Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

I actually prefer Reaving Roar to fatal harrier.

Freedom of Movement, gather them all up to red dungeon alert, throw down a sleet storm and blow them all up, and that way you don't have to maintain your stacks either if you just can't get those killing blows.
    ~Sarlona~ - Proud Member of The Unrepentant
    Maelodic - Rockin all the day long
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Praise Dog, and Maelodic, his prophet.

Community Member

^ Would be better for lower levels, but not higher levels/epics.

To the OP. I really dig this build, but sadly, I can't ever play a build that I've seen someone else run, as much as I want too.
    Have something something simliar I plan on posting once its up in levels, but it maybe on par, or better than this.

Hint: Acrobat + barbarian + druid.

I'm personally runnin a 12 Rogue/7 druid/1 Monk version of this build. I don't really have any relevant past lives, but I only have 1 complaint for the whole build and it's the same one Tygara had. Figured up I'm going to have at about 550hp at lvl 25 in any destiny that doesn't give hp innately.

Now, I know to fix this problem I could go dreadnought and because I'm a rogue I get to not take haste boost. Also I went acrobat (screw the 2d6 damage from Assassin, Knockdown immunity is 100% better) and this also means I can take Momentum swing and use Sireth to help charge Masters.

However, I end up with the problem of not having enough str to make it worth while and Primal looks like a lot of fun.

The reaving roar idea seems interesting, but fatal is just such a massive power trip that I can't really give it up.
    De'Corenai of Argonessen. If you've seen me, you know what I'm talking about.

Community Member

Default Combat Brute

I noticed last night that on the Combat Brute ability it says, (does not apply to handwraps) So does that mean you are missing out on the entire ability as a monk, the +1W or what? Its not a huge deal because it only applies when an action boost is going anyway but I was really curious about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by tygara View Post
    Level 1 - Rogue
    Feat: Cleave + Power Attack
    How's your to-hit?
    I've been playing around with a build like this, but I just feel like having the hits to BaB PLUS Power Attack's drawbacks...

It seems to me like this build would function better with precision and quick draw instead of those two feats - or is the loss of DPS enough to counteract the benefits of those feats?

(I don't figure I need cleave, as, as far as I know, Masters' Blitz will still charge from trip, sunder, and, in quests, stunning blow.)

Community Member

It makes a difference when you have PL fighters and completionist. Otherwise you might be better of taking PA for the pre-reqs, but leaving off.

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    It makes a difference when you have PL fighters and completionist. Otherwise you might be better of taking PA for the pre-reqs, but leaving off.
    Ahh, that makes sense. Just to check, which pre-reqs are you referring to? Ones within the build itself, or ones within Legendary Dreadnought?

Community Member

I love the basic premise of this build (all about speed of attacks) as a result I would like to borrow the idea and build a different* build but based around the Fatal Harrier speed boost.

Basically the tenets of the build are very similar but there are obviously significant differences: 12Ranger (Tempest) 7 Druid, 1 mnk.

I would like to build it as a Tempest II ranger, even as a Human though and going 12rng/7druid/1mnk I dont think its possible to fit in Whirling Steel Strike for longswords(+pre reqs) and Overwhelming Critical (+pre reqs) and Stunning Blow.

Does anyone think the required feats are doable in anyway or would it be better to build it for Khopeshes? (One less feat needed.)
    Last edited by CoasterHops; 03-08-2013 at 03:46 AM.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterHops View Post
    I love the basic premise of this build (all about speed of attacks) as a result I would like to borrow the idea and build a different* build but based around the Fatal Harrier speed boost.

Basically the tenets of the build are very similar but there are obviously significant differences: 12Ranger (Tempest) 7 Druid, 1 mnk.

I would like to build it as a Tempest II ranger, even as a Human though and going 12rng/7druid/1mnk I dont think its possible to fit in Whirling Steel Strike for longswords(+pre reqs) and Overwhelming Critical (+pre reqs) and Stunning Blow.
    If you're going for maximum attack speed, go with handwraps. They're about 11% faster than two-weapon fighting.
    My Trade List
    My build: The Jack of Fists, Monk 12 / Ranger 6 / Rogue 2, melee generalist
    My toon: Agthorr on Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snarglefrump View Post
    If you're going for maximum attack speed, go with handwraps. They're about 11% faster than two-weapon fighting.
    I understand that handwraps are about 11% faster but Tempest isn't meant to allow the additional 20% (to 100%) offhand procs when using handwraps. Also I believe Tempest I grants an innate 5% bonus to aatack speed that stacks with all other bonuses, so this goes someway to making up for it.

Also having only 2 levels of monk means 3.5(1d6) with Dance of Flowers (utilising reinforced fists and no monk past life) whereas if I'm swinging Oathblades we are talking 4.5(1d10) with a rapier threat range. Drow longswords would be 5(1d8) with the same threat range.

At the end of the day its a concept build, but of course some sort of stunning is really required to get the additional helpless damage, was looking at maybe a Alchemical - Adamantine Earth/Air/Water longsword. Gaining the 6% double strike from the Air Tier II, and the greater stone prison.

Theres always the option of a 6monk/6ranger/8druid build I guess lol........ Better with handwraps, could use shortswords (Im looking at you Celestias and Rebellions) and of course still has many shot for the insane Burst DPS, (Have a Pinion already) the best thing about a split like that is that dodge is a prereq for both tempest and ninja spy.... this is an option i guess lol.

Of course someone is likely going to tell me that Tempest I and II does grant the additional offhand handwrap procs then it is a no brainer, a monk past life will be necessary and wraps will be the primary weapon, until then I'm looking at other options hehe.
    Last edited by CoasterHops; 03-08-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Toons:

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterHops View Post

Does anyone think the required feats are doable in anyway or would it be better to build it for Khopeshes? (One less feat needed.)
    I run a Ranger12/Druid 7/Monk 1 build myself (totally different theme and style, but still), and Fatal Harrier just doesn't work for this style of melee build. I've dropped it and not missed it one bit. It doesn't work on a Ranger simply because they just don't have the ability to get the killing blows like what this Monk build does.
    The Theorybuild Author
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstronglord View Post
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

I did two barbarian past lives with a 12 barbarian/7 druid/1 rogue as a way to deal with the lack of self sufficiency of barbarian. My order was slightly different - 1 rogue, 1 barbarian, then all the druid to get access to the druid goodness in the levels it will actually help, then finish with barbarian.

I found it a lot of fun at the low levels - extremely self sufficient, but I also found that reaving roar was more useful in getting more kills On the downside - her healing ability was a little too light to make it really self sufficient at level 18 (this is with 3 pally past lives... and other healing amp enhancements).

As a whole, it was a very fun way to get through a barbarian past life, though mitwo would likely say it was a gimp.
    Shalera Dagen - Triple Completionist life 40 (+ ??? epic) - it is too hard to keep track of the epic lives...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arlathen View Post
    I run a Ranger12/Druid 7/Monk 1 build myself (totally different theme and style, but still), and Fatal Harrier just doesn't work for this style of melee build. I've dropped it and not missed it one bit. It doesn't work on a Ranger simply because they just don't have the ability to get the killing blows like what this Monk build does.
    I don't seem to have too many issues getting kills in my current Tempest Life - 12Ranger/6fighter/2mnk - Centred with dual Oathblades. Ideally the idea of the build is something that can tackle difficult solo content (when the kills are all yours) or to work cooperatively with others who know the builds tactics.
    Sometimes getting kills seems hard sometimes its easy, sometimes its all about how you run your toon.

The monk version has as advantages over the Ranger version - Stunning Fist which is superior to stunning blow, Touch of death, run speed, 5% more double strike (maybe) and maybe attk speed (does a monk have greater rate of attks than a Tempest II?)

The Tempests Advantages are - 100% offhand attacks which may cancel out monk attk speed, the ability to mix and match weapon sets, vastly superior Crit Rate 15 - 20 with Oathblades or Drow Longswords, Higher Crit Damage coupled with faster blitz charging (overwhelming crit + pre reqs), ranger sprint boost, ability to pile on fairly decent damage from a distance (manyshot)

Don't get me wrong I have my own very capable end game monk and I am a huge fan of monks and monk types, but in this instance I'm looking for something different to play, Tempests are like pretty much dead now so I'm looking for a reason to TR and continue to play one.
    Toons:

is this build stil viable? i was thinking of TRing into this after im done gearing my fighter ( i need 22 more comms )
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    Damn you forum folk...damn you all!!

Quote Originally Posted by zarthak View Post
    is this build stil viable? i was thinking of TRing into this after im done gearing my fighter ( i need 22 more comms )

Still viable? Of course it is - why wouldn't it be?
    (As for the comms, run The Druid's Deep chain a few times on casual - you'll get them in no time.)

how do you get a 40 wisdom tygara? and a 68 stun DC, i have all the right gear but im still wondering how.

edit: i got the 40 wis, i only have a 59 stun DC at lvl 22
    Last edited by zarthak; 03-24-2013 at 10:30 AM.

I like idea of that build. It looks lovely. Here is my next life version of that build. Advices most welcome.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Isioviel 
    Level 25 Lawful Neutral Human Female
    (12 Monk \ 1 Rogue \ 7 Druid \ 5 Epic) 
    Hit Points: 450
    Spell Points: 519 
    BAB: 14\14\19\24
    Fortitude: 17
    Reflex: 16
    Will: 22

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (36 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 25)
    Strength             16                    24
    Dexterity            14                    18
    Constitution         14                    18
    Intelligence          9                    12
    Wisdom               17                    28
    Charisma              8                    12

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
    +3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11
    +4 Tome of Strength used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Constitution used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Charisma used at level 15

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 25)
    Balance               6                    36
    Bluff                -1                     6
    Concentration         4                    34
    Diplomacy            -1                     6
    Disable Device        3                    24
    Haggle               -1                     6
    Heal                  3                    14
    Hide                  2                    13
    Intimidate           -1                     8
    Jump                  7                    25
    Listen                3                    14
    Move Silently         2                    13
    Open Lock             6                    13
    Perform              n/a                    n/a
    Repair               -1                     7
    Search                3                    23
    Spot                  3                    14
    Swim                  3                    12
    Tumble                6                    15
    Use Magic Device      3                    11

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Cleave
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Artificer
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Barbarian
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Bard
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Cleric
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Fighter
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Paladin
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Ranger
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Rogue
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 2 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Stunning Fist

Level 3 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Dodge
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness

Level 4 (Monk)
    Ability Raise: WIS
    Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Inevitable Dominion: Fists of Darkness

Level 5 (Monk)

Level 6 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 7 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Improved Sunder

Level 8 (Druid)

Level 9 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Past Life: Berserker's Fury

Level 10 (Monk)

Level 11 (Monk)

Level 12 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    Feat: (Druid Wild Shape) Wild Shape: Wolf

Level 13 (Druid)

Level 14 (Druid)

Level 15 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons
    Feat: (Druid Wild Shape) Wild Shape: Bear

Level 16 (Druid)
    Ability Raise: STR

Level 17 (Druid)

Level 18 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 19 (Monk)

Level 20 (Monk)
    Ability Raise: STR
    Enhancement: Druid Beastial Nature I
    Enhancement: Druid Fatal Harrier
    Enhancement: Druid Nature's Warrior I
    Enhancement: Druid Shifting Rake I
    Enhancement: Druid Shifting Rake II
    Enhancement: Druid Vengeful Hunter I
    Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Human Greater Adaptability Strength I
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery II
    Enhancement: Human Versatility I
    Enhancement: Human Versatility II
    Enhancement: Static Charge
    Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortoise I
    Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortoise II
    Enhancement: Touch of Death
    Enhancement: Porous Soul
    Enhancement: All-Consuming Flame
    Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery II
    Enhancement: Monk Ninja Spy I
    Enhancement: Monk Ninja Spy II
    Enhancement: Winter's Touch
    Enhancement: Adept of Wind
    Enhancement: Master of Thunder
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
    Enhancement: Improved Jump I
    Enhancement: Improved Jump II
    Enhancement: Improved Tumble I
    Enhancement: Improved Tumble II
    Enhancement: Druid Strength I
    Enhancement: Monk Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Monk Wisdom II
    Enhancement: Druid Toughness I
    Enhancement: Druid Toughness II
    Enhancement: Druid Toughness III

Level 21 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Vorpal Strikes

Level 22 (Monk)

Level 23 (Monk)

Level 24 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Improved Martial Arts

Level 25 (Monk)
    >>Officer of the DDOpl Guild<<>>Cannith<<
    Isioviel Jr'eness 17th: 9drd/9mnk/2ftr - the Completionist
    Finghin Al'Roeg 3rd life 16wiz/2mnk/2fvs .......Seljuck 3rd life 20pal

Community Member

Me gusta :d
    dragblood-khyber

Community Member

Default Well now.

This build is going to get very, very interesting when the enhancement update passes.

I'm thinking either 18 monk / 3 druid or 15 monk / 2 fighter / 3 druid. Both halfling.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast