Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by koskh80 View Post
    And can you give us Mac users a walkthrough to solve the problem?

Community Member

The following walkthrough is for those playing DDO using Wineskin.
    1. Download the newest version of the Wine source code (http://www.winehq.org/)
    2. Decompress it.
    3. Patch the source code! (http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cg...s=1&format=raw)
    4. Build a custom wine engine with Wineskin winery using the patched Wine source code
    5. Update the Wine engine in your DDO wrapper
    6. Start DDO.

And you will see that the game does not crash and you can play the game again.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by caranfang View Post
    2. Decompress it.
    3. Patch the source code! (http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cg...s=1&format=raw)
    4. Build a custom wine engine with Wineskin winery using the patched Wine source code
    6. Start DDO.

Um...what?? :P

Crossover user here....is there a way to do this using CO?

Community Member

That link seems to be pointing to the linux page, I didn't seen any mac version on winehq, but I might be being newbish.

Has anyone gotten this to work in U16? My crossover trial expired, and I would like to know it is possible before I make another try at it.
    The Silver Legion - Guild Medieval
    Arisan - Arisanna - Arisanto - Arisgard - Betatest
    Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus1000 View Post
    That link seems to be pointing to the linux page, I didn't seen any mac version on winehq, but I might be being newbish.

Has anyone gotten this to work in U16? My crossover trial expired, and I would like to know it is possible before I make another try at it.
    I dont have mac, and don't know much abaut it... but did you look at this link?

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/

There is some info about building wine from git, right now ddo patch was added to git so it shouldn't be even needed patching just building it from source.

Since ddo patch was added to git next binary version off wine should work fine without any problems, so in some time we won't be needing to compile anything, just to grab the newest wine.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by lynzriches View Post
    Um...what?? :P

Crossover user here....is there a way to do this using CO?
    Is there a way to update the Wine engine?

You only need the source code from this page and Wineskin winery, which is a Mac program.

I used the Wrapper found here (http://portingteam.com/files/file/71...-free-to-play/), downloaded Wineskin winery (http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tik...Downloads)(you need this to be able to update both the wrapper and the Wine engine). I've updated both the Wrapper and the Wine engine, but I used the custom build engine described above.
    2. Decompress it.
    6. Start DDO.

Applying the patch is quite simple:
    1. Go to the folder into which you have unpacked the wine source.
    2. Open dlls/user32/winpos.c
    3. Replace
    Code:
    BOOL WINAPI ScreenToClient( HWND hwnd, LPPOINT lppnt )
     {
         MapWindowPoints( 0, hwnd, lppnt, 1 );
         return TRUE;
    }
    with
    Code:
    BOOL WINAPI ScreenToClient( HWND hwnd, LPPOINT lppnt )
    {
     	DWORD old_err = GetLastError();
    	BOOL ret;

SetLastError(0xd00d13);
    	ret = MapWindowPoints( 0, hwnd, lppnt, 1 ) != 0 ||
    		  GetLastError() != 0xd00d13;
    	SetLastError(old_err);

return ret;
    }
    at line 251.
    4. Save the changes.

Good news, i have ddo back to a working state on my mac.

I tried several ways, but couldn't get the patch to work with my port install.
    I upgraded to mountain lion while i had some spare time from not playing ddo to, so i'll update post 2 of this thread soon.

The way i fixed it is the following:

remove the wine and wine tricks you installed via port in terminal:

sudo port -fp uninstall installed

Go to the port website and download the latest port for your osx version and install it from the pkg file.

Then reinstall wine and wine tricks as described in the first post but instead of the regular wine install the development version.

sudo port install wine-devel

This latest dev version includes the bug fix, so if all is good you should be back in ddo like me.

Updated post 3 in this thread with details for installation on mountain lion.

All is running smooth, with the odd graphics freeze, but we can't have everything (at least not until the official mac viewer comes available).

Quote Originally Posted by Virgonian View Post
    Updated post 3 in this thread with details for installation on mountain lion.

All is running smooth, with the odd graphics freeze, but we can't have everything (at least not until the official mac viewer comes available).
    Lucky you! Unfortunately I'm stuck in another problem, can install Winetricks but can't install anything with it.

Here is the link for pylotro.exe: http://www.mcgillsociety.org/PyLotRO/pylotro-setup.exe

Quote Originally Posted by BBuk80 View Post
    Lucky you! Unfortunately I'm stuck in another problem, can install Winetricks but can't install anything with it.

Here is the link for pylotro.exe: http://www.mcgillsociety.org/PyLotRO/pylotro-setup.exe
    Odd, can you start up the wintetricks and get to the install tab where you tick programs to install?

Do you get any error message and are you using an admin account?

Thanks for the link :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Virgonian View Post
    Odd, can you start up the wintetricks and get to the install tab where you tick programs to install?

Do you get any error message and are you using an admin account?

Thanks for the link :-)
    Nope, i can run some commands relative to winetricks in terminal (i.e. "winetrichs which" , or "winetricks -help"), but can't install anything through it... i get nothing (not even error messages) using the "winetricks" command to open the installation tab (was working with the previous version) and nothing again with specific install commands in terminal... very odd indeed^^

Hi OP, Im having a bit of trouble too:

MBP 13; followed instructions so got the needed apps, got wine-devel & wine tricks & start up winetricks to get the following message in terminal:

[code=]/opt/local/bin/winetricks: line 2477: /tmp/w.Adam.34599/metadata//*.vars: No such file or directory[/code]

winetricks loads into a "what do you want to install" page (same as when you choose from the win tricks menu to load in dll's) but there is nothing to select.

You can exit from initial screen to the menu; choose to select windows dll's etc & you get the initial screen, now with all the options you want & can be selected. choose dx9 etc click ok & nothing happens (just exits to option screen, no download/install)

Any ideas?

Terminal window after loading winetricks and trying to load in d3dx9:
    Last edited by voxson5; 12-09-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    - Proud co-founder of the Dragonspire Legion -
    Souldout (Completionist Life 2), Diamese(TR), Darkfey, Darkwai(TR), Darkriff, Shayris, Shayrn, Tekron, & more semi-retired mules

I'm no expert, but it looks like a permissions problem.
    Is the account you're using an admin account?

You could also try to run winetricks with sudo.

sudo winetricks

With the latest version of winetricks i also land in a sub menu at start. Press cancel to go back and then select install dll's

I got this working today after about 5 hours. It was a slog, but the game is running. It's too late to play right now, so I'll report more on that later.

I installed via macports, but rather than build and patch a copy of Wine for the u16 fix, I elected to install the wine-devel package, which is wine version 1.5.19 (and thus doesn't need the patches, because they've been merged in to that version). It was a bit of a nightmare, it would seem that since wine is x86 only, many of the dependencies for wine must be installed using the +universal tag, and installing wine itself using the +universal argument wasn't enough (not sure why, maybe the dependencies are built x64 automatically, even when +universal is given for the wine install?)

Basically, I ran:
    sudo port -d install wine-devel +universal
    over and over again.
    It would hang inevitably, and I would look through the output to see what it hung on and then build that particular port with the same command:
    sudo port -d install <dependency port name> +universal
    Off the top of my head, I recall that mesa, gtk2, atk, libxml, and at least 3 or 4 other wine dependencies failed and needed to be built this way.
    Eventually wine completed its installation and I was able to get winetricks installed with no issue.

I stumbled on the same issue that Voxson5 did, regarding winetricks not having the option to install d3d9x or vcrun2003, 5, 8. From my linux days, I recalled that you didn't need the gui to install a winetrick script, you can just type:

winetricks <scriptname>

so I did:
    winetricks d3d9x
    winetricks vcrun2003
    winetricks vcrun2005
    winetricks vcrun2008

all of them returned a message on the commandline indicating that the particular winetrick was already installed.

So I moved on to pylotro install and config and everything worked fine.

So it was a nightmare in terms ouf figuring out what the hell was going wrong with the macports build of wine, but in the end it was a pretty simple recipe. Build with macports, using the -d and +universal options. Wait for it to hang, scroll back through the command line output to see which dependency failed, install that specific dependency with the -d and +universal options. rinse, repeat until wine is installed. Check the winetricks scripts from the command line, and follow the rest of the OP instructions. I was even able to patch to the latest version without an issue.

worth noting:
    Once or twice trying to build a dependency with -d +universal failed. Pretty sure it happened on gtk2, twice. I just crossed my fingers and ran it again, and it finished the second time. Pretty sure it happened for mesa, as well. And I think at least once, I had a nested dependency fail. IE) wine need package a compiled universal, package a needs package b compiled universal. wine failed on package a, so I installed package a. Package a failed on package b, so I installed package b. Then package a finished, then wine finished (or at least, wine install continued on to the next failure, at which point I just did the same output check and +universal install of the offending dependency).

Hope this helps. I'm headed to bed, as I'm completely shot.

It seems that while I'm able to log in, get the character select screen and modify graphics options, I have some issues.

I'm not able to set the resolution in full screen mode via the interface, something seems to be up there (Maybe with xQuartz and switching modes/resiolutions?). Not big deal, I edited the userpreferences.ini file to specify that the game starts in the largest full screen resolution possible and it works as expected. I was able to make changes to graphics settings, and set all the setings to ultra high, 4x fsaa, etc... It works fine on the character select screen, with the exception that multipass lighting causes some very ugly shadow effects. I'll play with it off, no big deal. However, When I actually click on my character to start playing, I go to the load screen but the bar never progresses and the game just sits there. I waited 5 minutes, which should be enough to at least start loading, with no change. I'll try again with lower graphics settings, and perhaps in windowed mode to report my findings.

If anyone has had this issue, please feel free to respond with some help.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SenorPhatnutZ View Post
    It seems that while I'm able to log in, get the character select screen and modify graphics options, I have some issues.

I'm not able to set the resolution in full screen mode via the interface, something seems to be up there (Maybe with xQuartz and switching modes/resiolutions?). Not big deal, I edited the userpreferences.ini file to specify that the game starts in the largest full screen resolution possible and it works as expected. I was able to make changes to graphics settings, and set all the setings to ultra high, 4x fsaa, etc... It works fine on the character select screen, with the exception that multipass lighting causes some very ugly shadow effects. I'll play with it off, no big deal. However, When I actually click on my character to start playing, I go to the load screen but the bar never progresses and the game just sits there. I waited 5 minutes, which should be enough to at least start loading, with no change. I'll try again with lower graphics settings, and perhaps in windowed mode to report my findings.

If anyone has had this issue, please feel free to respond with some help.

Thanks!
    It was little snitch, blocking wine from communicating and I wasn't seeing the pop up to allow the traffic. I went in to the little snitch config, and allowed wine to communicate to any server on port 80 and 443, and its working wit no issues in ful screen and windowed mode.

anyone else have a problem with the keymap file resetting every time you log in? It's tedious to have to re-set my keys every time I log in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123