Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking The Metaru 2.0 - Dark Path Half Orc Fire DPS Monk

Intro:

The Metaru 2.0 build is a high strength, amazing dps, and great survivability build. This is a modified version of my original Warforged Metaru build (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...93#post3146693) with increased DPS, improved saves and incredible stunning potential using both stunning fist and stunning blow.

This is going to be a guide for new and old players alike but just as a word of caution this is a very gear, tome (+2, +3) and build stat (32/34/36) dependent build. It can still be done by a new or old player but it will require some dedication and time. Also any max DPS monk build is going to require a reincarnation so you have the past life monk feat available to you. Having an extra .5 W on your fists with an extra +1-3 to damage is too huge to pass up.

One final note this is a button mashing build; you will constantly be going rotating through 7+ different strikes and abilities. If having to constantly be rotating 4 button combos, with Touch of Death, Stunning Fist, Stunning Blow, Improved Sunder and epic destiny abilities doesn’t sound like fun then this is not the right build for you.

Race:

Half Orc
    +2 base str, +2 str enhancements, +3 Power Attack (PA) enhancements, Extra Action Boosts (for epic destinies)

Alignment:

Lawful Neutral or Lawful Good
    The only reason to go Lawful good is if you don’t want to have to worry about UMD checks when using pure good hand wraps. Lawful neutral is definitely the better choice, you will take less damage from mobs using unholy weapons and you can use taint of evil items with no penalty. It really is personal preference though and with the new alignment change it is not hard to swap at a later time.

Stats:

36 Point Build
    STR: 18
    DEX: 14 (With +3 Tome, 15 Dex if using +2 Tome)
    CON: 16
    INT: 6
    WIS: 16 (15 if you do not have a +3 Dex tome)
    CHA: 6

34 Point Build
    WIS: 15 (14 if you do not have a +3 Dex tome)

32 Point Build
    WIS: 14 (12 if you do not have a +3 Dex tome)

Level 25 Stat Analysis:

Strength
    18 + 2 Enhancements + 6 level ups +7 item +2 tome +4 Fire Stance +3 exceptional =
    42 Standing STR
    + 2 Rage Spell + 2 Yugloth Pots + 2 Madstone =
    48 Self Buffed STR
    + 5 Primal Scream (Does not stack with Rage Spell) + 4 Bard Song
    57 Self Buffed STR
    + 2 Madstone Proc +3 Epic Destinies =
    62 Situational STR (Now who said monks weren’t a DPS class )

Dexterity
    You need a 17 DEX to get Greater Two Weapon Fighting (GTWF). Be ready to eat at least a +1 DEX tome early on so the Two Weapon Fighting (TWF) feats can be taken as early as possible. Having a +3 Dex tome is huge for this build and has higher priority over any other +3 tome since it allows for better initial stat allocation.

B]Constitution[/B]
    16 + 7 item +2 tome +3 exceptional +10 Draconic +Toughness + Shroud HP Item + Enhancements =
    28 CON - 574 hp (basic gear)
    + 2 Rage Spell + 40hp Yugloth Pots + 4 Madstone =
    36 CON - 757 hp (basic gear)
    + 40 Double Madstone or Earth Stance 4
    40 CON - 807 hp or both 44 CON - 847 hp
    +4 Bard Song + 5 Primal Scream (Does not stack with Rage Spell)
    47 CON - 932 hp
    Epic Destinies also give 50-100+ Hit point bonuses depending on tree or twists. Not going to get to in depth with it but it is very possible to hit 1000 hit points. Even more so if you are really trying.

Intelligence
    Monks get enough skill points so a 6 base INT is all you really need. I do recommend picking up a +2 INT tome at level 7 for extra skill points if you can but it is not required.

Wisdom
    16 + 2 Enhancements + 2 Capstone +7 item +2 Tome +3 exceptional -2 Fire Stance =
    30 Standing WIS (32 Earth Stance)
    +2 Yugloth Pot + 2 Alchemical + 4 Epic Destinies + 4 Bard
    42 Fully Buffed WIS (44 Earth Stance)

Charisma
    Dump stat, only remotely useful for your Shining Star finisher DC. Eat a +2 tome if you want and call it a day.

Level 25 Final Stats in Fire Stance (Without Destinies):

42 STR: 18 + 6 level +2 Enhancements + 2 Tome + 7 item + 3 exceptional + 4 Fire Stance
    23 DEX: 14 + 3 Tome + 6 Item
    28 Con 16 + 2 Tome + 7 Item + 3 Exceptional
    8 INT 6 +2 Tome
    30 WIS 16 + 2 Tome + 7 Item +3 Exceptional +2 Capstone +2 Enhancements - 2 Fire Stance
    8 CHA 6 + 2 Tome

Feats:

1: Power Attack (PA)
    1: (Monk) Stunning Fist
    2: (Monk) Toughness
    3: (TR Build) Past Life: Disciple of the Fist, (No TR) Toughness
    3: (Path) Path of Inevitable Dominion
    6: Two Weapon Fighting
    6: (Monk) Dodge
    9: Improved Sunder
    12: Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    15: Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    18: Improved Critical Bludgeoning Weapons
    21: Improved Martial Arts
    24: Stunning Blow

Feat Analysis:

Power Attack:
    +5 to damage -5 to hit base and +8/-8 with max Half Orc Power Attack enhancements. The large penalty to hit makes no difference with the new bonus to hit you get from being proficient in your weapon and the increase in damage is extremely nice.

Two Weapon Fighting Chain
    Maxxed out allows you to have an 80% chance to proc an offhand attack. Obviously a huge DPS increase for any character. Monks are also the only class that receives full STR bonus in their off hand.

Dodge
    Requirement for Ninja Spy PRE, almost useless otherwise.

Improved Sunder
    Amazing ability with 3 effects. Most importantly it is a no save attack that lowers any enemies Fortitude save by -3 and stacks 5 times for a total -15 to enemies fortitude. This makes your Touch of Death hit for full damage more often which is a huge DPS increase. It also lowers the fortification by 10% and armor class by 5 if they fail their initial save. Huge DPS increase.

Past Life: Disciple of the Fist
    This is the main reason to do a TR on a monk. This feat adds an extra .5 W (1d3) damage to your attack. That is a nice damage increase and I feel it is required for any monk going for maximum DPS. Also on a related note the passive feat that you get at level one for TR'ing also give you a base +1 (up to +3) increase to your damage which goes nicely with your extra fist damage.

Path of Inevitable Dominion
    Your turn to the dark side. This is the sole choice that allows your monk access to Touch of Death and the Ninja Spy PRE. For leveling purposes I usually will recommend leveling to level 9 as Light Path then switching to Dark path when Touch of Death is available to you. It is an absolute blast running through the leveling quests being able to one shot beholders, elementals, orange names, and the rest of the trash.

Stunning Fist
    Monks and Stuns go hand in hand. This build can get a practically un-resistible even on epic elite stunning fist at level 25. Depending on destinies and twists I normally site between 60-62 DC stunning fist. When a mob is stunned you and your party do 1.5x damage each time they get hit. Monks also have the luxury of losing very little when using Weighted +10 wraps since there is a better selection of weighted wraps versus any other type of weighted weapon. Plus when you get to 22 you can now use the Seal of House Dun’ Robar with +10 Stunning mod and continue to use your best wraps. At end game any time you are fighting stunnable mobs you should be wearing weighted +10 wraps or the Seal of House Dun’ Robar. This is especially true in harder content, being able to help stun mobs that got missed by the mass hold or the ones that have high SR is a very valuable asset to your party.

Stunning Blow
    Lower DC than stunning fist but after having a second stun I would never want to go without it. It is very fun to go in and CC one mob then kill then stun and kill the other.

Toughness
    27 more hit points at level 25 and it unlocks Racial Toughness enhancements.

Improved Critical Bludgeoning Weapons
    Makes your fists crit on a 19-20/x2 vs. a 20/x2. Required feat for any DPS character.

Improved Martial Arts
    This feat adds an extra W (1d6) damage to your attack that stacks with the past life feat and all gear bonuses.

Skill Points:

Level 1:
    3 in Concentration, 1 in Tumble, 4 in Balance
    Levels 2-20 No +2 INT Tome
    + Concentration, + Balance
    8-20 With +2 INT Tome
    + Concentration, + Balance, + Spot

Skill Analysis:

Concentration
    Affects the amount of Ki you can hold on to before you start losing Ki and it affects the amount of Ki you start and instance with. Ki is your stored energy that allows you to use your elemental strikes, touch of death and all of your other cool monk abilities. I recommend using a Concentration item when you hit level 9 so you can store more Ki for TOD's.

Tumble
    The one point in tumble unlocks the ability to roll. You can put more points into it if you like and have the ability to do but flips but I can’t recommend putting more than 1 point in it.

Balance
    Helps you get up when you get knocked down. Great for any character and as a monk you will have a very high skill.

Spot
    Allows you to see stealthed enemies, pair this skill up with a Spot item like Tharnes goggles and you should be able to see almost any stealthed enemy at 25.

Sample Level 25 Enhancements:

Enhancement: Monk Serenity
    Enhancement: Orcish Extra Action Boost 1-3 (Level 20+ only, useless before Epic Destinies)
    Enhancement: Orcish Fury 1
    Enhancement: Orcish Power Attack 1-3
    Enhancement: Orcish Strength 1-2
    Enhancement: Static Charge
    Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortoise 1-4
    Enhancement: Touch of Death
    Enhancement: Porous Soul
    Enhancement: All-Consuming Flame
    Enhancement: Monk Ninja Spy 1-2
    Enhancement: Winter's Touch
    Enhancement: Adept of Rock
    Enhancement: Grandmaster of Mountains
    Enhancement: Master of Stone
    Enhancement: Adept of Flame
    Enhancement: Grandmaster of the Sun
    Enhancement: Master of Bonfire
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness 1-2
    Enhancement: Monk Jump 1-2
    Enhancement: Monk Tumble 1-2
    Enhancement: Monk Wisdom 1-2

Why Fire and Earth Stances:

Why Fire Stance
    Fire stance gives a +2 to hit and damage and gives a dramatic increase in Ki generation. Without being in Fire stance I am unable to use nonstop earth strikes, Touch of Death and Grandmaster destiny abilities.

With the right gear Fire stance gets the following benefits over Wind stance:
    + 20 hp
    + 1 Fortitude Save
    + 2 Stunning Blow Dc's
    + 2 Overrun Saves
    + 2 to hit
    + 2 to damage
    + Extra Ki Generation
    + 20 more hp from tortoise path (over Crane path with Wind stance)
    + 25% Healing Amp that stacks with all other sources (if wearing Jidz-Tet'ka Bracer's)

Why Earth Stance
    The Elemental Strikes provided by Earth stances are the highest DPS strikes in the game. Instead of adding a base elemental damage to your strike they add to the base physical damage of the attack itself with additional acid damage on a critical hit. This means that earth strikes damage gets multiplied on a crit, in addition to the extra acid damage.
    Grandmaster Earth Stance also gives an extra x1 crit multiplier which is great for when Ki generation is not a concern. I will usually switch to earth stance once I hit 150ish Ki when fighting a purple name. Earth Stance also is very useful for tanking since it is an extra 40 hit points from the +4 CON bonus, increases threat by 75% and it also gives you PRR.

Combos and Strikes (crash course)

Here is a sample of one of my Monk's many bars. I will be using this to illustrate how basic earth combo’s work, how to use shining star, and what normal strike progression should be.

1: Stunning Fist
    2: Touch of Death
    3: Earth Strike 4
    4: Earth Strike 3
    5: Earth Strike 2
    6: Finishing Moves
    7: Stunning Blow
    8: Improved Sunder
    9: Epic Destiny Ability (Haste Boosts, Drifting Lotus, Adrenaline, etc.)
    0: Shadowfade

Triple Earth Combo
    3, 4, 5, 6
    This attack cycles through my best three earth strikes which opens the Earth finisher which gives me an extra X2 to my crit multiplier. This attack should be used on all mobs that are not crit immune and this is the combo that you will be weaving in between Touch of Death and Stunning Blow.

Standard Mob Cycle
    1, 8, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 3, 4, 5, 6
    Open with Stunning Fist, then Improved Sunder, Touch of Death and begin your earth combo. Continue cycling through your earth combos until Improved Sunder & Touch of Death comes off timer or if you need to refresh Stunning Fist or use Stunning Blow.

Standard Boss Cycle
    8, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 3, 4, 5, 6

Pull out Stunning Fist/Blow and you are set, depending on the mobs weaknesses or if he cannot be critically hit you can always add in other strikes and remove using your combos completely.

You will basically have multiple bars for multiple situation the earth bar above is just my most used one. I have another bar for undead that has all my fire strikes added to it and another with the negative energy strike and all my earth strikes. Make yourself 3-4 bars and play around with different set ups until you find the one that is the most comfortable.

Ninja Spy PRE:

The Ninja Spy PRE that was introduced in update 5 is amazing for this build. Ninja Spy 2 gives an incredible 3d6 Sneak Attack Damage to any attack that we don’t have agro or if the mob is stunned (see what I mean about stuns and Monk's).

It also allows use of the Shadow Fade ability that is not only an invisibility clickie it also gives your character a 25% incorporeality bonus. This equals a huge drop in incoming damage from every mob in the game, the difference between DQ2 Epic with Shadow Fade and without is insane. The Queen usually misses at least 1 in 3 swings, which for a Lawful Monk is a lot of reduced damage.

Epic Destinies:

http://ddodestiny.info/#

As it stands currently there are 3 main Epic DPS trees for Monks. It is hard to tell at this point which one will be the best since 2 of those trees have pretty bugged for Handwraps.

Grandmaster of Flowers

Benefits: Highest Fist damage (9.5W at 25 in Fire Stance no buffs), Highest Stunning Fist and Blow DC, Lay on Hands, Immunity to Knockdown, 3% Double Strike, 1.5W extra W in Fire Stance, +3 Attack and Damage, awesome AOE stun kick with high DC AOE trip, Incredible Epic Moment AOE install kill with 60+ save DC.

Best Abilities to twist: A Dance of Flowers (1.5W), Hail of Blows (3% Doublestrike)

Legendary Dreadnought

Benefits: +50 HP, 11 Haste Boosts, 11 Damage Boosts, +6 Combat Tacticts DC, +6 Crit Damage, +7 to hit and damage, +1 Crit Modifier, Damage Reduction Clickie, Fortitude save clickie, Highest Str, 50% Helpless damage when action boost is active

Bugged abilities for Monks: Momentum Swing, Lay Waste, any ability that says "weapons" will not work, no monk abilities or improved sunder raises counter on Master's Blitz.

Best Abilities to twist: Legendary Tactics (+6 Combat Tactics), Action Boost: Haste, Extra Action Boost

Fury of the Wild

Benefits: +100 HP, AOE Scream giving +5 Str and Con (will not stack with rage), +30% Helpless damage and a stacking +1d8 damage below 75% HP, 1d12 damage below 50% HP and 1d20 when below 25% HP. When raged you recieve: 1d12 extra damage, +2 Wisdom, +6 Balance, +6 Listen, +6 Spot, +6 Concentration and+3 Saves Vs Traps. You also get an attack that gives +400% Weapon damage but currently you do not recieve the +16 crit range. Your epic destiny also give you the same damage and broken crit boost but it goes off every other attack for 30 seconds.

Bugged abilities for Monks: All forms of Adrenaline do not give the +16 crit range including the epic moment.

Best Abilities to twist: Tunnel Vision (1d12 damage when raged), Primal Scream (AOE +5 Str and Con), Sense Weakness

My end game layouts with maximum fate points will look like this currently:

Primary: Grandmaster of Flowers
    Twists: Action Boost: Haste, Legendary Tactics, Extra Action Boosts

Primary: Fury of the Wild
    Twists: A Dance of Flowers, Action Boost: Haste, Legendary Tactics or Extra Action Boosts

Primary: Legendary Dreadnought
    Twists: Sense Weakness, A Dance of Flowers

Hand wrap Choices:

For Endgame you want to make sure your wraps say Absolute Minimum Level 20 on them, this gives you an extra W (1d6) damage a swing that stacks with everything

Levels 1-10: For leveling purposes until you can get weighted wraps I recommend the Delera or Thernal Named (no minimum level bound to account) wraps or if you can make a set of nice lowbie wraps with the icy burst kits that would be ideal. I have a ML 6 pair of +1 Shocking Burst, Icy Burst of Bleed hand wraps that makes leveling oh so easy.

Levels 10-25: While leveling and for questing you are going to want the best Weighted +10 wraps you can find to help increase your stun DC. You should strive for wraps like X Burst of Weighted 10, Annihilating of Weighted 10 and Dynamo of Weighted 10. Usually if the mob can be stunned you should be using your weighted wraps. Once you get your Seal of House Dun’ Robar or Triple Air Alchemical Wraps you can safely retire your loot-gen stunning wraps. For mobs that can’t be stunned see below.

Level 20+: The Alchemical wraps are extremely nice and I would recommend crafting a pair or two if you have access to run the Lord of Blades Raid.

Level 20-24+: The new Evening Star Challenges drop materials that you can turn in for a chance at a nice pair of Amaunator Ascetic's Handwraps. The wraps are bind on equip so not only can you farm these yourself you can also buy them off the Auction house. The ML 20 versions have 2 damage mods and 1 other mod while the level 24 versions have 3 damage mods with 1 other mods. When you get yourself a nice set of these wraps you can safely retire most of your other wraps. I would also recommend finding yourself a nice set of smiting and disruption wraps since they give an extra 4d6 damage and 100 extra damage on a 20.

For Example My Monk uses the Following Hand wraps:

+6 Amaunator Ascetic's Handwraps: Icy Burst, Lightning Strike, Improved Destruction and Fracturing – My all-purpose wraps that work on almost anything. Bought these for a million plat on the AH and have never regretted my purchase
    +6 Metalline of Mauling: Good all-purpose DR breaking wraps that work on all devils and outsiders. Will eventually be replaced with greater banes
    +4 Annihilating of Smiting: My Construct and portal beaters.
    +6 Anarchic Burst of Smiting: Marut beaters
    +5 Holy of Disruption: Undead Beater
    +4 Annihilating of Greater Elemental Bane: Elemental Bane wraps

Breaking Boss Damage Reduction:

Getting hand wraps that can break DR can be a big challenge for monks and for some it won’t be possible until after they hit 20 and have a Tower of Despair ring and Metalline/Silver/Cold Iron hand wraps. The other options besides waiting for Tower rings (or a lucky AH or reward) is to farm the "Devout Hand wraps". The Devout Hand wraps are +2 Metalline of Pure Good wraps that drop from the Bonus Chest in the Shadow Crypt Quest. These are amazing hand wraps for their level (ML 8), they are very hard to farm as you will need an opener for the quest and the dungeon itself is one giant puzzle.

Remember if you can’t break boss DR you should be using the best Greater Evil/Lawful/Chaotic Outsider set of wraps you can find and be doing everything you can to get that Tower ring faster. The crafting trophies are bound to account so getting 9 of them should be easy (if you have other characters) and remember you can enchant any unwanted junk ring just for the Holy Burst effect to bypass DR.

I recommend the following to help farm those wraps:

Do the quest chain on an alt so you can open the quest when you want to farm it, word of warning though at least one of the quests in the series requires at least 4 people. I used gold seal hirelings but hopefully you have friends or guildies that can help. Oh and don’t complete the final quest on your opener unless you want to have to run the pre quests all over again.

The quest is the best XP in the game at this level so it shouldn’t be that hard to get a group together for it, personally when I was running it I would tell the other players that its 20K + XP a run, that I would take care of all the puzzle and all I ask that they would just give me the wraps when they drop. I was running the quest after I ran out of XP and after ransacking the last chest so I did not let any competition in for the wraps.

Here is the link to the map I used to navigate the quest; you are going to need 4 of each color gear to get the bonus chest every time. I recommend printing this out or setting it up on a second monitor when you are doing the farming:

http://www.themacguild.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533

First couple runs might be confusing but once you get the hang of the map you can do them in 20 minute runs.

My Current Level 25 Gear Choices (This is how I have my monk geared. It is but one of many options. There are many different ways to gear a monk and I am not saying my set up is 100% optimal. This is simply an easier set up for a new or returning player):

Head Slot: Purple Dragon Helm - Constitution +7, Insightful Strength +2

Neck Slot: Shintao Cord (You’re going to want the Shintao set bonus)

Trinket: Sustaining Symbiont - Greater False Life, Exceptional Fort 10%, Exceptional Con +1

Cloak: Drow Piwafwi - Sneak Attack Bonus +5

Belt: Epic Spare Hand - +5 Combat Mastery (Stun DC+), 3% Double strike, slotted with Heavy Fortification and +1 exceptional stat

Ring #1: Shintao Ring - +6 Wis, +1 Exceptional Str

Ring #2: Seal of Dun’ Robar - +10 Stunning, +7 Str or Second TOD ring - Enchanted with Shocking Burst, Acid Bust etc. (to swap in on stun immune mobs and bosses)

**Your rings are your weapons, one of your rings will be dedicated to the Shintao ring while the other finger can rotate believe the Seal of Dun’ Robar and any other TOD ring enchanted with an elemental type. I recommend enchanting your Shintao ring with Holy Burst and having a variety of other rings enchanted with other elemental bursts. Below are the ring sets that work with unarmed combat, any ring set I do not mention below will not work with fists.**

Frenzied Berserker Set (+2 to damage)
    War priest Set (+2 to hit)
    Shintao Set (+2 to hit and damage that stacks)
    Oremi's Set (Henshin Mystic)(1d6 Fire Damage an attack)
    If you want a couple of extra rings with different elements it doesn’t matter which ones you use, just please don’t take a nice melee ring that won’t work with fists.

Gloves: Shroud HP Item

Boots: Upgraded Madstone Boots - +2 STR and +4 CON clickie with a hidden 10% proc to give a stacking +2 STR and +4 CON and +4/+6 DEX, these boot's should be nailed to your feet especially since you can now drink guild remove curse pots while raged

Bracers: Bracers of the Sun Soul - +7 Wisdom, Insightful Con +2, Superior Parrying (+4 to saves that stacks)

Robes: Spider-spun Caparison - Insightful Wisdom +3, Resistance +6, Enhanced Ki +1, Reinforced Fists, Concentration +15, Toughness

Goggles: Lenses of the Woodsman (only because below goggles are currently bugged) -True Seeing, +3 to Attach, Seeker +6
    Drow Smoke Goggles (when manslayer effect is fixed) - Blindness Immunity, Manslayer (bugged), Seeker +6

Character link: http://ddocrafting.info/index.php?se...kup%21&p=myddo
    Last edited by Hydro; 08-16-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Build should be good now. Let me know if I missed anything or if people want something else added.
    Last edited by Hydro; 08-09-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Head Slot
    Purple Dragon Helm (Toughness + Heavy Fort, easiest and fastest to get)
    Constitution +7, Insightful Strength +2
    pdk helm doesn't have toughness / heavy fort.

I'm assuming your referencing the minos?

Edit.
    nvm, saw you ninjad me whilst i was double checking.

Edit 2.
    Looking at your feat progression, surely taking twf earlier than level 6 would be a bigger boost to dps than the monk past life feat.
    Last edited by fTdOmen; 08-09-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post

Edit 2.
    Looking at your feat progression, surely taking twf earlier than level 6 would be a bigger boost to dps than the monk past life feat.
    Debatable really, an extra 1d6 damage goes a long way at level 3 maybe even longer then a 20% chance at a second attack.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
    Debatable really, an extra 1d6 damage goes a long way at level 3 maybe even longer then a 20% chance at a second attack.
    You get level to 6 so fast that it doesn't really matter anyway
    Distributed - Currently on life 80.

Community Member Wraith_Sarevok's Avatar

I'd just like to say that this build is INSANELY powerful in the current endgame.

I've run with him several times on my pure THF max DPS Half-Orc Barbarian 20 / Epic 5 / Legendary Dreadnought 5 using an ESoS, and he's been able to out-DPS me on more than one occasion.

He's also the only monk I've ever met that can meet or beat my kill count score sheet in just about every quest. Very easy to level, easy to build; gear is a bit of a grind though because of all the bugs and lootgens required, but it's all within acceptable limits even to a casual player. Best monk ever!
    Khyber: Iqus Tres (Half-Orc Barbarian 20 / Epic 5 / Legendary Dreadnought 5), Ixupi (Drow Sorcerer 20), Outlake (Warforged 7 Monk-in-progress), Petroglyph (Warforged Artificer 16)

Hero

If you're approaching 1k HP, have you considered dropping your Green Steel 45 HP gloves for other options?

eClaw Gloves + eClaw Bracers would allow you to slot GFL and +1 exceptional CON in the Spare Hand and free up your trinket slot. It's trading off 10% exceptional Fortification, Superior Parrying and 45 hp (and whatever secondary Green Steel effect they have) for +4 damage, 30% Healing Amp, and Planar Focus + Planar Conflux.

If I was going to play a 20 Monk, this is the build I would use. Well done.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

There are tons of different gear choices out there right now and Claw is a great choice. I just have been working way to much to do any Old epic farming. Plus I need to figure out how to fit all the gear in that I need (Sneak Attack, Seeker, Manslayer etc.). The gear set up I listed above is actually fairly easy to get for anyone and then you can work on the harder to farm epic gear.

+1

Great build and one of the best overall build write ups I've seen on these forums. The detailed explanations and examples are outstanding!

How do you think this build would translate when switching to half-elf vs. half-orc. Obviously loss of strength and PA enhancements but would that be made up for in anyway by the rogue dilletante or half-elf racial stat boosts and healing amp?
    Last edited by Roland_D'Arabel; 08-11-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    Persius, Equus, Maeric, Khaaldun, Robotcoupe
    The Exploration Society ~ Thelanis

2016 DDO Players Council Hobgoblin's Avatar

i like this build!

I used to hate monks and then i rolled a light path horc monk (with lots of mistakes)

thinking of doing this for my next life - cause i dont have monk pl yet on this guy

keeping everything the same or close to it -

would earth stance be valid as well as fire?

thanks
    hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_D'Arabel View Post
    How do you think this build would translate when switching to half-elf vs. half-orc. Obviously loss of strength and PA enhancements but would that be made up for in anyway by the rogue dilletante or half-elf racial stat boosts and healing amp?
    You summed up the differences between helf and horc perfectly, Your dps with agro will be less, however if you're getting sneak attacks, you'll be doing noticeably more dps than the half orc.

horc gets +2 racial str enhancements for 6ap
    +3 power attack for 6ap
    +2 starting str ahead of a helf
    net gain
    (5 damage per swing) -1 to hit over normal powerattack users.

helf
    +3d6 sneak attack rogue dil - 6ap
    net gain
    10.5 damage per swing when sneak attacking and +6ap

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    You have max ranks in earth stance purely for the ki strikes so you can swap as you like anyway. Imo, If your in grandmaster of flowers as a pure monk with +2 ki regen and a +1 ki item, it will suffice when you have aggro and are getting hit often. Eventually though, you will find yourself running out of ki in earth stance if you're utilizing your ki strikes to their fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    i like this build!

I used to hate monks and then i rolled a light path horc monk (with lots of mistakes)

thinking of doing this for my next life - cause i dont have monk pl yet on this guy

keeping everything the same or close to it -

thanks
    hob
    Earth stance is great when Ki isnt a concern. For trash I go fire, bosses Fire until 150 reserve Ki and then swap to earth.

Half Elve's are a good choice, but with Orc you dont have to worry about Fortification or SA Immune mobs to do max damage. If I was to go Half Elf I would personally build more towards a survivability build with Cleric Dilante.

A Half Elf Monk with Rogue Dilante can slightly outdps a Half Orc if the mob has 0 Fortification and is stunned but for purple names, undeads, contructs and elementals the Half Orc is going to pull way ahead. The Half Elf also has a harder time with starting stats. Even as a 36 point build you will not be able to start with a base 18 STR, 14 Dex (TWF), 16 Con (Max Earth Strikes) and a 16 Wisdom. Half Elves make good monks, I just feel Half Orcs make stronger builds.
    Last edited by Hydro; 08-14-2012 at 06:03 PM.

By going with Horc over Helf you also miss out on additional healing amp and human adaptability.

So basically,

+1 skill points when leveling
    +2 stats in Dex or +2 stats in any two abilities
    An additional 20% healing amp
    Cleric heal scrolls (w/o UMD) or Rogue SA (3d6)
    Easier to drink silver flame pots (6 base cha + 2 tome + 2 ship is only 10)

-vs-

+4 strength (+2 starting, +2 enhancements)
    +3 Damage w/ power attack

What am I missing? A lot of versatility seems to be lost to get +5 base damage and +1 To-hit.

Overall great build though. My main monk has been Horc two of his lives, he looked awesome if nothing else
    Captains Crew, Ghallanda
    Tweakfoo (Monk, 7th Life) | Tweakbot (Wizard, 8th Life) | Tweakit (Bladeforged Fighter Mutt, 16th Life, Completionist)

Quote Originally Posted by mrtweakin View Post
    By going with Horc over Helf you also miss out on additional healing amp and human adaptability.

So basically,

+1 skill points when leveling
    +2 stats in Dex or +2 stats in any two abilities
    An additional 20% healing amp
    Cleric heal scrolls (w/o UMD) or Rogue SA (3d6)
    Easier to drink silver flame pots (6 base cha + 2 tome + 2 ship is only 10)

-vs-

+4 strength (+2 starting, +2 enhancements)
    +3 Damage w/ power attack

What am I missing? A lot of versatility seems to be lost to get +5 base damage and +1 To-hit.

Overall great build though. My main monk has been Horc two of his lives, he looked awesome if nothing else
    Action boosts for epic destenies, being able to start with 18 Str, 16 Con and 16 Wis, and not looking like a half elf. Plus the other benifits I listed above.

Like I said before, Half Elves make good monks. This build is still a small amount of damage higher on rednames and looks like a badass.

Red face

Half Elve's are a good choice, but with Orc you dont have to worry about Fortification or SA Immune mobs to do max damage. If I was to go Half Elf I would personally build more towards a survivability build with Cleric Dilante.

A Half Elf Monk with Rogue Dilante can slightly outdps a Half Orc if the mob has 0 Fortification and is stunned but for purple names, undeads, contructs and elementals the Half Orc is going to pull way ahead. The Half Elf also has a harder time with starting stats. Even as a 36 point build you will not be able to start with a base 18 STR, 14 Dex (TWF), 16 Con (Max Earth Strikes) and a 16 Wisdom. Half Elves make good monks, I just feel Half Orcs make stronger builds.
    Hm, do you know how easy it is to bypass large amounts of fortification post U14?
    Do you know how important it is to be able to drink SF pots?
    Do you know how important hamp is?
    Do you know how ugly horcs are?
    Do you know what Human Versatility enhancement line is?
    Do you know that monk past life active feat adds 1d3 and not 1d6 to your base damage? (It's +1 on the unarmed damage chart, not +1[w])
    Do you know that 10.5 SA dmg per swing is better than +5dmg per swing when your toon is DPSing and not tanking? (after all this is a DPS build, right?)
    Do you know that monks can *force* the SA dmg by stunning the mobs that are aggroed on them?

Just my 2 cents on DPS monks

PS: Gloves/Bracers Claw Set (red fens) far better than the Sun Soul set bonus
    Argonnessen - Zerg Zerg
    Main: Dalsheel, Warlock
    Alts: Elralia, Wizard // Nesnibtan, FvS

Quote Originally Posted by IxidorGR View Post
    Hm, do you know how easy it is to bypass large amounts of fortification post U14? Black Scale Robe 10% (cant wear due to the new awesome robes in expansion), Precision (Not giving up Power Attack aka +8 to damage), Improved Sunder (does not reliably land in Epic Hard/Elite Raids), GMOF ability (15% good choice), Shadowdancer twist (15% not worth a tier 3 twist)
    Do you know how important it is to be able to drink SF pots? (SF pots are nice but you will hopefully be able to find a spot to slot +CHA)
    Do you know how important hamp is? (Healing amp is nice, but you still get Monk Enhancements and personally I find my monk to be enhancement starved as it is)
    Do you know how ugly horcs are? (Opinion, personally I think they look awesome)
    Do you know what Human Versatility enhancement line is? (Another very nice ability, damage boosts are very nice, personally I dont like the delay in activating boosts and with haste boost I can use imp sunder right after to reduce the delay)
    Do you know that monk past life active feat adds 1d3 and not 1d6 to your base damage? (It's +1 on the unarmed damage chart, not +1[w]) (My mistake, updated guide)
    Do you know that 10.5 SA dmg per swing is better than +5dmg per swing when your toon is DPSing and not tanking? (after all this is a DPS build, right?) (Half Orc PA is +8 to damage, 3.5 damage less a swing but fortification has no effect on it)
    Do you know that monks can *force* the SA dmg by stunning the mobs that are aggroed on them? (Like I said Monks and Stuns go hand in hand)

Just my 2 cents on DPS monks

PS: Gloves/Bracers Claw Set (red fens) far better than the Sun Soul set bonusLots of good options for gear out there, one of them is definitely the Claw set
    As much as people scream that Half Elf is so much superior I would like someone to make a Half Elf build that has 18 starting STR, 16 Starting WIS, high enough Con for Grandmaster Earth and enough DEX for TWF chain... Even as a 36 point build with +4 tomes I would have to drop STR or WIS to get everything I need.

Quote Originally Posted by IxidorGR View Post
    Do you know how ugly horcs are?
    Not as much as half-elves, that's for sure.
    Distributed - Currently on life 80.

This looks like a brilliant build and excellent work updating it for u15. I've got a 2nd life monk (the one in my sig) that I'll take through this build on a 3rd life, but I'll be trying to get a +3 tome first.

So, do you only switch to Earth against bosses and Fire for all the trash?
    Officer and Webmaster for Fallen Immortals, a guild of Thelanis.

Toons: Aryllia (main), Dayanmak, Devhead, Gezgin, Kutsal Ruh, Toprak

As much as people scream that Half Elf is so much superior I would like someone to make a Half Elf build that has 18 starting STR, 16 Starting WIS, high enough Con for Grandmaster Earth and enough DEX for TWF chain... Even as a 36 point build with +4 tomes I would have to drop STR or WIS to get everything I need.
    Easy

18 +4 tome +4 levels
    13 +4 tome = twf chain
    13 +4 tome +1level = grandmaster earth
    8 +4 tome
    16 +4 tome
    8 +4 tome

I'm not really of the opinion that helves are superior however, I think they're both so close it comes entirely down to playstyle and mindset.

That said, I'll be going half elf, having an unbalancing strike dc of 50+, theoretically, even when tanking i'll be getting full sneak attack, thus doing more dps than a half orc.

(note, i realise it's not a smart distribution of stat points, as starting with 17,13,15,8,16,8 would net me more points overall, but answering the quote.)
    Last edited by fTdOmen; 08-15-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast