Default What constitutes BTC on equip when crafting unbound item?

I havent done much unbound crafting until recently when my Arti got up to lvl 90 in all schools. So tonight, I grabbed a base ring, disjuncted it and prepared it for crafting, made an unbound underwater action shard and an unbound swim +10 shard. After applying a shard of potential +6 then +7, I crafted the ring which became BTC on equip. I was under the assumption that crafting unboud shards were to be used so that you can make unbound items. And no, the ring was not originally a BTA item. Thx in advance.
    Thelanis: Vioxxx. Ravyn. Sykotik. Fuggly. Malefic. Blackndecker. Alchemyst. Twotone. Devient. Xeric. Alterboi. Taiping. Pickit. Arcanjel, et al.

Its not how you play the game but if you're gonna play the game to win!

I've never used an unbound shard, but the wiki agrees with your experience:

Blank items are combined with shards to create the final item. Unbound blank items combined with bound shards become Bound to Character On Acquire; unbound blanks combined with unbound shards become Bound to Character On Equip (so the crafted item can still be sold/traded before being equipped).
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Default Thx was too lazy to look it up

Well, that kinda sux. It almost negates the whole unbound crafting idea cuz the item gets bound to whatever character you give it too, never to be swapped between toons. That burns a lot of essences to ideally craft bound items for each character.
    Thelanis: Vioxxx. Ravyn. Sykotik. Fuggly. Malefic. Blackndecker. Alchemyst. Twotone. Devient. Xeric. Alterboi. Taiping. Pickit. Arcanjel, et al.

Community Member

If you're after something that you can pass around your alts, Bound to account items (such as from Sharn Syndicate quests) can have bound or unbound shards applied to them, and will stay bound to account.

Default Thanks I have plenty of those items but..

Quote Originally Posted by Khatzhas View Post
    If you're after something that you can pass around your alts, Bound to account items (such as from Sharn Syndicate quests) can have bound or unbound shards applied to them, and will stay bound to account.
    I was out of rings and was too lazy to farm for one. Just thought i would make one real quick. Appreciate the heads up though.

Community Member

Unbound shards simply mean that you can pass the shards freely. Once the shard is applied to an item it becomes bind to character no matter whether it was a bound or unbound shard. The only exception is when applied to a Bound to Account item, the item remains BtA instead of becoming BtC.
    Andrialla / Archellus / Corylone / Rorifeela / Rugare / Slappi / Sylvarian
    Knight of The Silver Legion (Forum name: Rugar)
    Cannith

I was out of rings and was too lazy to farm for one. Just thought i would make one real quick. Appreciate the heads up though.
    Running "Stand Your Ground" twice will basically guarantee that you receive a BtA ring that you can blank for crafting.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.