Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: Premium Perks

  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    184

    Default Premium Perks

    I know this may be a bit hypercritical, seeing how I complained on a VIP perks thread about there being too many of those threads. But I never see premiums begging for perks and have yet to see a thread of such nature. So I feel it is time to make one.

    Here are a few of my ideas, and feel free to add or complain as you see fit.

    Now in order to keep it fair, the premium MUST buy every new pack/class/slot/etc. as it comes out to keep the following perks:

    If a premium has purchased all packs, then elite unlock for all toons is available regardless of which life it is on.

    If a premium has purchased all bank slots, which included shared bank and shared plat and all upgrades of both, then they gain an extra 20 slots and an extra million added to their shared banks.

    If a premium has purchased all races and classes, a new and exclusive armor kit, not for me but I know people love them, is unlocked for each toon on their account.

    Last but not least, If a premium has purchased ALL account options available, he is awarded a permanent -10% off in the DDO store for future purchases.

    I kind of did not know what to say for the last one. Can not really think of any perks worth that because I do not really need much to make me happy.

    Feel free to add, complain, and argue. But I feel premiums deserve something for once.

  2. #2
    Community Member Dawnsfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muny21 View Post
    I know this may be a bit hypercritical, seeing how I complained on a VIP perks thread about there being too many of those threads. But I never see premiums begging for perks and have yet to see a thread of such nature. So I feel it is time to make one.

    Here are a few of my ideas, and feel free to add or complain as you see fit.

    Now in order to keep it fair, the premium MUST buy every new pack/class/slot/etc. as it comes out to keep the following perks:

    If a premium has purchased all packs, then elite unlock for all toons is available regardless of which life it is on.

    If a premium has purchased all bank slots, which included shared bank and shared plat and all upgrades of both, then they gain an extra 20 slots and an extra million added to their shared banks.

    If a premium has purchased all races and classes, a new and exclusive armor kit, not for me but I know people love them, is unlocked for each toon on their account.

    Last but not least, If a premium has purchased ALL account options available, he is awarded a permanent -10% off in the DDO store for future purchases.

    I kind of did not know what to say for the last one. Can not really think of any perks worth that because I do not really need much to make me happy.

    Feel free to add, complain, and argue. But I feel premiums deserve something for once.
    Premium players do get something, we get to spend money when and how we wish. I personally believe it is not only the only 'perk' we deserve, it is the best current 'perk'.

    Turbine gives a bunch of trivial 'perks' to VIPs because they stabilize Turbines' bottom line. They can count on that money each and every month. In exchange for that stability, Turbine gives them a bunch of stuff. To be honest, the only one I envy is the difficulty unlocks. We Premiums pay what we want and how ever much we want. Turbine loves the money I am sure but isn't something you can budget for sure on.

    In short, 'perks' currently in the game are fair. Others may disagree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnsfire View Post
    To be honest, the only one I envy is the difficulty unlocks.
    Same. I do no really need perks except for that one. But was just curious how other premiums felt on the situation. All we ever hear is how VIPs deserve more and more and more. Never hear what premiums would like to have.

  4. #4
    Community Member Dysmetria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muny21 View Post
    Same. I do no really need perks except for that one. But was just curious how other premiums felt on the situation. All we ever hear is how VIPs deserve more and more and more. Never hear what premiums would like to have.
    I think premiums get what they want already, because they get to pick and choose what they purchase.

    The only real difference between the two plans is that some VIPs want more for free, while some premiums want more to purchase.

  5. #5
    Hero Marcus-Hawkeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,055

    Default

    Gonna say no. Think it's fine just the way it is for the premium folks.

  6. #6
    Community Member donfilibuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,452

    Default

    Premium should have been an alternative to VIP, not a tier below.
    But this had to be done from the start, now they must secure their subscriber base.
    As it is now, they must throw in the perks to keep the VIP people subbed.
    (the switch involves like two years of VIP in packs, us premium are not going away)

    There's other ways to assure month-by-month expenses, both VIP or premium.
    Bundles seem to be a good one, there could be a new one with each pack update.

    I'd wish regular premium doing monthly purchases could get things like open elite.
    It'd be fine if these perks expire the next month unless you purchase again (perhaps via passes).

  7. #7
    The Hatchery CaptainSpacePony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North American East Coast Interwebs
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    Don't forget, we got the Monster Manual 1!

    I am satisfied with my premium stuff. I own all content, classes (didn't buy Drow, but...), races, 32 pt build, Monster Manuals, largest shared bank, 7 extra character slots, and one (so far) armor kit. I've also bought +1 Full Plate (Noob!), a +3 lesser heart, and a toon name change. I also purchased most of that and a guild charter for three of my family members.

    Sure I'd like more stuff, but overall, I am more than satisfied with what I get (even though the challenge pack was overpriced IMO).

  8. #8
    Uber Completionist
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,122

    Default

    I have pretty much bought everything, packs, races, armourkits, storage, hearts etc( not consumables though).


    I fail to see what perks I get tbh.


    What I would like is at least account wide Hard unlock - or make it purchasble at least

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muny21 View Post
    All we ever hear is how VIPs deserve more and more and more.
    It's not that VIPs claim we deserve 'more and more and more'...we want something to replace those perks that Turbine has been removing, such as access to all adventure packs. Now it's "standard" instead of ALL. Next thing you know, Turbine is going to change that to 'Classic', and nothing new will be available to VIP as part of the sub.
    Instead of being able to run new content a few days ahead of everyone else, now new content is available day of release or even pre-release to everyone.

    What have we gotten in exchange for the perks Turbine is taking away a little at a time? +10% run speed in town...as if the phiarlan pendant wasn't more than enough already and easily obtained.
    Last edited by dterror; 09-13-2012 at 09:11 AM.

  10. #10
    Community Member Silverwren's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,342

    Default

    I'm a premium player and I have a question regarding the OPs suggestion:

    Based on what you suggested for perks for premium players, do VIPs currently get MORE perks than all that? Because the assumption is the premium players don't get quite as much as the VIPs do.

    For example, do VIPs currently get more than a million plat when they sign up? Do they currently get two (or more) new and exclusive armor kits when they sign up? Do they currently get more than 10% off DDO store items?

    Because if not then what you're asking for is to put premium players ahead of VIPs when it comes to perks. I ask because I'm a premium player and don't really know what VIPs get for becoming VIP.
    I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just gonna ask 'em where they're going and hook up with 'em later on - Mitch Hedberg
    Silverweb - Silverwren - Silverware - Daydream - Dubbelklik

  11. #11
    Community Member Rauven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnsfire View Post
    Premium players do get something, we get to spend money when and how we wish. I personally believe it is not only the only 'perk' we deserve, it is the best current 'perk'.
    ^^ This, it's why I chose Premium over VIP. It became clear to me early on that it was what Turbine's model promoted.


    Quote Originally Posted by dterror View Post
    It's not that VIPs claim we deserve 'more and more and more'...we want something to replace those perks that Turbine has been removing, such as access to all adventure packs. Now it's "standard" instead of ALL. Next thing you know, Turbine is going to change that to 'Classic', and nothing new will be available to VIP as part of the sub.
    Instead of being able to run new content a few days ahead of everyone else, now new content is available day of release or even pre-release to everyone.

    What have we gotten in exchange for the perks Turbine is taking away a little at a time? +10% run speed in town...as if the phiarlan pendant wasn't more than enough already and easily obtained.
    No matter how many times you say you have lost perks it doesn't make it so. The only argument you have is that Turbine didn't give you the expansion. Regarding early access, VIP's didn't receive early access for U13 because it was a f2p adventure pack. VIP's didn't receive early access for U14 because it was an expansion that everyone had to purchase if they wanted access. VIP's didn't receive early access for U15, the first time ever and most of the comments on these forums were VIP's saying it wasn't an issue because in the past that early access made grouping more difficult than necessary.

    Aside from not being given the expansion pack, although VIP's did get the new class and challenge pack, what has been taken away?

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
    ^^ This, it's why I chose Premium over VIP. It became clear to me early on that it was what Turbine's model promoted.




    No matter how many times you say you have lost perks it doesn't make it so. The only argument you have is that Turbine didn't give you the expansion. Regarding early access, VIP's didn't receive early access for U13 because it was a f2p adventure pack. VIP's didn't receive early access for U14 because it was an expansion that everyone had to purchase if they wanted access. VIP's didn't receive early access for U15, the first time ever and most of the comments on these forums were VIP's saying it wasn't an issue because in the past that early access made grouping more difficult than necessary.

    Aside from not being given the expansion pack, although VIP's did get the new class and challenge pack, what has been taken away?
    No distinction was made between whether it was f2p or p2p for VIP to get the 'early access', thus it's something that was advertised as a perk for being VIP, and has been taken away. No, losing early access isn't the issue as much as something should be put back to replace it. The 10% movement speed in town would be about the equivalent of this perk.

    Losing access to ALL adventure packs though is a major perk loss, and thus something major should replace it.

  13. #13
    Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council
    TrinityTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Findlay, OH
    Posts
    3,264

    Default

    I disagree. The current turbine model is all about choice. I was premium for the first two years I played, and bought all the packs and the bank. And saw no need to fork over $15 a month for anything more. And appreciated the premium perks of extra character slots, and the lifting of the coin and auction house minimums that free to play people have.

    I went VIP when they gave vips the perk of open any difficulty on any quest, because I felt that value was worth the monthly commitment of my moment, not the choice of only spending what I wanted to buy exactly what I wanted and when.

    VIP should have perks to reward that stable financial commitment, and for the record this was my stance from day one of those 2 premium years. Companies rely on that, and there is NOTHING wrong with encouraging players to go that route by offering them value for their money. Premiums are getting their value for their money by choosing to buy only what is valuable to them. But premiums always have the same choice I did when I sat down and said "What is this ddo nonsense...hm..three payment plans, which is for me?" Those perks are rewards for the financial commitments vips make. Premium players may do burst financial rewards, some often and some rarely, but that is not 'reliable budgetary income' they can plan future endeavors around. As someone who works in accounts payable/accounts receivable, steady income is the lifeblood of a company. While burst income is also sought after and appreciated, it's never reliable enough to pay the bills. The steady income matters, to Turbine and every other company out there.

    If you don't want to pay the $15 (or $10 depending on what deal you take) a month, that IS fully your choice. And you can put up lfm's asking for elite openers or run a quest a few times. You can buy the extra characters slots we get beyond premium or grind them out. But you should not get the perks that the steady income people get, or there won't be any steady income left for Turbine to count on.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

    Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

  14. #14
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    18,058

    Default

    Premium already has a hell of a leg up over VIPs.

    /no
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

    .55326.

  15. #15
    Community Member Dysmetria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dterror View Post
    No distinction was made between whether it was f2p or p2p for VIP to get the 'early access', thus it's something that was advertised as a perk for being VIP, and has been taken away. No, losing early access isn't the issue as much as something should be put back to replace it. The 10% movement speed in town would be about the equivalent of this perk.

    Losing access to ALL adventure packs though is a major perk loss, and thus something major should replace it.
    VIPs get early access "when available." That does not mean they will get it every time, and therefore nothing was taken away.

    Likewise they get access to all "standard" adventure packs. Quests and raids that were part of the expansion were not "standard," so nothing was taken away there either. Even subscription-only games charge their customers for expansions on top of the monthly fee.

  16. #16
    Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Hafeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    at a keyboard
    Posts
    6,301

    Arrow Well yes and no

    I do think Turbine needs to do SOMETHING to perk up sales and keep revenues going in the Store. I would not be surprised if at some point they offer a discount or reward system for using the Store. It is how traditional retailers push traffic and I expect someone smart at WB to shake up the devs to do something at some point.

    WB offered a Rewards program for a while (http://insiderrewards.warnerbros.com/) which is now over. I would guess if/when they reinstitute it at some point, DDO and LoTRO might be included as well. It would be smart to do so anyway.

    ----------

    Aside from that I suggested more than 3 years ago that Turbine give subscribers perks based on the longevity of their subscription (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=173418 ; I received plenty of derision for the suggestion.
    Last edited by Hafeal; 09-13-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- -10 - -11- -12!! years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker


  17. #17
    The Hatchery Drekisen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    My basic view on this whole thing is Turbine just needs to institute tiered spending rewards for premiums....there is no reason at all ViPs should be getting special perks if a premium is spending just as much if not more money a year than them.

    But same goes in reverse for ViP's.....they should get tiered spender rewards if they are spending RL cash outside of their monthly sub fee's.

    I am a former sub who never missed a month and went premium about 4 months after F2P.......I can safely say I have at the very least spent the equal of yearly subs for the 5+ years I have been playing.....so ViP's should not be getting sole rights to special benefits.

  18. #18
    Community Member Brennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,509

    Default

    Keep in mind that premium DOES have several "perks". These perks are noted for being bonuses that free players do not have:

    • Monster Manual 1 for free


    • Ability to trade/Auction/sell DDOstore items (I don't know if this includes more than just raid bypass timer or not)


    • Two extra character slots (Four per server instead of two)


    • Nearly unlimited Auction House usage (Free players can only auction 1 item at a time)


    • 4.3 gold cap at all levels (free players have a gold cap on a per-level basis, which is fairly low at lower levels)


    • Unlimited mail/chat (Free supposedly have less "options" here, btu i have no idea what they are)


    • "High" login priority (Frankly, i don't even know what this means. I've never seen a login queue in DDO)


    Compared to VIPs, premiums only have one real perk - Anything we purchase, we keep forever. Adventure packs, races, classes, account options, etc, once they're ours, they're ours until DDO shuts down the servers for good. To me, this meansI can take as long as a hiatus form DDO as i want, and come right back in at any time with everything i had still in place. No worrying about whether I have been away from teh game long enough to cancel my subscription, or whether i need to put money down just to see if I'm interested in playing again!

    Now that said, I am not opposed to the idea of "DDOstore completionist" bonuses, but purely from a standpoint that it would possibly be good for business, in a "buy ten, get one free' kind of way.. However, any bonuses that apply to premiums should also apply to VIPs, as the baseline for VIP should always be "get everything premiums get, with some parsley around the edges to make it look nice".

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dysmetria View Post
    VIPs get early access "when available." That does not mean they will get it every time, and therefore nothing was taken away.

    Likewise they get access to all "standard" adventure packs. Quests and raids that were part of the expansion were not "standard," so nothing was taken away there either. Even subscription-only games charge their customers for expansions on top of the monthly fee.
    You are totally missing the point. Both things WERE taken away, because the wording of both perks were CHANGED.

    Original: VIP get access to *ALL* adventure packs. NOT "standard", ALL. Do you not comprehend that word? ALL. The word standard never even got added to the VIP perk list page until people started complaining about U14. Thus, This is DEFINITELY something that was taken away.

    Original wording on the early access did NOT include 'when available'. That too was ALL new releases, and thus is something that was taken away.

  20. #20
    Community Member donfilibuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vVvAiaynAvVv View Post
    My basic view on this whole thing is Turbine just needs to institute tiered spending rewards for premiums....there is no reason at all ViPs should be getting special perks if a premium is spending just as much if not more money a year than them.

    But same goes in reverse for ViP's.....they should get tiered spender rewards if they are spending RL cash outside of their monthly sub fee's.
    This indeed. But i can see how keeping it simple would prevent confusion.

    I'd prefer bundles over passes, for example, else one would think there's more money milking than we already have.
    Both vips and premium can get new stuff in a bundle and it will amount to monthly fees, but letting everyone benefit.
    Passes would be stuff that only works that month and then expire, or one time.
    The stones of exp are an example, perks like elite access would be nice, then you have to spend again next month.

    Conversely, it wouldn't work if tiered: if one gets vip but find have to spend more on extra things, or if are premium and needs to pay monthly for extra things.
    People will perceive it as needing to spend more money, whereas if both vips and premium can get the next stuff in a bundle there's less room for confusion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload