Community Member

Default Epic Drow Minions

This is pretty much a nerdy observational post that doesn't have an impact on the game at all. Being a longtime fan of D&D and its various forms, and DDO, I'm curious as to why there are so many male drow throughout the FR content. In the majority of settings I am familiar with, drow have always been a female-dominated society. Drow women are usually the ones put in charge of things, and males are mostly cattle and grunts.

One can quickly jump to the conclusion that the drow we commonly face in the King's Forest and the missions are all just that, the grunts working the front lines. But they're all epic "CR" and such. Most male drow don't get that high of a level; there are always exceptions of course, where some males claw their way up in levels and having various levels of standing in a house. To my understanding, however, this tends to be fairly rare.

If all these male drow are the common grunts expected to be faced in FR, that kind of tells me Eberron is a bunch of sissies. The best of our best, Lv 16+ characters, have fought hard, shed blood, and been revived countless times, fighting some of the worst and most powerful things Eberron has to offer. These characters head off to Faerun, and we're roughly on par with grunts? Or worse, the creme de la creme of Eberron, our Lv 20's, are the ones comparable with the grunts, lower levels can't even face them.

As I have mentioned, this is simply an observation. If there is another thread already dedicated to this topic, I do apologize for repeating it; I did not find anything similar in my search for such.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Worldcrafter View Post
    These characters head off to Faerun, and we're roughly on par with grunts? Or worse, the creme de la creme of Eberron, our Lv 20's, are the ones comparable with the grunts, lower levels can't even face them.
    By this line of reasoning, what have those CR 30+ Rats been doing!?!

At some point you just have to nod, smile, and repeat "It is only a game". Many design decisions are going to be based off of what is going to work, rather than what makes sense according to D&D.

Community Member

Well and im not real sure what you have been reading but by all means Drow males are on par or better than alot of surface fighters. Given most of them are also very stealthy. Wizards also are very powerful as Drow Males. Agreed that those who follow the "Spiderqueen" are female dominated and do sacrifice sons to her so population wise Royal Drow have less males in the house. While lesser houses still provide grunts and lots of nobodys.

Community Member

Eating Epic Cheese, of course. Or they are the results of experiments conducted by drunken wizards.

And I do realize this; I've bit my tongue a number of times on things that made me go, "bwuh?" Well, not literally; biting my tongue hurts.

I would question how hard it would be to just implement more female sprites instead of male sprites for the drow, but then again, given the new female voices, maybe it is for the best after all...

Community Member

From what I understand, under the new storyline (Rise of the Drow or whatever) from WoTC the Underdark has been acting as a cruicible for the Drow (like Arakis did for the Fremen in Dune), making them stronger. This goes hand-in-hand with their Chaotic-Evil society where only the strongest, most ruthless survive. The idea being just to make it to adulthood you have to be one bad 'mo-fo'.

So yes, the idea that the Drow 'foot soldiers' are Epic level should caution one about the nature of what is driving them.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Worldcrafter View Post
    and we're roughly on par with grunts?
    Um . . . WHAT? On par? When we can curb-stomp 10-20 of them at once in EH?
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.