Thumbs up Web line snare is cool

I have to say this is one of the coolest, if not the coolest attack in the game. I love the animation of the Driders as they pull back on the web to trip you.

I also got my version of being attacked by Spiderman. After finishing The Portal Opens, I usually just jump and feather fall as far across town as possible. More than once I have been "snared" while being way up in the air.

Anyway, it's pretty cool.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

It is cool, but putting grapple checks in the game without the escape artist skill and taking away Freedom of Movement's ability to defend against them is a pretty mean thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesuvium View Post
    We shall kill it with fire. And engineers.

Community Member

It is cool, but putting grapple checks in the game without the escape artist skill and taking away Freedom of Movement's ability to defend against them is a pretty mean thing to do.
    Web snare can be stopped by simply blocking when you hear the sound. Hold block until the animation finishes, and you will not be tripped. No FOM/grapple check (?) required. On that note, if you are a little slow to react and are tripped by this, hold block while you are on your back, that WILL reduce incoming damage.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ayyelos View Post
    Web snare can be stopped by simply blocking when you hear the sound. Hold block until the animation finishes, and you will not be tripped. No FOM/grapple check (?) required. On that note, if you are a little slow to react and are tripped by this, hold block while you are on your back, that WILL reduce incoming damage.
    Wait... Blocking *does* protect against it? I always just assumed it was a spell effect and never tried! No really, if it works this way, I just decided to like it a good bit more.
    Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOON375 View Post
    I have to say this is one of the coolest, if not the coolest attack in the game. I love the animation of the Driders as they pull back on the web to trip you.....

It's been done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C3poU_0sK4

That was the first thing I thought of reading the thread title.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

funny some people learn about blocking just now. do they realize blocking stops a lot of effects? lol

i discovered that by accident, but yah it stops it.

can i trade my ranger uber growth spell for this one? i'll pay tp...

Community Member

Yeah it is pretty cool...until you get hit by a web line from a drider thats 2 miles away on the other side of the Underdark. Still haven't figured out why it happens...just assumed that I must have agro'd it at some point and then travelled away from it, but no matter where I go or how far away I am from the drider its still able to hook me. From an insanely long distance, through walls, structures and mountainous terrain. lol

To be fair, it is pretty weird and silly that holding a shield in front of your face will prevent someone from sweeping your legs out from under you. DDMortalKombat?

Quote Originally Posted by LOOON375 View Post
    I have to say this is one of the coolest, if not the coolest attack in the game. I love the animation of the Driders as they pull back on the web to trip you.

I also got my version of being attacked by Spiderman. After finishing The Portal Opens, I usually just jump and feather fall as far across town as possible. More than once I have been "snared" while being way up in the air.

Anyway, it's pretty cool.
    I have to agree, the devs outdid themselves with this.

Although I have to say it is slightly amusing to say the least. And the driders spam it with a vengeance. That and dispel magic (which IS highly annoying and not amusing)

Here's an interesting tidbit.. driders amazingly enough *cannot see invisible*.. odd yes, considering they are a form of drow but if you run by them invisible they may not see or target you in time to snare you

Community Member

Good trolling there OP.

It is counted as non-magical in order to stop FoM from stopping it (after they nerfed FoM to not work on non-magic which is completely nonsensical to begin with).

Despite being non-magical, it goes through floors and walls and other people. It never misses. If literally goes faster than a lightning bolt. It has impossible ranges. It works on incorporeal.

There is nothing about this power that fits with the rest of the game or 3E mechanics. Poorly conceived, poorly implemented, purely Turbine.

Thumbs down

Despite the animation might be cool...

This ability bypass ALL the trip immunities players might have. This is not cool.
    Guild Leader of "GODS - Guardians Of the Dragon Sanctuary" on Cannith --- My Characters: Zavarthak (20 Barbarian Frenzied/Ravager DPS - MAIN), Ryumajin (Warlock,), Leohands (Evocation FVS firstlife), Galvano (Paladin TWF). - If you like or find useful my posts, consider adding reputation.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zerkul View Post
    Despite the animation might be cool...

This ability bypass ALL the trip immunities players might have. This is not cool.
    And right now, a Drider from Faerun just tripped me.

Yes, their range is that big. And annoying.

Community Member

It currently has no line of sight or distance check which is a problem. It also cannot be defeated by fire shield like it should. Fire Shield should burn away the webbing per spell description.