Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Server Merge

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Zerkul View Post
    Cannith could use a server merge.
    If we have to merge with someone, I hope it's Cannith. I came to Sarlona to get away from Orien in the first place.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by zarthak View Post
    the reason there was a server merge in the 1rst place is becasue the servers werent populated enough, there was 12-16? iirc, could be wrong tho.
    You are correct. it was 13 originally, merged in 2007:
    Mabar, Argonnessen, Fernia, Ghallanda, Aerenal, Sarlona, Adar, Aundair, Kyhber, Xoriat, Thelanis, Tharashk and Riedra

From the DDO wiki:

Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

As a Cannithite (?) I'd be happy for our server to merge with Sarlona. It's not quite dire here but our LFM scene could use some GH and hage. It would be interesting from just a social perspective. I'd have to rename some alts but it would be worthwhile.

Surely a timely hardware upgrade could provide the extra hamsters to support the increased load.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    If we have to merge with someone, I hope it's Cannith. I came to Sarlona to get away from Orien in the first place.
    They might as well merge Cannith, Sarlona and Wayfinder into one. Those are the 3 smallest servers according to the latest unofficial activity statistics that I have seen. The result would be a server that is about the same size as Khyber. Its better to have 6 viable servers than only 5.

Of course, Turbine probably isn't quite ready to throw in the towel and admit a merger is necessary. Someone, somewhere, likely still believes that the expansion will pull in the massive number of players that would be required to avoid a merger.

Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    As a Cannithite (?)... snip
    I think I'd use Cannitheer.
    [/post]

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    They might as well merge Cannith, Sarlona and Wayfinder into one. Those are the 3 smallest servers according to the latest unofficial activity statistics that I have seen. The result would be a server that is about the same size as Khyber. Its better to have 6 viable servers than only 5.

Of course, Turbine probably isn't quite ready to throw in the towel and admit a merger is necessary. Someone, somewhere, likely still believes that the expansion will pull in the massive number of players that would be required to avoid a merger.
    Activity is misleading -- PUGing is dead, but the game itself is still quite alive.

-U14 items made the majority of what you get from almost every raid obsolete, so there are far fewer people running raids. Those who do, do it in channels or guild groups because that way they can employ a quid-pro-quo "need before greed" loot sharing, where you're looking for X and your buddies are looking for Y and Z, and you'll give them what they want if you pull it and in return they give you what you want. With raid loot being largely obsolete, most people who run raids only want one or two specific items for their class, so unless you can count on your friends to help you out the prospect of farming for that ONE GODDAMN ITEM YOU CANNOT EVER SEEM TO PULL seems futile. In PUGS, the really desirable loot rarely gets shared or rolled off. I'd half expect someone in a PUG who pulls a Torc on a melee to keep it for a future TR rather than roll it off.

-Stones of EXP created an entire generation of clueless players. This, combined with everyone's desire to run Elite content for Bravery even though they are not even close to being built for it, made pugging a nightmare for anyone who wasn't already powerful enough to solo the quest (and chooses to PUG for the company). As a result, most people again choose to use channels/guild runs instead of pugs if they can help it. I mean seriously, it seems like half the people I encounter don't understand DR and how it works. Every shroud, there's at least one person who asks for Silver weapons at the beginning. Chances are, they don't know WHY they need silver and ask for it because someone told them they need it at some point.

-The IDIOTIC change to the default level range structure means that people unknowingly create LFMs with level ranges that prevent Bravery. I still don't know why Turbine made this change, but it seems like a lot of people don't realize they need to adjust the level range manually if they want to run BB. This ultimately results in quite a few "dead" LFMs because informed players realize the level range is messed up and don't click those groups.

-Finally, many players simply want someone else to do the work for them. They refuse to start their own groups, either because they are afraid or they don't know the quest very well, or whatever reason. If you are sick of waiting on your ship for an hour to find a group, nothing is stopping you from making your OWN. Worst case, you wipe an hour later. So what? The result would be the same as if you just waited there for an hour to join someone else's LFM.
    Last edited by djl; 09-27-2012 at 11:32 AM.

I would certainly not mind a wayfinder merger with sarlona as there is basically no downside for either camp.

Sure wayfinder toons would lose all their names...but at least they would have someone/anyone to group with making it worthwhile for them.

Sarlona peps with toons existing longer then wayfinder (many) would have no downside really.

The added population from wayfinder would be fairly neglible also.

A merger with Cannith would need a slight bit more thought, but I must say I am pretty positive on that one also.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

How would they prioritize who gets what names? I for one have a couple of names that I would be very unhappy to lose.

Also, since Cannith is a newer world than Sarlona...is it possible that the Cannith Hardware is newer? It might be a Sarlona merge into Cannith rather that the opposite.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

Quote Originally Posted by Cyr View Post
    I would certainly not mind a wayfinder merger with sarlona as there is basically no downside for either camp.

Sure wayfinder toons would lose all their names...but at least they would have someone/anyone to group with making it worthwhile for them.

Sarlona peps with toons existing longer then wayfinder (many) would have no downside really.

The added population from wayfinder would be fairly neglible also.

A merger with Cannith would need a slight bit more thought, but I must say I am pretty positive on that one also.
    Downside? Poor Wayfinders sitting on the dock in the harbor begging for alms, snooty Sarlonians making rude comments to their mates as they walk by, noses in the air.

I'm all for a merger, though I thought Sarlona gets the biggest influx of new players (being we're the first server on the list... or did that change?)
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    -Finally, many players simply want someone else to do the work for them. They refuse to start their own groups, either because they are afraid or they don't know the quest very well, or whatever reason. If you are sick of waiting on your ship for an hour to find a group, nothing is stopping you from making your OWN. Worst case, you wipe an hour later. So what? The result would be the same as if you just waited there for an hour to join someone else's LFM.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. I put up a Shroud LFM last nigh (Hard Diff). No other Shroud LFM's up. I spent about 30 mins looking at AH and sorting through inventory before I finally gave up.

30 mins Shroud LFM and not one single hit. Unheard of!!!
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    How would they prioritize who gets what names? I for one have a couple of names that I would be very unhappy to lose.

Also, since Cannith is a newer world than Sarlona...is it possible that the Cannith Hardware is newer? It might be a Sarlona merge into Cannith rather that the opposite.
    If Hardware is going to dictate who has to rename their Toons, then I call BS.

Nice try though.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this. I put up a Shroud LFM last nigh (Hard Diff). No other Shroud LFM's up. I spent about 30 mins looking at AH and sorting through inventory before I finally gave up.

30 mins Shroud LFM and not one single hit. Unheard of!!!

Great piece of data if only the The age of the everlasting Shroud Train (i.e. LFM fills in less than 3 minutes) had not passed. Only about a year and a half ago.

" Forum Opinions count for less than 5% of the player base "

I cannot remember who has this on his sig but it keeps coming to mind when reading the "doooom" and the "what will we do" threads.

As far as who keeps what name? It better be based on first come first serve basis. (I.E. Toon Date of Creation)

"Multi-Classing: If you don't know what you are doing...please don't do it."
    Arkkanoz / Barbarrus / BoarAxe / Bruttus / Dahlamaar / Dexxaan / Dominattrix / Gregorius / Inquisittor / Mechanikkus / Predattor / Suntzzu / Valkeerya

Quote Originally Posted by Dexxaan View Post
    If Hardware is going to dictate who has to rename their Toons, then I call BS.

Nice try though.

Great piece of data if only the The age of the everlasting Shroud Train (i.e. LFM fills in less than 3 minutes) had not passed. Only about a year and a half ago.

I cannot remember who has this on his sig but it keeps coming to mind when reading the "doooom" and the "what will we do" threads.

As far as who keeps what name? It better be based on first come first serve basis. (I.E. Toon Date of Creation)

I wasn't trying to say newest hardware should keep the name... was really asking 2 seperate questions.

I agree...whoever had the name first should get to keep it.

My other comment referred to the fact that everyone assumes Cannith would be absorbed by Sarlona. Since the cannith hardware might be newer, Logic would say that Sarlona would get absorbed by Cannith.
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

Quote Originally Posted by Dexxaan View Post
    I

Yeah, that is a dumb quote.

Seriously, Dex have you never heard of the concept of polling?

Oh and that quote was withdrawn because it was made up numbers...
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Community Member

please, do not merge cannith into sarlona.

thank you.
    boo-tai jung-tzahng-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We love fansites!
    <*cough*B.S.*cough*>
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    There will be bugs!

Default no

/not signed

we dont need a merge

Default i think you might be a story teller

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    according to the latest unofficial activity statistics that I have seen. .
    what stats have you seen? i call bs. link it

Community Member

Lemme think about it............Thought about it.

No.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Cyr View Post
    Yeah, that is a dumb quote.

Seriously, Dex have you never heard of the concept of polling?

Oh and that quote was withdrawn because it was made up numbers...

I would never want to argue with myself when it comes to Finance, Math, Statistics (Polling included).

Same warning goes for you my friend.

And the quoted quote was targeted-sarcasm just in case you missed it.
    Arkkanoz / Barbarrus / BoarAxe / Bruttus / Dahlamaar / Dexxaan / Dominattrix / Gregorius / Inquisittor / Mechanikkus / Predattor / Suntzzu / Valkeerya

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Gleep_Wurp View Post
    what stats have you seen? i call bs. link it
    TY Gleep.

I actually forgot to ask for this all clarifying & privileged Data.

I don't care either way, it won't affect me, I use Guild and then channels to fill a group, and put up an LFM if I still have a spot and bringing a pug won't slow us down ( ie take 10 mins to get to a 5 min quest)

I have been watching the LFM panel for the past week or so and counting--for Pacific times 4 PM to 10 PM or so there are usually 25-31 LFMS. Now keep in mind that I am a VIP and can see every LFM posted, as I also have my settings set up for "show groups I am not eligable for"

However, I do also play in Chinese hours, and this is time is a wasteland recently. Mre games, plus the fact that DDO does not exactly make it easy for the Chinese to play, are both factors.

If you merge servers, perhaps there will be more LFMs, or perhaps people will merge their User channels as well, and you would still see just 25-31 LFMs.

Now that everything can be solo'd by every class on epic normal, and most classes on epic hard, there simply isn't a need to LFM it as much if you don't have enough guildies.

Also, raids, even the new raid, are pretty obsolete. ( yes I see the same 5 people running the new raid ten tmes a night, but they are usually the same class after the same item)) I used to raid all the time so that if there were mroe than 6 guildies on we could all group together, and then put and LFM up for any extra spots-- I've put up maybe 2 raid LFMs in the past 2 months. When I raid now, it's to add to destiny xp without farming, so no shroud.
    Last edited by moops; 09-29-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Hexxa CLR 25 *TR* * ~Hexanna ~*TR* FVS 25 * Hexecuter CLR 20 *Flexanna RGR/R/M 18/1/1 *TR* * Flexa FTR/R 18/2 TR * Hextravaganz Bard *TR* 18/2 * Hexotic Sorc 13 * Hexquisite Wiz 23 * ~~Quantum Entropy * SARLONA~~ - * and various other scoundrels

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast