Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Will turbine ever put the Onyx Panther in the DDO store?

I haven't played in a year. I heard about the onyx panther and looked it up. I thought this was perfect for my wizard that I had been playing before I went off to play other games.

I was ready to put down 80$ for the collectors edition plus restore my VIP subscription. Then I realized that the collectors edition is no longer available. So I ended up buying Guild Wars 2 instead.

If Turbine ever makes the Onyx Panther available again I will happily pay $30+ for it and I will resume my VIP subscription. It is the coolest item I have seen offered in this game. I just wish I had known about it when it was available.

Community Member changelingamuck's Avatar

The onyx panther was also a pre-order incentive. A bonus to players who bought the new expansion in collector's edition form without having played it. And since it was advertised as a limited time only exclusive, they can't go back on that commitment by putting it in the ddo store without alienating the trust of their customer base.

So, I would say it's extremely unlikely that you'll see it available again in the future. I wouldn't be all that surprised if we another hireling like it available in the future though, just not the same one.

For the reasons mentioned:

They should not.

They better not.

"Multi-Classing: If you don't know what you are doing...please don't do it."
    Arkkanoz / Barbarrus / BoarAxe / Bruttus / Dahlamaar / Dexxaan / Dominattrix / Gregorius / Inquisittor / Mechanikkus / Predattor / Suntzzu / Valkeerya

I'm willing to bet that either the Panther or something very much like it will be in the Store by June of next year.

I'm pretty certain it will be re-released eventually, maybe just as a regular store hireling though, but if you're ready to pay up 30$ that will buy you enough gold seal hirelings to last the entire game probably.

Something along the lines of; 'Celestial lion' gold seal hireling (ie just renamed and re-textured to transparent blue).

All the "Exclusive" cosmetic pets have already been re-released in a re-textured and renamed version so the Panthers day will come as well most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I'm willing to bet that either the Panther or something very much like it will be in the Store by June of next year.
    I honestly am shocked that something isn't there already. Panther shouldn't be, since that was a bonus for buying the CE pre-order.

Given Turbine's actions lately, they could do no more to alienate their customer-base's trust. There isn't any left to alienate.
    It was the night before Hogswatch....

Optimus Prime/Grimlock 2016 Because in diplomacy, sending in the Dinobots is the only answer.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by elvorix View Post
    I haven't played in a year. I heard about the onyx panther and looked it up. I thought this was perfect for my wizard that I had been playing before I went off to play other games.

I was ready to put down 80$ for the collectors edition plus restore my VIP subscription. Then I realized that the collectors edition is no longer available. So I ended up buying Guild Wars 2 instead.

If Turbine ever makes the Onyx Panther available again I will happily pay $30+ for it and I will resume my VIP subscription. It is the coolest item I have seen offered in this game. I just wish I had known about it when it was available.
    you should have had an email about the pre-order offers, dig in your spam can to see if you have turbine emails in there and then flag them as not spam. that way if another tasty offer comes along you'll know about it.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

I hope it never does end up in the store.

But looking at Lotro, I would not be surprised.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Since a lot of people will feel hurt that they're no longer special because any new comer will be able to get their shiny toy its probably not going to be in store. But I bet they'll add some sort of permanet hireling to store in future.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Question

The Onyx Panther Pet or the Onyx Panther "Hireling" ?

Community Member

While I can certainly understand why some people wouldn't wish this to become widely available if I'm honest I kinda hope they do release it in some form.

I pre-ordered MotU but simply didn't have much money at the time and could only afford the base pack and the panther would be really useful for my Ranger. (That or give Rangers our bloody Animal Companions already).

If they do then how are we supposed to take them seriously in the future?
    The Blood of the Red Dragon

Community Member DeafeningWhisper's Avatar

It kinda kills the whole "limited offer" appeal to sells thou, who would buy something knowing it will go on sell *with* all the perks in the future?

Keeping perks limited to the offer will boost sells in the future, since players will know it's the only way to get that limited item.
    "Pike or do not. There is no lag."

While it makes no game play difference to me if other people can buy the panther or not, I believe they stated that it was a limited off and would never be available if you didn't get it through the pre-order collector's edition.

For that reason alone, I would hope it never appears in the DDO store.

-JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zorth View Post
    If they do then how are we supposed to take them seriously in the future?
    Well.. that's just the thing isn't it. They've already re-released all of the "exclusive" cosmetic pets, so I have no illusion of exclusive meaning exclusive in DDO anymore.

The only question is what color the panther will be when it's re-released.

(not that I mind really, it's just nice to know what words mean in corporate language :P Kind of like the limited time offers in the store, first time the pets came back I raised an eyebrow and was a bit confused about the choice of words, later on you know that limited time means once a month or something like that)
    Last edited by legendlore; 09-17-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by legendlore View Post
    The only question is what color the panther will be when it's re-released.
    I would buy a Pink Panther.
    boo-tai jung-tzahng-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We love fansites!
    <*cough*B.S.*cough*>
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    There will be bugs!

Default color

if they do re-release the panther i hope it will be pink, that way the only ones to summon it would be the ones that REALLY need it

Quote Originally Posted by Pape_27 View Post
    I would buy a Pink Panther.
    I would as well, but only if it has the official theme music while using it's sneak trick ^^

Most likely there will be other "Figurines of wondrous power" in the future. Possibly not in the store...since that would devalue store hireling contracts.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems...fWondrousPower

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    if they do re-release the panther i hope it will be pink, that way the only ones to summon it would be the ones that REALLY need it
    I would reserve one slot specially for a Pink Panther. After all, I have all the DVDs, movies and cartoons included.
    It was the night before Hogswatch....

Optimus Prime/Grimlock 2016 Because in diplomacy, sending in the Dinobots is the only answer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast