Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default More past lives after Completionist?

Well, I'm almost there, I am level 15 on Qerri's last life before Completionist. Question is, with the ED's are more past lives worth it or necessary? Just wanted to see what folks were thinking about multiple pl's these days and there worth. Thanks in advance for replies. BTW, ill be a rogue for final life, just in case that matters. Why?? Beacause I enjoy playing a rogue
    Qerri//Qoward//Qlockwork

SYNERGIA

Quote Originally Posted by Quoivat View Post
    Well, I'm almost there, I am level 15 on Qerri's last life before Completionist. Question is, with the ED's are more past lives worth it or necessary? Just wanted to see what folks were thinking about multiple pl's these days and there worth. Thanks in advance for replies. BTW, ill be a rogue for final life, just in case that matters. Why?? Beacause I enjoy playing a rogue
    How can you have done so many lives and not yet figure what past lives benefits are worth repeating?

Epic Destinies are very powerful... Definitely do the 21-25 game next; you can always TR again later...

I'm pretty sure though that anyone anal enough to get completionist is anal enough to want another +1 damage or 5% heal amp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    I'm pretty sure though that anyone anal enough to get completionist is anal enough to want another +1 damage or 5% heal amp.
    In this context the word anal is derived from the word Analytical which is a description of a personality trait. Going competionist is not something I would associate with an Analytical thinker. They are more likely to get on these forums looking for the "perfect build" than spend their time TRing. Sure they might go completionist too but not as likely unless they just have alot of time as they would spend so much time analizing to benefit to time ratio and likely not think it worth toe trouble.

Second you have the Sensational type who is most likely to crawl through every dugeon, do every optional and make their ultimate goal to be a completionist. Most likely they would never get there because they have to touch everything on their way.

Finally there is the Emotoinal type. This is the type who would stress the 5% healing amp, + 1 to hit, 30 HP... This type of personality is the type to think their build is the best mostly because of the past lives and the pure fact that they likely spend too much time playing the game. After all they are Emo's so likely have no real life friends distracting them from the game.

Now as far as the OP's question. Yes if you really want to do the grind. Pally gives 5% healing amp x3, barbarian 10hp x3, monk +1 to damage rolls, fighter +1 to hit and +1 to tactical (trip) x3, ranger +2 ranged and +2 ele resistx3, Arti +1 int skill (not that u woul dneed em unless it helps assasinate) and +1 UMD x3 and finally if you are taking arti for umd then you might as well get wiz for the +2 to wand a scroll dc's which would allow you to summon pets with scrolls making the Druid past life feat summoned creatures, charmed minions, and hirelings gain +2 to all ability scores.

So now you must Analize these and deceide if you are Emo enough to do the grind. I know I am working on it. Sorry had to be a smart a5s.
    My Main is a 7th life Pure Druid - Friertuck

AKA LitleJohn 2nd life wiz, Starsfan 2nd life Barbarian and Thrasiuus Epic Pally 1st life and a few iconics.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRunner View Post
    and finally if you are taking arti for umd then you might as well get wiz for the +2 to wand a scroll dc's which would allow you to summon pets with scrolls making the Druid past life feat summoned creatures, charmed minions, and hirelings gain +2 to all ability scores.

So now you must Analize these and deceide if you are Emo enough to do the grind. I know I am working on it. Sorry had to be a smart a5s.
    The Wizard past life x3 is effectively +6 to your spell pen which is always welcome when it comes to epic drow and such. Also not mentioned, Cleric x3 adds +3 conjuration and with Epic Diabolist Robe or Docent, that makes for some sticky sticky webs and amazing acid dmg to boot. Sorc x3 would net you +3 to evocation.

None of this stuff is necessary for any toon but just as any gear is used to help boost your dmg and skills, the past lives do too.

I have 4 more lives yet, but I'd rather do my repeats with the completionist feat than do them now.
    Deedeeo- 18th life Completionist (12monk/6Ranger/2Artificer) ~ Sonos- 3rd life Artificer (sorc, bard PLs) ~ Tronsector- 3rd Life Wizard
    Flavored Soul- 2nd life Sorc(FVS PL). (and umpteen bank toons and experiments) Member of Synergia(lvl100)-Argonessen

LOL, Thanks for the reply Moon, i wasn't even going to respond to that other reply. I know what the past lives are and what the benefit is, i guess the question is, do people think the GRIND is really WORTH the small benefit? Was just looking to get some peoples opinions that have it or have thought about getting the Completionist feat. I'm married with 2 kids and have a full time job so, TR lives tend to be slower for me. On the flipside i enjoy leveling....mostly

Q
    Qerri//Qoward//Qlockwork

SYNERGIA

IF you went with the Completionist X3 (gods I would go crazy) all the way you would be looking at:

+30 hps
    +6 Save vs illusion & enchantment
    +3 Bard Songs (hey, just saying)
    +6 Save vs Traps.
    +6 Elemental Resist
    +3 Conjuration, Evocation, and all Tactical DC's
    +9 Spell Penetration (!!!!!!!)
    +3 UMD
    +3 All Intelligence Skills
    +6 Wand / Scroll DC's
    +6 All Summoned and hireling stats
    +3 Turn Undead uses
    +6 Effective turn undead Level (just putting em all in)
    +3 Attack
    +3 Damage
    +6 Damage Ranged
    +3 Sneak Attack damage
    +30 Hit Points
    +120 Spell Points
    +15% Healing Amplification
    And of course... +2 to all stats.

Hair pulling frustration to go through? I would personally think so. Highly rewarding? Oh my yes.

In this context the word anal is derived from the word Analytical which is a description of a personality trait.
    I believe "anal" refers to "anal retentive" which is a Freudian term for a control freak.

Certainly not a trait a completionist would have.

I would get a few more PLs that served my intended class.

Why not?

You are so close to top of the heap.

Gratz on soon to be completionist.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

LOL, Thanks for the reply Moon, i wasn't even going to respond to that other reply. I know what the past lives are and what the benefit is, i guess the question is, do people think the GRIND is really WORTH the small benefit? Was just looking to get some peoples opinions that have it or have thought about getting the Completionist feat. I'm married with 2 kids and have a full time job so, TR lives tend to be slower for me. On the flipside i enjoy leveling....mostly

Q
    Completionist isn't worth the grind for the small benefit...

Multiple lives past completionist also aren't worth the grind for the small benefit.

That's my opinion... Which you asked for.

But if you feel completionist is worth the grind, then I would certainly think you would find the extra lives past completionist worth the grind because they are a LOT less effort.

For me, I think the sweet spot is 2-3 TRs... You get 36 point builds.... and a couple of active feats (hard to fit more than 1-2 active PL feats into most builds anyway). After that, the only thing you get for each additional life is a small passive bonus.

I do not believe that effort is worth the reward...

I will continue to TR now and then, because I like the 1-20 game... but I have 5 main characters, and I doubt I will ever focus on one of them enough to get completionist...
    Last edited by Thrudh; 09-11-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

2014 DDO Players Council

Question is, with the ED's are more past lives worth it or necessary? Just wanted to see what folks were thinking about multiple pl's these days and there worth. Thanks in advance for replies. BTW, ill be a rogue for final life, just in case that matters. Why?? Beacause I enjoy playing a rogue
    Yes, that you'll be a Rogue matters.

If I were going Rogue for final life, I'd certainly think about doing at least Artificerx3, and possibly Roguex3 as well.

My own plan is to end as a caster type (Cleric), so I'll be getting Clrx3, Sorx3, Wizx3, FvSx3, for the DCs and spell pen.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dylvish View Post
    IF you went with the Completionist X3 (gods I would go crazy) all the way you would be looking at:

+30 hps - all past lives
    +6 Save vs illusion & enchantment - very meh
    +3 Bard Songs (hey, just saying) - meh
    +6 Save vs Traps. - all past lives, but those with evasion much more
    +6 Elemental Resist - all past lives
    +3 Conjuration, Evocation, - casters
    +3 and all Tactical DC's - melee and hybrid
    +9 Spell Penetration (!!!!!!!) - casters
    +3 UMD -all past lives
    +3 All Intelligence Skills - rogue splash, some hybrids
    +6 Wand / Scroll DC's -most past lives, but limited in use
    +6 All Summoned and hireling stats - most past lives (summon clickies) biggest benefit in early game, or hound.
    +3 Turn Undead uses - cleric & paladin
    +6 Effective turn undead Level (just putting em all in) - cleric (paladin turning is rather weak)
    +3 Attack - melee, ranged, hybrid
    +3 Damage - melee, ranged, hybrid
    +6 Damage Ranged -ranged, hybrid
    +3 Sneak Attack damage- melee, ranged, hybrid
    +120 Spell Points - Any past life with a blue bar
    +15% Healing Amplification - most past lives, except for WF recon sorcs.
    And of course... +2 to all stats. - most past lives without a huge feat requirement
    The question is which type of build will you end up with? There are a few types: An arcane caster? A melee DPS build? A ranged build? Splash rogue for traps? or some kind of hybrid? Hybrids benefit from the MOST past lives, but that does not mean that hybrids benefit the MOST from past lives.

I am soo glad that wasnt taken too seriously. Do you have any other toons? I find having a capped toon while doing a tr can provide occasional releife from the grind. Ultimately it comes down to what you enjoy and you said you like the 1-20 game so maybe you just go for completionisx3 for that fact alone. Using that ideology (did I use that word right) the grind is a breeze for you so don't sweat it just do it. That way the reward isnt just the extra 20 hp you got from barbarian rather the enjoyment you got from doing all the 1-20 stuff again, and again, and yet again and...
    My Main is a 7th life Pure Druid - Friertuck

AKA LitleJohn 2nd life wiz, Starsfan 2nd life Barbarian and Thrasiuus Epic Pally 1st life and a few iconics.

Some past life's are better then others but there like trading cards Ive gotta have them all but there are ones i want more then others.
    Vertabreaker On Steam
    Vertabreaker's Power Hungry Quest TR 29 Of 40
    Encourage Self Sufficiency
    Power Gamer - Meta Gamer Since 1985

Community Member

I'd say it really depends on the end build. For example for a wizard/fvs I'd say the obvious 6-9 lives are a way bigger
    bonus then completionist. In reality I think for "almost" any build the right number of iterated lives is a bigger
    bonus then completionist. I know +2 to all stats is great but I'd so often rather take +9 spell pen or +3 conj
    dc's, or even +15% heal amp, +3 dmg.
    That's my view anyhow,
    Rawel

Q
    My apologies, was not answering the OP, was just fleshing out Moon's list of benefits.

On the flipside i enjoy leveling....mostlyQ
    Well there is your answer on whether or not it's worth it. If you enjoy it then it can only be beneficial and therefore worth it. I have not repeated lives on my Completionist toon yet as I said, will wait for feat, probably max desitinies then see about repeating some Pally, Barb, etc. and if I can stomach it, complete the lives that boost wizard or sorc.
    Deedeeo- 18th life Completionist (12monk/6Ranger/2Artificer) ~ Sonos- 3rd life Artificer (sorc, bard PLs) ~ Tronsector- 3rd Life Wizard
    Flavored Soul- 2nd life Sorc(FVS PL). (and umpteen bank toons and experiments) Member of Synergia(lvl100)-Argonessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rawel_San View Post
    I'd say it really depends on the end build. For example for a wizard/fvs I'd say the obvious 6-9 lives are a way bigger
    bonus then completionist. In reality I think for "almost" any build the right number of iterated lives is a bigger
    bonus then completionist. I know +2 to all stats is great but I'd so often rather take +9 spell pen or +3 conj
    dc's, or even +15% heal amp, +3 dmg.
    That's my view anyhow,
    Rawel
    This. And on same token there are some builds that capitolize on the completionist feat quite a bit more than others. My monk with UMD gets alot of mileage out of it. I dont consider myself anal but I felt compelled to play DDO in such a way as learning the game enough to dominate content and efficiently run for XP consistently when I wanted to has made me enjoy the game more. It opens windows of opportunity that make short play periods enjoyable to me. As i can log on, run some XP solo and acquire a very appreciable gain in resources. Then log off and feel generally positive with life and my inner chi.

My toon reckter (myddo got fixed on him i think?) is nearing end of his 3rd barb life. Next up is druid to reunlock completionist before going back to monk. 3x fighter paladin and monk down. 1 of rest - druid.

Do I think its worth it vrs EDs? absolutely. But again, the ED system is currently very limited (IMO) and I was able to grind through EDs relatively fast/smooth on my second main named anhilliation. So after I max EDs on anhil..then what? Im going to start TRing him again prob. By that time my monk should be just starting his ED life

Will prob start TRing him again I dont have tons of playtime anymore, but working through a 2nd life TR with 1ish day a week + few hrs here and there through week takes me 3-4 weeks mostly(sometimes completely) solo. So after you max your EDs on a toon I totally feel its still the next step in the game (and leads to much better game knowledge and experience IMO)

but if your looking for maximum gain for gaming time the lowest hanging fruit by a long shot is ED xp/twist grinding. Its a very large portion of the new endgame toon's power.
    Last edited by jeremyt; 09-14-2012 at 03:06 AM.
    Reckter: 28 heroic, 3 iconic and 19 eic PLs, now a 17 art/3rog shadar-kai. Anhilliation: 3x wiz/sorc PLs, 13 epic PLs now a dwarf 17barb/3bard. . Vikzor: 2xfvs + 4x epic PL horc 19fvs 1 fighter. Rekter: 3x rog & 1 fighter + 4 epic PLs, h-orc 13 rogue 6 monk 1 druid. Veisha: 3x bard + 4 epic PLs, PDK 16 bard 4 fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

For me, I think the sweet spot is 2-3 TRs... You get 36 point builds.... and a couple of active feats (hard to fit more than 1-2 active PL feats into most builds anyway). After that, the only thing you get for each additional life is a small passive bonus..
    You're right, +3 evocation on a divine or +9 spell pen on a caster isn't a lot. What game do you even play?
    Last edited by MyHumps; 09-14-2012 at 02:42 AM.
    I am a lost wandering soul

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999
    Can the monkies who program this game get anything write?

In this context the word anal is derived from the word Analytical which is a description of a personality trait.
    No it's not not is this context anyway
    Thelanis: Botar, Klogar, Saludar, Shantarr, Karygon

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyHumps View Post
    You're right, +3 evocation on a divine or +9 spell pen on a caster isn't worth it. What game do you even play?
    He might be playing the game AND have a RL (I know some people can manage both well, but getting a
    completionist or even 9 pl's ,while having a busy family life and work is a daunting task for most).

Note the "worth it" i.e. it's a timer/work vs. reward ratio. The way I read his post is "the amount of time it
    takes to do all the tr's necessary is not a fun/efficient use of my gaming time. I would rather try all the classes
    on a first life which I have time for then try and get 9 past lives on one which I might never finish."

The incremental rewards of a past life are really quite small considering the amount of extra xp you need to get.
    4.3 mill vs. 1.9mill is a huge difference and with the new ED system giving some of the benefits that
    tring could get you it almost certainly is more efficient to grind them then a past life.

If your play time only allows you an either/or option either get ED's, or get past lives going for a couple capped
    ED's for twists and character customization is 90% of the time the right choice.

Ofcourse if you have the time/inclination/stomach to get a 3x completionist and the ED's that will obviously be
    better. Even just getting the correct pl's for the build is a big improvement, but one that costs a lot of time and
    energy especially if you are not in a guild that does that kind of thing.

Just my 2 copper,
    Rawel

Default I only do a past life if the free PL feat is equal (or better) than a regular feat

My personal rule of thumb...

I only do an additional life if the feat I gain is equal to a regular feat.

Example

additional wiz past life feat is +2 spell pen = spell pen feat you would take

therefore on my caster, I did three total wiz lives.

Negative example

additional monk life would give +1 damage < weapon specialization

so I never bothered with more than one monk life

It's just subjective based on the amount of time I have to play. If I could play more I would lower my standards and get more PL.

It does matter what class you end up as. I have the most TR on my FvS (18), because you are getting worthy bonus from extra sorc lives and extra wiz lives. If I had cometfall I would have to do extra cleric lives too.

I don't see nearly as much benefit from extra lives for most melee. Melee DCs are usually quite good enough without extra fighter lives. What's 10 more HP when you have over 1000 unbuffed? Whereas spellpen and evocation DCs are often right in the critical range where each life is +5% or +10% success.

The exception would be those who really rely on healing amp to self-heal. There isn't any feat to pump healing amp, so the Pal past-life is 'priceless' to those Phoenix types.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Dependant PLs I'd consider if they helped my final build -
    Wiz + FvS(EE CCers),
    Sorc(Sorc),
    Paladin(Tanks/Hamp-Monkeys),
    Fighter(Tactics users),
    Barb(Tanks),
    Cleric(Acid Savant)

That's about it though. Obviously YMMV.

EDIT: So on a pure rogue, I really wouldn't bother.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast