Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

I usually like to fill in some xp with challenges when cant find a group. Level 14-15 is such terrible levels.. I wish I could skip them.

I tried some runs this morning was getting 2000 xp in buying time and I still had a 20% xp pot running. I was level 14 and did level 15 buying time.

This is pretty depressing!
    Last edited by Musashiclaw; 12-08-2012 at 06:39 AM.
    Fist and Faith
    Musashi DragonClaw
    Thelanis Warclaws, DragonClaws, MusashiCLAW, Warsclaw
    www.C-L-A-W.org

Yeah they really dropped the ball when they 'adjusted' the challenge xps.

I used to run them on my TRs when I got bored. Kill some time, collect some xps, collect some ingredients... now I don't even bother.

It's pretty sad when slayer xps seem better than the challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    ...The biggest disappointment is that we don't know the guidelines or direction the game is headed in the developer minds so we don't have any insight into what is balanced or not when it comes to shadier issues....
    It's headed in a general... that way direction, per Jack Sparrow.

Direction and vision come from leadership, which appears to be in a general state of disarray right now. Game feels schizophrenic as to what it wants to be right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    People who are saying the challenge Xp was perfectly fine were perfectly fine with leveling through the last 3 levels running 2 challenges, then running the same 2 on epic to level through destinies. This needed to be nerfed.

Now before the nerd rage takes full effect please read further.

The real issue here isnt that they had to nerf a specific easy button, as we all understood this was coming. The issue is instead of evaluating the needs for each quest individually and adjusting accordingly, the quests with the highest xp/min were nuked from orbit, and the issue hasnt been revisited since.

This needs to be revisited with a more fine toothed comb and rebalanced to the expectation of what other quests in those level ranges will give per minute.
    Oh ****, I agree with Chai :O

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    Oh ****, I agree with Chai :O
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Once again turbine disappoints. One more negative to add to a growing list.

Community Member

seems they lowered them even more.
    Ran Buying time on my level 20 at level 20 and got 100 wings and like 1.5k xp used to get 4-5k xp and 125-150 wings

Very frustrating.
    Fist and Faith
    Musashi DragonClaw
    Thelanis Warclaws, DragonClaws, MusashiCLAW, Warsclaw
    www.C-L-A-W.org

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Not once it's been smashed into pieces for being obnoxious one to many times.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    I have never really run the challenges for XP. I run them for fun, to increase my previous score, and to earn ingredients. The XP is kind of a bonus. So I don't consider the challenges a waste. There are a lot of quests in the game I run just for fun. I hate grinding high XP/min quests over and over. That is not fun to me. Playing through quests I haven't done in a while is a lot more interesting. Challenges have that added difficulty layer of being timed and having scores tied to your success, which makes them feel a little like arcade games, which I heartily enjoy.
    agree, run for fun, xp is bonus, enjoy
    We are all lost travelers, on a journey to find that which we do not know, but it is not a prize we seek, but the road that must be taken, it is that inside us that drives us forward into the unknown.

I just ran one of the Dr Rushmore quests at level (12). 28 minutes and I earned 5k exp. Awefull. This needs to be looked at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    No, although VIP players do get free Gold rolls on Daily Dice, so that might fit into your criteria. But when it comes to chest drops, chain rewards, general Daily Dice rolls (what number you get), etc., VIP does not confer additional "luck".

I never ran any challenges until just recently. And the only reason I was running them at all was for epic challenge mats to turn into epic tokens for a TR. Honestly, I didn't even notice the exp at all.

Ran TIM since that's what everyone says is the easiest challenge for farming. Was pulling 100 or so mats on a terrible run, and around 200 on a good run. 5-6 minutes tops.

Not having any prior exposure to challenges, this seemed reasonable to me. Although I will agree that the stretch between 18-20 is fairly horrendous.

Quest difficulty and time spent need to be reflected in the rewards. As someone said earlier: each quest needs to be evaluated on an individual basis. Not with blanket nerfs/buffs.
    What might we accomplish, if we never feared defeat?

before they nurfed the challenges they where barley worth while to run and now there not worth even thinking about. there a complete and utter waste of time as they are now. great sales tactics put out a decent challenge pack and let everyone talk about how there worth doing then when they start to turn main stream nurf them so there totally worthless and make everyone regret we ever payed for them.
    Vertabreaker On Steam
    Vertabreaker's Power Hungry Quest TR 29 Of 40
    Encourage Self Sufficiency
    Power Gamer - Meta Gamer Since 1985

These had great loot and were abused for XP. So instead of Turbine's efforts being focused on adjusting the ingredients payout so that capped characters can still make base items, they nerfed, un-nerfed and re-nerfed them to cater for the 'always looking for exploits/shortcuts after each new release' crowd.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    These had great loot and were abused for XP. So instead of Turbine's efforts being focused on adjusting the ingredients payout so that capped characters can still make base items, they nerfed, un-nerfed and re-nerfed them to cater for the 'always looking for exploits/shortcuts after each new release' crowd.
    I have to say that the inability for 20+ characters to grind a reasonable number of mats for the base item is one of the newest complaints I have with the House C Challenges.

First, the House C Challenges were way overpriced (and still are). Second, not every melee style weapon, much less every type of weapon) was included in this most expensive pack in the game. Third, the challenges were presented, before being unveiled, as fast and solo-friendly, but we got very anti-solo non-melee stuff that ranged from a few minutes to complete to the very long (and unable to exit) 45+ minute Rushmore challenges. Fourth, we got the multiple nerfings of both XP and Mats since it's been released. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some other stuff, besides the missing Wand Bracelet.

Now with the cap raised to 25, the base Epic item must have the mats farmed for before level 21 or else you start getting a heavy penalty. If you're over level 20, it would be nice if players had the option of trading either the heroic mats or the Epic mats for the base Epic items.

Now granted, the one thing that the House C Challenges got right (after players complained about it) was the BTA mats. That's one of three things that the House C Challenges: the other two are the ability to farm Epic Tokens and not having random items as rewards (being BTC makes it even worse).

-- I don't mean to go completely off topic here, but the Eveningstar random melee loot would have been more sought after if one of the random tiers included a random Slayer effect similar to the Ancient Vulkoorim Dagger. Yu might have traded in the mats for a horrible weapon, but it might be useful against that particular type or subtype trash.

Quote Originally Posted by cidchronic View Post
    agree, run for fun, xp is bonus, enjoy
    Having a pack with 30 crests in it and faced with a door wanting 3 wolf crests when you have exactly zero on you isn't a situation I personally consider fun...having that situation recur about 1/4 runs even less so. Now if the pile of skeleton keys could be used more than once so that good runs could be salvaged in a pinch, well, that would be more fun to me. (using dropped keys).

Personally, I would love to see the first time bonus applied once at every difficult level. This would make challenges a fun leveling tool.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    I have to say that the inability for 20+ characters to grind a reasonable number of mats for the base item is one of the newest complaints I have with the House C Challenges.
    I don't understand what you mean by the statement above. L20 characters can grind enough mats for any base item in about 2 hours.

See this post for more details.

Or are you saying the mat return is decreased when you run the challenges over level? I still don't see that as a significant problem with anyone who has more than one character since the mats and items are BTA. Simply running the challenges before level 21 also takes care of that problem.
    Last edited by Postumus; 01-11-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by the statement above. L20 characters can grind enough mats for any base item in about 2 hours.
    For someone that has all their toons capped at 25, they will receive so few mats per run that it could take months to create one item due to overlevel mat penalties. Level 20 toons have no issue, but if you're stuck with only 25's to run with, you simply can't make base items. I'm pretty sure that's the point that is trying to be made. You can't "de-level" your toon to 20 in order to run challenges. Your only option may be to TR and hit them at an appropriate level range your next time through. That's not considered to be an acceptable workaround for most people, I'm guessing.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 01-11-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Carkolda View Post
    Shouldn't this testing have been one before they changed the XP levels?
    Lol!

Exactly. Downgrading the XP probably took them going in and flicking a "switch". Downgrading it the second time was probably even faster.

But fixing it the "right" way takes months....

And, NOW they're worried about testing it?

Turbine: I think I speak for (most) of the players when I say to you...
    Flip the switch back to the closest middle ground you can find soon.. Getting a little extra XP in a few of the challenges isn't going to make nearly as many people upset as not doing anything for months..
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    For someone that has all their toons capped at 25, they will receive so few mats per run that it could take months to create one item due to overlevel mat penalties. I'm pretty sure that's the point that is trying to be made.
    I believe you're right on the money.
    Which this particular problem could be easily fixed by allowing an epic material turn in for regular materials. The barter mechanic is already in place for these.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast