Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meteor Swarm

Default Meteor Swarm

It used to be that this spell was affected by the highest combination of force/fire (potency and lore) for BOTH
    the bludgeon damage (untyped) and the fire damage. It now appears that it's been split such that you need
    impulse + combustion + kinetic + fire lore. Can anyone confirm this? (before I waste an hour killing rats in the
    Vale )

Quote Originally Posted by knockcocker View Post
    It used to be that this spell was affected by the highest combination of force/fire (potency and lore) for BOTH
    the bludgeon damage (untyped) and the fire damage. It now appears that it's been split such that you need
    impulse + combustion + kinetic + fire lore. Can anyone confirm this? (before I waste an hour killing rats in the
    Vale )
    coulda swarn that it was force spell therefore any force increases affect it..

Community Member

It would be nice if they'd fix kinetic lore to work on untyped.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    It would be nice if they'd fix kinetic lore to work on untyped.
    They did back when spell power changed along with impulse effecting untyped.
    Alkkarn Alkkine Alkine Roubot Alkot Alkky
    On argo cuz its better than you!

Confirmed. Bludgeon part is affected by Impulse and Kinetic Lore. Fire damage is affected by Combustion and Fire
    Lore. Makes sense but it's a pig to itemize without hot swapping.

Confirmed. Fire parts up'd by fire spell power, blunt up'd by force spell power.

Kinda had to set my sorc to a more generalist spec due to this. Some elec, some force, some fire, some everything.

The criticals however were not separated. The fire portion can crit with laceration lore, and vice versa (blunt portion with fire lore).

Kinetic lore does not work on meteor swarm. It's not typed as force.

Current applicable types:
    Fire
    Bludgeoning
    Earth

Believe this is now true of all multi element spells. Likely a side effect of the new spell power system and not necessarily an intended nerf. (Other tested spell was Prismatic Spray)

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Kinetic lore does not work on meteor swarm. It's not typed as force.
    This is important, and evidently something people are still misunderstanding, if responses to this thread are any indication.

Kinetic Lore does not affect untyped damage spells!

Believe this is now true of all multi element spells. Likely a side effect of the new spell power system and not necessarily an intended nerf. (Other tested spell was Prismatic Spray)
    Oh that suuuuuuucks. Intentional or not, that it really going to take the wind out of the sails of a lot of multi-type spells. Cold spec sorcs who don't invest in the fore line will find their ice storms are hitting for half of what they're used to? Prismatic spray has a chance to hit your preferred element with a big bang, do an instakill, or essentially fizzle with a completely un-enhanced element (or worse, your anti-element from being a savant)? Yet another nail in the coffin of Flame Strike and burning blood...

I truly hope this is unintentional and something that will be reversed, or it will make those multi-element spells require mulitple focuses, multiple enhancement lines, multiple spellpower items etc. just to get "full power" out of them. All that investment just to get spells that are on-par with their single-element counterparts? That doesn't seem particularly balanced!

Kinetic Lore will be amended to include untyped/physical damage. All 'force' line enhancements and impulse items have been expanded. It makes no sense to leave kinetic lore out.

It'll get fixed at some point.
    scrollfu! meowfu! +4fu! firstyfu!
    Maarl de Gutter (ret.) ~ Gnaaarl de Mutter (ret.) ~ Nineinch Rails (ret.)
    Intragreenis Druid - Human FvS [x2] Evoker ~ Guttural de Chanter - Elf Wiz [x4] PM
    Potpourri de Foo Foo - WF Wiz [Sx3][FvSx3][Wx3] Shiradi

I am not sure. Kinetic lore didn't effect untyped spells before (such as blade barrier) you needed arcane lore to cover it. Whereas the force enhancements and impulse already did and it was like this for a long time, so maybe it was intentional. Or yes maybe they just never got it sorted right...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post
    It'll get fixed at some point.
    I love those nebulous points of future time.

I like the bonuses applying only to the relevant part of each spell, because it makes sense.

However, multi-element spells were never very powerful to begin with, and this makes them even weaker. I would suggest keeping the requirement of separate bonuses, but lowering the sp cost on all multi-element spells to make them competitive.

Not a big deal though, plenty of more important stuff for the dev's to worry about right now.

what I'm wondering is if Meteor swarm gives you all your meteors now assuming sorc with quicken active...
    Real life is a worse grind than any MMO.
    Sarlona:
    Tirisha 25 FVS, Aierian 25 MNK, Girltank 18 FTR/ 2PALLY/5 EPIC, Seidra 25 SORC, Wikka 20 WIZ, Kylexi 20 PALLY, Stephony 20 Bard

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisha View Post
    what I'm wondering is if Meteor swarm gives you all your meteors now assuming sorc with quicken active...
    This was indeed fixed over a year ago. It's now quick and gets all 8 hits as intended.

They also gave the spell free double range at the same time as that fix, which really helped it in actaully being able to arc.

It still suffer some issues with manual targetting causign it fire somewhat downwards, but thats easily enough to work around if your quick with your mouse to aim up some when you fire it off manually.

And you can still miss hits if you move really wildly or try to fire it pointblank, but really no worse then any other spell in that regard.

For the most part I consider it fixed to be quite functional and a solid spell despite the seperated damage types.

Perhaps the enhancement pass will reduce the costs of +spell power boost sto make a mixing types more viable on sorcerers. And/or perhaps even make being a fire savant a reasonable choice at endgame.

Atm my sorc is and will remain a air savant, though I make heavy use of meteor swarm despite that (the heavy penalty to caster level on ms has no gameplay implications in ddo). Current spec is max electric/sonic/force, with just a few ranks in fire.

Community Member

And you can still miss hits if you move really wildly or try to fire it pointblank, but really no worse then any other spell in that regard.
    Firing it at your feet in the hopes of hitting anything around you is pretty often going to just cost you SP and not do anything, and firing it even at a target at range is still somewhat iffy if all the rocks will launch land, but yeah, that means it's only as flakey as all the other spells.

Firing it at your feet in the hopes of hitting anything around you is pretty often going to just cost you SP and not do anything, and firing it even at a target at range is still somewhat iffy if all the rocks will launch land, but yeah, that means it's only as flakey as all the other spells.
    Yea.. Ye olde jump-cast solves the point blank issue.

The longrange one pretty much you either are pro at manual target-leading, or just have to be sure the monster is running in a straight line - the game does do movement prediction for you, just not very well if the mob doesnt run straight at a consistant pace.

Quote Originally Posted by knockcocker View Post
    Vale )
    I can confirm that the Artificer's Prismatic Strike spell is acting like this. I have the force/untyped damage enhancement line, but no fire or sonic, so the force portion of that spell is much more potent than the other two.

Community Member

Yea.. Ye olde jump-cast solves the point blank issue.

The longrange one pretty much you either are pro at manual target-leading, or just have to be sure the monster is running in a straight line - the game does do movement prediction for you, just not very well if the mob doesnt run straight at a consistant pace.
    Not even talking about that, just firing it off at Abbot over and over and you're pretty much guaranteed to have a few not go off. Some will vanish due to geometry because the floor isn't perfectly flat. Some will vanish because you clicked it right as the timer came off so the timer will restart but you won't get anything. Some will just simply not hit with a full spread. At least swarm isn't too crazy of a recast, but when it happens with something like dragon's breath deciding to not hit something standing right in front of you, it is especially annoying thanks to it's limited use and long reuse.

Not even talking about that, just firing it off at Abbot over and over and you're pretty much guaranteed to have a few not go off. Some will vanish due to geometry because the floor isn't perfectly flat. Some will vanish because you clicked it right as the timer came off so the timer will restart but you won't get anything. Some will just simply not hit with a full spread. At least swarm isn't too crazy of a recast, but when it happens with something like dragon's breath deciding to not hit something standing right in front of you, it is especially annoying thanks to it's limited use and long reuse.
    Yeah, I notice since the physics 'update' that spells are much more terrain sensitive. I tend to always jump cast
    MS for this reason. Also, mobs (particularly archers and casters) zig-zag around like spiders on crack and for
    obviously quantum reasons, are often invulnerable when in transit.

Shame about the split in spellpower types (though it is logical) - I need about 40 more AP

This was indeed fixed over a year ago. It's now quick and gets all 8 hits as intended.

They also gave the spell free double range at the same time as that fix, which really helped it in actaully being able to arc.

It still suffer some issues with manual targetting causign it fire somewhat downwards, but thats easily enough to work around if your quick with your mouse to aim up some when you fire it off manually.

For the most part I consider it fixed to be quite functional and a solid spell despite the seperated damage types.

Perhaps the enhancement pass will reduce the costs of +spell power boost sto make a mixing types more viable on sorcerers. And/or perhaps even make being a fire savant a reasonable choice at endgame.

Atm my sorc is and will remain a air savant, though I make heavy use of meteor swarm despite that (the heavy penalty to caster level on ms has no gameplay implications in ddo). Current spec is max electric/sonic/force, with just a few ranks in fire.
    Sorry to dust off an old thread, but i recently specced for meteorswarm once again. While i find all the things said here true i think they bugged again the Quicken + MeteorSwarm thing... I don't always see 4 hits with Meteor Swarm if i use Quicken.

I'll do some tests and let you know.

EDIT: Ah and why the he** the damage types of meteor swarm have been separated? Nowdays Delayed Blast Fireball can reach 31d6 of [one-type] fire damage (lv.7 spell, fire savant) if magister with DI twist, why Meteor Swarm should be treated as a B game spell? It only has 32d6 and its optimization requires more effort...
    Last edited by Zerkul; 02-17-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    Guild Leader of "GODS - Guardians Of the Dragon Sanctuary" on Cannith --- My Characters: Zavarthak (20 Barbarian Frenzied/Ravager DPS - MAIN), Ryumajin (Warlock,), Leohands (Evocation FVS firstlife), Galvano (Paladin TWF). - If you like or find useful my posts, consider adding reputation.

Guardian
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    I can confirm that the Artificer's Prismatic Strike spell is acting like this. I have the force/untyped damage enhancement line, but no fire or sonic, so the force portion of that spell is much more potent than the other two.
    yeah, a few updated ago I had force speccd my Arti and it affected all elements of Prismatic strike and tactical detonation and elemental prod, now it only boost the force part, i wonder how prismatic ray is doing?
    I come from the west. Through countries, peoples, and cities - to this place: STORMREACH.
    My duty: Guardian. To mend and defend. To defend my newfound friends, their hopes, and dreams. To defend them from their enemies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast