Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: +4 tomes

Community Member

Default +4 tomes

I hate them. Been trying to pull one with a +2 Jewel since MotU is out and still haven't pulled one for my gf nor me.

Haaaate them. That's all.

Welcome to the club. Why should your experience be any different? Pulling a +4 Tome is going to be a super rare event. If someone if telling you they are common, you are gullible, or the other person is an idiot... flat out facts.
    Male Fairy: "Dont cry my dear. You know what I do when I'm sad?"
    Felicia Day Fairy: "Look douchy..."

Quote Originally Posted by mournbladereigns View Post
    Actually, if this Nerf's one of Shade's barb's I doubly support this!

Jewels do not help.

Try chests that have named items on Epic Elite difficulty. They do drop but are super rare.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Jewels do not help.

Try chests that have named items on Epic Elite difficulty. They do drop but are super rare.
    Aren't Tomes supposed to be random loot => Jewel affecting them? Last I heard that's how it worked.

I'm trying The Portal opens, Trial by Fury, The Deal and the Demon EE (quests with a lot of chests and relatively easy to do) but no luck.

Interested in the Jewel thing thou. I might stop using them (even if I need a +6 magnetism scepter, another super rare item).

+4 tomes are a special drop, not random loot and are not effected by loot gems, at least not in the way you are hoping. You cannot increase your % chance of pulling a tome by using a loot gem. That being said, it's believed that the +4 tomes coming from Forgotten Realms epic elite chests are a different situation altogether. They are specific to certain chests and only on epic elite. Opening the same chest on epic hard, even with a +3 loot weekend and a +2 gem with a chest blesser and 3BC map in effect would still only get you a +3 tome (if you were lucky enough to roll a tome on the loot table)

Long story short, if you're looking for +4 tomes, don't bother with the loot gem, just run epic elites and hope for some luck.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    +4 tomes are a special drop, not random loot and are not effected by loot gems, at least not in the way you are hoping. You cannot increase your % chance of pulling a tome by using a loot gem. That being said, it's believed that the +4 tomes coming from Forgotten Realms epic elite chests are a different situation altogether. They are specific to certain chests and only on epic elite. Opening the same chest on epic hard, even with a +3 loot weekend and a +2 gem with a chest blesser and 3BC map in effect would still only get you a +3 tome (if you were lucky enough to roll a tome on the loot table)

Long story short, if you're looking for +4 tomes, don't bother with the loot gem, just run epic elites and hope for some luck.
    Interesting enough. The +4 tomes pulled I've heard are always for someone with a +2 jewel, that can't be a coincidence. Also, in Shade's tracker everyone that posted a +4 tome pulled in non-raid has +2 jewels on (or loot bonus).

So, this is a case of extreme coincidence or has anyone pulled them (with a SS maybe) without Jewel/loot weekend in an EE quest (non-raid)?

PS: I know I might be wrong here but I prefer to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by Tid12 View Post
    Interesting enough. The +4 tomes pulled I've heard are always for someone with a +2 jewel, that can't be a coincidence. Also, in Shade's tracker everyone that posted a +4 tome pulled in non-raid has +2 jewels on (or loot bonus).

So, this is a case of extreme coincidence or has anyone pulled them (with a SS maybe) without Jewel/loot weekend in an EE quest (non-raid)?

PS: I know I might be wrong here but I prefer to be sure
    The people running epic elite in the first place are those most likely to be running a gem at the same time. I know I don't bother with a loot gem while leveling up as the loot (while higher in level) isn't anything special I can't pull later. When running the highest tier content, a loot gem can get you loot above and beyond the standard loot table for random generated items so it stands to reason that in content that can drop +4 tomes, there will be a higher percentage of players using loot gems.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    The people running epic elite in the first place are those most likely to be running a gem at the same time. I know I don't bother with a loot gem while leveling up as the loot (while higher in level) isn't anything special I can't pull later. When running the highest tier content, a loot gem can get you loot above and beyond the standard loot table for random generated items so it stands to reason that in content that can drop +4 tomes, there will be a higher percentage of players using loot gems.
    True. I did never bother with Jewels until MotU

But that doesn't mean that +4 unbound aren't affect by +2 Jewels. If someone can prove me wrong posting a SS of a +4 tome without Jewel and not on loot bonus, then I can be sure I'm wrong.

Not seen any either. I always have +2 gems running, placebo effect or force of habit. Not seen any +4's. I've done 5 of the new quests on EE too. Ah well, will be nice if and when one finally drops.

True. I did never bother with Jewels until MotU

But that doesn't mean that +4 unbound aren't affect by +2 Jewels. If someone can prove me wrong posting a SS of a +4 tome without Jewel and not on loot bonus, then I can be sure I'm wrong.
    Can't prove it, but the one +4 I saw pulled was from the Dun'Robar Matron chest on EE to someone with no loot boosts. It DID NOT replace their normal loot (+3s take the place of the item you would otherwise have got).
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Can't prove it, but the one +4 I saw pulled was from the Dun'Robar Matron chest on EE to someone with no loot boosts. It DID NOT replace their normal loot (+3s take the place of the item you would otherwise have got).
    Was it on a +2 loot weekend?

That is my main concern. Named loot (tomes should be named, shouldn't they?) usually replace random loot in a chest. +4 tomes currently don't. That makes me think that they are included in the Random loot table.

Founder

+4s used to be in the level 27 loot tables but were removed in update 19. They may be in the 30 or 31 loot tables.

I pulled an unbound +4 Wisdom Tome in a CITW run 3 nights ago. I ran it on EH and did not have a gem running. I usually get nothing on CITW and finally I get something. I have never pulled a +4 tome in the 3 years I have been playing. Awesome. That raid always takes a lot out of me.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Default +4 Strength tome. The First and the only one I have ever received.

I have only pulled one my entire time in this game, (+4 Str), and that was the end reward in Giant hold for doing an Elite, Heroic run of the quests. Cannot remember which one it was.

Quote Originally Posted by maddong View Post
    +4s used to be in the level 27 loot tables but were removed in update 19. They may be in the 30 or 31 loot tables.
    If you were trying to celebrate this post's first birthday, you were off by more than a week.

Interesting enough. The +4 tomes pulled I've heard are always for someone with a +2 jewel, that can't be a coincidence.
    Not saying that your impression couldn't be true, but a little part of me dies inside whenever people present anecdotal evidence, as well, evidence. People have a tendency to try to see patterns or claim causation from anecdotes when no relationship truly exists, its just random noise we make into patterns to give sense to things. So many halflings have pointlessly lost their lives because of anecdotal evidence.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    If you were trying to celebrate this post's first birthday, you were off by more than a week.
    This is really important, because most of the posts in this thread pre-date the +4 tome changes in U16 (explained in a post by Feather at some point, written in the wiki now), and also the changes in U19 (still unexplained and not particularly well understood, at least by me or the wiki). That means most of it is incorrect with respect to the current game.

A loot weekend seems like it might be time to start trying to find +4 tomes again with jewels running. If they reverted to the previous formula, you need a lvl 31 chest - Stormhorns EH = 28 + loot weekend +2 = 30, so you need something else to get to 31+. For purposes of learning what chest level they drop in, avoiding EE would be preferable, since previous EEs in Eveningstar have +4 tomes as fixed loot on the EE table, regardless of chest level (although at a horrible droprate), so in theory you could get a +3 OR a +4 tome from them, and it doesn't help find the random loot chest level.

Community Member

A jewel would raise the chest level by 2 so it would give you a chance to pull a +4 tome instead of a +3 tome, I believe you needed a chest level of 27 to get a +4 tome so with a jewel you could get it on a chest that was level 25-26. With a jewel and +2 bonus weekend (now) you could get a +4 tome on a level 23 chest.

It doesn't increase your chances of getting a tome, it just allows you to get a better tome in some cases.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Not sure about +4 Ability Tomes but I just pulled this +5 Heal Skill Upgrade Tome today during the +2 Loot while running a loot gem in Stormhorns zone doing my usual farm of placating the poacher with the three chests.

During past +2 Loot weekends I pulled a couple +4 Ability Tomes with a +2 loot gem in High Road zone doing random encounters. This was when High Road was new though, no screens on those, sorry .

ELITE RAIDERS
    Xevlen
    . Jibcutter . Pipehitter . Seanconnery-
    Live Twitch Feed - Youtube Channel - Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Got unbound +4 wis tome in en fot(+2 loot weekend is on) from big chest.
    To post it here too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast