Community Member

Default Stone of Change binding cost

Anyone else notice low level stuff is costing 400 Khyber shards to bind instead of minimum level squared?

I bound one level 6 battle plate, +4 Con necklace and +4 Str gloves, and a level 9 cloak.
    Of these, only the cloak took 81 shards as expected. All the others took 400 despite displaying a normal minimum level and not having anything fancy.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NStriker View Post
    Anyone else notice low level stuff is costing 400 Khyber shards to bind instead of minimum level squared?

I bound one level 6 battle plate, +4 Con necklace and +4 Str gloves, and a level 9 cloak.
    Of these, only the cloak took 81 shards as expected. All the others took 400 despite displaying a normal minimum level and not having anything fancy.
    Appears to be a new bug. Not sure turbine have acknowledged it. I haven't reported it myself as I thought I was doing something wrong the other day when my binding attempts kept failing. Now I realised its because I was only putting in min level squared shards (and I didn't have 400 any way)

I am pretty sure they changed the minimum levels on random gen jewelry/clothing from (enchantment level * 2 + 1) to (enchantment level * 2 - 1). This did (at least) two things...

1. Matched them up with Cannith crafting.
    2. Apparently borked them for SOC rituals.

My explanation for the battle plate is the new armor types are borked too. Can you believe it? Clothing, jewelry, and armor borked, BUT NOT HANDWRAPS!! It's a brave new world.

Community Member

Unhappy

What do you mean exactly by "low level stuff"?

According to this wiki page, it should only cost 400 Khyber shards if the item is either min level 20 or if it has no min level. And the latter is an old, outstanding bug.

But then, the wiki page seems to be outdated and/or a bit inaccurate/incomplete. For example, it says this ritual can be applied to "All items that can be equipped (except quivers)". But when I tried putting a rune arm in the Stone of Change (Chimera's Breath) I got a strange message saying that some force repels it away from the altar (or something to that effect).

Perhaps this is related to my issue:

I can't bind and attune (Stone of Change: Binding/Attuning Ritual I) my +3 Undead Guard Battle Docent (minimum level 8, unbound). I also can't bind and attune my +5 Voltaic Collar (min. level 16, binds to character on acquire, bound to character). Neither of these is a named item.

I tried to use a stack of 270 Khyber Dragonshard Fragments, which should be more than enough for either item.

I keep getting a "Stone of Change failure!" message. I tried quitting the game entirely and trying again 2 hours later... still fails.

Is it like Kinerd suggests that the darned thing is bugged? (I guess I'll have to save up at least 400 shards to see if that will do it.)

Another question: Was I supposed to bind and attune the handwraps BEFORE i turn them into a collar? (it was created from randomly found handwraps).

Someone on in-game chat suggested that the reason the collar is rejected is because it is already bound to character and you can't use the binding/attuning ritual on a bound item. I contest that notion because I was able to successfully use the binding/attuning ritual on my Spiked Turban (binds to character on aquire) and my Bloodrage Symbiont (binds to character on aquire).

This is frustrating. And it's just one of many things about DDO that's frustrating. If the only way to get this to work is to do it before turning handwraps into collars, DDO or the wiki should have made that clear.

Community Member

It's a wiki. The people who did the relevant pages likely didn't know. Please remember to edit it yourself should you confirm this to be the case.

It used to be a cost of level squared but only for items that had a minimum level listed.
    That wouldn't be new and made all the level-less items cost 400 shards (as if they were lv 20)

What can be new is if they indeed changed costs recently in relation to cannith or the new level cap.
    Besides the new formula please post if there's other changes.

Quote Originally Posted by donfilibuster View Post
    It used to be a cost of level squared but only for items that had a minimum level listed.
    That wouldn't be new and made all the level-less items cost 400 shards (as if they were lv 20)

What can be new is if they indeed changed costs recently in relation to cannith or the new level cap.
    Besides the new formula please post if there's other changes.

Believe any item takes 400 to bind now...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Welcome to Argo, where our end game players are constantly striving for new and exciting ways to make themselves more gimp, and continually working towards progressively more pointless goals.
    BYOH. Know it, abide by it, or don't mess with those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by Habreno View Post
    Believe any item takes 400 to bind now...
    Oh ok, well, hard to say if bug, could be one of those cant-fix-make-wai cases.
    Let's bug report it to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by donfilibuster View Post
    Oh ok, well, hard to say if bug, could be one of those cant-fix-make-wai cases.
    Let's bug report it to be on the safe side.
    If nothing else, you have to appreciate the cynical, utterly disinterested elegance of the solution.