Default Cormyrian Weapons

Id rather ask if somone can confirm a few things before i get some major gambling on.

• Can they come with metal types? Ie: Silver, Adam, Cold Iron ..
    • Do they have a higher base damage for all versions ? Im most interested in the lvl16 ones.
    • Can they get exceptional with added prefixes/suffixes? or is it locked in for 1 each basically equal to random stuff?

Im looking for some TR sticks, the greensteel is boring now, alchemical is too much time to invest with pugging, looking for some alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Id rather ask if somone can confirm a few things before i get some major gambling on.

• Can they come with metal types? Ie: Silver, Adam, Cold Iron ..
    • Do they have a higher base damage for all versions ? Im most interested in the lvl16 ones.
    • Can they get exceptional with added prefixes/suffixes? or is it locked in for 1 each basically equal to random stuff?

Im looking for some TR sticks, the greensteel is boring now, alchemical is too much time to invest with pugging, looking for some alternatives.
    From my experience:

Metal types: Level 24s can, but the metal type appears to replace a DPS modifier (e.g. your fourth effect might be Cold Iron, but it might instead be Bleeding).

Base damage: Level 20-24s are increased base damage. 16 I do not know (but it's very, very fast to make a level 16 one if you want to check)

Suffixes etc: You get 3 (level 20) or 4 (24) affixes. For 24s, these are:
    First affix: A DPS effect that applies every swing (eg Flaming Burst, Slicing)
    Second affix: A DPS effect that does not proc often (eg Steam, Disintegration)
    Third affix: A non-damaging effect (eg Strength Sapping, Wounding, Stunning 10)
    Fourth affix: Something that fits the theme of 'Physical'. Bleed, Cold Iron, and there's definitely other effects possible.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Oh well.

Here is what i got:
    Challenge Vendor lvl16 -- Greatsword

+4
    base damage (not buffed) 2d6
    Screaming (1d6 Sonic)
    Magma Surge (T3 GS effect)
    Stunning +8

My major concern here is the unelevated base damage, really at least the GS boost of 1.5W would have been nice, it kinda defeats my idea of *alternative*.

This one is going straight to vendor.

If they ever wanna make these things halfway attractive these are the buffs i recommend.

1, make it +5, really guys, ...really ...so cheap
    2, make it have that 1.5W
    3, On the last affix make it high chance for metal type, and lowish chance to get metalline.

What you got is likely better than most, Stunning 8 is a pretty strong effect.

Think of it as comparable to a tier 2 GS, it takes about the same time to make.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    What you got is likely better than most, Stunning 8 is a pretty strong effect.

Think of it as comparable to a tier 2 GS, it takes about the same time to make.
    I agree that stunning is very useful, however damage output wise, this sword for lvl16 is rather weak. Its a +4, 1d6 sonic weapon. From my experience the magma proc is fairly low, by the time it is triggered the monsters are likely to be beaten down to low hp anyway.

I dont expect it to equal Green Steel, they are really easy to get, but not too likely to get a good one.

I personally like the gambling to it, id prefer to have bta ingredients tho. Further if i get something desirable, however none of my characters could use it, id appreciate a binding on equip so i could auction it.

As Sirgog said, that's actually one of the better possible pulls.
    Don't expect Cormyrian weapons to be overwhelmingly awesome: All the challenge turn-in gives right now is effectively a random-loot gen item of decent value for its level.
    In essence, this means you're likely to pull something slightly to somewhat better than a random item of equal level- and with more effects, especially if you're looking at <20 items- but you may also pull something that's worse than random loot gen items (especially, it seems, for spell effects). Expect it to at best compare with low-value named items, but otherwise never to match with, and certainly not to exceed named items in ability.

It's this low-impact value combined with the complete randomness of the turn-in mechanic that has had people complaining- enthusiastically, and to great length- about the challenge mechanic.

While I'll be waiting for a change to the system before I turn in any ingredients, those I've run with have managed to pull decent gear about 1 in 6 tries. Is it gear that'll replace even a low quality named item for a slot? No, I've yet to see anything that comes close: Except, perhaps, for high level DR-breaking handwraps. And that only for the situational element for non-Shintaos.
    Is it gear that'll match up to (non-spellcasting) random gen items, and possibly exceed them? Yes.

So, in the end, if you're hard up for decent loot- say, if you're newish to the game- it's a valid use of your time.
    Otherwise, you're best off stockpiling as you wait for a change to the system.

tl;dr version: Don't expect anything drastically different from what you just pulled for the time being.
    Last edited by Dagolar; 08-04-2012 at 03:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    I agree that stunning is very useful, however damage output wise, this sword for lvl16 is rather weak. Its a +4, 1d6 sonic weapon. From my experience the magma proc is fairly low, by the time it is triggered the monsters are likely to be beaten down to low hp anyway.

I dont expect it to equal Green Steel, they are really easy to get, but not too likely to get a good one.

I personally like the gambling to it, id prefer to have bta ingredients tho. Further if i get something desirable, however none of my characters could use it, id appreciate a binding on equip so i could auction it.
    Magma Surge is overall about the same strength as Flaming Burst and Slowburst combined (2% proc for ~280 total damage over time, plus the Slow effect). It's better than you give it credit for but not awesome.

It's far from best in slot, but should be better than 99% of random lootgen at least.

Magma Surge is overall about the same strength as Flaming Burst and Slowburst combined (2% proc for ~280 total damage over time, plus the Slow effect). It's better than you give it credit for but not awesome.

It's far from best in slot, but should be better than 99% of random lootgen at least.
    no.

Carnifex out dps that thing. lvl4 weapon, carnifex. Look it up.

Devs do NOT know how to design useful two handers, havent for years.

Progression is, and has been for over 2 years:
    lvl1: new player: Ember. Veteran: Maelstrom
    lvl4: Carnifex
    lvl12-18: Tier2/3 Greensteel. Double/trip pos or Mineral2 or both depending on how rich/how devoted you are. Also make a blunt one before you tackle abbot or similarly difficult undead content.
    lvl20 initial: epic antique. Grind a lot of snitch, just do it. it rocks and snitch is a joke to run on epic n/h now. Even EE should be fine in most pugs as long as you get 1 decently skilled/geared player.
    lvl25 (probably by the time u get it, tho useable at 20): esos

all other weapons deserve to be burned in a fire. (or vendored, your choice)
    Last edited by Shade; 08-04-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    no.

Carnifex out dps that thing. lvl4 weapon, carnifex. Look it up.

Devs do NOT know how to design two handers, havent for years.

lvl12-18: Tier2/3 Greensteel. Double/trip pos or Mineral2 or both depending on how rich/how devoted you are. Also make a blunt one before you tackle abbot or similarly difficult undead content.
    lvl20 initial: epic antique. Grind a lot of snitch, just do it. it rocks and snitch is a joke to run on epic n/h now. Even EE should be fine in most pugs as long as you get 1 decently skilled/geared player.

all other weapons deserve to be burned in a fire. (or vendored, your choice)
    Carnifex is rubbish once you hit high enough level to have Improved Critical: Slashing. You need over 70 base damage for it to equal a +2 Holy Falchion, and 70 base damage doesn't come about until upper middle levels when you can get a tier 2 greensteel.

Mineral 2s are obviously obsolete now, crafted items are better on DR bosses, and Lit 2s utterly outclass Min 2s on everything else. Noone with an understanding of the game makes them now.

Carnifex is rubbish once you hit high enough level to have Improved Critical: Slashing. You need over 70 base damage for it to equal a +2 Holy Falchion, and 70 base damage doesn't come about until upper middle levels when you can get a tier 2 greensteel.

Mineral 2s are obviously obsolete now, crafted items are better on DR bosses, and Lit 2s utterly outclass Min 2s on everything else. Noone with an understanding of the game makes them now.
    Don't agree.

Falcions really only work on bosses, for the dps to matter, you need a lot of swings. Else the times three crit puts you into a place where you can 1 shot most mobs at lvl on n/h, sometimes elite with strong buffs. Falcions just dont do that, and imo overall slow down quests due to it.

And no, mineral2 are not at all obsolete. Not until you get a epic antique, which while sometimes fast, can sometimes take a bit, so its worth having one for the mean time. And even then it still has a purpose for many cases.

Because, no, not everyone has lvl80 crafting. Especially not new players who lack min2s and/or epic antiques.

Plus theres tons other scenarios where its just easier and better to have one. Tons of smart players still make them. I certainly still do, infact i made one last week. Insulting to tell me otherwise.

Just a few:
    -Stoneskin clicky. Cannith crafting doesnt give you that
    -Heavy acid dmg. run the shroud? ofcourse you do, sometimes you want that troll prepd, its actaully not that easy on H/E without an acid wep to negate his regen.
    -Running with the devils.. Awesome awesome xp quest... No other weapon in teh game that can handle its DR at-lvl. ALL serious TRs have mineral 2s, if only for this reason alone.

And i grow tried of this arguement, youve brought it like 5 times over the years,a nd each time ive proven you wrong, im not going to respond further. To think min2 is obsolete is just lacking in overall scope of vision. Think bigger and the advantages are clear. Its lost its "be all - end all- weapon" trophy sure, but certainly hasn't lost its worthiness of being crafted.
    Last edited by Shade; 08-04-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Or if you were able to make a Min2 but only spend the large ingredients to make an Earth2.

Occasionally, Turbine's bugs can be used in your favor, if you guess right about how those bugs will be fixed.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Don't agree.
    It's Shade ... vs ... Sirgog!

/popcorn
    Khyber, Leader of Elite Empire: Veryunique - Wiz20/Epic8 (PM, PL: Clr,Fvs), Skullcrshr - Pal20/Epic8 (PL: Barb, Ftrx2),
    Elsir - Brd12/Ftr4/Rog2/Epic7 (Swash, PL: Rgr,Mnk,Rog,Art,Drd,Clr), TheMadness - Sorc 14 (PL: Sorc, Wiz, Clr)

Default Fight!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalDad View Post
    It's Shade ... vs ... Sirgog!

/popcorn
    This should probably be my new sig.
    Bronko Lawbringer
    Founder, Guild Leader, & Official Meat Shield™ of THAC0 on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    Make Gazebo cry.
    www.thaczero.net

Community Member

lvl1: new player: Ember. Veteran: Maelstrom Crafter: Screaming greatsword of bleeding.
    lvl3: holy greatsword of bleeding

lvl5:Holy Silver X of Undead bane.
    lvl10: Sword of Shadows

I'd argue the point of epic Antique getting ahead of esos in some circumstances, but arguing with shade is akin to throwing rocks at river. Mostly, cuz you might end up covered in mud.

Min2 does its job until you get epic antique. That is true. Tripos beats undead and it's nice to have at your disposal. But Carnifex has some downsides. One of them, is that you're likely to encounter plentiful oozes, undead, elementals and rust monsters - stuff with 100% fort or stuff that makes ur weapons rust. Still fancy your Carnifex vs those? I hope you brought a pair of them.
    Other thing is, that with +1[W] to cleave/ +2[W] to great cleave, greatswords get base damage advantage over axes in some circumstances. And while x3 crit of an axe is cool, in various cases it's plainly overkill.

Another thing is bodyfeeder falcions. Vampiric cleaver from lvl 13 to 19, Epic Pimpcane (souleater) from there on. I enjoyed, for quite some time, sustaining effects of those. And while some might lament sub-par DPS, I'd still gladly use them in various situations.

In my current melee TR life, I am using carnifex, antique, muck's doom, and buncha crafted stuff. I didn't have to pull maelstrom outta bank, cuz by the time i really browsed my TR bank, i already had lvl 4.

Anyway, Cormyrian weapons ain't much stronger than your usual lootgen, and most GS weaps will out DPS them. Sure, you might find something you'd find useful, by combining DPS affixes with utility - but odds are, you're not gonna like them any better than lootgen stuff from demonweb quest rewards. Especially stuffs with blue borders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Old Birthday Cakes of Wishes don't turn into new Six Year Old Cakes.

Community Member

Don't agree.

Falcions really only work on bosses, for the dps to matter, you need a lot of swings. Else the times three crit puts you into a place where you can 1 shot most mobs at lvl on n/h, sometimes elite with strong buffs. Falcions just dont do that, and imo overall slow down quests due to it.
    That's pretty innumerate. A falchion will kill anything in a lower number of swings. Its fine to like axes better, but falchions are faster on every mob. Run any combat simulator with a strength above 24 and power attack on mob hitpoints between 100 and 50000, and the falchion is always lower number of swings.

In fact greatswords kill things faster than greataxes all else being equal. Run the numbers and you'll see why.

Greataxes are only faster in some situations involving unbypassed damage reduction and healing mobs.

And no, mineral2 are not at all obsolete. Not until you get a epic antique, which while sometimes fast, can sometimes take a bit, so its worth having one for the mean time. And even then it still has a purpose for many cases.
    Its occasionally useful on my wizard who can't fit improved crit slashing for sure.