Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Default Enhancements and other thoughts...

Here is a very rough list of the enhancements and their costs that I started out with tonight:

Battle engineer: 41
    All core 6
    All crossbow training/weapon attachment/endless fusilade 11
    All rune arm 16
    All int 4
    Extra action boost2 4
    Arcanotechnician: 39
    Arcanotechnician 1
    All spell crit 8
    All int 4
    Uncaring master 2
    All pet 9
    Shocking vulnerability 6
    Static shock 3
    Lightning sphere 3
    Blast rod 3

Some initial thoughts:

I only had time to play around in the Storm Horns for a few minutes, so my opinion may change once I actually try the quests. But my first impression is that I like the SLA's. They are very cheap, spammable AoE dps.

I love the capstone that gives your weapon an implement bonus. With Needle it's 33 to spell power and makes me question the value of the Adamantine Cloak of the Dragon, though I would want to replace the spell focus on it if I got rid of it.

It's nice that arti's no longer have to choose which element to focus on. Now we can use every weapon in the arsenal: force-based spells, lightning SLA's, and Corruption of Nature. I might consider trying to fit in an electric or kinetic spell power item to boost those.

I did not do the LR, but need to in order to fit in the repair and spellcraft skills. Skills will be as follows: max ranks in spot, search, disable, open lock, UMD, concentration, repair, spellcraft, balance, with 21 points extra. I'll probably go with 19 haggle and 1 in tumble, but that's just my personal preference.

For the two destiny feats, I am thinking epic spell power electric, acid, or force at level 26, and either hellball or doubleshot at level 28. I remember reading that the doubleshot chance is lower for repeaters, so I'm leaning towards hellball.

And for the level 27 epic feat I'm considering epic damage reduction or watchful eye. Epic DR is not that significant, but watchful eye is purely convenience. So I think it's a tossup.

Those are my initial thoughts. I will change the OP after I have had more of a chance to experiment and am more certain about the changes. I'd love to hear what others think as well.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Default OP updated for U19

Updated the OP with all relevant info for U19 changes. When the new character planner is released I will use that and it should look a little neater.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Community Member

Just so you know combat archery is functional with all xbows now, tested and confirmed. Still bugged with non crossbows.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsjr1 View Post
    Just so you know combat archery is functional with all xbows now, tested and confirmed. Still bugged with non crossbows.
    I've heard this as well, but have not seen any actual testing/verification of this fix. Personally, I need some confirmation before endorsing it. Can you point me in the right direction to some testing? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    I've heard this as well, but have not seen any actual testing/verification of this fix. Personally, I need some confirmation before endorsing it. Can you point me in the right direction to some testing? I'd greatly appreciate it.
    The annoying (yet easy) way to test it is to have any character eligible for the feat take it and then equip a level 1 repeater and attack the training dummy. If you see weapon damage results above the range available to a character without combat archery, it becomes apparent the feat is working. That's what I did when I heard the forum chatter about it working.

Edit: also, sadly, I have to agree with you that Warforged is the king arti race in the new pass. The half elf enhancements are so terrible it hurts. I would probably make an argument for human being a close second at this point. For 11 AP you get: 5-8 uses of skill surge (new trap DC's are quite high), +1 int, 10% healing amp, 3d6 ranged sneak attack die. Pretty competitive with what you'd be spending elsewhere. Another AP can also get you weapon or spell power surge, which is a fair enough use of a single AP.
    Last edited by phillipsjr1; 08-25-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsjr1 View Post
    The annoying (yet easy) way to test it is to have any character eligible for the feat take it and then equip a level 1 repeater and attack the training dummy. If you see weapon damage results above the range available to a character without combat archery, it becomes apparent the feat is working. That's what I did when I heard the forum chatter about it working.

Edit: also, sadly, I have to agree with you that Warforged is the king arti race in the new pass. The half elf enhancements are so terrible it hurts. I would probably make an argument for human being a close second at this point. For 11 AP you get: 5-8 uses of skill surge (new trap DC's are quite high), +1 int, 10% healing amp, 3d6 ranged sneak attack die. Pretty competitive with what you'd be spending elsewhere. Another AP can also get you weapon or spell power surge, which is a fair enough use of a single AP.
    You could also just equip a repeater and look at the mouseover. The Weapon Attachment enhancement affects the [#]W display.

Edit: I used my +20 Lesser Heart to pick up another Barbarian Past Life feat and to try out the leveling process.
    IMO: You're best off working up the Battle Engineer tree until you have all the tier IV enhancements you want. Then you can dip into the Arcanotech tree for a few points and save up 4-6 AP for level 12 and all the Tier V Battle Engineer goodness. Once you have Tactical Mobility, put your “Use Rune Arm” feat on a toolbar and activate it as soon as you login.
    Last edited by QuantumFX; 08-26-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

Here is a very rough list of the enhancements and their costs that I started out with tonight:

Battle engineer: 41
    All core 6
    All crossbow training/weapon attachment/endless fusilade 11
    All rune arm 16
    All int 4
    Extra action boost2 4
    Arcanotechnician: 39
    Arcanotechnician 1
    All spell crit 8
    All int 4
    Uncaring master 2
    All pet 9
    Shocking vulnerability 6
    Static shock 3
    Lightning sphere 3
    Blast rod 3

Some initial thoughts:

I only had time to play around in the Storm Horns for a few minutes, so my opinion may change once I actually try the quests. But my first impression is that I like the SLA's. They are very cheap, spammable AoE dps.

I love the capstone that gives your weapon an implement bonus. With Needle it's 33 to spell power and makes me question the value of the Adamantine Cloak of the Dragon, though I would want to replace the spell focus on it if I got rid of it.

It's nice that arti's no longer have to choose which element to focus on. Now we can use every weapon in the arsenal: force-based spells, lightning SLA's, and Corruption of Nature. I might consider trying to fit in an electric or kinetic spell power item to boost those.

I did not do the LR, but need to in order to fit in the repair and spellcraft skills. Skills will be as follows: max ranks in spot, search, disable, open lock, UMD, concentration, repair, spellcraft, balance, with 21 points extra. I'll probably go with 19 haggle and 1 in tumble, but that's just my personal preference.

For the two destiny feats, I am thinking epic spell power electric, acid, or force at level 26, and either hellball or doubleshot at level 28. I remember reading that the doubleshot chance is lower for repeaters, so I'm leaning towards hellball.

And for the level 27 epic feat I'm considering epic damage reduction or watchful eye. Epic DR is not that significant, but watchful eye is purely convenience. So I think it's a tossup.

Those are my initial thoughts. I will change the OP after I have had more of a chance to experiment and am more certain about the changes. I'd love to hear what others think as well.
    Hey, thanks for updating!

I have a couple questions:

1. Isn't Needle's plus to spell power only 24? The description is 3X (+ of weapon). Needle is +8.

2. On the first page, you write that you are using Sage's Locket: ML26, Evocation Focus V, Spellcraft +15 - does that stack with the Greater Spell Focus +2 found on the Adamantine Cloak of the Dragon? I would have guessed no...but if it does stack, sweet. I'm doing my past lives right now - getting the 4 caster ones to increase my rune arm dps - and just pulled the heroic one in my sorc life. Wow!!! What a difference those +4 DCs make (heroic is +4, no spell power boost). I can wipe entire rooms out, and not see an "evasion."

3. Where to put the GS +45 hit points now?!? I had it on my neck and loved the displacement clicky (had two of them made, with plans for more), but now Sage's Locket is a must have (best in slot). You put it in your cloak slot, but I use the Jewel'd Cloak as my cloak b/c I love soaking up spells targeting me. So I'm a bit lost....

4. Humans! I love them. So there! (sticks tongue out) Extra feat means extra DC or extra mana + 1% spell critical. I do well with Rejuvenation Cocoon twisted in and either the spell DC twists, the extra action boosts or the electricity absorption, depending.

5. For your feats, I'd recommend taking either a spell that can be boosted by your existing spell power/crits, or something that increases your dps output of your xbow. I'm wary of the 500 untyped damage one.

Anyways, thank you again

I made a few more changes to the OP. I added some comments in the enhancement section about the "nonessential" enhancements and the options available. Also added a comment about the order in which you take the epic feats.

A couple of minor gear changes. As Singular noted, I took the Sage's Locket and moved the GS Min2 HP item to the cloak slot. I wanted to work in spellcraft and I don't believe the DCs from the locket and the cloak stack since they are typed the same, though admittedly I have not checked. I will check tonight. The implement bonus offered from the master engineer enhancement is much higher than what the cloak was offering. The only other thing the cloak had was stealth strike, and that doesn't seem to make any difference since I am always pulling agro anyway.

Regarding the various action boosts available, I'm not sure which is most advantageous. If I understand correctly, haste boost only affects the rate of fire and NOT the reloading speed. IMO that makes haste boost the least desirable. I've noticed after the update that endless fusillade always has a reload animation after first initiating it, whereas before the update this only happened occasionally. For this reason I am leaning towards damage boost. I also think damage boost will have greater synergy with Fury of the Wild since it lasts longer. Anyone else have an opinion on how these compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    1. Isn't Needle's plus to spell power only 24? The description is 3X (+ of weapon). Needle is +8.
    The master engineer capstone adds 3 to your weapons enhancement bonus, giving Needle a total of +11 for a 33 implement bonus. The other core enhancements add 2 if you don't have the capstone.

5. For your feats, I'd recommend taking either a spell that can be boosted by your existing spell power/crits, or something that increases your dps output of your xbow. I'm wary of the 500 untyped damage one.
    Regarding Ruin (the 500 untyped damage epic feat), it sounds nice but it costs 75 spell points. That's absurd imo, especially considering that the average base damage of boulder toss is 500, it is also affected by force spell power, and it costs 0 spell points to use. I decided to boost my acid spell power since I use Corruption of Nature and energy burst acid so often. I'm not level 28 yet, but I'm looking forward to trying out Hellball, that sounds tasty.

Default Combat archery testing

Also, combat archery appears to be working now. I tested it myself but could use some help interpreting the results which can be found here.

I made a few more changes to the OP. I added some comments in the enhancement section about the "nonessential" enhancements and the options available. Also added a comment about the order in which you take the epic feats.

A couple of minor gear changes. As Singular noted, I took the Sage's Locket and moved the GS Min2 HP item to the cloak slot. I wanted to work in spellcraft and I don't believe the DCs from the locket and the cloak stack since they are typed the same, though admittedly I have not checked. I will check tonight.
    Can't wait to hear it. I would check, but I'm still in heroic levels.

Regarding the various action boosts available, I'm not sure which is most advantageous. If I understand correctly, haste boost only affects the rate of fire and NOT the reloading speed. IMO that makes haste boost the least desirable.
    Haste boost was put there for the melee arties. It won't be very useful to you, for the reasons you mention and especially if you're running with Armor of Speed.

I'd recommend the +3 action boost one (depending on what you keep in ED's handy), and the damage boost.

I've noticed after the update that endless fusillade always has a reload animation after first initiating it, whereas before the update this only happened occasionally. For this reason I am leaning towards damage boost. I also think damage boost will have greater synergy with Fury of the Wild since it lasts longer. Anyone else have an opinion on how these compare?
    Damage boost from the artie tree didn't used to work at the same time as EF. However, if you took your damage boost from the human versatility line, you could have them both working at the same time, making for a massive DPS burst.

If, however, you can click both of them now, damage boost is waaaaay more worth it. That will bump up your EF damage by 30% - a crazy amount! If you're in Fury, using Needle, that could be as much as 2000-3000 more damage.

The master engineer capstone adds 3 to your weapons enhancement bonus, giving Needle a total of +11 for a 33 implement bonus. The other core enhancements add 2 if you don't have the capstone.
    And those count toward the spell power increase??? Wow! Crazy! I can't wait to get back on my artie!

Regarding Ruin (the 500 untyped damage epic feat), it sounds nice but it costs 75 spell points. That's absurd imo, especially considering that the average base damage of boulder toss is 500, it is also affected by force spell power, and it costs 0 spell points to use. I decided to boost my acid spell power since I use Corruption of Nature and energy burst acid so often. I'm not level 28 yet, but I'm looking forward to trying out Hellball, that sounds tasty.
    Does the regular artie stuff boost acid spell power? If not, you're only going to have +20 b/c of the Epic Feat. I think you're eventually going to swap that out for force. Unless your acid spell power is still pretty high because of the ED you're in. If you can make that all work, you might just be adding an extra massive burst damage to your already fine repertoire - brilliant! Let us know! The last time we worked out the damage bursts, arties were putting out close to 18k in 6 seconds: Boulder Toss (6-8k), Adrenaline (3-6k), Rune arm (1.2-2k). Energy burst could add 4-6k, if I'm not mistaken and I'd guess something like that for Hell Ball - so that would give you 24-26k in 8 seconds - basically intense, sustained burst damage.

The thing is, I'm going all force so everything will synergize. The rune arm uses will as a save, my spell DCs will high b/c of my past lives and the new equipment boosts, and EDs, that I think Archaic Device will work well in EE content. I have two more past lives to grind out and I'll let you know

I think regardless of what you do, you're going to find an increase in your BT damage b/c of your increased spell power in force. That's great.

Can't wait to hear it. I would check, but I'm still in heroic levels.
    Verified last night, the DC boost from Sage's Locket and the Dragon Cloak stack. I'm not sure if this is WAI since they are typed the same (an equipment bonus) and the devs seem to be trying to move away from confusing stacking mechanics. But at least for now, I've some gear decisions to make as well. I'll update the gear when I figure out how to fit everything in.

Haste boost was put there for the melee arties. It won't be very useful to you, for the reasons you mention and especially if you're running with Armor of Speed.
    As far as I know, haste boost stacks with armor of speed (or haste). But yeah, I'll be skipping haste boost.

If, however, you can click both of them now, damage boost is waaaaay more worth it. That will bump up your EF damage by 30% - a crazy amount! If you're in Fury, using Needle, that could be as much as 2000-3000 more damage.
    It was verified that class action boosts still share a cooldown (racial and class boosts sill do not share a cooldown), but they do not share a counter. Which means if you have five action boosts and you take damage boost and endless fusillade, then you can use each five times. That offers some fairly sustainable burst dps. I'll be trying to fit in both now.

Does the regular artie stuff boost acid spell power? If not, you're only going to have +20 b/c of the Epic Feat. I think you're eventually going to swap that out for force. Unless your acid spell power is still pretty high because of the ED you're in. If you can make that all work, you might just be adding an extra massive burst damage to your already fine repertoire - brilliant! Let us know! The last time we worked out the damage bursts, arties were putting out close to 18k in 6 seconds: Boulder Toss (6-8k), Adrenaline (3-6k), Rune arm (1.2-2k). Energy burst could add 4-6k, if I'm not mistaken and I'd guess something like that for Hell Ball - so that would give you 24-26k in 8 seconds - basically intense, sustained burst damage.

The thing is, I'm going all force so everything will synergize. The rune arm uses will as a save, my spell DCs will high b/c of my past lives and the new equipment boosts, and EDs, that I think Archaic Device will work well in EE content. I have two more past lives to grind out and I'll let you know

I think regardless of what you do, you're going to find an increase in your BT damage b/c of your increased spell power in force. That's great.
    Arti's don't have the various spell power lines anymore, but they do get a lot of universal spell power. So we don't have to devote ourselves to a single spell damage type. The only difference now will be from gear and the epic spell power feat if you take it. Currently, aside from potency, the only spell power gear I have is corrosion on Corruption. So my acid spell power is the highest and I personally get the most use out of energy burst acid and Corruption, which is why I went with epic spell power acid. The difference is minor now and which is best really just depends on what you use the most. Personally, I like this change. Now we just need more viable rune arms than the two we currently have to choose from.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 08-28-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Updated the gear. I'll be keeping the dragon cloak and the Sage's Locket and put the GS Min2 HP item in the gloves slot. I don't mind losing the heal amp since it's rarely ever used anyway. I'll slot str8 over deathblock on the stalker ring and replace the exc con1 on the ring with insightful con2. With WF con1, I'll end up with the same con, 1 more str, 5 more DCs, and spellcraft15 at the loss of 30% heal amp and deathblock.

Also updated the enhancements with my final selection.

I think I've got the gear figured out now. I wanted to fit in the master illusionist gloves so I decided it was time to drop the ConOp item. I'll put the Min2 in the belt slot where the ConOp was, then slot the gloves with blindness immunity. I can still use the ConOp for buff sp. This means the int8 on the helm is useless, but I don't think the wis or cha is really needed either so I won't bother switching it out.

I also wanted to fit in a deadly10 item somewhere. I figure I'll swap deadly10 of accuracy10 goggles for the Dream visor as needed, basically using the dream visor only when I need the bonus to spot. A +5 int tome will mean I won't need the exc int that is slotted in the dream visor.

Verified last night, the DC boost from Sage's Locket and the Dragon Cloak stack. I'm not sure if this is WAI since they are typed the same (an equipment bonus) and the devs seem to be trying to move away from confusing stacking mechanics. But at least for now, I've some gear decisions to make as well. I'll update the gear when I figure out how to fit everything in.
    Hey Cthru!

I decided on this life to play artie - your "blog" made miss my "real" self all too much! I'm going to use the +20LR to get a past life: wiz, giving myself one more DC. Then it's just one more past life (sorc) and I've got my +4 DCs. Then back to Artie and epic levels! Woohooo!

Uhm, my Greater Spell Focus Item +2 doesn't stack with the Sage's Locket's +4 evocation- just in case you didn't know. That nullifies my +2 augment and allows me to swap something there instead.

It was verified that class action boosts still share a cooldown (racial and class boosts sill do not share a cooldown), but they do not share a counter. Which means if you have five action boosts and you take damage boost and endless fusillade, then you can use each five times. That offers some fairly sustainable burst dps. I'll be trying to fit in both now.
    I play humans, so I take Human Versatility: 30% combat boost to damage. That stacks with EF - suddenly your EF bursts for a whooooooole lot more damage.

Arti's don't have the various spell power lines anymore, but they do get a lot of universal spell power. So we don't have to devote ourselves to a single spell damage type. The only difference now will be from gear and the epic spell power feat if you take it. Currently, aside from potency, the only spell power gear I have is corrosion on Corruption. So my acid spell power is the highest and I personally get the most use out of energy burst acid and Corruption, which is why I went with epic spell power acid. The difference is minor now and which is best really just depends on what you use the most. Personally, I like this change. Now we just need more viable rune arms than the two we currently have to choose from.
    Thanks. I'm going to put a 114 kinetic boost on Needle. I'll be giving up 2-12 pts damage, or good typed damage, for a huge increase in my spells, force rune arm, and Boulder Toss.

I kinda wonder, with the crits for force, elec and fire that arties get, if I'll be doing greater average damage than an acid rune arm. I won't know, since I've never done the acid spec, but I'll let you know how it works in a couple lives. I suppose if you have your +16% crit thingy on, I'd only get an 8% crit profile higher than you. I don't know if that makes up for the weaker force rune arm or not.

I think I've got the gear figured out now. I wanted to fit in the master illusionist gloves so I decided it was time to drop the ConOp item. I'll put the Min2 in the belt slot where the ConOp was, then slot the gloves with blindness immunity. I can still use the ConOp for buff sp. This means the int8 on the helm is useless, but I don't think the wis or cha is really needed either so I won't bother switching it out.

I also wanted to fit in a deadly10 item somewhere. I figure I'll swap deadly10 of accuracy10 goggles for the Dream visor as needed, basically using the dream visor only when I need the bonus to spot. A +5 int tome will mean I won't need the exc int that is slotted in the dream visor.
    You know, you're right. The concop boots are kind of useless, except for having buffing mana + bonus to cha for umd. I've been trying and trying to think of a place to put my GS HP item and I think I'm going to have to go with your suggestion: boots. That means swapping after casting and losing the very mild possibility of getting sp back through concop - no real loss.

Unlike you, I went with the displacement clicky / permablur. I made one for the full +45 hp and one tier 2. It's great for swapping out - you get multiple displacement clickies that way! But I can see why you'd want to put your hp and fort all in one item. Then you can worry about getting extra fort % elsewhere - I just use an augment crystal somewhere.
    Last edited by Singular; 09-04-2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: spelling error

Community Member

Default Lower-level question

OK, so I am running a dark elf artie up to 28 right now and then finishing off my EDs. Once done, I was going to use my LR20 to knock out a past life the TR into a WF artie as this build discusses. If I was going to choose only one past life, what would be the recommendation? It seems to me that ranger for the +2 range damage would be more beneficial than past life sorc for +1 evoc DC and a bit of mana... But, I have never TR'd before, as I'm new to DDO relatively speaking anyway. So... direction/thoughts? Also, what class is easier to level up to 20 anyway? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptEHCJ View Post
    OK, so I am running a dark elf artie up to 28 right now and then finishing off my EDs. Once done, I was going to use my LR20 to knock out a past life the TR into a WF artie as this build discusses. If I was going to choose only one past life, what would be the recommendation? It seems to me that ranger for the +2 range damage would be more beneficial than past life sorc for +1 evoc DC and a bit of mana... But, I have never TR'd before, as I'm new to DDO relatively speaking anyway. So... direction/thoughts? Also, what class is easier to level up to 20 anyway? Thanks!
    I would argue that your first idea is correct - go with ranger. The +2 to damage is on every shot and multiplies with crits. So you're going to be doing an extra +6 per volley (assuming they all hit), plus up to +6-24, depending on what xbow you're using and what destiny (Needle, Fury, for the highest crit multipliers).

+1 DC is good, too. It would decrease baddies saving on your spell and rune arm damage. The downside is that you're not going to notice, unless your hobby is perusing the combat logs. Also, with the new Sage's Locket, you can make up for DCs pretty fast - but you never have enough damage output!

That's my two cents.

Oh! You'll notice the difference for leveling purposes, too. I have three ranger past lives - when I TR and use a repeater, everything dies in one shot until around lvl 15 (keep in mind that I continue to upgrade my xbows). So it's like putting God mode on and never turning it off.

my Greater Spell Focus Item +2 doesn't stack with the Sage's Locket's +4 evocation- just in case you didn't know. That nullifies my +2 augment and allows me to swap something there instead.
    I'm not surprised by this actually. It might only be named items that are stacking, and that might not even be WAI. I can confirm that the dragon cloak stacks, and I have heard the Stormreaver's Tablecloth does also.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptEHCJ View Post
    I would agree with Singular. For an LR+20 past life I'd go ranger. Sorcs are probably the easiest class to level so if you still want the DCs you can get them quickly. Also, DCs are becoming less useful with every update and level increase. They are still important, but nothing beats raw dps atm.

I'm not surprised by this actually. It might only be named items that are stacking, and that might not even be WAI. I can confirm that the dragon cloak stacks, and I have heard the Stormreaver's Tablecloth does also.
    Wow. I have the dragon cloak. That means...very high DC's!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

But it means losing my Jeweled Cloak protection...I really like spell absorption items! Really really!

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast