Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This spell is just agonizing. It's not fun at all, that's the problem. I'm fine with dying because of saves, but it's the way it's done that angers me. Yes, let's have me stand still here for 45 seconds, that really lets me enjoy the quest. Even if I don't die it's a 45 second abrupt break from doing anything.

Pretty bad design, that. It robs the player of agency entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Barbs are not too hard to maintain a 80 str (+35).
    Break down please...

How do you maintain a 80 STR on a barbarian?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

(EG: Use FoM scrolls/boots to be immune.. I have those on my sorc tho i actaully did not wear them while i solod EH. I guess the fact I sorta 1 shot everything renders the druids abilies rather moot regardless)
    Where does one buy these FoM scrolls?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member

The problem is that someone from up on high has decided that the most fun anyone can have in a game is being helpless, immpobilized and unable to do anything for a long time with no way to protect yourself from it.

The same is pretty much true for the drow paralyzing poison and the nerfs to Freedom of Movement, the 1 minute duration of Entangle and lack of a realistic save is just the icing on your turd sandwhich.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Break down please...

How do you maintain a 80 STR on a barbarian?
    Start w/ a 20 Str on a Horc...
    +2 racial
    +8 item
    +2 insight
    +1 exceptional
    +8 mighty rage
    +2 capstone
    +2 ToD set
    +4 Power Rage
    +2 Horc power rage
    +2 Frenzy
    +4 Death Frenzy
    +5 Primal Scream (Fury of the Wild)
    +6 levels
    +2 Madstone
    +2 ship
    +2 Yugo
    +3 tome
    +1 Fury
    _____
    78, and I'm sure I've left something out

Double-Madstone would do it, but that's not sustainable, really. Axer runs with a bard full-time, so he gets Inspire Excellence all the time, I'm sure as well.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

I just experienced this on my 20 str sorc. Thorn and Paw, EH.

Druid spammed it, with refreshes timed perfectly. No saving throw, nor spell resistance allowed. 45 sec auto-paralyze effect that happens instantly. Naturally the druid then proceeded to spam fire and lightning spells. I do have many protections and wards, but when you can't act.. then you can't act. An idiot designed this spell.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrite View Post
    I just experienced this on my 20 str sorc. Thorn and Paw, EH.

Druid spammed it, with refreshes timed perfectly. No saving throw, nor spell resistance allowed. 45 sec auto-paralyze effect that happens instantly. Naturally the druid then proceeded to spam fire and lightning spells. I do have many protections and wards, but when you can't act.. then you can't act. An idiot designed this spell.
    Not true. I just ran the exact same quest, solo , on a bad destiny (on the new one, primal avatar actually) on lammania to test that destiny.

I purposely let the the druids do what they want to figure out what you guys are talking about.

Snare lasts 20 seconds, and offers a recurring str save every 2 seconds. The DC was NOT that high, I made it on my sorc, tho had to roll a 17 or 18ish.

He does has decent str for a pure caster sorc, but its an epic hard solo, anyone serious about that should make an effort to have strong stats. Think it was about 28 (with a 10 starting str).

Even when I didnt make the save for like 10 rolls, i still survived anyways, the druids do pathetic dmg.

I also just tried running around dotting them slowly down rather then fast nuking, worked fine and I never got snared as long I kept moving. Seems to be some delay to the spell and doesnt hit you if you move quickly.

So no, this quest is not particularl hard to solo on EH for low str sorcerers. Quite easy really. Just kill the druids fast from a distance and keep moving and your low str wont matter. The fact I did this several times before and NEVER even saw this effect speaks a lot of that fact.

And there is nothing wrong with the spell either. If anything its weak because of its 2 second recurring save and poor duration. Ever hear of flesh to stone? That is much more devastating. This one just happens to target a stat you completely ignored and your punished for it, put the tiniest bit of focus into it and youll make some saves.

Community Member

This one just happens to target a stat you completely ignored and your punished for it, put the tiniest bit of focus into it and youll make some saves.
    Indeed. Clearly you've demonstrated that everyone is wrong. So either they are lying or delusional. Even my experiences with snare are counter to yours, so I guess I'm lying or delusional too. Can't be any other explanation. . .

2015 DDO Players Council Ironforge_Clan's Avatar

Not true. I just ran the exact same quest, solo , on a bad destiny (on the new one, primal avatar actually) on lammania to test that destiny.

I purposely let the the druids do what they want to figure out what you guys are talking about.

Snare lasts 20 seconds, and offers a recurring str save every 2 seconds. The DC was NOT that high, I made it on my sorc, tho had to roll a 17 or 18ish.

He does has decent str for a pure caster sorc, but its an epic hard solo, anyone serious about that should make an effort to have strong stats. Think it was about 28 (with a 10 starting str).

Even when I didnt make the save for like 10 rolls, i still survived anyways, the druids do pathetic dmg.

I also just tried running around dotting them slowly down rather then fast nuking, worked fine and I never got snared as long I kept moving. Seems to be some delay to the spell and doesnt hit you if you move quickly.

So no, this quest is not particularl hard to solo on EH for low str sorcerers. Quite easy really. Just kill the druids fast from a distance and keep moving and your low str wont matter. The fact I did this several times before and NEVER even saw this effect speaks a lot of that fact.

And there is nothing wrong with the spell either. If anything its weak because of its 2 second recurring save and poor duration. Ever hear of flesh to stone? That is much more devastating. This one just happens to target a stat you completely ignored and your punished for it, put the tiniest bit of focus into it and youll make some saves.
    Sorry Shade on Live the affects of snare are exactly how we are describing them. You do not get a save every 2 seconds and you need to roll a 20 to break free. Your experience on Lam might be different but then again the Devs may have read this thread without posting and modified the spell. Please don't come in here and try to tell multiple players that they are wrong based upon their similar experiences because you are testing on Lam and not running on Live.
    Axebiter, Cujo, Runeforge, Runefury, Runegoth, Runehealer, Runehamer, Runehorde, Runenight, Runesongs, Runezephyr
    And the forgotten: Runeaura, Runedevourer, Herstinkie, Runewolf,
    Caught somewhere between casual player and power gamer.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Try that again on live, please. What you note is not what the rest of us have delt with. It may be the spell is getting nerfed to not be such a detriment.

In which case your "not true" becomes "I have an update for everyone."
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 10-24-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Just to factor out the Normal/Hard debate, I also ran into trouble with this on Normal on my Pally/Monk, whose STR is "only" 30 -- 16, level ups, +6 item, +2 tome, +1 enhancement. I got snared a couple of times for 15 seconds at a time.

In general, I'm fine with this. Being able to solo any quest with any character isn't necessary, in my opinion. Kryptonite is OK.

That being said, it *does* seem that snare STR checks are out of line/out of balance with the challenge presented by other things at the same difficulty level. Having a quest be an absolute cakewalk for 90% of it, only to find one mechanic that's unbeatable, is really jarring, and feels like the balance team screwed up. You put 0 points in STR and have no items/tomes? Fine -- you get chain-snared into oblivion. On the other hand, if you've actually invested in STR as a "main stat" of your character, seems like STR checks should be relatively easy to make, at least on Normal.

So, I guess I agree with both Shade and the OP? STR checks make Snare much more dangerous than any other spell or effect at-level; but I don't think it's a critical problem that demands a fix -- more of a, "huh, that's weird" problem.
    The Brotherhood of BYOH--Thelanis: Charged, WF Artificer; Venomshade, Half-Elf Monk; Poxs, Fist of an Angry God; Crash, Pale Monkster

The Hatchery

IMO whats not WAI is the joke that is Epic Hard...

The test server, and your experience on it, is not applicable for this discussion.

Since the OP does not mention the test server, I believe the majority of folks here including the OP are discussing their experience on live.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I wish it worked as well when I cast it.

10 + 9 (heightened) + Wis mod... which even if you somehow reached a 40 Wis would be +15.

34 dc max. And most players will have lower IMO.

and why does it take so long betwen saves?

When I cast it they barely stay trapped fo reven a second. Never 30 seconds!

Of course... things never get tripped in DDO either.... so I assume all monsters have super high Str scores.... which is why they do not get tripped and do not stay Snared.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12