Default Alder d'Cannith Permadeath Guild new rule

My Barbarian was alone at Chamber of Insanity after first wraith..... suddenly a cultist of the Vol spells me with a damaging spell and when the cultist was almost dead lag strikes me for over 1 minute.... of course i woke up dead

So changed this rule:

All deaths count.

for this one:

All deaths count, but if you lag then you may turn off DDO before death occurs.

Do you think this rule is reasonable in PD?

Community Member kafrielveddicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ddobard1 View Post
    My Barbarian was alone at Chamber of Insanity after first wraith..... suddenly a cultist of the Vol spells me with a damaging spell and when the cultist was almost dead lag strikes me for over 1 minute.... of course i woke up dead

So changed this rule:

All deaths count.

for this one:

Do you think this rule is reasonable in PD?
    I personally think it is easier just to say that anything that seems an unlikely death without the lag, is not counted as a death. In PD Halls of Valhalla any toon that dies due to a lag/disconnect is shelved until it can be reviewed by a select group within the guild, if the player in question wants to challenge the death. For our reviews we would require all the pertinent info, ie. what quest, what setting, where in quest, what mobs, what kind of damage were the mobs doing, how much healing did you have available, how many hit points did you have, what protections did you have, what protections are you capable of casting. We use all this data to determine if the death was remotely likely, if it is completely unlikely then we just call it a non-death and move on, basically its just using common sense.

To date in 3 years we have had a total of 5 reviews, some other lag deaths that werent reviewed because the players knew a half second of lag was not enough to justify the review. All 5 reviews were moved forward as a non-death and the player moved on as not dead!
    Guild: PD Halls of Valhalla on Ghallanda Level 56, Website: http://valhallans.proboards.com/
    Casualnarc 20, Repentnarc 16, Snipernarc 14, Banknarc 13, Gatlingnarc 12, Airnarc 12, Braverynarc 11, Lednarc 11, Tempestnarc 11, Holynarc 9, Repeatnarc 6, Ebuttonnarc 6 <-ALL WITH ZERO DEATHS

With this new rule the idea is: to avoid death when you get lag turn off the computer and that way you didnt die..... of course this is only valid in lag time!

Death is Death!

I know, life isnt fair....
    All deaths count. This includes bug deaths.
    For me death is death....
    This is just going back through the first three pages of your posting history when you chastised others for not being as hardcore as you. I remember another thread that I couldn't find the link to where someone was talking about bug deaths and you said that you'd never experienced one, in a way that implied that the poster you were quoting was lying.

I find this thread rather curious. Someone is adamantly pro-death in every scenario, until they personally experience the issues that have plagued others.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magnyr_Delorn View Post
    This is just going back through the first three pages of your posting history when you chastised others for not being as hardcore as you. I remember another thread that I couldn't find the link to where someone was talking about bug deaths and you said that you'd never experienced one, in a way that implied that the poster you were quoting was lying.

I find this thread rather curious. Someone is adamantly pro-death in every scenario, until they personally experience the issues that have plagued others.
    /popcorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Quote Originally Posted by Magnyr_Delorn
    This is just going back through the first three pages of your posting history when you chastised others for not being as hardcore as you.
    Death remains death, if you die you're dead! Only added this new rule to avoid unfair dead. Never said i was more hardcore than others, only that I'm hardcore .

Quote Originally Posted by Magnyr_Delorn
    I remember another thread that I couldn't find the link to where someone was talking about bug deaths and you said that you'd never experienced one, in a way that implied that the poster you were quoting was lying.
    I say: you imply a lot!!!!

Last note: Wisdom better than Intelligence

There are different ways of logging out. Some leave your character in the instance for some time, others are more or less instant. Encouraging players to log out when thier character is in danger seems extremely cheesy. Under what circumstance are you saying it is OK to log out? A little lag, a lot of lag, a medium lag, no lag, just a tad of lag but a hopeless encounter? The reason for dissallowing lag death is to remain consistent, yet your proposed rule creates another world of inconsistency. Personally, I could care less what you do in your guild, but you put it up here for discussion so there's my two coppers.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member kafrielveddicus's Avatar

Last note: Wisdom better than Intelligence
    And this was my point exactly earlier, why bother having to log out or shut down your computer, if it is a non-sensical type of death(or "Unfair Death"), just review it and have the guild make a decision about it!
    Guild: PD Halls of Valhalla on Ghallanda Level 56, Website: http://valhallans.proboards.com/
    Casualnarc 20, Repentnarc 16, Snipernarc 14, Banknarc 13, Gatlingnarc 12, Airnarc 12, Braverynarc 11, Lednarc 11, Tempestnarc 11, Holynarc 9, Repeatnarc 6, Ebuttonnarc 6 <-ALL WITH ZERO DEATHS

Quote Originally Posted by parvo
    Under what circumstance are you saying it is OK to log out? A little lag, a lot of lag, a medium lag, no lag, just a tad of lag but a hopeless encounter?
    Right. So changed this rule:

for this one:

All deaths count, but if you lag by 5 or more seconds then you may turn off DDO before death occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNarc
    And this was my point exactly earlier, why bother having to log out or shut down your computer, if it is a non-sensical type of death(or "Unfair Death"), just review it and have the guild make a decision about it!
    I wanna unravel any dust of subjectivity therefore Guild establishes a maximum of lag time! 5 seconds!
    Last edited by ddobard1; 08-06-2012 at 05:59 PM.

I am a solo perma-death player which has its challenges. My rule is that once my character dies, he is no longer a perma-death character. I can still play him, just no longer as a perma-death character.

I guess you might say that I am a fairly liberal perma-deather.

Community Member Gandalfs_Ghost's Avatar

The sole purpose behind the majority of pd guilds declaring lag deaths as counting is because ANY death can be blamed on lag. Your ruleset has to work for everyone equally, new players, old players, people you know and trust, people you dont know at all, etc.
    Once you decide to forgive lag deaths -- lag duration notwithstanding -- you undermine your own 'hardcore' ruleset.
    Yes it can be harsh but you are balancing simplicity and coherence (one ruling for all) versus subjectivity and opinion.
    Or to put it another way, Bob lagged for 6 seconds so he lives, Fred however only lagged for 4! Dead dead dead! If only you had lagged for 1more second Fred! Sucks to be you... :/
    It's a can o worms.

It seems some confusion raised from this new rule....

If you lag for 5 or more seconds you are allowed to close DDO (shut down computer). When you log in again if you are dead..... you are dead!!!! If you survived..... you are alive!!!!

I suppose 4 seconds of lag wouldnt kill you in most situations!

I wanna make it very clear: if you die, then you are dead doesnt matter why!