Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Not familiar with Gauntlet.
    It was a game that had fairly balanced classes: Elf was ranged with speed, Valkyrie was better at defense, Warrior was better at melee, and Wizard was ranged with power. It was 2D, but basically just like DDO (with less linear maps). The weapons available for pickup at the beginning of Shroud are associated to these four characters, and the beginning phase of Shroud is supposed to mimic Gauntlet to some extent. To me DDO is nothing but a video game, and would actually be more fun if it mimic'd Gauntlet more often.

The ultimate balancer for casters is supposed to be mana restrictions. That's how it works in P&P. But in DDO, that restriction is removed by the existence of mana pots (and Echoes to a lesser extent). Those are the real ultimate source of the problem.
    Ding - Ding - Ding. We have a winner. This is the real problem with casters, even DoTs pale in comparison as a problem.

And regarding teh_meh's comment about no one would play a sorc, well if sp was a major concern they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Raithe View Post
    well if sp was a major concern they would.
    this is why I value pots as currency. I've never understood using LDS or FRDS as a currency. major mnemonics and medium eberrons are where it's at for me.

cause a wizard who doesn't have to care about SP is now a superior version of a sorc in every meaningful way (I admit sorcs are still kings of taking screenshots of critting with a polar ray against a fire elemental tho)
    scrollfu! meowfu! +4fu! firstyfu!
    Maarl de Gutter (ret.) ~ Gnaaarl de Mutter (ret.) ~ Nineinch Rails (ret.)
    Intragreenis Druid - Human FvS [x2] Evoker ~ Guttural de Chanter - Elf Wiz [x4] PM
    Potpourri de Foo Foo - WF Wiz [Sx3][FvSx3][Wx3] Shiradi

Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post
    this is why I value pots as currency. I've never understood using LDS or FRDS as a currency. major mnemonics and medium eberrons are where it's at for me.

cause a wizard who doesn't have to care about SP is now a superior version of a sorc in every meaningful way (I admit sorcs are still kings of taking screenshots of critting with a polar ray against a fire elemental tho)
    I'd rather say that a sorcerer who doesn't have to worry about SP is a superior wizard. Their spells will still hit a lot harder and faster.

[QUOTE=Qaliya;4635916]

The ultimate balancer for casters is supposed to be mana restrictions. That's how it works in P&P. But in DDO, that restriction is removed by the existence of mana pots (and Echoes to a lesser extent). Those are the real ultimate source of the problem.

if there ever was going to be a "nerf" to casters, thats hitting the nail on the head.

i also believe spells should be limited to how many uses per rest, much like boosts. i dont think all, but the powerful ones should.

of course, if this was to ever happen, which i seriously doubt, the same would have to apply to all classes. people like their spells and like being able to use them as much as they want, until their mana dries up, but with EoP, its almost never ending.

ive seen some posts from people who complain about mobs who cast spells over and over and never seem to stop or run out of mana. cant have your cake and eat it too.

Community Member

PS I'm amazed at how much damage I can do with my sorc using Echoes. Especially since the last update, when it got a bit better.
    The amount of damage you can do with echoes is pathetic. It is a tiny fraction of the damage a melee puts out, and here people are complaining melee DPS is low.

Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    Hell I would settle for metamagics to work like they do in DnD, costing higher spell slots and limiting the number of metas to one per spell would be a "nerf" I would sign every day, twice on Sunday!
    Metamagic isn't limited to 1 per spell in PnP. If metamagic was like PnP we'd have the hugely unbalanced metamagic rods, Divine Metamagic, Nightsticks, Twinspell etc. etc. Madness!

Quote Originally Posted by Fefnir_2011 View Post
    I feel very sad whenever I see a monk clear rooms with Everything is Nothing. It's kind of like the devs told arcanes "No, you can't play with that toy, it's dangerous!" and then promptly handed it to the monks. The new Wail is so depressing because groups of mobs larger than 10 are difficult to clear out efficiently now, meaning that monks, sorcerers, favored souls, clonks/clerics, and even well-geared melees with cleave can clean up trash faster than I can, and while spending less SP.
    Mass Hold Monster > Everything is Nothing. When hold lands, everything is effectively dead, it's just a timesink. And even the nerfed wail still beats the difficult to use and massive cooldown of EiN. If you can't outkill a monk with instakills on a wizard, you seriously seriously seriously are playing the wrong class and should stick with barbarian and smash stuff with your forehead.

This is a soloers perspective and trust me, I solo a ton. The new wail mechanic is much more complimentary to group play. Doing so does not make it a nerf...just a nerf to soloers. I agree its a nerf to soloers
    Yes, it's great in that every cast instead of once you can now have melee run up to THREE separate mobs and have them instakilled on them after triggering their stunning blow or cleave ! SO much better for group play! Three times the melee frustration! Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Cinos View Post
    I'd rather say that a sorcerer who doesn't have to worry about SP is a superior wizard. Their spells will still hit a lot harder and faster.
    sorcs already don't have have to worry about SP so I'm not sure where you are going here. being an arcane is SO much more than spamming EVO spells, most of which have annoying reflex saves. a sorc has no past life options for getting what a wizard can achieve, whereas, the critical sorc advantages can be claimed by a wizard with sorc past lives and pots.

I've watched sorcs try to necro and enchant things at end-end game and it's not pretty uless they are exceptionally geared (I suspect there's a lot of equipment hot-swapping going on).

While I haven't tried it yet (I'm dying to) I've heard an evo-spec'd wiz arch mage rocking Sharadi is the current king of shock and awe in this game.
    Intragreenis Druid - Human FvS [x2] Evoker ~ Guttural de Chanter - Elf Wiz [x4] PM

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    Yes, it's great in that every cast instead of once you can now have melee run up to THREE separate mobs and have them instakilled on them after triggering their stunning blow or cleave ! SO much better for group play! Three times the melee frustration! Perfect!
    Sarcasm, awesome.

Was actually thinking melee should engage the oncoming melee mobs while the arcane hits Wail and does a trip around the periphery to pick off the casters and pew pews.

The better question for me is: what reason is there right now to roll anything that is NOT a caster?
    Not every reason has to revolve around creating the best possible character; personal enjoyment is still a huge reason to play something other than a caster, a reason that is arguably more important than any other reason.

As long as you enjoy playing a class, than that is reason enough to play it in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    I agree with the feathered marsupial.

sorcs already don't have have to worry about SP so I'm not sure where you are going here. being an arcane is SO much more than spamming EVO spells, most of which have annoying reflex saves. a sorc has no past life options for getting what a wizard can achieve, whereas, the critical sorc advantages can be claimed by a wizard with sorc past lives and pots.

I've watched sorcs try to necro and enchant things at end-end game and it's not pretty uless they are exceptionally geared (I suspect there's a lot of equipment hot-swapping going on).

While I haven't tried it yet (I'm dying to) I've heard an evo-spec'd wiz arch mage rocking Sharadi is the current king of shock and awe in this game.
    No, they can't at all. Sorcerers have much faster cast speed, shorter cooldowns, and a savant will be casting his native element at higher caster levels than a wizard ever can. This means, in short, bigger booms. They can also curse enemies for 15% more damage with that element. Polar Ray is a good example here, the only limiting factor is the spell point cost when quickened, empowered and maximized. A sorc trying to wail or charm at endgame is doing it wrong.

I'd say wizards are better against trash but sorcs against bosses due to single target damage, pretty much.

Community Member DeafeningWhisper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzacoala View Post
    Not every reason has to revolve around creating the best possible character; personal enjoyment is still a huge reason to play something other than a caster, a reason that is arguably more important than any other reason.

As long as you enjoy playing a class, than that is reason enough to play it in my opinion.
    I agree with the feathered marsupial.
    "Pike or do not. There is no lag."

Community Member

I remember one time shortly after I capped my first character. Went in to a DA epic and the party was marginal, but the wizard leading the party didn't think it would be a problem.

His plan was to simply put up and keep up dancing balls on every portal and in the center of the room, and plaster the whole place with AoE spells to kill stuff.

When people asked how he could do that with his modest blue bar, he linked a stack of 100 store major mnemonic potions, and proudly told us he was happy to use all of them in this one quest if necessary.

I'd say wizards are better against trash but sorcs against bosses due to single target damage, pretty much.
    If evo-spec'd Archmage Sharadi Champion does what I'm hearing, they own this category as well now. but not sure.

I've heard the Draconic Sorc breath is obscene damage, but the sharadi procs on a wiz cycling through his many different missle spells (magic, chain, force, meteor storm etc) + his missle SLA's is just pure evil.

Mass Hold Monster > Everything is Nothing. When hold lands, everything is effectively dead, it's just a timesink. And even the nerfed wail still beats the difficult to use and massive cooldown of EiN. If you can't outkill a monk with instakills on a wizard, you seriously seriously seriously are playing the wrong class and should stick with barbarian and smash stuff with your forehead.
    Thanks for insinuating that I'm a bad player. I'm not a holdbot, if I wanted to do that I'd TR to an archmage so i can hide behind the party buffing and holding, content in the knowledge that I made a difference somehow. I'm a Pale Master, a student of the Necromantic arts, and I wholeheartedly feel I should be able to use my power to control life and death over whole armies, not "2 enemies every 2 seconds for 6 seconds".

And Re: EiN, if it had the same monster cap as Implosion or Wail I wouldn't have mentioned it. But the crux of the matter is, developers explicitly said:

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Instant death effects are a powerful tool that are difficult to strike perfect balance with. We've wavered over time from completely unusable (old Epic blanket Death Wards) to excessively strong (the current live situation). When they're completely unusable, that's a bad thing because it decreases the number of options you have to deal with encounters. When they're too strong, they likewise decrease the number of viable options that exist, and can dramatically reduce the enjoyment of other characters in your party.
    That same development team turned around and created Everything is Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by DDOwiki
    Perfect Peace counter increments each time you use Stunning Fist, Quivering Palm, Lily petal, Orchid blossom, Drifting Lotus or A Scattering of Petals. When Perfect Peace counter reaches 25, gain the ability to use Everything is Nothing. On activation Enemies in a large radius from you must make a saving throw (DC 20 + character level +1/2 wis mod) or be erased from multiverse. If they succeed at saving throw they are paralyzed for 6 seconds. After 6 seconds the enemies take 1000 damage (fortitude for half). Bosses take damage immediately.
    It either is balanced or it isn't, and I could have taken my spoonful of nerf medicine on this matter if it weren't for this kind of inconsistency. It smacks of taking one classes' toys and giving it to another just for the sake of appeasing those who thought it wasn't fair. And if you can't understand why EiN is just as powerful as the old WotB, you should look closer.
    Honkin * Diaari * Bazongas

I remember one time shortly after I capped my first character. Went in to a DA epic and the party was marginal, but the wizard leading the party didn't think it would be a problem.

His plan was to simply put up and keep up dancing balls on every portal and in the center of the room, and plaster the whole place with AoE spells to kill stuff.

When people asked how he could do that with his modest blue bar, he linked a stack of 100 store major mnemonic potions, and proudly told us he was happy to use all of them in this one quest if necessary.
    See, I'm totally against store bought potions, but I like being able to find and receive the plain ones as rewards. They provide the extra kick needed when the boss is almost dead along with the entire party and you manage to land that last polar ray it takes.

Makes the game more exciting than not. They just shouldn't be buyable in infinite amounts for real cash.

If evo-spec'd Archmage Sharadi Champion does what I'm hearing, they own this category as well now. but not sure.

I've heard the Draconic Sorc breath is obscene damage, but the sharadi procs on a wiz cycling through his many different missle spells (magic, chain, force, meteor storm etc) + his missle SLA's is just pure evil.
    They don't. It's highly overrated. Procs are so sporadic that even force missiles isn't guaranteed to get you a proc. Chain missiles is ****, because it only hits the main target once. Even with full procs, you're probably better off throwing a polar ray instead. There's no way that a wizard/shiradi would do more DPS than a wizard/draconic incarnation, not even considering the caster level difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    1.) Dots (even double dots) don't do more dps then a reasonably well built melee. Casters can pump out more dps on a shorter time frame, but will burn a lot more sp that way.
    Not really.

Just about any caster can pull aggro off of a well built melee.

On MY sorcerer, it seemed the only way to not pull aggro was to pike until the boss was below %50 hp.

Yet another post about overpowered casters
    Few months ahead we will get a huge caster nerf because of these threads ,
    I for one play a caster and a melee , if the caser got nerfd I wouldn't play it as much
    I don't use pots very often and am limmited by sp , I can fod most "trash" mobs but can aout the same amount of dmg as my mele toon

Threads like this just push ddo into everything being nefed and below par
    Resulting in less casters to run with
    But nerfing terror for melles did suck but the can still pump out dmg and a constant rate without limits of sp

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fefnir_2011 View Post
    It either is balanced or it isn't, and I could have taken my spoonful of nerf medicine on this matter if it weren't for this kind of inconsistency. It smacks of taking one classes' toys and giving it to another just for the sake of appeasing those who thought it wasn't fair. And if you can't understand why EiN is just as powerful as the old WotB, you should look closer.
    I understand perfectly well, you, on the other hand, are pretty much in the dark.

If wail got changed so that it would hit unlimited targets but you couldn't use it unless you were a magister and took a tier 6 ability, and it was on a 3 minute timer that requires 25 casts of symbol of death, symbol of stunning, symbol of persuasion, symbol of pain and symbol of weakness FIRST (i.e. any time you step in a quest, gotta do that garbage before you can even use it), know what that would be called? A MASSIVE nerf.

But yeah, keep up the whining. Maybe you'll get it nerfed too. But know what is right after that? Web, mass hold, mass charm, wall of fire, fireball, and everything else wizards get that hit unlimited targets will get nerfed down to 4 too.

Community Member DeafeningWhisper's Avatar

Maybe you'll get it nerfed too.
    EiN is gonna get the nerf stick sooner or later, probably sooner seen how it works on some red names at the moment, yeah not a fan of Fight Club rules here.
    "Pike or do not. There is no lag."

See, I'm totally against store bought potions, but I like being able to find and receive the plain ones as rewards. They provide the extra kick needed when the boss is almost dead along with the entire party and you manage to land that last polar ray it takes.

Makes the game more exciting than not. They just shouldn't be buyable in infinite amounts for real cash.
    This arguement never makes sense. For one, store bought pots are one of the best sellers, hence in theory funding the game moreso (different discussion for a different thread). For another, why do people constantly express so much care about how others play the game? If you want to run with people that don't use the store, then find them, they are out there. If somebody wants to blow $20 bucks on a stack of superior pots, why do you care? Obviously, if someone is using 20-100 pots in a quest/raid, you most likely won't group with them again.....or maybe you would

I've probably collected over 3000 major pots (which is probably low compared to hard core players) during my time in the game. If I gulp down 20-100 during a quest/raid, what's the difference? Granted, I generally sell them, but the point stands. There is zero difference btw a store bought pot and a "found" pot, ZERO.
    Last edited by Hokiewa; 08-10-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Hilarious Princess....Sorry your life is so medicore after all this time..Lol, you are scared of a farmer? with a tractor....?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast