Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Give mobs a real charm spell

Would be cool if mobs could charm players so they start attacking other players. You would then have to decide whether or not to kill your team mates or ignore their damage.

Tasmania - Yes it's an actual place and no, Tasmanian Devils don't spin around and eat people

Would love it but can't see it happening.
    A friend will bail you out of jail.
    A mate will be sitting in there beside you saying "Damn that was awsome!!!"

Unguilded of Orien

That one place in that one state in that one country

Would suck if the monsters charmed the Arcane Archer with fatesinger and manyshot off timer...
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. - Mark Twain

Have you ever taken a look at the pvp pit? 5 people could potentially die very fast if they're caught off guard by the charm.

Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing of course.

(Combat): You roll a save against Malicia's Dominate Monster. You roll a 1: Save failure!
    (Combat): Malicia orders you: Sit there and do nothing but drink your highest tier mneumonic potions.
    (Combat): You restore 411 spellpoints from Major Mneumonic Enhancer.
    (Combat): You restore 317 spellpoints from Major Mneumonic Enhancer.
    (Combat): You restore 388 spellpoints from Major Mneumonic Enhancer.
    (Combat): You restore 219 spellpoints from Major Mneumonic Enhancer.
    (Combat): You restore 406 spellpoints from Major Mneumonic Enhancer.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

If, and only if, the charm spell forces teh character to use their currently equipped melee weapon for melee attacks, and nothing else (Except possibly trip/sunder).

Anything else is potentially incredibly unbalanced, far too painful (Making your healer chain cast high SP spells for 30 seconds could be devastating enough even if none of the spells did anything), and also *much* harder to code.

So, for causing party members to melee (or ranged, if they have a ranged weapon equipped i suppose) auto-attacks and auto-follow nearby teammates? Signed, sounds interesting! (Obviously, characters would be unable to adjust their gear while charmed)

The main problem I see: When charmed the game AI would take over the controlls. You would probably die in a trap or fall down the next ledge. (For some players that woudn't be a difference )
    BowHealer - The "Healer with legendary CC"-project: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...h-legendary-CC
    The Dungeons and Dragons Webcomic THE ORDER OF THE STICK BY RICH BURLEW
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html

I would have been happy with just turning the friendly fire on for the affected character

...and people would just use protection from evil more often than they do now, and be immune to this effect.

Taking direct control away from the player is bad design in all games. It does not become good design in DDO.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

It has been done before in several d&d games and i think it would be nice too, but most ppl here would complain a lot... even if there is a spell to counter it easily.

So belive the devs will not bother with it sadly.

another one is the fear spell, you are totaly terrified but have total control to go where you want to...

as my favorite mind flayer says, that's why we can't have nice things.

I think this an interesting suggestion BUT should not be implemented. It would seem very out of place to me in a game with "Friendly Fireballs".

You could make a map where a wizard casts confusion. Here's how it would work:

The mini map would be either disabled or act like it does in Tempest's Spine where you cannot tell where other player are. Each player would be randomly teleported to a room away from the others. In the center room where all the player's rooms meet are hundreds of mobs. The players all have a guise cast on them (the confusion spell) and look like the mobs in the middle. PvP is active in here so friendly fire works. Fireballs and Icestorms are out of the question.

The objective would be to kill the enchanter whom cast the spell on you. Meanwhile you're never quite sure who is on your side or not and I'm not sure you could rely on anything.

My only issue is I can't seem to figure out how to eliminate the names over players heads, this would be the dead giveaway. Of course after a few funs a decent player can tell the computer AI from the player AI and everyone could say, hey meet up in the north. This still would be tricky but again I can't figure out how yet
    Last edited by Syllph; 08-13-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Community Member

Default would be nice

Yes, always wanted this.

Also, bring back the days when beholders would turn summons against the party, also lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by lugoman View Post
    Would be cool if mobs could charm players so they start attacking other players. You would then have to decide whether or not to kill your team mates or ignore their damage.
    RTFM on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    (Combat): You roll a save against Malicia's Dominate Monster. You roll a 1: Save failure!
    (Combat): Malicia orders you: Sit there and do nothing but drink your highest tier mneumonic potions.
    Evil DM alert!

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    yeah that would be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    ...and people would just use protection from evil more often than they do now, and be immune to this effect.

Taking direct control away from the player is bad design in all games. It does not become good design in DDO.
    No, not always. I played Anarchy Online and one of the boss mobs did this and it was pretty fun.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by lugoman View Post
    That would be sweet. It would suck, but it would be awesome, too.

Grease FTW!

-Ozmar the Worried
    I can has no signature. Alas!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTheHoon View Post
    I would have been happy with just turning the friendly fire on for the affected character
    Heh.

At the very least the mobs ought to be able to charm and dominate your pets, summons, and other unmentionables.

If they did that then each time you attack your allies you should get a will save to break out of the enchantment, as per D&D 3.5e PnP rules.

I like the idea in theory, but in practice it would invariably lead to wipes. :/
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast