Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Terrible loud notification beep

So all the volumes are on a decent volume. Certainly not hard. Some are even low. Except the notification beep, the one when someone sends you a private message. The beep is VERY loud, like the volume is turned to max both in-game and on the computer, and I can't find an option anywhere to lower it. Is there a way to lower the volume of the notification beep?

Turbine, bringing a new annoying sound to DDO gamers every update since 2006!

No, there is no way to turn it down, all my sounds ingame are at 1 and it blows up my ears everytime I get a tell.
    Distributed - Currently on life 72.

Try the user interface slider, or UI slider.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilindith View Post
    Turbine, bringing a new annoying sound to DDO gamers every update since 2006!

No, there is no way to turn it down, all my sounds ingame are at 1 and it blows up my ears everytime I get a tell.
    If you consider the average player sets all sounds to 0.0X and makes voice chat 1.00, it is no wonder that whenever sounds are changed, they BLAST THE LIVING FRACK OUT OF THE HEARING.

Community Member

They need yet more volume sliders. There's a number of unadjustable sounds, only ones off the top of my head are the airship wind, and the DING. Also, volume sliders for each member of your party. It doesn't need to remember those settings. Just offer bars for player slot 2 through 12 I can adjust on the fly when someone is loud or someone is quiet. I expect none of this but would be so happy to receive any.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    If you consider the average player sets all sounds to 0.0X and makes voice chat 1.00, it is no wonder that whenever sounds are changed, they BLAST THE LIVING FRACK OUT OF THE HEARING.
    I meant that mine are all 0.01 my bad, still wayyyyyyyyy loud when I get a tell.
    Distributed - Currently on life 72.

Community Member

Good to know it isn't just me.... Well kind of good. I'd expect this complaint earlier and thus be fixed. Oh well, I guess all I can do is wait for a hopeful fix.

Default Solution

Turn down your computers sound volume.
    Turn up all sliders except UI.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    Turn down your computers sound volume.
    Turn up all sliders except UI.
    My computer's volume is already pretty low, like 25%-ish of the maximum since I don't like the game sound to be loud in general. So while this might work, it's not usable for me.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default volume

This is usually fixable by opening your Options in DDO then going to Volume and then adjusting the UI (user interface) slider. I believe its the last slider on that page. You may want to update the drivers on your sound card. What kind of headset do you use & what version of Windows?

B
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Eighnuss View Post
    They need yet more volume sliders. There's a number of unadjustable sounds, only ones off the top of my head are the airship wind, and the DING. Also, volume sliders for each member of your party. It doesn't need to remember those settings. Just offer bars for player slot 2 through 12 I can adjust on the fly when someone is loud or someone is quiet. I expect none of this but would be so happy to receive any.
    This would rock, big time! Every now and then you get that player in a pug that either have his mike pointing to the other side of the room or has his gain set trough the roof.

I agree that tell sound is horrible loud.
    The only good thing is that i can go afk to another part of flat, and still hear it.

It is (as mentioned above) the UI slider. Unfortunately, turning it down to a manageable volume (enough to hear but not screaming at you) has an unfortunate consequence of other sounds being turned down so low you never hear them at all (one example: the "sell" sound in the vendor interface). Bug reported.

Really, the only thing that could be done to blance these out is for Turbine to normalize that ding to a lower volume - till that happens, we deal with the imbalance of sounds that are considered part of the UI.

The problem with adjusting the volume down on the DING sound is that it brings voice chat down to an unhearable level.

Why can't you just turn the UI sounds down to 0.00?

One option is to turn UI sounds down to 0.01 then turn all others up a bit, perhaps to 0.05, then adjust the master volume down to about 0.75 or 0.50. Of course, this will turn down voice chat volume too, so you'd have to live with that.

I have all sounds at 0.01 except for voice chat (which is at 1.00) and the tell sound doesn't bother me though.

We've been looking into this issue, and it looks like what's happening is that the sound is being amplified if you have multiple chat windows set to receive /tells. One way to mitigate this louder-than-intended sound is to limit the number of chat windows that are set to receive /tells. This can be done by right-clicking on the tab, and selecting "Set Incoming Text Types" then de-checking /tell. This is just a temporary workaround until we can get this more permanently fixed.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

That actually makes sense. It's not really that the DING is too loud, so much as there are 4+ DINGs going off at the exact same time.

I will definitely try that when I get home tonight.
    Bronies: For those who get it, no explanation is needed; for those who don't, none will do.

Although it is loud, I like it that party *ding* and private *ding* are distinguishable from eachother. Please keep this as an option with the fix. Whether it's the loudness or a different sound, I don't really care, but I'd like them to be different even in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We've been looking into this issue, and it looks like what's happening is that the sound is being amplified if you have multiple chat windows set to receive /tells. One way to mitigate this louder-than-intended sound is to limit the number of chat windows that are set to receive /tells. This can be done by right-clicking on the tab, and selecting "Set Incoming Text Types" then de-checking /tell. This is just a temporary workaround until we can get this more permanently fixed.
    It's always been louder the more windows it is set to appear in but now it's ear-bleedingly loud compared to before!

Community Member

Wait... you set your volume on each tell?

So... multiple tells will have multiple additions to volume?

Erm. Really?

Seriously guys, you gotta do something about that code.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast