Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Sorcerer spells for soloing

Hey

What spells, as a soloer, should I have on my level 18 sorcerer? For soloing, isn't some CC and ice storm important?

If so, what CC spells should I have and what AoE DoTs should I have?

I am an earth savant with a fire secondary, but I'm definitely going to change that, since I found out that devils are actually IMMUNE to fire, rather than just having resistance.

Should I have a larger variety of spells, instead of just evocation spells and 1 CC?

I have an Earth Savant as well - but with Ice as a minor focus, and it works very well.

What is your current spell list? It's hard to recommend what you could be doing differently if we don't know what you already have.

Community Member

Right, right, here's my list of spells:

Level 1: Jump, Shield, Repair Light Dmg, Exp Retreat
    Level 2: Web, Resist Energy, Blur, Invisibility
    Level 3: Acid Blast, Displacement, Fireball, Haste
    Level 4: Acid Rain, Dimension Door, Fire Shield, Firewall
    Level 5: Cloudkill, Prismatic Ray, Protection From Elements, Teleport
    Level 6: Acid Fog, Greater Heroism, Reconstruct
    Level 7: Delayed Blast Fireball, Finger Of Death, Otto's Sphere
    Level 8: Black Dragon Bolt, Power Word Stun
    Level 9: Meteor Swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by CircleK View Post

Acid Rain, Black Dragon Bolt, Web, and SLAs got me through a lot of my latest TR on Wruntjunior, pretty much from level 8 (when I got bored with fire savant for the first time about 5 minutes after seeing firewall vs acid rain) to cap (when I swapped to cold savant with acid back-up).

At this point, btw, you can probably afford to swap out repair light for something more useful utility-wise (I like featherfall so I don't have to swap out my boots with a large slot, but protection from evil is really nice for not getting greater commanded). Really, though, this spell list isn't that far off from what I've used, except for meteor swarm - I prefer grabbing wail first thing, then picking up mass hold and pwk with 19 and 20.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

I'd pick up the DoT-tastic wonders of both Niac's Biting Cold and Eledar's Electric Surge. True, you have the electric deficiency - but using both of those in conjunction with Black Dragon Bolt and Melf's is major damage.

If you have a Striding item beyond 15%, I'd remove Exp. Retreat and pick up Night Shield for the saves boost and the Magic Missile protection.

I use scrolls for teleport, so you could pick up something like one of the aforementioned DoT spells. (I dropped Prismatic Ray to pick up both, but that's more personal preference)

I agree with Wrunt that Wail surpasses Meteor Swarm.

Other then that, your spell list looks a lot like mine, save for the Fire spells instead of Ice and the Repair spells (my Earth Savant is a Helf). EarthGrab, Web, and Disco Ball is really the only CC I've ever needed.

Hope this may have helped a bit.

I use prismatic spray for a lot of my CC, especially in the expansion. Its just like the ray only hits an area. If you don't mind the randomness to it, it ignores spell resistance and can instakill or CC anything short of a red name, if you get the right color if can even kill the pesky death warded mob (though not epic warded)
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

yeah I use prismatic ray alot and it does wonders for my "killing things" ability.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

In addition to some of the above advice I'd also try and pick up a charm spell. In some places it's nice to charm some mobs, let them fight each other and then take the winner.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I'd pick up the DoT-tastic wonders of both Niac's Biting Cold and Eledar's Electric Surge. True, you have the electric deficiency - but using both of those in conjunction with Black Dragon Bolt and Melf's is major damage.

If you have a Striding item beyond 15%, I'd remove Exp. Retreat and pick up Night Shield for the saves boost and the Magic Missile protection.

I use scrolls for teleport, so you could pick up something like one of the aforementioned DoT spells. (I dropped Prismatic Ray to pick up both, but that's more personal preference)

I agree with Wrunt that Wail surpasses Meteor Swarm.

Other then that, your spell list looks a lot like mine, save for the Fire spells instead of Ice and the Repair spells (my Earth Savant is a Helf). EarthGrab, Web, and Disco Ball is really the only CC I've ever needed.

Hope this may have helped a bit.

I usually keep any DoTs I have (niacs, eladars, black dragon, inherent melfs,) maximized and empowered. Should I be doing that, or are they powerful enough without the metamagics? (inherent melfs aside, since metamagicking it doesn't cost extra)

Where can I get teleport scrolls? Are they sold at vendors? Because, if they aren't, then I won't be able to give up the spell, since I use teleport quite often.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    In addition to some of the above advice I'd also try and pick up a charm spell. In some places it's nice to charm some mobs, let them fight each other and then take the winner.

yeah I've been thinking about getting a charm spell, which one do you recommend, since there's alot of them.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

yeah I've been thinking about getting a charm spell, which one do you recommend, since there's alot of them.
    Probably Mass Suggestion. Tho, for a sorc lvl 6 is a busy level. Can drop GH for it and carry scrolls tho.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Community Member

alright. I really don't use greater heroism much.....I really don't know why I have it.

I would review all of the Buff and Utility spells in your list and ask yourself do you need them, or are they just as effective scrolled/wand/potion'd

Invisibility - how often do you need 1min/per Level invisibility? Or need to cast Invisibility in a hurry? Many times its less than a few minutes between doors, fights you must do or any activity where you lose the benefits of invisibility. Scroll/Wand/Potion goes from 3+ minutes costs zero points.

Greater Heroism - scrolled is 10ish minutes, does get expensive buffing a whole group, but we are talking solo here. Also this is not a heat of battle cast need.

Protection from Elements - Fixed length of time and little to no difference between its defensive amounts. While there can be an argument for a fast casting need it is still rare occasions.

Blur - Solo you should be able to keep Displacement available. For utility purposes utilize Wands/Scroll. I believe blur has a minimum length of 5 minutes. Also there is equipment that comes with similar effects that can be used to supplement.

Teleport - Works just as well from scroll as it does from casting

Dimension Door - keep it, unless you are among the lucky that have 100s stashed away from when they could be bought. Of all the spell scrolls I wish they would bring back to the vendor this one is right at the top.

----------------------------------
    I agree on getting a charm based spell, be it one of the suggestions or even dominate monster. Sometimes you need to draw attention away from yourself. These types of spells can help do that.

Web is one of those Go-To Crowd control spells, great for making stuff stick in place when you either need to run by or keep them in you AoE damage.

While Fire won't be of much help in the Vale and Amrath areas, it is still useful in Faeran where lightning runs into issues. Going Acid/Ice still is a solid choice.

I usually keep any DoTs I have (niacs, eladars, black dragon, inherent melfs,) maximized and empowered. Should I be doing that, or are they powerful enough without the metamagics? (inherent melfs aside, since metamagicking it doesn't cost extra)

Where can I get teleport scrolls? Are they sold at vendors? Because, if they aren't, then I won't be able to give up the spell, since I use teleport quite often.
    I usually only kick on the metas on tough opponents, not on trash. The key with the Niacs and Eladars is to make sure you keep them stacked fully on the mob and even un-metad, they crank out a lot of damage.

Teleport scrolls are sold in the Portable Hole.

Community Member

I usually keep any DoTs I have (niacs, eladars, black dragon, inherent melfs,) maximized and empowered. Should I be doing that, or are they powerful enough without the metamagics?
    Sure, if you want. However, these spells stack 3 times, and only the damage from the third cast counts, so a nice way to save some mana is to cast each of these spells until they are stacked twice, then turn up the metamagics for the third one. Some people even put it on their hotbar twice, once with all meta's turned off, and once with meta's turned on to make this technique easier (you probably already knew this, but right click on the spell on your hotbar to adjust metamagic setttings).

Portable hole. You can also get greater teleport scrolls there. It's my one stop shop for everything but Lesser Resto Pots and Heal scrolls.

alright. I really don't use greater heroism much.....I really don't know why I have it.
    GH is a great spell! Fear immunity (which the shavrath environmental effects do NOT give you btw), +4 to skills (UMD, concentration, diplo) and saves. As a sorc, those spell slots are precious, and I always keep a scroll stack of 100 of these babies around instead of memorizing the spell. Also available in the portable hole.

I would also recommend using fireshield and Mass protection from elements scrolls instead of the spells, but that is my personal preference, I like having as many nuke spells as possible, and keep lots of scrolls around for buffs.

Put me down for wail over meteor swarm as well. I also like to use circle of death. If it doesn't kill em, it neg levels them, and that's pretty nice.

Edit: holy ninja, Memnir!

Community Member

Agreed on wail. Also agree on taking PW Kill and mass hold, but only if your DC on hold will be reasonable (you may have nothing put into enchantment with your build).

I had an ice savant (current life is PM), so my knowledge on earth savant is limited (thinking of TRing back to earth next life). I recommend ice instead of fire for a number of reasons. First is Niacs, best DoT in the game (tied for with eladar's and the cleric/fvs one that are the same). Second is more things are immune to fire at higher levels. Third is that fire conflicts with web, which is your go-to CC spell. Also Ice Storm is better the Wall of Fire, if for no reason other than half the damage is untyped and affects virtually everything. Add in Polar Ray, the only thing you might miss is Meteor Swarm.

Close to this, but fire shield, invisibility, protection from elements, teleport and greater heroism can be scrolled without any major disadvantage. Instead i'd take both dots on lvl 5 and disintegrate on lvl 6 (against mobs that are immune to everything else). On level 2 knock (it's not necessary, but useful). Personally i'd also drop acid fog for symbol of persuasion.
    Sarlona
    Belduros // Hazord // Cany // Tyor // Deyra // Yannec // Rawnah // Teyrah // Jaheyra

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belduroz View Post
    Close to this, but fire shield, invisibility, protection from elements, teleport and greater heroism can be scrolled without any major disadvantage. Instead i'd take both dots on lvl 5 and disintegrate on lvl 6 (against mobs that are immune to everything else). On level 2 knock (it's not necessary, but useful). Personally i'd also drop acid fog for symbol of persuasion.
    Again, I think it's important to realize that you are using Web as a primary CC, so IIRC all offensive fire spells are counter productive. I would re-spec to ice as my backup element or maybe force (some things are really only affected by force or only disintegrate) and change spells as follows:

Level 1: I assume you kept repair light as it can be cast when out of mana, if so that's worth keeping
    Level 3: replace fireball with frost lance or chain missiles
    Level 4: replace firewall with ice storm or force missile
    Level 5: replace cloudkill with Niac's, and replace prot from elements with Eladar's.
    Level 6: replace acid fog with Otiluke's (top tier kill spell for sure) or disintegrate, add the other when you get a 4th spell slot
    Level 7: replace DB fireball with Mass prot elements, add prismatic spray when you get a 4th slot
    Level 8: PW stun is a good spell, but ask yourself if you need it more than polar ray, mass charm, or symbol of death. Sorcs have issue with SR and DCs, so symbol helps these a lot when you kite mobs through it. Polar Ray is a great single target killer and mass charm provides great utility. For fun try combining symbol with mass charm as a technique to do weapon shipment elite. Charm isn't always good in groups as they kill too fast and it slows down progress, but when you get overwhelmed it's a life saver.
    Level 9: Replace meteor swarm with wail, unless your DC will just suck, in which case PW Kill.

Scrolls are fine if you don't mind buying and using them. Personally I am always desperately short in inventory space, so I don't bother with them. Besides, I use teleport, GH, and prot vs ele ALL the time, I'd go through a ton of scrolls, and that's a pain in the butt. Invis and great tp are good candidates though.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I used to do this too, but with the AC changes I started slotting Shield. Even though my AC is meaningless against the highest to-hits, I figured that it's so easy to slot a resistance/stability item and there are probably lower to-hits running around I could catch a few misses off of. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by CircleK
    Saves are terribly underrated for non-Evasion types. That +4 to Reflex, Fort, and even Will for a soloer can do you a world of good. I happen to just dislike scrolling, so if you're like me it's really good to have it slotted. I would drop Acid Fog before GH in a heartbeat: you've already got Cloudkill, which for a non-meleer is massively superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inouk
    Again, I think it's important to realize that you are using Web as a primary CC, so IIRC all offensive fire spells are counter productive.
    It's only Fireball (and probably DBF). Scorching Ray and Wall of Fire are no trouble at all for Web. I don't know either way on Meteor Swarm, but Meteor Swarm is so lame, who cares.

Definitely definitely get Protection from Evil. Commands can get pretty nasty for soloers. A backup repair option is nice, but cutting down on the times you need it is even nicer.

Blur seems like it should be a major stalwart, but what if you get the Cannith bracers? Super Electric Lore and Blurry and some epic slots... no more Blur.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but to make your level 6 spell selection even tougher consider Necrotic Ray: negative damage (hello Shroud portals) and no-SR level drain (hello everything everywhere) all for 10 crummy SP.

Community Member

Hey

thought i add my spell list here to get some critic and or give some help.
    Its from my Acid Savant with Cold minor.
    (hes only 11 atm and i am still not 100% sure about selection, so everything in () is an option for later or was nice to start with, see AcidSpray/MastersTouch/Niacs)

1st: Expeditious Retreat, Nightshield, Jump, Grease (Acid Spray, Masters Touch, Niacs, Feather Fall)
    2nd: Web, Resist Energy, Blur, Knock (Scorching Ray, Invisibility, False Life)
    3rd: Acid Blast, Frost Lance, Displacement, Rage, (Haste)
    4th: Acid Rain, Ice Storm , Dimension Door, Burning Blood (Enervation)
    5th: Niac's Biting Cold, Break Enchantment, Cone of Cold, Teleport (Protection from Elements, Cloudkill)
    6th: Flesh to Stone, Circle of Death, Disintegrate (Otilukes Freezing Sphere, Gr. Dispel Magic)
    7th: Finger of Death, Prismatic Spray, Otto's Sphere of Dancing,
    8th: Trap the Soul , Polar Ray, Otto's Irresistible Dance (Black Dragon Bolt)
    9th: Power Word Kill, Energy Drain, Wail of the Banshee,

@Nightshield vs Shield
    Night gives u stacking +3 reflex so night is better all the time.

@Fire and Webs
    Wall of Fire and scorc dont destroy them, not sure about meteor never used it seems so weak

@Greater Heroism
    use it!
    just use it, scroll it but use it.
    +4 saves is so huge u want it, especially when soloing
    also dont forget the +4 counts for umd

Scrolls/Rods i use:
    Fireball to open Doors,
    Greater Heroism,
    (mass) Protection from Elements,
    (greater) Teleport, Invisibility,
    True Seeing,
    Feather Fall,