lootgen should NEVER be the best in slot over named equipment, especially at level 20+

they are moving away from epic items and trying to just leave thme as they may be so i doubt any upgrades will happen unless its something like when they upgraded the epic phiarlian cloak
    Demons run when a good man goes to war

Thumbs up

I think this could be great.

Giving items a variable number of number of possible upgrades seems like an easy rebalancing. Something like this could give people something to strive for (wanna boost the crit multiplier on the eSoS? Grind your face flat! (Ppl would, I might too ) if performing the upgrades was made sufficiently grindy.

One thing though. I think the balancing of upgrades would have to be very carefully thought out. Ie I'd expect that increasing base modifiers +6 -> +7 -> 8 ets would be much less sexy than boosing other modifiers like base damage, crit range/multiplier, casting boosts etc. so some thought would have to be put into it.

I'd like it, that's for sure.

Community Member

I think the epic stuff is fine for L 20 BUT they REALLY need to give the new eveningstar **** slots... ESPECIALLY when almost EVERYTHING worth wearing from eveningstar is a set taking multiple spots in your gear selection. At no point in the game has it been a reasonable idea to wear gear 5 levels below you because it was the BEST choice, until possibly now.

Community Member

another point back to the OP ...

You want multiple Tier Epic items think how fun its going to be going from L20 to L23 rockin your greensteel...

or consider how fun it will be to grind out 2 versions of your favorite Epic items, 1 for L20, and another at L23 WOOT

sounds fun to me...

Yeah combine ED grind with item grind win win

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    another point back to the OP ...

You want multiple Tier Epic items think how fun its going to be going from L20 to L23 rockin your greensteel...

or consider how fun it will be to grind out 2 versions of your favorite Epic items, 1 for L20, and another at L23 WOOT

sounds fun to me...
    is this post hard to understand
    not multiple tiers just customization upgrades