Thread: What is RP?

Community Member

Default What is RP?

Hello all.

Ive never done PnP btw

What is Role Playing?

or more accurately, how is RP done in DDO?

I dont know if Id like to RP as I dont know anything about it.

Any insight is appreciated

Thankyou

Basically, creating a persona for your character and play acting within that character.

DDO is not a format conductive to roleplaying.

It is not done on a large scale.

There are guilds dedicated to varying degrees to roleplaying.

You probably want to look there.
    Unfamiliar with DDO's combat mechanics? Check here and here.

Kargon was the Ultimate DDO Roleplayer. In all his posts I don't think he ever broke character.
    "Funny 'Ha-Ha, or Funny 'Uh-oh...'?
    Probably Funny 'Uh-Oh.'"
    Khyber - Mesaana, Samaeila Suncrusher

In PnP Roleplaying may involve any of the following:
    Creating a character with a persona that ties into a backstory that may tie into the DM's campaign setting.
    Voice acting your character.
    Not using player knowledge/not meta-gaming.
    Making in-game decisions based on how the character thinks (rather than how you think)
    Discussing with other PCs or NPCs in character.
    Dressing up as your character.
    Doing other fun stuff that people may find "nerdy" or "dorky" but is in actuality awesome.

No idea what it involves in DDO though. I'm guessing using the mic to voice act and follow the story of the quests while questing may be involved. It would be interesting to try. But the roleplayers are (outside of RP-guilds) few and far in between and AFAIK hostile to newcomers (for good reasons too, or so I heard).
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

It's a good thing I don't RP then, cos I'd jump in the blue stuff in the LoB raid
    "May the flamin' force be with you!"

Community Member

its a little like being an actor, you just pretend you are your character then act accordingly.

so the main part is talking in character. for example my dwarves like to complain about how all the female dwarves in the city are all clean shaven. there is no way i'd want to snog a bearded woman in real life, but its tons of fun pretending my dwarves do.

now, just like there are tons of different ways to run quests, from flower sniffing to zerging, so too there are tons of different ways to role play. some like to be serious and weave intricate stories with their characters, others like to mess about with a bit of friendly banter for the giggles.

check out thelanis thursdays, there is normally a RP party up. send them a tell saying you're new to RP but would like to give it a go and i'm sure they will show you the ropes. there isnt a lot to it, speaking out of character normally has some way to flag it as out of character, or OOC for short. the common one is double brackets. there is also a common way to emote mid sentence, often the asterix.

so, here's a little example of what the chat screen might look like:

elf: this wine is fantastic!
    dwarf: doesnt look natural to me
    elf: oh come now, try some, it doesnt bite!
    dwarf: ((gah, afk, door))
    elf: huh, he seems to be terrified of a little wine
    dwarf: ((bk, sorry about that))
    dwarf: hah! i aint afraid of your silly drink, here *takes a big swig*
    dwarf: *spits it out again* bleagh! it tastes disgusting!

very cliche but it's as simple as that.

there is also some etiquette to pick up on. its normally frowned on to force other characters to do things

eg:
    dwarf: *the dwarf stabs the elf in the face and the elf falls down dead*

is really bad but

dwarf: *the dwarf lunges at the elf with a stab to the face*

is a bit better as the elf then gets to decide if they actually want to be hit or not, and if they do let them selves get hit how serious the wound was.

kinda an extreme example but the key is to let people control their own characters, you can do any action you want, but its rude to dictate how they will react to your action.

also try not to be confrontational when you first start to RP. pick a friendly character to learn the ropes with. then later when you know the others a bit more you can play with a more confrontational character. when you are RPing with people for the first time it can sometimes be hard to tell if its you or the character being irritating.

oh and you dont need to speake in yea olde tongue to RP. sometimes its fun to talk a little differently, but its not mandatory and almost any accent goes.

thelanis thursdays normally sticks to RPing in the tavern, which is a good place to learn. but you can RP in quests too, being fast at typing can be a real boon for that but not essential. just remember to think how your character would react to a situation. normally its assumed your character hasnt run the same quest 100 times already.

oh and RP can be in chat or in voice. chat is probably easier to start with and i know thelanis thursdays are chat based.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    In PnP Roleplaying may involve any of the following:
    Creating a character with a persona that ties into a backstory that may tie into the DM's campaign setting.
    Voice acting your character.
    Not using player knowledge/not meta-gaming.
    Making in-game decisions based on how the character thinks (rather than how you think)
    Discussing with other PCs or NPCs in character.
    Dressing up as your character.
    Doing other fun stuff that people may find "nerdy" or "dorky" but is in actuality awesome.

No idea what it involves in DDO though. I'm guessing using the mic to voice act and follow the story of the quests while questing may be involved. It would be interesting to try. But the roleplayers are (outside of RP-guilds) few and far in between and AFAIK hostile to newcomers (for good reasons too, or so I heard).
    i dont buy the hostile to newcomers thing. the few time's i've been awake at the right time to join in on thelanis thursdays (i'm in the EU timezone) they have been very friendly and welcoming, once they were sure i knew we'd be role playing and not zerging through a dungeon. they even put up with my shenanigan for a good few hours!

good concise list of RPing though, not all applies to DDO but it is a good summary of what RP is. well, compared to my wall of waffle any way
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Default What is RP?

Only the greatest WWF Wrestler of all times, geeze.

Community Member

Ah, roleplayers. Whenever I PUG, and we get a roleplayer, I'm thrilled. They're so much fun!

It's only happened like 5 times in all my 3 years of playing, but totally awesome.

Anyway, Thelanis is the "RP" server, I believe we have the most RPers out there, but recently they've been kinda crappy in that all their LFMs come with "RP, Know how to do it" in them... which totally sucks the fun out of being a newbie and trying it out.

Anyway, that didn't help at all. Have fun though! The key is going with it! (I've only RP'd on PnP, so not the best giver of advice. Adviser... there was a word for that!)

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

While I do enjoy pen and paper role playing, I think the MMO format is a difficult (though not impossible by any means!) venue for it. There are only so many new things I can think to say about doing the same situation, again, even as a different class with a different group. I'ts a fun, creative, social activity that most people have engaged in at one time or another, even if they don't realize it. Playing cops and robbers as a child, using gi joe figures or my little ponies to act out stories you voice, those are all forms of it. Tabletop is just a more formal setting with clearly defined rules, mostly to avoid the "I shot you!" "No you missed!" fights of our childhoods.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!