Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Meat-Head View Post
    So uh... how do you count the number of people online again? Do you hand-count the "WHO" list?

Is there an easier way?
    I have not found one. This is my process:

1) Who list, blank search.
    2) Size the window to show 10 people.
    3) Click in the scroll bar to pagedown.
    4) Double-check to make sure exactly 10 names are displayed per page
    5) Continually click the scroll bar and count by tens until you are at the end of the list.

Community Member

Look, I don't want to get into a big argument with people about whether this is "DoooOoOOoOooom" or not, or whether it means anything long-term, or anything like that.

All I know is that I now long in at 8 or 9 pm EST and see what I used to see at 8 or 9 am. I just logged in for the first time in several days, and there's exactly one LFM up for all of levels 15 through 19.

That is not not what it used to be like, and it doesn't bode well for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForte View Post
    This (unless your lfm is for titan).
    or epic/raid on elite.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Look, I don't want to get into a big argument with people about whether this is "DoooOoOOoOooom" or not, or whether it means anything long-term, or anything like that.

All I know is that I now long in at 8 or 9 pm EST and see what I used to see at 8 or 9 am. I just logged in for the first time in several days, and there's exactly one LFM up for all of levels 15 through 19.

Solo, or start LFMs eh.
    Distributed - Currently on life 80.

Arrow

...snip..

All I know is that I now long in at 8 or 9 pm EST and see what I used to see at 8 or 9 am. I just logged in for the first time in several days, and there's exactly one LFM up for all of levels 15 through 19. ..snip...

Although the numbers are down (it is obvious) you are referring to a Level Range that traditionally has been a pain to find groups for.

With the lower population numbers, Stoner-Babies that by now have hit L21+ and the new content, its going to remain difficult to "find LFM's", and as Distributed has mentioned, you now must "make LFM's".

I log in at different times (Early Morning, Lunch break sometimes and Evening - Late Night and if I toss an LFM such as: Kings Forest Slayers, Chain 1, Underdardark Slayers, Chain 2 or Caught in the Web ... its full in a flash. or People drop from the SLayers because they are being called in to run something....

"Multi-Classing: If you don't know what you are doing...please don't do it."
    Arkkanoz / Barbarrus / BoarAxe / Bruttus / Dahlamaar / Dexxaan / Dominattrix / Gregorius / Inquisittor / Mechanikkus / Predattor / Suntzzu / Valkeerya

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    On which did you spend more time verifying your facts?

This....

or this?

My guess is that its about a dead heat
    Past precidents. These forums have been rife with claims of the game dying or server headcounts being down for 5 years now. So far all of them have been proven false by time itself, showing that the things I listed are exactly what happens. Now here we are in another slew of new games being released, and more forumites predicting loss of headcount in DDO. After how much repetition of encountering the exact same case scenario but expecting different results than what happened the last x-1 times, do we get to call it insanity. We probably passed that point in 2008 when people thought the game was dying after reavers refuge got released. Some of those people are still here and still saying the game is dying.

Also note their repeated quoting of my posts and demanding verification of facts. Let me see. 5-6 years of the same "game is dying" prediction, and we're still here talking about it. What else needs to be verified again? Lets start with the repeated claims of lower headcounts and the game losing money. Please verify those.
    Last edited by Chai; 09-25-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

That means that theres one person on the server who is willing to start a group at that very moment.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Machination View Post
    This... is so speaking for my heart and money I put into this game.

If only there was some answer from the offical side.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

I think that you are just having bad luck. I logged in at 4:23 Pacific time today, and there were 8 or 9 LFMs in that range. Don't forget that many quests we ran at lvl 20 cap, are actually lvl 20 - 21. So it is not uncommon to see 18-21 or 19-22 groups.

Might want to check that you don't have some sort of options disabled--I never set mine "show only groups I am eligable for" or "Hide Public" and the like. Also, if one does not own all content, they might not see all LFMs.

Also, I find that Sarlona is busier West Coast Prime time--6 PM Pacific til 11 PM or so.

6:05 Pacific Time today endgame--none of these LFMs are from any user channels I am in.

Last edited by moops; 09-25-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    Hexxa CLR 25 *TR* * ~Hexanna ~*TR* FVS 25 * Hexecuter CLR 20 *Flexanna RGR/R/M 18/1/1 *TR* * Flexa FTR/R 18/2 TR * Hextravaganz Bard *TR* 18/2 * Hexotic Sorc 13 * Hexquisite Wiz 23 * ~~Quantum Entropy * SARLONA~~ - * and various other scoundrels

Things are dead because people would rather not do anything than post groups.
    Distributed - Currently on life 80.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ilindith View Post
    things are dead because people would rather not do anything than post groups.

qft
    "Multi-Classing: If you don't know what you are doing...please don't do it."
    Arkkanoz / Barbarrus / BoarAxe / Bruttus / Dahlamaar / Dexxaan / Dominattrix / Gregorius / Inquisittor / Mechanikkus / Predattor / Suntzzu / Valkeerya

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Another reason for the quietness is...there are a lot of people waiting for someone else to put up an lfm for somethihing they want to do. There is a serious reluctance to start groups, I don't really know why. I have a lot of friends on Sarlona, and the minute I get on people send me hello what are you planning to do today Turtel tells, becuase I'm waiting for something fun to pop up on the board and they range from hoping to hinting that I should run something. X_X

I do love all my freinds, but I do wonder why so many of them wait for someone else to do it. I honestly have no idea where this comes from. I also see it on general chat a lot, people going on and on about there being nothing on board, and getting really resistant to the suggestion they put something up then. It was like that in Orien too when I played there, so it's not specific to Sarlona.

The only guess I have is people lack confidence. When I first started playing, and didn't get anything (Including how to scribe spells or...you know...move reasonably well) I didn't start any groups, even on Korthos becuase I was too busy trying to figure out how to play the darn game. Then after about a week, I started putting up groups and learned the quests as I went. Sometimes vet players would join and offer helpful tidbits, sometimes it was pure newb groups learning as we went. It was wonderful! We explored, figured things out, and had SO much fun. And were better players for it.

Have confidence in yourself, and just jump in new players! Read your objectives, and figure things out! Vet players, be patient in groups with the new players, they are the vets of tomorrow. Enjoy their excitement at the new game, and don't teach them to only start groups if they know the quests inside and out.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaunra2010 View Post
    I have not found one. This is my process:

1) Who list, blank search.
    2) Size the window to show 10 people.
    3) Click in the scroll bar to pagedown.
    4) Double-check to make sure exactly 10 names are displayed per page
    5) Continually click the scroll bar and count by tens until you are at the end of the list.
    That's a pretty good way to check. The only flaw is anonymous players. I'm starting to see non-healers running anon for some reason lately.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Quote Originally Posted by Alaunra2010 View Post
    Another stat:

Saturday 9/15/2012 1:25PM

Number of people online: 1030
    Number of LFMs: 26

(There were zero LFMs for level 25 characters, however.)
    Heh, 26 LFMs and you guys call that a dead server?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    never seen you post actual facts
    If you check my posting history, you'll see that they are chock full of facts. Of course, they likely don't look like facts to you, because apparently your definition of fact is "anything that agrees with Thrudh's viewpoint."

Some of most posts are primarily opinion, but if you bother to look at my sig you'll see that every one of my posts contains at least one fact

albeit without any access to the actual numbers, which more reasonable people would require before spouting off opinions
    Really Thrudh, you and Chai have a pronounced tendency to spout off opinions that are completely devoid of any factual basis. Chai in particular likes to blame me for every ill imaginable for the last 6 years, even though I've only played DDO since the spring of 2010, and never even posted on these forums until I had played for a year.

So is DDO failing or not?
    That depends upon you definition of failing, but the short answer is "yes".

The long answer?

Every company that creates a sizable game (which DDO certainly is) dreams of a blockbuster hit (see WoW, 10 million subs, and GW2, 2 million paid users in 16 days from launch). No one invests the huge amount of money (at least tens of millions, more if you're Curt Shilling ) with the risk of the game flopping and the investment going down the drain, merely with the hope of making a minor profit that could be replicated by buying risk free US Treasuries.

Despite the humorous protestations of the fanbois, DDO never approached the financial success of either WoW or GW2. In fact, it would have been a total flop if not for the creation of the micro transaction model. This brought a fresh influx of players (which was relatively short lived, with those players slowing draining away for some time). More importantly, it drew the attention of WB, which was willing to overpay for Turbine because it wanted access to micro transaction model to apply to its entire inventory of games.

The Turbine venture capitalists got the profit they were originally seeking. WB got its micro transaction model technology (with LOTRO thrown in for good measure), and also got saddled with DDO and Asheron's Call.

DDO got one shot to prove it was more than just balance sheet clutter, the expansion that was released in June. WB threw a big chunk of cash at Turbine, and in return it got

- changes to game mechanics that drove away a large number of veteran players (a dependable revenue source)
    - an ocean of software bugs
    - a dissatisfied customer base
    - a ton of negative commentary strewn over the internet

Perhaps that spells success to you. I have higher standards, and it most definitely spells failure to me.

Does that mean DDO is losing money? Of course not. WB will never allow DDO to lose money on a consistent basis. DDO has shown it will never be a blockbuster success. At this point, WB is simply allowing DDO to extract as much revenue as possible from its shrinking customer base. In fact, there are likely minimum acceptable profit targets in place. As long as DDO can plod along and meet those targets, DDO will go on indefinitely. See Asheron's Call -- its present state is DDO's future.

As soon as DDO starts to struggle to meet its assigned profit targets, WB will drop the hammer and force a drop in DDO expenses. The primary expense for DDO is new content creation. We are already seeing signs of expense reduction in that area. The shoddy state of the Update 15 quests (quests broken on day 1!) shows how hard DDO expenses are being managed.

The expansion was a primary turning point in the history of this game. It should have been a spectacular success (Druid, Forgotten Realms, epic levels). Instead, it was a failure, at least from a business standpoint. Update 15 is the "new normal". It will stay that way, until either DDO achieves a long shot recovery or just slips further down the slope.

I told you it was the long answer. "Is DDO failing or not" and "Is Turbine losing money" are simplistic questions that do not capture the complexity of running a real business.
    Last edited by GermanicusMaximus; 09-26-2012 at 03:43 PM.

You have no access to the actual numbers. You have no idea how well DDO is doing financially.. I do think there are some problems with the game, but I don't think DDO is in a death spiral. As far as I know, they are making record profits this quarter. It certainly is possible that selling $80 worth of expansion plus all the new store stuff is probably making them more money than ever.
    I think that Turbine clearly made a decent chunk of change on the expansion. However, I also think that a large percentage of those were on pre-orders based upon everything I have heard ingame and on the forums.

That almost certainly is in part a reflection of the compelling pre-order packages and much less compelling after pre-order packages.

The other part of the equation is the strong negative word of mouth the expansion recieved.

Lots of players (former and potential new) were sitting on the sidelines waiting to hear how things played out and if they should jump into DDO, jump into a competitors product, or wait it out for the next game.

That is not a good thing for DDO's future.

FR was enough to sell the first expansion, but there are no other properties that Turbine can draw on that have that level of IP value for DDO. That means future expansion will be based upon existing settings (FR/Eberron) or open up less valuable IP such as darksun, krynn, ravenloft, greyhawk, or planescape. Worse the timeline that DDO was placed in creates the possibility that the truly popular IP attached to FR will be unavailable for future DDO content.

That means even more of the sales will depend upon the quality of the work. That makes selling future expansion harder for DDO management to WB.

Turbine needs another big shot at capturing an influx of players and that means an expansion because updates do not draw the attention needed to pull that off.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

HEY NOW.

Only Shroud drama is allowed in Sarlona.

Keep it to general, y'all.

4 Pm Pacific time --31 LFMS, in all level ranges including epics, and epic raids.
    Hexxa CLR 25 *TR* * ~Hexanna ~*TR* FVS 25 * Hexecuter CLR 20 *Flexanna RGR/R/M 18/1/1 *TR* * Flexa FTR/R 18/2 TR * Hextravaganz Bard *TR* 18/2 * Hexotic Sorc 13 * Hexquisite Wiz 23 * ~~Quantum Entropy * SARLONA~~ - * and various other scoundrels

Community Member MaximumCharisma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moops View Post
    4 Pm Pacific time --31 LFMS, in all level ranges including epics, and epic raids.
    6 pm pacific --29 LFMs, in all lvl ranges with 6 LFMs for 12-18 quests (lvls set to max exp) a few epics, one shroud and an epic raid.

Honestly more than I am used to but still nice.

On a personal side: I posted several LFMs for lvl 16 content set for exp this weekend and like one person actually hit them. I ended up soloing the stuff anyway, so I think it's really hit and miss these days. Really though, who hits lfms when a gimp rogue named Yusif posts them?
    Secondlife and Komat of Sarlona

See, the problem is... your posts are NOT full of facts... They are full of opinions like these below

"An ocean of bugs" is not a fact. It is a subjective opinion.

Same with the rest of your "facts"... What data do you have that a "large number" of vet players have left? (What does that mean? Majority? Specify please)

What is "a ton" of negative commentary?

You don't even play this game anymore... All you have is anecdotal stories from people on these forums (small percentage of players) and maybe some input from people you personally know.

Anecdotes do not equal data. You have no data. You have no facts.

You have opinions... Your opinions are not unnecessarily wrong, but they are definitely not objective based on "facts". You make some good points at times, but they are diminished by your obvious distaste for this game and Turbine. Your opinions are coloured and subjective because of that.

You have no access to the actual numbers. You have no idea how well DDO is doing financially.. I do think there are some problems with the game, but I don't think DDO is in a death spiral. As far as I know, they are making record profits this quarter. It certainly is possible that selling $80 worth of expansion plus all the new store stuff is probably making them more money than ever.

But it's okay that you disagree with that... that you think DDO is destined for failure because it's bleeding people. What bugs me is that you act like you KNOW, and you don't know.

You don't have any facts.

And it's really weird that you take such pleasure in posting nothing but negative stuff on the forums of a game you quit playing months ago. Seriously, think about what that implies.
    I agree with you, it's getting rather tiring seeing his tirade all over the place. No idea what he is realistically trying to achieve besides grinding his gigantic axe. As a poster state above, keep it to Sarlona drama only please over here. :P

On topic, LFMs are still pretty decent and I play on offpeak hours mostly. But I do admit being slightly apprehensive about putting up a LFM myself, even after playing this game for 2+ years and having 2 20s. It doesn't make sense, as most of the people I meet here are decent fellows.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast