Community Member

Default Newbie Asking questions :)

Hello I am new to DDO.

I have a few questions about crafting.

1) I am getting a lot of gear that has solely +1 or +2, which no prefix. My question is, should I be selling this gear or is it possible to break it down?

2) Huge Ingredient bags are DDO store only right? That is what my research on wiki has turned up.

3) Should I be saving some of the +2 gear that I disjuncted and primed for an enchant? or is there some vendor that sells the gear ready to be enchanted? Because it is taking up a lot of my space

Thanks

1. I would sell most of the gear that doesn't provide essences. You will need a few +1 or +2 essences to make +1 or +2 weapons/armor.

2. You can get Large ingredient bags for turning in shards from the Subterrane (level 18 area). These bags are unbound and sometimes are in the AH.

3 For non-armor/weapons I would save +1 junk, not +2 junk. For armor/weapons you can craft starting with stuff bought at the armory next to the bank in the harbor. Later you can use Silver/Cold Iron and other weapons/armor you find.

As a bit of advice if this is your first toon you will quickly out level gear that you can craft. Crafting works best if you have a high level toon (at least level 17) collecting junk for your crafter to deconstruct so that he can make shards for you level 5 toon. You won't be making (good) gear for a level 10 toon unless you have someone at level 20 for a while or TR someone at least once.
    Last edited by WargamerIV; 08-30-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVatican View Post
    Hello I am new to DDO.
    Hello and welcome!

1) I am getting a lot of gear that has solely +1 or +2, which no prefix. My question is, should I be selling this gear or is it possible to break it down?
    While you can take the +1 or +2 off those items using Liquid Knife potions, generally there isn't much purpose in doing so. The only thing you can craft with those are +1 or +2 enhancement bonuses to go on weapons/shields/armor (And when you need +1 or +2 you can just buy one off the auctionhouse for a miniscule amount of platinum). You can safely sell those to a broker or vendor.

The real purpose of deconstructions are the prefix and suffixes, which not only give you small amounts of XP, but also give you the essences which are ESSENTIAL (har har) for the entire crafting experience.

2) Huge Ingredient bags are DDO store only right? That is what my research on wiki has turned up.
    Huge ingredient bags are DDO store only, but large ingredient bags can be found in game from two sources - The Twelve favor reward, and from turning in Planar Shards (Found in the Subterrane). Since the Lagre Ingredient bags from The Twelve favor are unbound, people who run muptiple lives typically end up with more than they know what to do with. That's a great way to get large bags on all your alts, but it also means large bags will sometimes frequent the Auction House, incase you don't want to have to wait til your late teens to aquire one.

3) Should I be saving some of the +2 gear that I disjuncted and primed for an enchant? or is there some vendor that sells the gear ready to be enchanted? Because it is taking up a lot of my space
    I am not 100% sure i understand what you are asking. Did you have, for instance, a +2 greatsword that you disjuncted? If so, that is now just a greatsword blank.

The only "blanks" you should concern yourself with keeping are:

a) "Bound to Account" blanks. Randomrolled rewards from places like Waterworks, Redfens, Shard Syndicate and teh like are often Bound to Account, and will retain that preperty even after you disjunct them, allowing you to easily transfer crafted items between characters.

b) "Metal Type" blanks. Weapons, armor, and shields will retain their metal properties when disjuncted, with the exception of properties derived from the "metalline" prefix (those go away when the item is disjuncted, since the "metalline" dissapears as well). Popular weapons (Kopesh, scimitar, rapier, and 2 handers) with popular metal types (silver, cold iron, adamantine) are worth a considerable amount of money. Finding quarterstaves or handwraps with these properties is a goldmine, as they are extraordinarily rare. Due to recent changes in how armor works, armors wih metal properties only drop from level 1-4 armor, which makes them a lot less valuable (But still good for new characters!)

c) "Guild Slot" blanks. Weapons, armor, and accessories can have guild slots ranging from Tiny to Large. Tiny guild slot items ar emore-or-less vendor fodder, unles syou personally want to use them. large Slot items, especially on popular weapon or armor types, or on any kind of accessory, are worth a lot of platinum.

So if your blanks are not one of the aforementioned types, there usually isn't much reason to hold onto them. If you find that you want to craft a new X, you can always go to the auctionhouse and find the cheapest X on there, buy it, disjunct it, and start from there.

Community Member

Thanks a lot for the responses.

I am finding that this game is huge in terms of things for me to learn.

I appreciate it.

Khyber is my server, same character name, if in the future you need some assistance, in the way future hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVatican View Post
    I break down everything, generally.
    Some things about +x enchantments, which haven't been mentioned:
    * You get arcane crafting XP for liquid knifing.
    * Batches of +x enchantment bottles can be used to make shards of potential.
    * You still make a profit on each deconstruction.

If you are short of inventory space to haul loot to the crafting hall it'd be safe to just vendor the lesser stuff, the plain weapons and the mixed junk.
    Keep the ones you know will yield decent essences, e.g. skill items +5 or better.

If you're in the middle of questing, your inventory is almost full and you can't be bothered to deal with decon right then, sell it all and use the Buy Back tab at any vendor within the next 24 hours.