Hybrid View

Question Satellite Connection Help Here - Revised

On a satellite connection, you must always realize, that your signal is going 44,600 miles further than ‘everyone else’s’ signal. This builds into the connection, a ‘lag’, or latency, of about 400 – 1500 milliseconds, depending on your system, the weather, and possibly, the price of tea in China. This is impossible to overcome, speed up, etc. The best you can do is to make that connection as strong as possible. This means, you must configure your system so that it connects to DDO as efficiently as possible.

Ripped (then heavily edited by Aeileron) from Samera:
    {Note: Do NOT interpret any of this, as commentary by, or opinion of, Samera. My edits are throughout his original statements.}

Problem:

SATELLITE users may experience network lag issues in parts of the game with high character populations or many active monsters engaged in combat with the player’s party. Symptoms of these issues might include irregular or delayed updates to monsters, players, and objects around you as well as unresponsiveness of the game to player input.

Step 1:

1. Determine your modem connection speed. Ignore the speed listed in Window’s Network Connections, as well as that listed in the lower right corner (by your system clock). Chances are that speed tells you the ‘maximum’ speed the modem hardware can do- which is NOT what we need. You may need to try a few different values. Typical 56k modem connections vary from 42k to 52k in the best case. You will get better game performance with this change the more accurate your number is.
    a. Go HERE: Do NOT use your ISP’s “satellite speed test”, as often times, ISPs have been believed to mislead in their test results, as to make themselves look like the better company to sign up with!
    b. Towards the bottom, you will see, “Click here for satellite connections”. Read the information, and then click that link when you are ready.
    c. Write down the reported speed. Repeat the speed test 3 times. Add all 3 kilobyte per second numbers together. Divide this total by 3. Write down the number you now have. This is the number we will use. IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE WITH YOUR ISP’S FAIR ACCESS POLICY, DIVIDE THIS NUMBER BY 2, AND USE THE NEW RESULT INSTEAD. My own number, 168, is half of my average download speed- specifically that low, to combat my ISP’s FAP, and that my wife actually plays EverQuest2 at the same time I play DDO. Determining what ‘Connection Speed’ number to use in this way has greatly reduced our latency issues.

2. You can change this setting from IN GAME now, via the OPTIONS menu. Open the Options menu, and find the Tab labeled, “Connection Speed”. Replace the “0.0” for Connection Speed with the appropriate kilobits/second (kbps) value.

The in game option, at this time, is only for dial up and dsl settings. Sadly, it does not go over 128.0, in it's settings. If your number is higher than 128, read the following.

Manually Setting Connection Speed:
    1. In your "My Documents" (XP) or "Documents" (Vista/Windows 7) > "Dungeons and Dragons Online" folder, open the file "UserPreferences.ini"

2. In this ini file, you should see a section [Net], and inside this section "ConnectionSpeed=0.0" (Note: 0.0 is the default value, which means connection speed is auto-detected by the server)

3. Change this value, to the number you obtained above. A 28,800kbps connection speed, would be written as 28.80 Think of the decimal point as the comma, for the '1,000' mark. My speed, of 168,000 is written as 168.00
    Note: Increasing this value above the stated value will allow the lagging to still occur. Do not be tempted to raise this past your connected speed rate. Modems may be capable of higher speeds, but it is the negotiated connection speed with the ISP that counts.

Step 2:

Make sure nothing else is limiting your connection to DDO. This really goes for ALL connection types, but is especially important for Satellite users.

A: Obtain a Virus Scan program- then update it. Scan your system. I use AVGFree Here.
    B: Obtain an Anti Spyware program- update, scan your system. I use AdAware Personal (FREE)Here.
    C: If your ISP has a Fair Access Policy (FAP), check your ‘usage’, to see if you are currently being penalized (they limit your connection, to LESS than average dial-up!) You will have to find your own ISP’s homepage, since I obviously don’t know who it is. I can provide the links to:
    Hughes Net, formerly DirecWay.
    HughesNet FAP Here.
    WildBlue
    WildBlue's FAP Here.
    D: Before starting DDO, disable or turn off all anti virus, anti Spyware software.

After the application of these settings the game play should be improved for SATELLITE users. While some lag WILL still occur, frequency and severity of the problems should both improve. It is still recommended for SATELLITE users to avoid large parties or the dungeons with the highest monster populations. (While this ‘suggestion’ is largely ripped from Samera, as a Sat user, with these changes, I have not had problems specifically, with full parties, large dungeons, high monster pops, etc. – unless I am restricted by a virus, Spyware, or my FAP.)

Things to remember:
    You are on a satellite connection. You are NOT considered, “Broadband”, in the context of Online Gaming, by the Internet World.
    Your latency will NEVER reach ZERO, while playing DDO (or any other game online).
    If you are playing fine and latency is where it usually is for you, and suddenly your ‘packet loss’ number begins increasing- ‘crash’ your game by using Windowed mode, and clicking the big X in the top right corner. Restart DDO. This is a current issue, the cause is not exactly known yet. However, with satellite, I have found that there is NO work around other than this. If you restart, and it happens again in a short time, repeat. After 3 tries, then (most likely) you have either: hit your Fair Access Policy Limit, or weather conditions have changed in either your area, or your ISP’s Network Operations Center area. NOTE: Some ISP's use a "Web Accelerator" - in the case of Direc/HughesNet, if the Accelerator 'fails' for any reason, you WILL see this problem. Unplug your Satellite Modem, wait 1 minute, plug it back in. Restart DDO after all lights on the modem are lit as they normally would be. Otherwise, your best solution at this point, is to shut down, and come back to the game some time later- and call your cable company, to ask just when they are planning to install cable to your neighborhood.

Troubleshooting your connection:

1: Make sure that your firewall (if using one) is set properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggs
    Instead of disabling your Firewall please remove dndclient.exe and dndlauncher.exe from the exceptions/permission list and then re-add them.
    DDO Firewall KB Article
    DDO Firewall KB Article (Windows 7)

2: Check your Internet Explorer Security Settings. DDO uses Internet Explorer's default security settings- this is how they are related. More information can be found on this, by searching the Tech Support forum.

3: Trace-route: Trace-route is a utility that comes with Windows, and can be used to determine where exactly, your ‘lag’ is coming from. If you get to here, and do not know how to use Trace-route, please post a new thread asking for assistance.

4: Your router’s settings (though unlikely) may need to be adjusted also- similar to your firewall’s settings. Routers are a very involved subject; if you suspect this to be the problem, please post a new thread asking for assistance.

Router Support
    Port Forwarding Information

I have included these ideas for troubleshooting, as it is entirely possible that your problem is NOT your satellite connection- but merely posting that your connection IS via Satellite, may cause others to think that IS your problem, and therefore not give you the full help that you need.

If I or anyone else can think of anything else that will specifically assist SATELLITE users, I’m sure we’ll add it below, or edit THIS post, to include the new information.

Edits:
    Added manual Connection Speed adjustment info.
    Added WildBlue web links.
    Edit:
    Added Firewall & Router Knowledge Base links.
    Edit: (Mirthgar)
    Updated some and removed some obsolete links
    Last edited by Mirthgar; 08-10-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Replaced/Updated some obsolete links

Beta Feedback Coordinator Tiggs's Avatar

Great Job! I will wait a few days and if nothing is added I will create a KB article out of it.

Thanks for the info... I will definitly take your advice.

One question though... could the inherent lag of satelite have anything to do with my Hard lockups where the game completely freezes up and I have to power down the computer manually or my zone freezes where when moving from instance to instance I will lag out?

TD
    Gone in search of myself... If I get back before I return please keep me here until I get back.

Followed all instructions, but as far as entering connection speed goes it doesn't seem to work as described.

The only place I could find connection speed was under "troubleshooting"

It has three settings

A slide bar for frame rate that you can adjust from 15.0 to Infinity

A drop down setting for Engine Speed that goes from Low to Very High

And a drop down for connection speed that goes from 28.9 to 128.0

After taking an average of 3 speed tests my average is 407kbps

There is no place to manually enter connection speed that I could find.

What should I set the three settings to in order to optimise my connection?
    Gone in search of myself... If I get back before I return please keep me here until I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Dogs
    Followed all instructions, but as far as entering connection speed goes it doesn't seem to work as described.

The only place I could find connection speed was under "troubleshooting"

It has three settings

A slide bar for frame rate that you can adjust from 15.0 to Infinity

A drop down setting for Engine Speed that goes from Low to Very High

And a drop down for connection speed that goes from 28.9 to 128.0

After taking an average of 3 speed tests my average is 407kbps

There is no place to manually enter connection speed that I could find.

What should I set the three settings to in order to optimise my connection?
    I have updated the 1st post, thank you for calling this to my attention. This is what was added up above:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeileron
    The in game option, at this time, is only for dial up and dsl settings. Sadly, it does not go over 128.0, in it's settings. If your number is higher than 128, read the following.

Manually Setting Connection Speed:
    HTML Code:
    1. In your "My Documents\Dungeons and Dragons Online" folder, edit the UserPreferences.ini

2. In this ini file, you sould see a section [Net], and inside this section "ConnectionSpeed=0.0" (Note: 0.0 is the default value, which means connection speed is auto-detected by the server)

3.  Change this value, to the number you obtained above.  A 28,800kbps connection speed, would be written as 28.8.  Think of the decimal point as the comma, for the '1,000' mark.  My speed, of 168,000 is written as 168.0.
    As for framerate setting, and Engine speed, these are primarily for graphics card overheating issues, so if you can make that other post, we can explore that further.

Community Member

https://gls.ddo.com/GLS.AuthServer/Service.asmx": The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server. This is my error since the patch on june 1st , i have been playing fine on satellite for 3 months now, tried to work the issue out with tech support for about 30 minutes and he told me to download bitdefender which i did even though i had avg already , eventually he replied ddo does not support satellite and left it at that, ive enjoyed the game thus far and would love to continue playing but with the new error am afraid i cannot continue. I delted dnd launcher and dnd client from windows firewall and re added it , i adjusted my exceptions under lan settings for ddo , i ran tracert and noticed on line 1 it was timed out on all other lines it was fine. Im not sure what to do i ran adaware avg and bit torrent and found nothing , i bypassed the router and connected straight to the computer , still did not work. Is there any fix for this ?

hughesnet is my satellite
    1.5 gig ram 2800 athlon 80 gb harddrive 30 gig free
    router is a linksys wireless-g 2.4 ghz Wrt54g v5
    ive got the dw7000 modem, satellite speeds are at 980 kb download and 300 upload normal latency is at 800ms but im used to it and dont really lag to much. the only firewall i have is windows firewall.

The answer is actually in this thread: http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40706

This issue is NOT satellite related (Tiggs, maybe a friendly memo through the CSR office, asking the guys NOT to just discount an error, when the customer is on satellite? Thanks!)

Sorry for the late response... I'm not spending every day in here anylonger, and after the 15th, will only be back after some major game changes

Quote Originally Posted by Two Dogs
    One question though... could the inherent lag of satelite have anything to do with my Hard lockups where the game completely freezes up and I have to power down the computer manually or my zone freezes where when moving from instance to instance I will lag out?
    Yes. But I would not blame it on the sat connection first. I'll be on here off and on today, if you can start a new thread (instead of appending to this one), let me know your ISP company, modem model, router manufacturer/model #, post a copy of your dxdiag file (put this between the CODE tags- looks like a # sign in the post editor options above).

Any other specific info on your problem could be a huge help. I ask for your sat company's name, so I can look into any issues with their system.

While I DO lag from time to time, when zoning in, it usually is NOT excessive, and it has NEVER actually dropped my game. However, PRE-DDO, I have had connection issues so ugly, it would freeze up the PC.

Receiving less info would help any connection that is bandwidth starved. Turning off things like combat text and effects will help to save a little.

You could also disable loot as well in the General tab. Or delete the general tab completely. If there's something super important that you still need you could turn everything else off and just leave it on.