Community Member

Default Help for Best Ranged Build

So I always thought it would be neat to range everything in mmorpg games. Accordingly i try to make an AA elf build. currently I'm at lvl 14 and its not going so well. My ranged damage is decent, but nothing too great. My hp is 250 roughly, which personally i think sucks as my pally has 1400+. Most of my gear is bad i will say, lootgen, except for black dragon-hide armor. I'm curious if as I lvl up and get better gear will my ranger have better dps/hp, or should I just re-roll him. If i do re-roll him wondering what build I should have done to make i good ranged character with evasion/hp/dps. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by conquerkill54; 08-14-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Reroll or raise him to 20 and TR into one of these:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=361322

Great ranged builds - they use a combination of manyshot / 10k stars / endless fusilade / unarmed. Most are monk/ranger/artificer or fighter/monk/arti. Good luck.
    Levistis, Orcys, and Thirzax of the Dragon Blood Cult of Maguuma, GW2.

Community Member krackythehoodedone's Avatar

Top builds atm are your Artificer with repeating Xbow.
    Monkcher types using Zen archery and 10k stars.
    Helves Angel DPS burst builld
    and finally just a good old straight 20th AA ranger built and played right is perfectly ok

Watch out for new enhancements pass, everything may change especially if crit rage comes back with the same effect on ranged as it did before.

Many folks are holding off on new builds

Community Member

thx for the advice I have a much better idea of what I'm looking for in a ranged build. comparing my char to others helps a lot.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

A pure 20 Ranger AA is perfectly fine once well geared, and well played. No you won't be topping the DPS charts, and np you won't have the highest HP around but it's so bad. My main, is a 28 point elf Ranger AA who stared out with 13 con. She now has 500 standing, almost 600 raid buffed, and once I finish my conc-op cloak will have close to 1000 SP.
    She can get 40+ str, 36 Dex, and is a serious pain in the ass to kill.

In fact I've saved plenty of wipes in raids/epics because I can instantly switch form Melee to Ranged and really crank some DPS out with Manyshot.

Not if you want more DPS on a ranged build, some variation of a 10K stars build is needed, generally a 12/6/2 split of some sort. I personally like 12Ranger/6Monk/2fight, or 12Monk/6Ranger/2fighter. Both have great DPS, great HP/SP, and pretty much the best survivability besides a pure ranger on a ranged build.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

Having the "best" ranged build as you put it would, as with most things, require a lot of grinding for loot and I personally don't enjoy that. You might, and if that's the case, then I'd suggest looking at the builds that krackythehoodedone mentioned.

I have no knowledge whatsoever regarding monks of any sort, but aside from that, here are a few options off the top of my head:
    1. Artificer is an obvious choice. Can't go wrong here.
    2. Pure vanilla 20 ranger with Arcane Archer. May or not be elf. Can't really go wrong here. The main draw here is the capstone, which increases ranged attack speed by 25%; however, it doesn't stack with ToD sets.
    3. Arcane Archer Healer. I have a character that's 17 cleric/2 ranger/1 wizard. The main thing that this build has going for it is that it can still heal well and DPS well. However, unlike evoker clerics, SP is used almost strictly for healing and not damaging spells, and unlike melee clerics, it deals damage at a safe range.
    4. Rogue repeater user. I'm thinking about TR'ing one my characters into this. Main damage comes from sneak attack, so some people, such as myself, will opt to splash 6 ranger for deepwood sniper.
    5. Pure vanilla 20 fighter with Arcane Archer. Must be elf in order to qualify for Arcane Archer. The main draw here is the capstone, which increases ranged attack speed by 10%; however, it doesn't stack with ToD sets.

Regardless of your build, I'd recommend these bracers for any ranged build: http://ddowiki.com/page/Wind_Howler_Bracers

Community Member

I used to have a 20 ranger elf AA.
    In the current incarnation I have a 12 monk/6 ranger/2 fighter half elf build.

It's pretty fun to play but as with any build you have to grind out TR's and gear to make it effective.
    Last edited by maximus123123; 08-20-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Community Member

If more hit points is what you're after, you could give this build a try.

12 ranger/6 monk/2 fighter Half elf cleric dilettante.
    Take the half elf's wisdom enhancement for one extra point of wisdom.

You won't need dexterity for this build since ranger level 12 gets all the ranged feats like improved precise shot regardless of the prerequisite dex (also gives Greater Two Weapon Fighting without meeting dex requirements).

Level 11 ranger gives all the following feats free and regardless of prerequisites met like dexterity minimums:
    Bow Strength
    Rapid Shot
    Two Weapon Fighting
    Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    Manyshot
    Precise Shot
    Improved Precise Shot

You also won't need dex for to hit since Zen Archery allows you to use your wisdom instead of dex for to hit.

Max out wisdom and put the remainder into strength and constitution ignoring dex completely (raise it with items, enhancements, and tomes).

fighter feat: Point blank shot
    fighter feat: Improved critical ranged

monk feat: Zen Archery
    monk feat: Stunning Fist
    monk free feat: Toughness

Toughness
    Toughness
    Toughness
    Toughness
    Weapon focus ranged
    Mental Toughness
    Improved critical bludgeon

level 21 Epic Toughness (if you have 21 constitution; 18 starting con and a +3 tome)
    level 24 Improved Martial Arts

That should give a lot of HP and pretty decent ranged and melee capabilities. High wisdom means stunning fist will be useful.
    Be sure to take the monk's Ten Thousand Stars enhancement for a manyshot like capability that uses your wisdom to determine number of extra arrows per shot (from 0-3 based on wisdom). It lasts 30 seconds and has a one minute cooldown. Also, put all five of your level up ability points into Wisdom. The highest possible wisdom is the goal on this build which with the right gear should see hit points at around 800+ or so end game.

Of course without a very high dex, your evasion would suffer but you can still power that up with item enhancements like resistance which you can get with +6 with the spider spun caparison outfits.

This is actually a take on my build but I have far fewer hit points because I prefer the benefits I get from 12 monk (my current build being 12 monk/6 ranger/2 fighter).
    Last edited by maximus123123; 08-22-2012 at 01:33 PM.