Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DDO on a mac - OSX

I used to run DDO on my old macbook pro with parallels and windows xp, but that laptop died suddenly and i had to get a new one.

Of course this new mac came with the latest OSX, Lion. And since the only reason to run parallells and windows was down to DDO i deceided to try and get things running without installing windows at all.

It took a bit or research, some more time and a lot of stubborness, but i got things running in the end.

To help all those that like to run DDO on their mac, i have written down what i did to make it happen.

Feel free to append with usefull tips.

Here goes:

Default DDO on mac with wine

DDO on mac with wine

Used system: Macbook pro 15 mid 2012 - osx lion 10.7.4 - Xcode 4.3.3

I used osx lion, the procedure for older osx will be different on certain parts.

First things first:
    - DDO is not supported on osx, so anything you do is at your own risk. Getting into terminal and do wrong things can wreck your os or worse, so beware. (Disclaimer, if you mess up your os, burn your mac, set fire to your house or cause a nuclear disaster, don't blame me.)
    - You will need an admin account, with a password, and you will need to use that account during the proceedings.
    - You need java installed. It installs automatically on lion if any program needs it, but in the case that hasn't happened yet, follow instructions from the following link: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/g...re-mac-os.html

1. You need the command line tools from apple. These are used to install and compile the packages onto your system. The only way to get them is from apple as an apple developer, but fear not, this is free.
    Go to the apple developer site : https://developer.apple.com/
    choose resources on the top and then downloads for the os X section
    You will be asked to sign in or register. Register if you don't have an account already (it's free, thanks apple).
    Once you're logged in, download Command line tools for Xcode-june 2012 (that was the latest version at the time i installed things, use a newer version when available)
    It's a dmg, so open and install that once downloaded.

You can also get the full Xcode package and install the command line tools from there, but if you're not planning to make programs just save the disk space and get the command line tools only.

2. Macports, this is a package manager that will make it easier to install the next parts.
    Go to the macports site: http://www.macports.org/install.php and get the pkg installer for lion.
    Once downloaded install this. (double click file and double click the pkg inside it)

3. That's it for the easy bits, now we need to get our hands dirty in terminal.
    Terminal is a command line box, not unlike dos from the old days.
    You can start the terminal window from Applications - utilities - Terminal
    You should have a small blank window now, with your mac name and a blinking cursor.
    Now that we are here, we need to set a few things for macports to work properly.
    Type the following line at the cursor:
    (Note: Due to some silly forum bug you can't post the line correct, so you will need to remove the ***remove*** bit manually!)
    Code:
    echo export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:\$PATH$'\n'export MANPATH=/opt/local/man:\$MANPATH | sudo tee -a /etc***remove***/profile
    You will be asked for your password, so enter it.

If all goes well, you should get the following response:

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
    export MANPATH=/opt/local/man:$MANPATH

Now enter the following command: (it's one line)
    (Note: Due to some silly forum bug you can't post the line correct, so you will need to remove the ***remove*** bit manually!)
    Code:
    if [ `sysctl -n hw.cpu64bit_capable` -eq 1 ] ; then echo "+universal" | sudo tee -a /opt/local/etc***remove***/macports/variants.conf; else echo "not 64bit capable"; fi
    You should get "+univeral" as a response.

4. So far so good, now on to installing wine.
    Again in terminal enter the following:
    Code:
    sudo port install wine
    You will be asked for your password again.
    You should be getting lots of text now, ending with something like 100% installed and checked.

However, if at first you get some warning like "Xcode appears tone installed but xcodebuild is unusable …" , you may need to do the following to redirect macports to the right locations. (It was the case with my install with the latest Xcode 4.3 command line tools).
    Enter in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
    5. Now install winetricks, it's an add-on pack to wine which will give us C++ libraries and dx9 graphics.

In terminal:
    Code:
    sudo port install winetricks
    You will be asked for your password if needed.

6. We're half way there, now start wine tricks to install the needed libraries.
    In terminal enter:
    Code:
    winetricks
    Wait a bit, this is slow, but a window should appear.

Choose "install an app" and select ok.

Go down the list and tick the boxes for d3dx9, vcrun2003, vcrun2005 and vcrun2008 and select ok.

Winetricks will do it's tricks and download some stuff, presenting you with a few window like install windows as things progress, just choose to install with standard values for all.

7. Now we should have a system installed that will enable us to run most windows programs, so on to installing DDO.

But first we need something to start up DDO, since the regular starter uses old .NET and we don't want that. Luckily some smart people made a generic DDO and LOTRO loader. It's called PyLotRO.

Find it at: http://www.lotrolinux.com/download.php

Download pylotro-setup.exe from there.

Note: Unfortunately this site has gone down since i installed things, so if anyone knows a reliable link, please let me know so i can add it.

New link: http://www.mcgillsociety.org/PyLotRo/
    Download is at the bottom of the page.

Let's install that with wine now, back in terminal: (assuming you downloaded into your downloads folder)
    Code:
    cd downloads  

wine pylori-setup-0.1.15a.exe
    (if the name of your downloaded file has changed to a more recent version, change it accordingly.)
    You will get the installer window, choose the standard settings if needed.

Next is the main DDO program.
    The easiest solution is if you have a fully working and updated DDO on a windows machine, that way you can just copy it and there is no need for using an installer. That's the way i did it.

On your windows box, go to the program files folder and copy the whole DDO unlimited folder to an external drive or usb key. (It's big, about 7 gigs)
    Connect your drive with DDO to your mac.
    We could copy all that stuff using terminal, but let's make things easy and use finder.

Fire up finder and choose Go - goto folder from the top menu.
    Enter:

/users/YOURACCOUNTNAME/.wine

in the popup.

What you see now should look somewhat familiar to a windows structure, navigate to drive_c, program files.
    Into the program files folder, copy the DDO folder you scavenged from your windows box.
    Rename the folder to DDO to makes things easier later on.
    In the programs folder you will also see the PyLorRO folder, go into that and select all, then copy.
    Go into the DDO folder and paste what you copied, let the few files overwrite when asked.

If you don't have a working windows install, you will need to download the ddo installer and use that. I haven't done this, but i'll try to give some instructions anyway.
    Find the full installer file from ddo, not the panda thing they give.
    (You may find it here: http://www.fileplanet.com/202160/200...imited-Client/)
    Download and unzip into a DDO folder inside your downloads

In terminal:
    Code:
    cd downloads
    cd DDO

wine whatever_the_name_of_the_setup_file_is.exe
    Use the standard settings and let it install.
    Don't forget to copy in the pylotro files.

9. We're getting there :-)
    Let's give it a test run.

In a fresh terminal (close and open a new one)
    Code:
    cd .wine/drive_c/program\ files/ddo

wine pylotro.exe
    If everything went good you should see windows like box where we need to change a few things to make it run DDO instead of LoTRO.
    In the tools menu, choose switch game and select DDO.
    The graphics should change to ddo, and now you can pick your server (realm), language and enter your account and password for ddo.
    Hit login and enjoy the welcome video.
    (You might get a resolution warning, just say ok.)

10. We got it running full screen now, but not in a native resolution. It looks pretty, so if you're happy you can stop now, however i wasn't yet, so a few more tweaks.
    I prefer to have games windowed so i can easily switch to other programs or desktops.

Back in terminal:
    Code:
    winecfg
    This will bring up a program that lets you set things for wine.
    On the graphics tab, select emulate a virtual desktop and enter 1024 x 768 as size (my screen is 1440 x 900, so this was good for me, you may go higher if your screen is bigger, just try and see what works best for you.)
    OK and it's done.

Startup ddo like we did above and get into the settings there. (options - graphics), choose resolution 1440 x 878 and windowed resolution 1024 x 768, untick full screen.
    We will now have it in a narrow window or a screen covering window when full screen is ticked. this makes it possible to switch between windows and use all other osx swipes.

Second thing i changed is the max frame rate, mainly to leave cpu power for other things, run cooler and save battery life. I set it to 25 which gives me a smooth experience, just experiment and see what you like. The setting can be found in options - troubleshoot.

11. We can play now, but using terminal each time to start up the game is a bit clumsy. So let's make an icon to start DDO.
    (Do use terminal for troubleshooting since that will give you some feedback, the icon way won't.)
    Start up the applescript editor, you will find it in applications - utilities, same as terminal.

Place the following into the top window:

tell application "Terminal"
    do script "/opt/local/bin/wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\\ Files/ddo/pylotro.exe"
    end tell

Hit compile and the text should change format.
    Now save as, name it DDO and choose Application in the file format box.
    Save it to your applications folder, and or drag it onto your dock.
    You can now start DDO from this icon.

I hope this helps some people play DDO on their preferred system, and good luck.
    Last edited by Virgonian; 12-01-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Default DDO on mac with wine - part 2 - Mountain lion

Mountain lion is out now, and i will upgrade to that, but i'm afraid it will break my DDO - wine install.

So this space is reserved for when i tackle that task.

Post updated with detail for mountain lion:

I have now upgraded to mountain lion and managed to get ddo working again, even with the bug introduced with U16.

The procedure is mostly the same so i'll only post those parts that are different, please see the post above for completion.

1. You still need the command line tools, but this time it's easier since you can just downloads them from the app store.
    In the appstore look for Xcode, it's rather popular so easy to find, and even better it's free. Install this (it's big) and start up xcode from your launchpad or applications.

Once installed, go into preferences, downloads, components and install the command line tools.

Since mountain lion no longer comes with X11 you will need to install xQuartz. This is the apple supported open source version for x11 and can be downloaded from the xQuartz site.

http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

Download and install like any program.

If you upgraded from Lion, and you had already installed xQuartz, you will need to remove it, download again and install a fresh one. This is to get rid of some bug that would give problems later.

2. Install macports just like on lion, but make sure to get the package for mountain lion instead.

3. see above

4. Same as above, but instead of the release version of wine, you need to install the development version. The latest development pack (1.5.18) has a fix for the bug that DDO introduced with U16.

So it's

sudo port install wine-devel

instead of just wine at the end.

5 and 6. see above

7. You still need pylotro to play ddl on wine, but unfortunately the website that hosted this program has gone.
    I'm sure the program can be found out there, but if anyone knows a reliable link for it, please let me know so i can add it here.

new link: http://www.mcgillsociety.org/PyLotRo/

download is on the bottom

The rest of the installation is just the same as for lion, so see above.

Good luck getting it working and see you in game.
    Last edited by Virgonian; 12-01-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Default OSX update 10.7.5

The latest update to Lion, 10.7.5 broke something in x11 and wine. That stopped ddo (and any 3D graphics game under wine) working.
    But luckily there is already a solution available.

The problem lies in the X11 application so you will need to update that. Apple no longer supports X11 but it has been given to the XQuartz project for further development, and they came up with a solution.

You will need to downland and install the newer X11 from XQuartz. The fix is only available in the latest release candidate and not in the main update yet.

You can find it here:

http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.7.4

Download and install the file you find there, then restart your system and all should be good.

From what i hear, this should also work for mountain lion update 10.8.2, which broke the same thing.

Community Member

Exclamation You can run DDO on ML in a VM

Parallels 8. It has DirectX 9/10 support and runs DDO at 60 FPS for me on an MBP13 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by fizban1980 View Post
    Parallels 8. It has DirectX 9/10 support and runs DDO at 60 FPS for me on an MBP13 2011.
    Awesome - Run it in Windows if it's easier for you, but i challenge anyone to tell the difference between dx 10 and 11 and dx 9 in wine... it's just not that much of a difference.

My son on Mac thru wine gets avg 90 FPS, on Linux thru Wine I get 140's and up - in my case, tho, that's a monster vid card in there and 32 GB of system RAM keeping it from getting constipated.

Framerate is not necessarily improved with versions of directx - hardware makes more of a difference.

Community Member

I'd like to add that my MacBook does NOT have an NVIDIA or ATI GPU, but an Intel 3000 seems enough to run it in a VM at 1280x800 with a lot of the detail levels set to very high. I run Mountain Lion, and Windows 8 in the VM. The newer non-GPU 2012 'Books come with an Intel 4000 I believe, which should be even better.

You can try out Parallels for free for 14 days and see if that works out.
    Last edited by fizban1980; 09-30-2012 at 09:42 PM.

I'm glad that's a solution for you, but that's not really running DDO in OS X, of course: it's running DDO in a Windows VM. You still need to have and install a copy of Windows on your Mac, and you need to purchase a copy of Parallels. You could use VirtualBox instead, but video memory is limited there and the game probably wouldn't run.

Wine is closer: you're essentially faking a Windows installation within the OS and using customized Windows drivers. Virgonian mentioned that this method broke with Mountain Lion (though it wasn't mentioned whether the updated XQuartz resolved this; I hope so). Wine can be buggy and often crashes when running relatively simple applications, so I can imagine it might break often when running a complex rendered app like DDO, and that would be frustrating, but I may try it anyway.

It would be nice to be able to play DDO natively on a Mac, or even in Linux. I realize it would be a PITA for the app to be ported from scratch to another platform. I'm just wondering whether this has been considered in the past or if an effort is possibly underway.

Quote Originally Posted by deesto View Post
    Virgonian mentioned that this method broke with Mountain Lion (though it wasn't mentioned whether the updated XQuartz resolved this; I hope so). Wine can be buggy and often crashes when running relatively simple applications, so I can imagine it might break often when running a complex rendered app like DDO, and that would be frustrating, but I may try it anyway.
    The latests update of XQuartz fixed the bug that prevented 3D games like DDO from working. So DDO is running fine again on my lion osx. Wine has had a few updates since the introduction of mountain lion, so i expect DDO to run on mountain lion just as good by now.
    So far it's been pretty stable, no odd crashes, playable frame rates, sound works fine. I can only see more frequent zoning freezes on my mac than my windows box, but that might have another cause than just running it under wine.

While I don't approve of Macs, I do approve of you posting your work for others.

+1 for you.

Hey Virgonian thanks a lot for doing this.

3 days ago something messed up with Crossover Games, whenever I got past the first loading bar when launching DDO it would say dndclient.exe has encountered a serious error and needs to close. I got the same thing with skyrim so it was crossover specific and not related to DDO.

I tried reinstalling with the new crossover, but for some reason the error kept coming up that I was missing Microsoft.Net v1.1.4322 and I could find online was an executable which I couldn't get crossover to recognize.

I'm now trying to follow your script and I've gotten to this step

Quote Originally Posted by Virgonian View Post

6. We're half way there, now start wine tricks to install the needed libraries.
    In terminal enter:
    Code:
    winetricks
    Wait a bit, this is slow, but a window should appear.

Choose "install an app" and select ok.

Go down the list and tick the boxes for d3dx9, vcrun2003, vcrun2005 and vcrun2008 and select ok.
    On the list there is no d3dx9, and I also have vc2005express and vc2008express which I am assuming replaced vcrun2005 and vcrun2008, but I have nothing 2003.

I do have direct x 9 downloaded somewhere in my computer though since I haven't deleted anything and I ran DDO 4 days ago. A search for Direct gave me a bunch of files called Microsoft.DirectX.dll and Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.dll, Microsoft.DirectX.DirectPlay.dll, etc. They were located in the folder Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Dungeons and Dragons Online_ Eberron Unlimited/drive_c/windows/Microsoft.NET/DirectX for Managed Code

Are these the source files for directX? Would need to move them somewhere if they are or would wine be able to find it?

Also I am using snow leopard if that matters at all. It also means I could only download Xcode v 3.21.
    Exelin etc, exception Estelix of Elite Raiders, Khyber
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    I often word things in ways that cause the most speculation and panic, because I'm capricious and mean.

Crossover is a form of wine with a better front end, but i have no idea how good crossover and wine work together if both are used.

Since your problem seems to be with .net, did you try to use just pyloro instead of the regular ddo launcher under crossover, i think that bypasses all the .net stuff.

That you can't add those libraries with winetricks might have to do with your crossover install. It's possible those libraries are allready installed. When i try to install them on my system again i don't get an option to install them since they are already there. (At least that's what i presume.)

Quote Originally Posted by Virgonian View Post
    Crossover is a form of wine with a better front end, but i have no idea how good crossover and wine work together if both are used.

Since your problem seems to be with .net, did you try to use just pyloro instead of the regular ddo launcher under crossover, i think that bypasses all the .net stuff.

That you can't add those libraries with winetricks might have to do with your crossover install. It's possible those libraries are allready installed. When i try to install them on my system again i don't get an option to install them since they are already there. (At least that's what i presume.)
    Crossover does use Pylotro, not the DDO launcher and I am able to launch Pylotro without Crossover running.

Ok thanks for letting me know I may have it installed. I have now continued the installation.
    I often word things in ways that cause the most speculation and panic, because I'm capricious and mean.

I am probably the only wuss here, I just ran bootcamp and installed windows, for DDO , FL studio, Ableton, etc. and shoot even Steam works out better for some reason even though there is a Mac version.

I like having two separate bootables that keep them separated and virtually tinker free. But again, I am a wuss. Don't jude me

Ran into one more issue. Getting the message

Cannot find 7z. Please install it (e.g. 'sudo apt-get install p7zip-full' or 'sudo yum install p7zip p7zip-plugins').

I tried the two commands in apostraphes, however it said apt-get and yum were not real commands.

I also tried 'sudo install p7zip-full' and that came up with

usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
    [-o owner] file1 file2
    install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
    [-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory
    install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...

Which I believe is the syntax with the command install, however not sure which one I should be using.

Edit: Got it working by installing the new crossover and installing DDO through pylotro patch function.
    Last edited by Relenthe; 10-31-2012 at 03:34 AM.

I successfully installed and ran DDO on my MBP retina w/o Windows license or Parallels. I used CodeWeavers CrossOver. There is a template for DDO already in the community supported bottles. Then fired up PyLOTRO, set it up for DDO. Patched the game (make sure you patch with the correct language setting). Once patching done, put your credentials in and enjoy Windows-less, Parallel-less DDO. The link below is a set of three screenshots I took so you can see at what resolution I'm running,the framerate and my OS X desktop in the background.

http://imgur.com/a/eVTNi
    Last edited by GentlemanAndAScholar; 11-01-2012 at 12:13 AM.
    Coldflame | Toord and many horrible experiments.
    True Join Date: Circa mid 2007. Still a noob. My simple forum rules: http://pastebin.com/ftE2V1GG

Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    While I don't approve of Macs, I do approve of you posting your work for others.
    I also don't approve of Macs

I do however approve of running DDO in wine
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanAndAScholar View Post
    I successfully installed and ran DDO on my MBP retina w/o Windows license or Parallels. I used CodeWeavers CrossOver. There is a template for DDO already in the community supported bottles. Then fired up PyLOTRO, set it up for DDO. Patched the game (make sure you patch with the correct language setting). Once patching done, put your credentials in and enjoy Windows-less, Parallel-less DDO. The link below is a set of three screenshots I took so you can see at what resolution I'm running,the framerate and my OS X desktop in the background.

http://imgur.com/a/eVTNi
    that is awesome.

I still like muh dual boot, but that is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by gphysalis View Post
    I also don't approve of Macs

I do however approve of running DDO in wine

Community Member

I play DDO on my MAc using a wrapper found here. It work quite well until last friday. Since that day the DDO-shop won't load. All I get is the background image. But the game itself is playable.

Quote Originally Posted by caranfang View Post
    I play DDO on my MAc using a wrapper found here. It work quite well until last friday. Since that day the DDO-shop won't load. All I get is the background image. But the game itself is playable.
    Are you sure this problem is specific to your Mac? I've been seeing strangeness regularly with both the DDO Store and MyDDO through my Windows 7 client, most notably: blank or white pages in either window.

Also, I was wondering whether it's necessary to _install_ the game via this wrapper, or if the game can just be run this way without installing? I ask because I'm dual booting on a MacBook Pro between OS X and Windows 7, and the game is already installed in the Windows 7 partition; I'd rather keep just one installation of the game and share it between the two, if necessary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast