Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Yeah, I could transfer, but Sarlona is home, I'm in a guild with some nice people, and I don't want to bail on them. Plus, I have three bank toons, and it's a pain as it is to find room for all my junk every time I TR.

In addition, I don't really feel like Turbine deserves any of my money right now. I signed up for a year of VIP at the start of the calendar year and cancelled shortly thereafter due to annoyance with how the expansion was handled. I will assess at the end of the year if I want to resubscribe or just start buying adventure packs. But if the game is still this riddled with bugs and dead group-wise, I may just quit entirely and try something else. The way they've handled everything this past six month period is IMO very poor. But I'll wait a few more months before deciding.

I had put in a decent chunk of time into this game and am glad i met a few cool ppl. But the new update made all that effort worthless by making >90% of the old epic items and almost all raid items I had farmed more uselss than random trash items. I basically have to redo all the gear on my toons. If i have to start over I might aswell do it in a new game and play new content rather than have to deal with all the bugs and turbines legendary support team.
    If turbine releases some new content + does something about the old epic items + makes the eberron raids more usefull I will definitely consider restarting my ddo membership. Right now I am not going to sit and play the same few quests and 1 raid over and over to get identical gear on all my toons.
    Thaxlsillyia: Proud officer of Halfling Commandos

DooOO00oooMMmmmMmmm for this game for sure..This is it folks..the end.
    Prepare yourselves for the worst.

On a more serious note..This happens all the time,its not really doom...or is it?
    Mauahhahahaaa..but no,really,its all fine..Maybe sneak in alittle doom for flavor..

I love reading these posts..new game killin this game,players leaving in droves,
    run chicken little run..

You know what posts i havent seen in awhile is?..The ones where some random
    player is mad at something or other and tries to convince the almighty fourms
    people to boycott or to rage quit with them...
    Am sure someone is typing one up soon though..I will keep looking..
    Bluntt,Proud Officer of the Truth Seekers
    Adapt or Die,or be a ddo'er and /whine
    Blunttphorse,Madkill,Mait Manic,Ewak,Holmez,Rollin,Axeme Acers

Community Member

Overall, they really do seem to have made things worse with the expansion, don't they?

I understand change is necessary, and can even be difficult. But I think the jury is out on whether this is a temporary adjustment period, or a bad mistake that the game won't recover from.

I don't know...Last night was deader because some people could not log in--but yet I was still able to pug out or join quite a few pugs for the newer content.

To me, there is a real end game problem right now tho...there is no need to strive for the best gear anymore to beat some penultimate raid or some epic quest to get the most uber item ever. So Im sure that there are less people TRing and even grinding things. Only the super power gamers into having the best of everything seem to be grinding this stuff. I think that this is due to the fact that Epic Hard is such a joke, that most people will never run EE more than once if that.

Me? My only capped (25) alt has done everything but the new Raid on EE in sub optimal gear and some pretty bad destinies at times, so I see no point to grinding out gear, and just play for fun. I see no point in TRing anymore as well.
    Last edited by moops; 09-12-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    Hexxa CLR 25 *TR* * ~Hexanna ~*TR* FVS 25 * Hexecuter CLR 20 *Flexanna RGR/R/M 18/1/1 *TR* * Flexa FTR/R 18/2 TR * Hextravaganz Bard *TR* 18/2 * Hexotic Sorc 13 * Hexquisite Wiz 23 * ~~Quantum Entropy * SARLONA~~ - * and various other scoundrels

As of the post-update debacle tonight, 9/12/2012 at about 9:30PM Central Time, the count on Sarlona was about 740.

Last December, 2011, the player count averaged between 950 and 1000 for the same time slot.

Anecdotally, Sarlona is down by 200 concurrent users in the 9PM-10PM time slot from December 2011. Today's number could have been an anomaly due to the patch issues experienced today, so I will post statistics over the next few days to see if that is the case.

Assumptions and caveats:

1) In the 10 seconds it takes to scroll through the Who list, the number of logoffs offsets the number of logons exactly.
    2) The actual number is higher than my count since anonymous users are not shown in Who results.
    3) The percentage of players who flag themselves as anonymous and escape my count does not change from day to day. The number of anonymous players is always roughly n% of the total. I have no reason to believe that an additional 200 players have gone anonymous on a daily basis between last December and now.

We'll see over the next few days whether 740 is a statistical anomaly or the norm. I'll keep you posted.

--Alaunra

Community Member

Thanks for the hard numbers, much appreciated.

9/13/2012 9:20PM = 980. Yesterday's was an anomaly. I'll post a few more over the rest of the week.

It's a pain in the ass, but starting your own LFMs usually works. That's what I heard anyway, no one joins mine.
    Distributed - Currently on life 80.

I'm not a doomsayer, honest.

That said, it has seemed to me that Sarlona has been quieter recently. I am sure it is just a combination of things as said before and not the end of the DDO world.

I have to admit GW2 does look tempting and next week when I have the extra cash to spare I probably will buy it. (Ironically if I had the cash this week I probably wouldnt of bought GW2 and would of bought 11700TP instead)

I bet I come back to DDO though, as i imagine lots of people will once they have tried the new shiney thing
    Level 20 commoner.

Another stat:

Saturday 9/15/2012 1:25PM

Number of people online: 1030
    Number of LFMs: 26

(There were zero LFMs for level 25 characters, however.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaunra2010 View Post
    (There were zero LFMs for level 25 characters, however.)
    There's a Shroud and Kobold Assault and a request for a guild invite up for level 25 atm... hurry...
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

9/23/2012
    10:00pm

I blame the Stone of XP and all the L33T TR'ers that suddenly had their high level player pool muddied

Games great solo or with a party......so I really haven't noticed....it's a bit slower progress when you have to solo sometimes....but I play the game to enjoy the game and my time really.....XP/minute is pretty low on my list of priorities.

Scratt for president!!!!

The doomsayers are 0-1,326, and counting.

Theres a few observations Ive made on a few different servers I play on, including this one.

1. Many people mistake lack of players in LFM system as lack of players period. This is incorrect.
    1a....Channel groups are alot more popular.
    1b....Even newbies are making channels and friend lists etc.

2. Most of these people who are playing a different game will be back.
    2a....This has happened each time new games came out with "better graphics" and insane grind mechanics.

3. When people say "the game is losing players" what they really mean is...
    3a....The people I played with left, but theres a net gain in headcount because each vet that leaves is replaced with a couple newbies.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

I hate waiting for Pugs to fill so I mostly run with guildies and channel people, although the current channels I am in seem less active lately but could just be a change of schedules
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Is it just people getting back to work and school? I was away for a couple of weeks and trying to get back into playing a bit, but every evening when I log in the LFM panel is deadsville.
    I did an #AskTheMimic about this. I'll come back and let you know if I hear an answer.
    PLEASE FIX LAG. PLEASE FIX BUGS.

Quote Originally Posted by Machination View Post
    This absolutely details every reason why DDO is potentially dying. Oh and tack on the fact that LOTRO is their main priority and DDO always comes next.

Default Question:

So uh... how do you count the number of people online again? Do you hand-count the "WHO" list?

Is there an easier way?
    KASHIL -- KASHILAH -- MATTAH -- MAHGANE -- KHYBER -- ANNIHILATION
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    First, Meat-Head is exactly correct...

Community Member

On which did you spend more time verifying your facts?

This....

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The doomsayers are 0-1,326, and counting.
    or this?

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Theres a few observations Ive made on a few different servers I play on, including this one.

1. Many people mistake lack of players in LFM system as lack of players period. This is incorrect.
    1a....Channel groups are alot more popular.
    1b....Even newbies are making channels and friend lists etc.

2. Most of these people who are playing a different game will be back.
    2a....This has happened each time new games came out with "better graphics" and insane grind mechanics.

3. When people say "the game is losing players" what they really mean is...
    3a....The people I played with left, but theres a net gain in headcount because each vet that leaves is replaced with a couple newbies.
    My guess is that its about a dead heat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast