Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67

Thread: Server Merge

  1. #41
    Community Member ~Jenghiz_the_Feared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Just looking out for the new folks out there. Not many people have the luxury of being in a top tier guild or knowing the special channels. However I have not forsaken Sarlona and will continue to support my vice of choice.

    I hope the population grows on Sarlona and welcomes new folks. Its fool hardy to have server pride. And would embrace a change for the better

    Hopefully folks can expierence how wonderful this server used to be when it first came out.
    Without Evil there cannot be any Good

  2. #42
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Nope. It's the school year. People are going to be busy with school during the week days and homework on weekends. Give it a few months, it'll pick up around winter break.

  3. #43
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,944

    Default

    Merge more people onto this server? They need to be able to keep it online with this many people first.

    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  4. #44
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Merge more people onto this server? They need to be able to keep it online with this many people first.

    It always makes me a tad queasy when this happens, but I am going to agree with Chai. Aside from the game population issues which indicate server mergers would be beneficial, Turbine should make the required software and hardware investments to keep the servers from crashing before actually doing the mergers.

    Turbine, what is causing you to cut so many corners that your servers are crashing? Thrudh and Chai keep telling us that you guys are rocking the MMO universe, so we all know you are loaded with the necessary cash.

    Hopefully, this post will make it to the forum server before it crashes as well....

  5. #45
    Community Member Hendrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bell's Brewery, MI.
    Posts
    10,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    It always makes me a tad queasy when this happens, but I am going to agree with Chai. Aside from the game population issues which indicate server mergers would be beneficial, Turbine should make the required software and hardware investments to keep the servers from crashing before actually doing the mergers.

    Turbine, what is causing you to cut so many corners that your servers are crashing? Thrudh and Chai keep telling us that you guys are rocking the MMO universe, so we all know you are loaded with the necessary cash.

    Hopefully, this post will make it to the forum server before it crashes as well....
    We have had what, TWO server crashes on the last few days and had them back up in no time. Besides these last two, when was the last?

    Your post sounds like this is a normal occurrence and it is NOT, this is the exception and not the norm.

    Your attempt at Doom has fallen short.


    Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

    It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

  6. #46
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    We have had what, TWO server crashes on the last few days and had them back up in no time. Besides these last two, when was the last?

    Your post sounds like this is a normal occurrence and it is NOT, this is the exception and not the norm.

    Your attempt at Doom has fallen short.

    Yawn, just another petty attack using the trite techniques of categorizing things as "doom", "rage quit", and any other pejorative term that serves to mask the issues rather than deal with them.

  7. #47
    Community Member NovaNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Aotearoa, New Zealand
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermune View Post
    I think I'd use Cannitheer.
    Cannithlonian?
    Last edited by NovaNZ; 10-06-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnofEntropy View Post
    Who wouldn't want to see Flizik the dwarf jamming to 'Devil went down to georgia' and smoking a pipe ...

  8. #48
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    Yawn, just another petty attack using the trite techniques of categorizing things as "doom", "rage quit", and any other pejorative term that serves to mask the issues rather than deal with them.
    I count 108 posts now about Turbines game being doomed, one source, 6 months of time. How are the game doing so bad if the servers are crashing due to not being able to handle the load? Many people were being kicked off due to high traffic. Doesnt look like a dead game to me. Theres no attack whatsoever, just direct observation. Server merge? Maybe they need to get some more servers if high traffic is bringing them down.
    Last edited by Chai; 10-06-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  9. #49
    Community Member GrampaBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Guarding My Lawn
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I count 108 posts now about Turbines game being doomed, one source, 6 months of time. How are the game doing so bad if the servers are crashing due to not being able to handle the load? Many people were being kicked off due to high traffic. Doesnt look like a dead game to me. Theres no attack whatsoever, just direct observation. Server merge? Maybe they need to get some more servers if high traffic is bringing them down.
    Can you point me to where it was said that they crashed due to not being able to handle the player load?
    Dec 21, 2011: Regarding signature errors like the one to the left:
    Quote Originally Posted by droipamine View Post
    I imagine we'll be looking at this very soon.

  10. #50
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrampaBill View Post
    Can you point me to where it was said that they crashed due to not being able to handle the player load?
    People couldnt log in due to a "server full" message, and then finally get on only to see the server crash 45 minutes later.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  11. #51
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I count 108 posts now about Turbines game being doomed, one source, 6 months of time.
    LMAO.

    I'm impressed that you just went back and read roughly my last 420 posts, although a bit disappointed that you apparently skipped roughly 80 posts which were also there for your education and enlightenment. Since you apparently studied them in detail, in how many did I actually use the word "doom"? I can think of but one, but then you have read them more recently than I.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    How are the game doing so bad if the servers are crashing due to not being able to handle the load? Many people were being kicked off due to high traffic. Doesnt look like a dead game to me.
    If you really believe that the servers were crashing because a record number of actual players were logged in, I'm beyond amused. What would account for the fact that the servers are not crashing again because of a record number of players logging on again? Did they all run off to play GW2?

    In reality, what likely happened, if it was related to the number of players at all, was that some sloppy code got injected into the servers which wasn't freeing upon resources assigned to a player, even when the player logged off. The server restart cleared these hanging references, and allowed Turbine some time to try to figure out what part of its spaghetti code (MadFloyd's assessment) is broken now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Theres no attack whatsoever, just direct observation.
    Who do you think you are kidding? Its just one of the standard slams used by people on these forums when they are confronted with something that makes them uncomfortable, but they can't be bothered to make a positive contribution to discuss it. Frankly, its embarrassing to see Turbine continue to allow that kind of behavior.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Server merge? Maybe they need to get some more servers if high traffic is bringing them down.
    You should start a new thread asking for additional servers in addition to the 8 that we have, and watch the "hilarity ensue."

  12. #52
    Community Member GrampaBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Guarding My Lawn
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    People couldnt log in due to a "server full" message, and then finally get on only to see the server crash 45 minutes later.
    If you truly believe Sarlona hit record breaking login numbers you have moved to a whole new level of self-delusion. The real reason is that the software bugged out. Proven by at least 10 listings in the LFM panel that had no toons populated in the listing. The software was crashing and like a black hole it was sucking up different parts of itself until it imploded and crashed.

    And like "Anthony" from tech support in Mumbai will tell you, a reboot fixed everything.
    Dec 21, 2011: Regarding signature errors like the one to the left:
    Quote Originally Posted by droipamine View Post
    I imagine we'll be looking at this very soon.

  13. #53
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrampaBill View Post
    If you truly believe Sarlona hit record breaking login numbers you have moved to a whole new level of self-delusion.

    And like "Anthony" from tech support in Mumbai will tell you, a reboot fixed everything.
    Self delusion? The error message literally said: Server full. Attempts to explain that one away are hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrampaBill View Post
    The real reason is that the software bugged out. Proven by at least 10 listings in the LFM panel that had no toons populated in the listing. The software was crashing and like a black hole it was sucking up different parts of itself until it imploded and crashed.
    If you tried to explain this to a client in the technical support world, it would be your user base that imploded, and not the servers. We pay attention to those error messages, especially when they have "show error details" buttons on them, and the details point to the exact reason why people could not log in.

    Deny this all you want, simply because it doesnt support the current popular theory that the game is dying. Im sure we will be discussing this same topic years from now, after the game hasnt died. Kind of like the same people who have been telling us this game was dying for the last 6 years are still making the same incorrect claim.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  14. #54
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post

    Who do you think you are kidding? Its just one of the standard slams used by people on these forums when they are confronted with something that makes them uncomfortable, but they can't be bothered to make a positive contribution to discuss it. Frankly, its embarrassing to see Turbine continue to allow that kind of behavior.
    Its hilarious that they allow any type of negative talk about their company on these boards at all. Most MMOs do not allow that kind of stuff, and when they see extreme repetition of it, they mod it right off their boards. Allowing it just opens the door for people who dont even play the game anymore to troll people who still like to play and continue to make claims of doom and gloom, while not being able to back that up with any evidence whatsoever. The fact that they still do this years later shows how wrong they are on that issue.

    The fact that you disagree with me being correct doesnt make my posts lack contribution I assure you. How long will you continue to make these "game is dying" claims before you admit youre wrong? Its been at least a year now. The longer it continues to occur, the more hilarious it becomes. There are people on these boards who told us this game wouldnt last 6 months after release. Some of those same people are on your little bandwagon telling us the game is STILL dying, and are STILL here trying to convince others that this is the case. The longer you do this, the more the "game is dying" claims leak like a siv. Continuing to demand evidence from others but bringing none to the table yourself doesnt patch those holes up either.

    If you want to quit its cool. Its not good enough though, because you realize its not a situation where you get to take the ball with you though, and everyone else isnt going to stop playing on the court simply because you want to leave. If this isnt the situation and you try to deny this, then its even more hilarious if youre continually trying to convince people how crappy this game is but are still here playing it yourself, which is about as direct of a contradiction as one could make in this situation.

    As far as confronting something that makes people uncomfortable, the number one defense mechanism people usually resort to is repeated denial over long periods of time. Something like...oh,....maybe 108 times in 6 months sounds about right for what I would call pattern based. Go ahead and try to reverse that one on me and demand evidence. Ill just tap the fact that we are still here talking about the game supposedly still dying, years after it was supposed to go bye bye according to many people on the doom bandwagon - something you continually gloss over because you have no answer for.
    Last edited by Chai; 10-09-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  15. #55
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,282

    Default

    Overall, its been another great day, and now I see its about to get even better...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Its hilarious that they allow any type of negative talk about their company on these boards at all. Most MMOs do not allow that kind of stuff, and when they see extreme repetition of it, they mod it right off their boards. Allowing it just opens the door for people who dont even play the game anymore to troll people who still like to play and continue to make claims of doom and gloom, while not being able to back that up with any evidence whatsoever. The fact that they still do this years later shows how wrong they are on that issue.
    People who have stopped playing because of quality issues simply represent potential revenue that DDO has lost, and is interested in recapturing. In a world with almost unlimited communication venues, trying to silence dissenting opinion is self defeating.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The fact that you disagree with me being correct doesnt make my posts lack contribution I assure you.
    Agreed. It is in no way MY fault.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    How long will you continue to make these "game is dying" claims before you admit youre wrong?.
    I will continue to accurately report the current game trends, whether they be positive or negative. If Turbine can be awakened from its complacency in time to save the game, I will take great pleasure in being part of that process.

    It is sad to see the fanbois continue to undermine the future of the game while proclaiming their love for it. Given the increasing player feedback on the forums indicating that all is not well, the life of a fanboi must be getting lonely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Its been at least a year now.
    Actually, it hasn't. I wasn't even posting on these forums a year ago. However, the fact that you no longer claim it has been 6 years is an improvement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The longer it continues to occur, the more hilarious it becomes.
    I see a fairly large number of people on the forums who in no way find the current state of the game to be "hilarious".

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    If you want to quit its cool.
    Thanks for your permission, but as you may have noticed I decided to go on indefinite break without getting your OK.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Its not good enough though, because you realize its not a situation where you get to take the ball with you though, and everyone else isnt going to stop playing on the court simply because you want to leave. If this isnt the situation and you try to deny this, then its even more hilarious if youre continually trying to convince people how crappy this game is but are still here playing it yourself, which is about as direct of a contradiction as one could make in this situation.
    I know this is a fantasy game, but I think it would useful if you didn't start listing all your fantasies about what I am doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    As far as confronting something that makes people uncomfortable, the number one defense mechanism people usually resort to is repeated denial over long periods of time.
    That's interesting. I wasn't expecting you to start discussing your constant denials of serious issues with the game...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Ill just tap the fact that we are still here talking about the game supposedly still dying, years after it was supposed to go bye bye according to many people on the doom bandwagon - something you continually gloss over because you have no answer for.
    If you say so. I wasn't here then, nor were most other people. I really don't find it that interesting, as it has no relevance to the issues that make people decide to stay or leave the game in 2012. If that is your best answer for why the game will continue to endure into the future, your case is pretty desperate.

    BTW, are you going to create that thread demanding a 9th game server?

  16. #56
    Community Member Jhenissa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    57

    Question Where have all the Guo ren gone?

    I miss the late night/early morning (PST) Guo ren runs. Get in a guo ren group and you could pretty much count on fun zerg runs. I may not have known what was going on but i loved the massive xp.

  17. #57
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post

    I will continue to accurately report the current game trends, whether they be positive or negative. If Turbine can be awakened from its complacency in time to save the game, I will take great pleasure in being part of that process.

    It is sad to see the fanbois continue to undermine the future of the game while proclaiming their love for it. Given the increasing player feedback on the forums indicating that all is not well, the life of a fanboi must be getting lonely.
    Evidence please. For someone who demands each person they disagree with check their facts, you sure dont provide any yourself. What you provide is your opinion that because you think the game is in a sad state, that the majority must also think this, and the game is somehow dying out because of it. Weve seen these claims on the forums for years now, and they have yet to come true.

    These "current trends" you keep reporting have all turned out false. "Indefinate break" for months now, and you somehow know more about the state of the game than those of us who play it? You talk about accurately reporting game trends. You dont even play the game. Its like someone who once drove a 1995 Ford Escort, has never driven a vehicle made in the last decade, who continually talks about how much the current Ford trucks suck.

    The whole "game is dying" argument isnt even simply leaking like a siv anymore folks, it has...become......A......DELUGE!!!

    As far as your claim of the "fanbois" undermining the game, this couldnt be more false. Those of us who enjoy the game, continue to play the game, continue to support the game financially, arent undermining the future of this game whatsoever. We are the customers who help provide that future. Quitting the game, then showing up week after week to troll valuable customers on the boards continually labeling them fanbois and noncontributors, is not doing anything positive for this games future. Thus, I pull your card on your little belief system about your reports on the state of the game, which you dont even play, and therefore know absolutely nothing about. My prediction: You'll be here two years from now telling us the game is still dying and calling us who disagree with your false assessment fanbois. Ill be here reminding you we had this conversation two years ago, and since then the game hasnt died, and the fact that we are still here talking about it makes you incorrect yet again. Oh wait, that already happened, in fact, its happening right now. You see, two years from now, youll have been predicting DDOs demise for 4 years.
    Last edited by Chai; 10-10-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  18. #58
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Last time it only helped make more groups. I dont see why not.

  19. #59
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stonakai View Post
    Last time it only helped make more groups. I dont see why not.
    Because it will help make more lag.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  20. #60
    Community Member Cyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    We have had what, TWO server crashes on the last few days and had them back up in no time. Besides these last two, when was the last?

    Your post sounds like this is a normal occurrence and it is NOT, this is the exception and not the norm.
    /shrug

    I seem to recall them pulling the servers after various ones crashed after updates, patches, and hotfixes a at least a few times in the past year.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload