Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1
    Uber Completionist Ilindith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,349

    Default 3-4 million plat to give away, but how?

    Plats just keep going up, and I have absolutely no use for them. Figured I'd give it all to others, but how should I do it?

    I thought of doing a "guess what game this song is from" party, but that would be limited to 12 participants, which feels a bit small and unfair.

    So, looking for ideas. What should I do to give this all away?

    Riddles in marketplace trade channel, 100k per good answer?

    Something else?
    Distributed - Currently on life 72.

  2. #2
    Community Member akash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Spellbinders' Land
    Posts
    464

    Default

    IMHO the best way to give away plats to people is through buying expensive things from AH (such as The Blood stone etc.) and put them again for auctions with a cheaper price tag (definitely with no buyout option). People running lower on plats will compete to get those things off through AH, and you will lose your plats.

  3. #3
    Community Member Quetzacoala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilindith View Post
    Plats just keep going up, and I have absolutely no use for them. Figured I'd give it all to others, but how should I do it?

    I thought of doing a "guess what game this song is from" party, but that would be limited to 12 participants, which feels a bit small and unfair.

    So, looking for ideas. What should I do to give this all away?

    Riddles in marketplace trade channel, 100k per good answer?

    Something else?
    The problem with the riddle idea is that you can quickly find the answer to most riddles via the internet.

    What I would do would be as follows:

    I would select a word or phrase of the day and would not tell it to anyone; the first time I see someone say it that day I would give them 100k platinum. It could be in any chat, whether general or guild or party.

    For example, mine would be 'Oswin' today because of the first Doctor Who episode of the season. It could have been a food, or an animal, or anything that you want it to be. Sooner or later someone will say it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    I agree with the feathered marsupial.

  4. #4
    Uber Completionist Ilindith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzacoala View Post
    The problem with the riddle idea is that you can quickly find the answer to most riddles via the internet.

    What I would do would be as follows:

    I would select a word or phrase of the day and would not tell it to anyone; the first time I see someone say it that day I would give them 100k platinum. It could be in any chat, whether general or guild or party.

    For example, mine would be 'Oswin' today because of the first Doctor Who episode of the season. It could have been a food, or an animal, or anything that you want it to be. Sooner or later someone will say it.
    True that, easy to find anwsers

    Hmm, I could always make up questions about games and if they answer correctly they win. Could still find info on the net...but at least it wouldn't be as straightforward as copy/paste the riddle in google.
    Distributed - Currently on life 72.

  5. #5
    Community Member djl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,652

    Default

    Just give it to your less fortunate friends.

  6. #6
    Uber Completionist Ilindith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    Just give it to your less fortunate friends.
    That would require me to have friends.
    Distributed - Currently on life 72.

  7. #7
    The Hatchery Aurora1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,614

    Default

    you could ask in general chat

    "what would you do with 1mil plat?"

    anyone who says "i would give it away to others because I have loads"

    Post all the plat to them and let them deal with it
    Quote Originally Posted by xanvar View Post
    I believe my left thumb is Gimp. I think I need to reroll.
    DDO Acronyms: http://ddowiki.com/page/Glossary
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...78#post2326178

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Make a unique contest thread via forums...

    Demand all participants post in thread, and have them do something pointless, like making a terrible DDO-Haiku.

    Example:

    On Korthos Beach Begin
    Short guy says 'Can you move?'
    ERMMERGERD SHERTERP!

    Winner(s) are randomly chosen.

    They have 24 hours to claim their prize, otherwise it goes to another random person.
    Last edited by UrbanPyro; 04-01-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    ~Aetherierlla~ | ~Alioria~ | ~Ausla~ | ~Blitzclank~ | ~Boomclank~ | ~Sputtering~
    Endgame; Sarlona

  9. #9
    The Hatchery Aurora1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanPyro View Post
    Make a unique contest thread via forums...

    Demand all participants post in thread, and have them do something pointless, like making a terrible DDO-Haiku.

    Example:

    On Korthos Beach Begin
    Short guy says 'Can you move?'
    ERMMERGERD SHERTERP!

    Winner(s) are randomly chosen.

    They have 24 hours to claim their prize, otherwise it goes to another random person.
    1. A haiku contest was done not long ago on these forums.

    2. I can't do haiku, even after reading how to.... but then I'm no good at poetry either.

    3. Why do I keep hearing the word Haiku in the last 6 months but never in the 32 years before that? Its like some new designer celebraty endorsed thing that everyone loves.

    4. Very few people who play the game read the forums.


    Maybe Il, you could just work out how many characters there are in the game, divide your plat among them and post a small amount to everyone

    OOOOOORRRR, if you could find someone to run it.... set up a guild, write the charter.... say a, (another) new player guide guild. And sponsor that while having someone else run it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanvar View Post
    I believe my left thumb is Gimp. I think I need to reroll.
    DDO Acronyms: http://ddowiki.com/page/Glossary
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...78#post2326178

  10. #10
    Uber Completionist Ilindith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanPyro View Post
    Make a unique contest thread via forums...

    Demand all participants post in thread, and have them do something pointless, like making a terrible DDO-Haiku.

    Example:

    On Korthos Beach Begin
    Short guy says 'Can you move?'
    ERMMERGERD SHERTERP!

    Winner(s) are randomly chosen.

    They have 24 hours to claim their prize, otherwise it goes to another random person.
    Don't even know what a Haiku is so eh

    However, I could indeed make something forum related. Like...simply have people sign up, make a list of those and then roll 1d# of people signed. Winner gets all the plats. Or I could roll a few times, so that more people can get something.

    4x 1mil?
    5x 800k?

    Or something like that.
    Distributed - Currently on life 72.

  11. #11
    Community Member MsEricka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Winnipeg Canada
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    That would require me to have friends.
    Now I'm hurt

    Highest number of kills in a quest, lowest number of kills.

    Get a raid party together, everyone rolls d100, highest or lowest wins or even closest to a number you enter

    As suggested already, buy stuff on the auction house and relist it for 1 platinum.

    Go gear up a n00b! Buy them a con tome and a tome for their primary stat and perhaps a con item

  12. #12
    Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council
    TrinityTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Findlay, OH
    Posts
    3,155

    Default

    I like your riddles (or trivia) in the market idea. We used to do that when I was on Orien before I moved here, and it was great fun. And it sparked a lot of random conversations so people got to know each other a bit.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

    Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

  13. #13
    Community Member Alaunra2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora1979 View Post
    2. I can't do haiku, even after reading how to.... but then I'm no good at poetry either.
    Dear Aurora1979,


    Haiku: no-can-do,
    but then I am no good at
    poetry either.


    Cheers!

    --Alaunra

  14. #14
    Community Member Culver.Civello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    915

    Default

    I'd enjoy some of that plat. I have a serious pot addiction. :/

    Lost Legions of Sarlona................................. Tyrs Paladium of Ghallanda
    Kobay . Kobai . Artisti . Kobot . Ezike . Dynic.......................... Ezike . Kobai

  15. #15
    The Hatchery Aurora1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaunra2010 View Post
    Dear Aurora1979,


    Haiku: no-can-do,
    but then I am no good at
    poetry either.


    Cheers!

    --Alaunra
    lol... really?

    So.... I was, like, 2/3rds of the way there just by waffling. Sweet.

    Honestly though, I have tried to learn how to write them but I don't understand which words you miss out and why you don't just write it like normal poetry.

    As I say, my poetry is pretty poor.

    Hey diddle-diddle a cat did a piddle all over the kitchen mat
    The little dog laughed to see such fun then piddled all over the cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanvar View Post
    I believe my left thumb is Gimp. I think I need to reroll.
    DDO Acronyms: http://ddowiki.com/page/Glossary
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...78#post2326178

  16. #16
    Community Member CheeseMilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    1,840

    Default

    Haiku is simple
    Remember the formula
    Five, seven, then five

  17. #17
    Community Member djl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,652

    Default

    You should give me plat
    I am incredibly poor
    Thank you very much

  18. #18
    Community Member Ainblizkap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    Go gear up a n00b! Buy them a con tome and a tome for their primary stat and perhaps a con item
    Really good idea. Roll a lowbie and enjoy the low level pug world, find a good newbie and roleplay santa

    Last one standing in a drunken raid gets all could work too!



    PS: I can be your friend and I'm pretty, can I haz your plat? ^_^

  19. #19
    Community Member Sock_Rawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanPyro View Post

    On Korthos Beach Begin
    Short guy says 'Can you move?'
    ERMMERGERD SHERTERP!
    Hahhaa too perfect. Nice poem

    What I would do is buy things for my freinds, but if you say you have no friends then buy something for yourself
    Known on Orien as Sock :3

    Aggadar, Xochipheel, Clarissen, Sockipheel, Shelinaa

  20. #20

    Default

    Regularly scan through the AH looking for commonly sought after items at good prices (named items and various ingedients for example). Then when someone you know is looking for something you can just pass it on over. That's pretty much the only reason I check the marketplace forums any more, hasn't been much worth trading in years.

    Edit: Another common one is to PUG shroud. There's almost always someone who talks about needing just 1-2 more X to finish up Y, and if they're not jerks or idiots, that'd be another good way.
    Last edited by vyvy3369; 09-02-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    Recently completed a very slow Completionist adventure, playing each class until I was bored. My son (Henry) randomly picked the next class from the ones I hadn't done yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload