Community Member

Default Little help rounding out a group

So, I finally talked some family members into playing ddo, and now I need to try to make this a good experience so they'll stick around. Thus, it falls to me to make sure our merry little band can make it through most quests. So far we have one who will play our divine, and 3 melees. Here's where I need your help: What should I be to make sure we cover any other needed bases?

I figure I need to be able to get traps, but from there I'm not sure. My first thought is Wiz/Rog so I can cover traps and throw down some cc, etc. That being said, I'm open to other ideas about how best to help out this bunch of misfits. Just FYI, I am VIP and have all races and classes available. Thanks in advance for any help.

artificer

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

human 18 wizard 2 rogue covers the buffs, traps and general magic ownage.

For the 3 melee members, I would suggest you tell them to try different builds. Preferably different weapon and armor types, so they don't all want to get the good Khopesh that was looted. If they will listen to your suggestions, 3 melee could be split into monk, 2handed barb or fighter and s&b druid or fighter or paladin.

Community Member

Thanks for the replies already!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormraiser View Post
    For the 3 melee members, I would suggest you tell them to try different builds. Preferably different weapon and armor types, so they don't all want to get the good Khopesh that was looted. If they will listen to your suggestions, 3 melee could be split into monk, 2handed barb or fighter and s&b druid or fighter or paladin.
    One is going to be a monk, and one is going to be a fighter. The third hasn't made up his mind yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    artificer
    I do love my current artificers. My only concern would be that the group then would have little or no cc.

Is cc important enough that I should put it in the group, or is it not that big of a deal?

Default Some ideas

1. Artificer.

Artificer covers traps, ranged, buffs, supplementary dps, and back up healing.

Artificer provides great back up healing with wands, scrolls, and spells, back up cures with wands, scrolls, & spells, and if you are willing to lug around a lot of wands, scrolls, and clickies you can cast just about every buff a wizard can without using any sps.

D-door is the only thing I really miss on my arti as the scrolls are hard to come by. But a human arti with the lesser dragon mark of passage is an option that will take care of that.

Flame turret is great a low levels and you get blade barrier and tactical detonation. Plus all the weapon buffs should make the melees happy.

2. Wiz/Arti (19/1)

This might be a better combo for you than Wiz/Rog (18/2). You won't get evasion, but you will get more sps, some low level melee buffs you can use right away, all the trap and umd skills, and access to repeaters at level 1 (which are devastating at low level). The dog will always remain a puppy, but it will still come in handy now and then for pulling the occasional trapped lever.

Alternatively you could go Wiz/Arti 18/2 for the construct essences feat and access to rune arms.

3. Sorc/Arti or Sorc/Rog

You could go Sorc/Arti (19/1) for sheer nukage (vs Wiz/Arti). The high charisma and class UMD (from arti) will enable you to use just about any wand, scroll, spell to help heal and buff the party. You'll get more sps than Sorc/Rog, and you'll have access to repeaters at low levels. The dog is lagniappe.

If you want evasion, then Sorc/Rog (18/2) works. You just delay access to your third tier of sorc prestige until level 20 vs L19 for a 19/1 Sorc/Arti.

4 Bard/Arti

Go funky with a Barti/Bardificer. Great party buffs, traps, UMD, back up heals, bard CC, and backup dps with the battle artificer prestige.

Probably won't be as powerful as any of the other three above options at L17-20, but it is versatile and could be a lot of fun to play in a static group.
    Last edited by Postumus; 09-19-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crudd26 View Post

I do love my current artificers. My only concern would be that the group then would have little or no cc.

Is cc important enough that I should put it in the group, or is it not that big of a deal?
    Depending on your divine, you might be fine with the CC. An evoker FvS or Cleric should have plenty of CC for that group. With the backup healing from a well prepared Arti, even a cleric should have enough SPs to CC and heal.

If your third melee is undecided, you might steer him/her toward paladin or tempest ranger just to get another healing capable party member.

Community Member

Your last melee should probably go with a barbarian, and two handed weapons. By choosing this option, you get two very sturdy toons who basically can't be messed up. Two handed weapons are, with the exception being raid loots, extremely common. Give them each a Carnifex or a +2 holy of bleeding falchion, and they'll be happy.

As for you, I am a fan of the wizard(18)/rogue(2) option, especially on Warforged, but an artificer could work too. I like to splash monk on my artificers though so they gain evasion, AND more feats, which is something I notice very few artis do...

Community Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! Our third melee decided to be a barbarian. And I think I'll try a 18 wiz/2 rog since I already have four arti's at various levels. If I can't figure out the wiz/rog I figure I can always switch over to an arti. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated still. Thanks again for all the help Orien!

Community Member

When I first started playing DDO, one of the things that struck me as kind of odd was that CC had pretty much no place in the game. That really surprised me, as other games I'd played (EQ, DAoC, LotRO) encouraged- in some instances, demanded- the use of CC. My first character here was a Wizard and I took some CC spells along with my damage and buffs. While the damage and buffs were appreciated by groups, I actually caught a bit of flack from players for "wasting mana" when I cast a CC spell. Once I got into what was then end-game content (Shroud), CC was a bit more valued but no groups built themselves around the tactic of using effective crowd control to complete a quest. It just wasn't seen as being necessary or even desired.

Then came the expansion.

Crowd Control is now a major part of the game, so much so that I respecced by Wizard to maximize his DCs with Mass Hold and Sphere of Dancing. I've always thought that damage prevented or avoided is better than damage healed and I think that more players agree with that now than before the expansion.

As much as I love my Arti, I think you made the right decision in going WIZ/ROG. If you can get your group to work with you as you practice CC, everyone will know how best to take advantage of what those spells do, with the result being easier quest completions and less disasters.
    In an election, always vote for the candidate who likes big butts....because, you know, they cannot lie.

KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by crudd26 View Post
    So, I finally talked some family members into playing ddo, and now I need to try to make this a good experience so they'll stick around. Thus, it falls to me to make sure our merry little band can make it through most quests. So far we have one who will play our divine, and 3 melees. Here's where I need your help: What should I be to make sure we cover any other needed bases?

I figure I need to be able to get traps, but from there I'm not sure. My first thought is Wiz/Rog so I can cover traps and throw down some cc, etc. That being said, I'm open to other ideas about how best to help out this bunch of misfits. Just FYI, I am VIP and have all races and classes available. Thanks in advance for any help.
    1arty/19 wizard or 1rogue/19wizard be warforge for both
    can solo almost any quest I know you do not want to solo you want to group but having someone in party that is very powerful build can save the day and make it so you can do all quests.
    stats I suggest max intel max con rest of points put wherever you want doesnt really matter.

Core build for almost any quest is very standard
    Divine
    trapper
    melee
    caster

with the above builds you can combine trapper and caster also you are self healing so not really divine but still good.

If you prefer to play melee and want self healing I would split with rogue and druid.
    9rogue/11druid
    massivheals / massivsponge - Orien server
    Member of Blood bath and Beyond
    Guild webpage-
    http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.asp...&TabID=3674790

I'd have to go rogue splashed bard for this one ThF.
    Some damage , trap skills , songs , umd for arcane buffs and CC and back up heals.

Seems like the total package for you your little group
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Community Member

Thanks for all the help again guys. One last question: is it worth to rogue levels to get evasion, or are 19 wizard levels better? Thanks again Orien.

Quote Originally Posted by Varashad View Post
    Two handed weapons are, with the exception being raid loots, extremely common. Give them each a Carnifex or a +2 holy of bleeding falchion, and they'll be happy.
    Except neither of the weapons you mention is common.

How do you 'give them each a Carnifex' in a static group full of new(ish) players?