Default crossbow attack speeds still broken

yep, they broke as artificers and update 10 was put in. they are still broken. for all kinds of crossbows, repeaters, normal, great. light and heavy.

here are speeds on lammania, now.
    Feats include weapon proficiency as needed, point blank shot and rapidshot.

for the record, there is no visible speed difference between heavy and light repeaters
    there is also no speed difference between normal light and heavy crossbow
    there is also no difference if character class is rogue or fighter. (i would suppose BAB should increase attack speed somehow?)

well, anyway. we have attacks/minute. based on bolts spent during that 60 seconds. first number is for holding attack button down and second is by timing it yourself.

without rapid reload, speed for crossbow is:
    35/45

with rapid reload:
    crossbow 45/55
    repeater 34/43 (yes, repeater bolt count used was divided by 3)

in all cases, error margin between holding attack pressed and clicking it with better timing is around 25%

the relative difference between them isn't seemingly affected by Rapid reload feat or character class or crossbow type.

the errors also are visible and attainable in live since that update 10 but for some weird reason, they are pretty much half of what they are here on lammania.

amount of people affected by this: anyone who uses anything crossbow based. you are missing 13 (live) to 28% (lammania) of your attacks, each minute!! they are not happening.
    Amazing, they actually managed to fix forum account post count and stuff without me bug reporting it!
    O.o there is hope out there yet!

Community Member

First of all, small point, but artificers were released with update 11. update 10 was the reign of madness. Anyway, the only information I can get out of your post is that rapid reload is increasing the attacks per minute of a crossbow by about 20%, which is what the feat says it does. If there is some other point to this thread, I can't find it as written, so you may want to clarify it somewhat.

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Hmm. Seemed the same to me while I was over on Lamannia today. I don't really know what you're referring to.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

to sum it up. if you attack "normally" thus keeping the attack button down, you shoot the first number of shots/minute.
    if you press attack button for only a short time and release it between each attack, you get the second number of shots/minute.

keeping the attack button pressed introduces unexplainable 0.2 to 0.3 second delay between EACH attack. (it's 0.2 in live)
    Yes, said delay is visible if you look for it in attack animation.

and yes, i guess i messed up the artificer update, 11 it is then. still a long time ago and this has been here since that time.

or.. in other words.

you can shoot 35 shots/minute with crossbow without rapid shot
    you can shoot 45 shots/minute with crossbow without rapid shot IF you click manually.
    you can shoot 45 shots/minute with crossbow with rapid shot
    you can shoot 55 shots/minute with crossbow with rapid shot IF you click manually.

so, basically, lot of clicking equals extra "free" rapid shot feat that stacks with rapidshot feat.

my point is, that there should be no difference between clicking yourself or holding button down. or should there be such?
    Last edited by little_me; 08-15-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    Amazing, they actually managed to fix forum account post count and stuff without me bug reporting it!

Community Member

I see what you are getting at now. Actually this isn't just relegated to crossbows and repeaters. I know it also happens with regular bows, and my assumption is that it has to do with the 2 "phases" of an attack that ranged weapons have. A ranged weapon has the actual "attack" as well as the "reload" animation, which are on separate timers. From what I have been able to figure out, clicking manually to attack bypasses some of the reload animation.

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    . From what I have been able to figure out, clicking manually to attack bypasses some of the reload animation.
    i have to disagree with that. i mean, holding attack button pressed you can SEE the delay.yes, it exists after the reload animation, clicking manually does not bypass some of the reload animation. if you click too early, you just wont shoot at all since you have not finished reloading.

Community Member

Yes it has been broken since the relaease of artificers, but it seems the devs don't really care about it anymore (druids are the new best selling class now after all). If we complain enough, they might reduce the manually clicked attack speed to match auto attack though.

Community Member DeafeningWhisper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    Yes it has been broken since the relaease of artificers, but it seems the devs don't really care about it anymore (druids are the new best selling class now after all). If we complain enough, they might reduce the manually clicked attack speed to match auto attack though.
    Sad, but probably true.
    "Pike or do not. There is no lag."

Community Member

This thread is a little old. I stumbled upon it while trying to google about this issue when I discovered it today.

I discovered that if you are holding down the attack button, and you tap some invalid hotkey ability while it reloads (I've been using Sunder), then it will also remove the "aiming" delay you guys mentioned. Tapping a hotkey while the bow reloads is much easier than trying to time the clicks. I'd guess you get about .25 less delay between rounds. I tried it using a Heavy Repeater. I feel like I've been in slow motion this whole time. haha