Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    they dont stack, so would you enlighten me and say why i should read a +3 tome when i already have one applied on that stat?
    I didn't say you. I said me.

The reason: Over the course of five toons and three years I have only seen two +3 tomes of any stat drop, and one was an end reward from Shroud. So chances are I haven't read a +3 one and if the toon I'm running can use the boost, I'm reading it right there, quest be damned!
    I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just gonna ask 'em where they're going and hook up with 'em later on - Mitch Hedberg
    Silverweb - Silverwren - Silverware - Daydream - Dubbelklik

Aside from that Leather alone is very tough and does not burn easily and it takes really strong Acid to desolve it.[/COLOR]
    We are talking strong fires and strong acid anyways, the likes of Reenter the Kobold that breaks half your stuff.

However it shouldn't be an issue on the first place because permanent damage is surely a MMO thing,
    whereas on PnP you can repair a magic item as if it were non-magical, and it doesn't lose its properties.
    Granted it'd take more than mend to reconstitute burnt writing but still not as hard as creating it.

Quote Originally Posted by zarthak View Post
    /signed

ALSO make mana pots,xp,guild pots NOT breakable. seeing my xp pots getting broken sucks, same goes for mana pots
    Dear God, yes! Can we switch the subject of this post and make it about this instead? I carry around stacks of all five varieties of mnemonic pots and the only ones it every seems to break when I roll a natural 1 are the Major pots. Sometimes 3 at a time! Seriously!?!

Community Member

Most Slashing Weapons do not cut paper.
    They have an edge but that edge is not made sharp.

exceptions are mostly Katana like i said, as the Katana was used against unarmored or lightly armored with cloth/wood/bambus armor. Only the richest folks had metal plates or threads to toughen it. there are more weapons like the Katana, but in regions with Metal Armor common almost no weapon had sharp edges

khopesh, scimitar, greatsword are not sharp they have an edge but that edge does not cut paper, you even have a hard time cutting your finger on it.
    and all Axe that are used for war are not sharp.

that edge is from 1mm to several mm. \_/
    would the weapon have a razor sharp edge the first few hits on Armor/Shield would dent the edge and make it way more ineffective then the broad edge.
    also hits against other weapon would inflict to much damage onto the blade
    Scimitars, sabres etc, are functionally the same as katana: a curved blade to aid a slash against unarmoured flesh. All of them rely on the sharpness of their edge and all have fairly equivalent performance.

Straight western medieval swords aren't generally as sharp, but they most certainly had an effective edge: remember that most of the combatants of the time did not wear metal armour. The half-sword and mordhau type techniques generally relied on wearing gauntlets. Likewise for axes: the blades are light, thin, and generally very sharp.
    Sword techniques were not about hammering at an armoured opponent: there was very little blade contact precisely because it would damage the edges. There was a lot of avoidance by movement, countercutting, wrestling and thrusting.

Also remember that we're not talking about slashing up a free piece of paper here, we're cutting into a solid book.

and they get damaged 90% of the time till quest ending
    Then all I can say is that you have been really, really unlucky.

For the record, the CA book has an entry for "protecting a spellbook".
    Leather has negligible hardness, zero hp, 100 pages of parchment have zero hardness, negligible hp.
    Best listed easy-to-get non-magical choice is metal foils, which still gives little on hardness and hp (durability in ddo).

The common spellbook is replaceable, a wizard would keep the good ones safe, hidden and proofed.
    Magical protections cost multiples of 1000 gp and include energy resistance, waterproof, pest repelent, etc.

Stat tomes are regular magic items, mean you can use any book you want as base item.
    One would assume they come proofed, but you otherwise it is up to the creator.
    (unlike xp tomes, those were artifacts)

The real protection is from where you store or carry it and the rule that magic items need be targeted to get damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatzhas View Post
    Scimitars, sabres
    tc, are functionally the same as katana: a curved blade to aid a slash against unarmoured flesh. All of them rely on the sharpness of their edge and all have fairly equivalent performance.
    Interestingly enough, the scimitars and katanas are on the way to become finesse weapons as we speak, on d&d next (aka 5e).
    Last edited by donfilibuster; 09-19-2012 at 10:15 PM.

first, good point
    but a highly magical book should not take much damage from magic or?
    at least for me it sounds like fighting fire with benzol

also i cant imagine that the creators of this books invest thousands of experience points and huge amounts of Time and Platin to create them and not make them tough.
    Tough like inbuilt damage and elemental absorb like all the precious Spellbooks get.

Aside from that Leather alone is very tough and does not burn easily and it takes really strong Acid to desolve it.
    You mean like how all my magical buffs just manage to make me impervious to all magical damage?

Right... these books are abundant, why would you claim that the creators invest so much into creating them.
    Sarkiki - Orexis - Pallikaria - Epithymia - Musouka - Empnefsi | Cannith Server

Community Member

Perhaps it is the magical nature of the tome itself that makes it more fragile. Maybe the mystical energies used to inscribe the tome and what transfers the knowledge and capability (ie, stat points) to the reader makes the medium weaker then normal and exceedingly difficult to properly ward. Of course, if you're thinking in that vein, why not wonder why the original creator lost the tome? I mean, if they're spending the time, energy, and resources to make the tome (and potentially ward it), why does the tome show up in Random Treasure Chest #149?

Additionally, while a phone book may be hard to completely destroy, it is not magical in nature. Perhaps the enchantment itself is fragile; a few torn pages might not mean much to the book's welfare, but to the mystical nature of the tome, it might be disastrous. A "completely destroyed" tome might have a limited amount of actual damage to the pages and whatnot, but the enchantment's just disrupted too much to exist.

Default *cough , Bank

Aside from Mnemonic potions and any other useful potion for everyday questing, why are they in your backpack?

If you loot a guild pot, or renown pot, or xp pot, or tome/manual and it gets destroyed before the quest is over. Well that is simply you rolling a 1 over and over again. Rare but possible.

Renown Pots, Xp Pots and tomes/manuals should be used, or put in bank. If you "choose" to carry them, you are asking to loose them.

-Bunk

P.S. As for major mnemonic potions. Well some players think they are over-powered. So once in a while, you get smacked with a Fireball, roll a 1, and poof a potion gets destroyed. If you choose to carry something "potentially over-powered", then you choose to risk loosing it.

Community Member obscure.jester's Avatar

Default talking about logic....

when you'll realise you are running around with one or more entire armors in a portable hole bag plus an armery, a jewelry store, a bank in plat and an enitre collection of shoes, in a world where there are some guys who never go to sleep and are 24/7/365 stuck in a bar waiting to teleport your soul back from the deads, you won't probably bother much about the realistic hardness of a tome.
    I fail better than anyone else

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by obscure.jester View Post
    when you'll realise you are running around with one or more entire armors in a portable hole bag plus an armery, a jewelry store, a bank in plat and an enitre collection of shoes, in a world where there are some guys who never go to sleep and are 24/7/365 stuck in a bar waiting to teleport your soul back from the deads, you won't probably bother much about the realistic hardness of a tome.
    Ah, but what you didn't know is that one of the requirements to being a soul binder is that you must be one of a set of triplets, all devoted to the same cause. They just change shifts when you're not looking.
    Anything can be explained by drunken wizards.

"Hey! I got a piece of the +1 Butter Knife of Victory! Ah-oh, wait, wait. It's just a crummy, normal +1 dagger of ghostbane..."

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by obscure.jester View Post
    Yep. Until they fix the fact that my character can change armor without taking off his shoes, I'm not going to lose any sleep over fragile tomes. I mean, I can't even do that with the jeans I'm wearing right now.

Community Member

Signed.
    That, or remove the durability all together.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12