Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
    As much as people scream that Half Elf is so much superior I would like someone to make a Half Elf build that has 18 starting STR, 16 Starting WIS, high enough Con for Grandmaster Earth and enough DEX for TWF chain... Even as a 36 point build with +4 tomes I would have to drop STR or WIS to get everything I need.
    Without question a Horc can have a higher starting strength than a helf without dumping an important stat. No one is arguing that. I think the point is that you do not need to. The extra (very small amount) of damage is not worth what you lose by not going helf and indeed if SA is in play the helf will out-dps the horc.

Either way, rather the build is horc or helf, it is excellent.
    Captains Crew, Ghallanda
    Tweakfoo (Monk, 7th Life) | Tweakbot (Wizard, 8th Life) | Tweakit (Bladeforged Fighter Mutt, 16th Life, Completionist)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by IxidorGR View Post
    Hm, do you know how easy it is to bypass large amounts of fortification post U14?
    Do you know how important it is to be able to drink SF pots?
    Do you know how important hamp is?
    Do you know how ugly horcs are?
    Do you know what Human Versatility enhancement line is?
    Do you know that monk past life active feat adds 1d3 and not 1d6 to your base damage? (It's +1 on the unarmed damage chart, not +1[w])
    Do you know that 10.5 SA dmg per swing is better than +5dmg per swing when your toon is DPSing and not tanking? (after all this is a DPS build, right?)
    Do you know that monks can *force* the SA dmg by stunning the mobs that are aggroed on them?

Just my 2 cents on DPS monks

PS: Gloves/Bracers Claw Set (red fens) far better than the Sun Soul set bonus

When going for max dps wouldn't you want charged gauntlets + sun soul set (+2 insightful con, +7 wisdom, +2 insightful wisdom +7 con and +2 damage, +2 hit)

Or you could do both claw and sun soul if you are willing to give up your trinket for the extra 2 damage from sun soul.

The sun soul set is 2 less damage than the claw. The charged gauntlets + the sun soul set are better damage than the claw and with a few nice bonuses.(especially if it is your third piece to the chrono set) I would only say you need the 30% amp when your using silver flame pots not if you have a healer. I do agree though on half-elf (to each their own), nevertheless nice update on the build.
    Last edited by moo_cow; 08-16-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moo_cow View Post
    When going for max dps wouldn't you want charged gauntlets + sun soul set (+2 insightful con, +7 wisdom, +2 insightful wisdom +7 con and +2 damage, +2 hit)

Or you could do both claw and sun soul if you are willing to give up your trinket for the extra 2 damage from sun soul.

The sun soul set is 2 more damage than the claw. The charged gauntlets + the sun soul set are better damage than the claw and with a few nice bonuses.(especially if it is your third piece to the chrono set) I would only say you need the 30% amp when your using silver flame pots not if you have a healer. I do agree though on half-elf (to each their own), nevertheless nice update on the build.
    Until they release the new cloaks (and even then) I will probably be sticking with the Spare Hand for the + Combat DC, 3% Doublestrike, and two epic slots. That is just a really nice belt... I have not farmed up the old epics since I was gone for so long so I currently dont have access to the Claw or Abashi sets. Once I get closer to getting the seals and shards I need I will figure my gear out again.

Community Member

Ya myself, I might be sticking with the envenomed cloak as the exceptional +5 seeker does less than 1.5 damage a hit on a monk with a x3 crit multiplier and the +1 isn't that huge from the +6 combat mastery unless its harder content. Not sure how I'm making the setup as of yet on my monk till I look at the new loot.

Still I like the update on the build not saying anything against it, it's a nice build and it's awesome that you took the time to type up the build.

This build is very similar to the build I have been running for a while now, though with some differences in gear choices and mine is helf. I will say this is a very nice change to the old build and definitely deserving of a +1 (can only give +1 for now or I would give more), well done!

This build and similar ones are DEFINITELY not for the people who don't like button mashing. I currently have hotbars 1-4 set up for different combos and constantly switch between them in quests. (Though when switching to a less-button mash class, I feel like I am forgetting to do something when I am not hitting so many keys xD)
    Last edited by N1ko; 08-17-2012 at 04:44 AM.
    Khyber - Apodiformes (monk) / Apodidae (sorc)

Smile Dps

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith_Sarevok View Post
    I'd just like to say that this build is INSANELY powerful in the current endgame.

I've run with him several times on my pure THF max DPS Half-Orc Barbarian 20 / Epic 5 / Legendary Dreadnought 5 using an ESoS, and he's been able to out-DPS me on more than one occasion.

He's also the only monk I've ever met that can meet or beat my kill count score sheet in just about every quest. Very easy to level, easy to build; gear is a bit of a grind though because of all the bugs and lootgens required, but it's all within acceptable limits even to a casual player. Best monk ever!
    I really love this build.

A lot of fun and soloability, decent dps and survivability.

Still no monk can ever outdps well rolled barb. Kill count does not mean higher dps.
    But on the other side where barb fails monk wins, any monk have higher dps than dead barb D *poke*

Crushinatorr - 18/2 Barbarian from Orien

Community Member

what if half orc is not available? what race could be an alternative for this build?

Quote Originally Posted by eric1201 View Post
    what if half orc is not available? what race could be an alternative for this build?
    i would say helf. for the extra heal amp, rougue dilly ( 1d6 SA, can be upgraded to a 3d6 ), also the Adaptability bonues to ability scores.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    Damn you forum folk...damn you all!!

Default Great build

A really good build similar to the last life on my monk i would like to point out some other great gear options.

I used the sun soul belt and bracers and the spider silk vestments upgraded.
    For rings i switched between house C and a house dunrobar with +5 exp combat mastery
    A great pair of handwraps that i use all the time is Grave Wrappings which i use all the time.
    I have a min 2 helm.
    PDK gloves.
    Drow Pwifia.
    Druid commendation googles
    Madstone Boots
    And then you can put one of the planar focuses in your trinket slot because you can slot GFL in the house C ring.
    Just a diffrent set of gear thats fairly easy to get.
    Dragxon Dragbon Dreadclaw Ponth Frass
    Mitis Mors

Community Member

What's lost using human for this build?

I have a current human multiclass I'm considering LR'ing and was wondering if it would be worth going to this build as a human.

thanks.

Human buys you a feat and 10% more amp(wouldnt be able to afford 30% without gimping yourself anyway) but loses you 3d6 sneak attack from helf dilly/horc str & pa etc. Then get that 3d6 add it to stunned+senseweakness twisted monk and it comes out to a large amount of dps.

I had a 12monk/6fighter/2pally ac monk tank back before the ac changes and ended up making her into a 12/7/1 monk/fighter/rogue. It let me pick up 1d6sa and 3 more from enhancements, haste boost 3 kensai 1 really good umd (39 with just basic buffs and cha6 slotted on a epic item thanks to the +5 epic skills). Started her base stats as 16/14/16/8/16/8 +3 tomes to all stats. Dark path ninja spy2 for the 3d6 sneak attack. All level ups to str. The usual feats plus requirements for kensai (wf ws etc) cleave and great cleave to open up overwhelming crit picked up and improved martial arts for the 2nd epic feat. Without maxed destinys i've seen plenty of crits in earth 3 stance in the 600-650range on just stunned trash (without anything special going on like say adrenaline).
    Last edited by K_0tiC; 10-04-2012 at 05:55 AM.
    Officer of Renowned

Thelanis

(Click here too check us out)

Polverizing The Wise, Dotting The Cleanser, Polarities The Undying, Sosage The Killer, Shootin The piercer & many more holders of items.

For Example My Monk uses the Following Hand wraps:

+6 Amaunator Ascetic's Handwraps: Icy Burst, Lightning Strike, Improved Destruction and Fracturing – My all-purpose wraps that work on almost anything. Bought these for a million plat on the AH and have never regretted my purchase
    +6 Metalline of Mauling: Good all-purpose DR breaking wraps that work on all devils and outsiders. Will eventually be replaced with greater banes
    +4 Annihilating of Smiting: My Construct and portal beaters.
    +6 Anarchic Burst of Smiting: Marut beaters
    +5 Holy of Disruption: Undead Beater
    +4 Annihilating of Greater Elemental Bane: Elemental Bane wraps
    Great build, but the wrap choices seem a tad odd to me. In particular, these two:
    +6 Metalline of Mauling: Good all-purpose DR breaking wraps that work on all devils and outsiders. Will eventually be replaced with greater banes
    +4 Annihilating of Greater Elemental Bane: Elemental Bane wraps

You use smiters & disrupters.... where's the love for Banishers? A good Banishing of Lacertating pair will out DPS either of these, except for bosses where you need both metal & good. For that, Cannith crafted is usually the way to go, although your metalline of mauling will do the job as well.

Edit: other gear ideas.... I really like the Cove gloves, although you can't get them now. But the +2.5 damage, on top of sneak (ok, a tad less than tharnes/drow cloak, but saves a slot) and +7 str are awesome. Also, by moving sneak, you can use the new Bear cloak for exceptional combat mastery, freeing up the belt slot to complete the Sun Soul set. Which also gives Con, freeing up helm.... which is where I have a Min II GS HP item giving HP and Fort... completing the cycle.

And who knows, when the Cove comes back, there should be lvl 24 items, which I imagine at the very least will bump the gloves to the full +5 sneak, and possibly +8 str.
    Last edited by Raoull; 10-05-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

As much as people scream that Half Elf is so much superior I would like someone to make a Half Elf build that has 18 starting STR, 16 Starting WIS, high enough Con for Grandmaster Earth and enough DEX for TWF chain... Even as a 36 point build with +4 tomes I would have to drop STR or WIS to get everything I need.
    So for strength to level ups (even though some helves still do this) and two whole points of strength (1.5damage a swing) (3damage pa & possibly 2 more strength from enhancements) for a gain of 6.5 damage is worth:

- Silver flame pots anytime with starting 16/14/16/8/16/8 and +3 tomes to all stats after deaths/ship buffs run out
    - 20% less healing amp. So 100+ points difference in said silver flame pot/healscrolls in a end game where we constantly take in 200-400 points of damage
    - Less enhancement points to spend on wisdom which will reduce your dps as your stunning fist/EiN/Drifting lotus etc start to be saved against since you spent them on strength and power attack.
    - Not meeting the requirements for vorpal fists which not only gives you 5 damage a swing but also instant kills under 1000hp and slashing damage to bypass things like zombie dr.
    - 1 skill point per level up which with the new epic +5 skills means something like a totally working and useful umd even with just 11 points things like displacement scrolls/heal scrolls at say 80% which is fine for between fight top offs or saving someones life/ bypassing umd requirements for chaotic/good weapon alignment issues.
    -10.5 damage sneak attack from rogue dilly or 95% useful divine scroll and wand usage from heal scrolls down.
    - +2-3 dc on all monk skills including things in the gmof tree from taking wisdom to level ups
    - Human versatility +25% to damage which im sure replaces the strength and power attack bonus and probably 10-15 or more damage per swing extra. Also this can be activated with twisted haste boost from LD for even more dps.
    - Human adaptability which means 1 more wisdom/con/strength
    - Human Greater adaptability which allows you to buy another stat. So 1 of those 4 strength difference or, another con or wisdom
    - something else when I can be bothered thinking more.

Both races ugliness can be replaced by /showhelmet on or a ddo store purchased ninja mask etc.
    Last edited by K_0tiC; 10-07-2012 at 04:44 AM.
    Officer of Renowned

Thelanis

(Click here too check us out)

Polverizing The Wise, Dotting The Cleanser, Polarities The Undying, Sosage The Killer, Shootin The piercer & many more holders of items.

why is it so bad to drop STR or WIS a tiny bit? won't dps still be higher for helf with rogue dilly with SA?

I have a rogue past life, would it make sense to use the rogue active past life feat at lvl 3 rather than another toughness (+5/+10 SA damage clicky) with a helf monk eith rogue dilly? Would the SA damage stack?

If you have rogue PL instead of monk would this build still work? And would you still need the cloak could you replace the cloak with GS HP and have the purple dragon gauntlets instead int eh gloves spot?

Community Member

Preparing to TR into this, excellent build!
    How, or would you adjust stats to reflect (since they're easy to get now)+4 tomes?

Default light path version

great build. Seems like good, solid dps. Now, for shameless self-promotion:

just recently I made a light path spin-off of this build that ended up focusing a lot more on stuns (43 standing wisdom, somehow can't reach your 60 DC though) and survivability. Tome requirements on it are based off of what I have used.
    hope to get some feedback on it before I TR into it.
    Click here for build
    Light path Metaru
    Festivult meets the Ice Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Dear Very Concerned Customer,
    Buy a rez cake.

Community Member

I like how the horc fire stance and earth stance is more dps
    than a wind stance monk with 28% doublestrike.
    So your horc +5 dmg is superior to that much doublestrike in
    a windstance build.
    No other stance can touch the dps output of wind stance.
    All of you guys that are completely oblivious to how vastly
    superior doublestrike is for any build, it's even MORE important
    to low crit profile fast attack speed builds.
    Earth attacks are great. But heal amp + wind stance, even a dex
    build monk will blow away the dmg output of this build.

Good luck.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alimai View Post
    I like how the horc fire stance and earth stance is more dps
    than a wind stance monk with 28% doublestrike.
    So your horc +5 dmg is superior to that much doublestrike in
    a windstance build.
    No other stance can touch the dps output of wind stance.
    All of you guys that are completely oblivious to how vastly
    superior doublestrike is for any build, it's even MORE important
    to low crit profile fast attack speed builds.
    Earth attacks are great. But heal amp + wind stance, even a dex
    build monk will blow away the dmg output of this build.
    Whelp, I'm convinced! Delete this thread and your Metarus guys, you're all wasting your time!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast