Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default most popular server

I'm coming back after years of being gone. What is the most popular server. I want a high population.

Community Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CrypticApathy View Post
    I'm coming back after years of being gone. What is the most popular server. I want a high population.
    <points to the server with clouds of smoke billowing out> There is your 'high' population.
    Happiness is laced with shards of pain
    ------------------------------------
    DDO Chat: Where pants are optional, manners are not.
    http://www.ddochat.com

Sarlona and Argo are pretty big.

"Hikari datte, yami datte, kitto"

Into light, into darkness, surely.

Cannith seems to be the most downtrodden of the North American servers

I would recommend just hopping onto a few servers during the period when you're most active and just looking over the LFMs. Might have some luck on the forum section for the server(s) you find interesting but the forums only represent a small fraction of the population.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Ghallanda is empty and Wayfinder is the most popular server........................................to retire.
    Quote Originally Posted by justagame View Post
    I assume you're joking.

(But just in case you're not, posts like this don't help, don't pretend to speak for others.)

A server is measured by the size of it's forum post count.

As such, Khyber wins.

Khyber.
    Levistis, Orcys, and Thirzax of the Dragon Blood Cult of Maguuma, GW2.

Anyway, to answer your question, the most popular servers are (in some order):

Khyber
    Thelanis
    Argonessa
    Sarlona

After that, the "2nd tier" servers are:

Ghallanda
    Cannith
    Orien

The German Language server Wayfinder is the least populated.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by munificence View Post
    Cannith seems to be the most downtrodden of the North American servers
    That's because just they're jealous of us!

Quote Originally Posted by QNecron View Post
    That's because just they're jealous of us!
    Or because we're the newest server and have therefore had a hard time establishing solid large guilds and raiding guilds. The older servers seem to have long lasting end game guilds filled with veterans, whereas the raiding guilds on Cannith seem to implode every few months.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by munificence View Post
    Or because we're the newest server and have therefore had a hard time establishing solid large guilds and raiding guilds. The older servers seem to have long lasting end game guilds filled with veterans, whereas the raiding guilds on Cannith seem to implode every few months.
    Cannith is the newest server? TIL... I've only been playing a year and am only on Cannith because that's what was randomly selected lol. I figured the servers that exist always have.

Learn something new everyday

Not much into raiding so I wouldn't notice or even know about that part, though that is interesting... Maybe Cannith has all the Emos with ADD lol?

Quote Originally Posted by QNecron View Post
    Not much into raiding so I wouldn't notice or even know about that part, though that is interesting... Maybe Cannith has all the Emos with ADD lol?
    Yeah, Cannith opened in 2009 when the game reopened as F2P: http://www.ddo.com/news/602-new-serv...for-head-start

At the very least, the players playing the longest, and the longest running established guilds AREN'T on Cannith. The raid scene on Cannith is always in transition, just as a guild starts to establish itself, it tends to split, collapse, or have the guild leader vanish. I've been in three raiding guilds that have collapsed either due to neglect or internal conflict.

Its not about the most popular, its about the one that has the most people!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I'm on it. Nerfing the new thing asap.
    Also, nerfing the old thing too, for balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    nnnnnnnmn....Pie is greater than Cake....nnnnnnnnn
    ^^^^didn't need to hypnotize me to make me say that :P ^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by riexau View Post
    A server is measured by the size of it's forum post count.

As such, Khyber wins.

Does that mean they may be logged in just to be on the forums? Or actually playing

Xoriat
    Where is my Iludium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator?

Time Bandit

This is the number of active guilds on each server during the month of July. Active means that the guild either gained or lost renown, indicating that someone logged in (MyDDO only updates a guild's renown total when someone in the guild logs in).

Code:
    Guilds	Server
    3351	Khyber
    3038	Thelanis
    2721	Argonnessen
    2630	Sarlona
    2496	Ghallanda
    2351	Orien
    2241	Cannith
    412	Wayfinder
    The way it's calculated is to look at every guild's renown on 6/30/2012, every guild's renown on 7/31/2012, and filter out all the guilds whose renown were the same on those two days, and sum up the remaining guilds by server. Although keep in mind I guess that for guilds that are level 25 or lower, since they don't experience renown decay, members could log in and out without changing the renown totals, if they don't do any quests. Presumably a member who does a quest will get some renown and therefore change the guild's renown total. At any rate it's across an entire month so if a guild's renown doesn't change at all for an entire month, its members are probably not active.

The guilded population is only a certain percentage of the players on each server, but it's hopefully a representative one.

If we rank the servers by the sum of the number of characters in each active guild, the totals are:

Code:
    Chars	Server
    72000	Khyber
    71299	Thelanis
    67355	Ghallanda
    61348	Sarlona
    56311	Argonnessen
    46225	Cannith
    40923	Orien
    6111	Wayfinder
    In this case after filtering out the inactive guilds, rather than summing up each guild (i.e. each guild counts as 1), the number of characters in each active guild was summed instead. Keep in mind though that this overstates the number of characters; if a guild of 50 characters had 1 person log in, this adds 50 to the total, not 1, even though there may be 49 inactives in that guild.

So in terms of the guild population, Khyber has the most, followed by Thelanis. The next three by guild count is Argonnessen-Sarlona-Ghallanda, while by guilded character count it's Ghallanda-Sarlona-Argonnessen. This sort of implies that Argonnessen has more guilds but they tend to small, while Ghallanda has fewer guilds but they tend to be large. Similarly, Cannith seems to have few guilds that are large compared to Orien, which seems to have more guilds but they tend to be small. And Wayfinder is last.

Cannith was opened in I think September 2009 while Orien opened in I think November 2009, and Wayfinder is the newest server by far.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Thelanis feels slightly bigger than Khyber in terms of end game going by channel numbers and number of end game guild members I see on all at one time. However this is a single instant sample size taken at 4pm EST weekdays and Friday nights and is mostly speculative (hence the technical term 'feels' )

After taking Vans more objective data I recommend playing both of these servers and getting a feel for what the population feels like for you. Way too many factors to be a truly objective choice.
    ~ Khyber - Crimson Eagles ~
    ~ Mellinator ~ Mellant ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~

join dramaserver #1

ive played on ghallanda and sarlona (though sarlona only for a short while) and ghallanda 'feels' more active, and the average player quality is noticably higher.

ghallanda has more women as well. i base this on nothing.
    Soturi . Ghallanda Rerolled
    [7/18/2012 12:22:24 AM] D. H.: i mean, i'm not as experienced as, say, a vegas hooker, but i can confidently say that you're a lot more aggressive than like 90% of the guys i've been with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast