Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFX View Post
    For some reason the forum won’t let me quote THIS.
    Denied! (I am)
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFX View Post
    For some reason the forum won’t let me quote THIS.
    Thanks for the link, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it. For one, it's from the beta forums and I checked release notes since the expansion and didn't see any mention of this. Did this change not make it to live, or did I just miss it in the release notes, or was it just not in the release notes? Also, there is no mention of lore effects, which was the original concern. If laceration was changed to affect the same damage types as impulse then laceration lore would affect blade barrier. But there is no mention of kinetic lore and whether it was changed to affect blade barrier. I think I'll start a separate thread to see if anyone can confirm or deny this. Thanks for trying to get to the bottom of this QuantumFX, +1.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    Thanks for the link, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it. For one, it's from the beta forums and I checked release notes since the expansion and didn't see any mention of this. Did this change not make it to live, or did I just miss it in the release notes, or was it just not in the release notes? Also, there is no mention of lore effects, which was the original concern. If laceration was changed to affect the same damage types as impulse then laceration lore would affect blade barrier. But there is no mention of kinetic lore and whether it was changed to affect blade barrier. I think I'll start a separate thread to see if anyone can confirm or deny this. Thanks for trying to get to the bottom of this QuantumFX, +1.
    I am pretty sure some of this has gone live... Specifically at least the first part "Impulse affects all force, physical, and untyped damage, including Blade Barrier. ..." as csivils confirmed here when using 'Blade Barrier' and 'Toss Boulder' while equipping the Holy Symbol of Lolth.

When I read the second part "...Laceration effects were turned into Impulse. ", I assumed that meant they renamed the items from Laceration to Impulse but don't know on that part and am now curious what we find.
    Last edited by Nodoze; 10-24-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: impulse for both toss bolder and BB...

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoze View Post
    When I read the second part "...Laceration effects were turned into Impulse. ", I assumed that meant they renamed the items from Laceration to Impulse but don't know on that part and am now curious what we find.
    I’m hoping that someone posts an updated screenshot of an Adamantine caster shield from LoB. I have no idea if the lore got renamed or not since I considered running the pre-U14 LoB to be akin to purposefully punching yourself in the testicles.
    Last edited by QuantumFX; 10-24-2012 at 05:58 PM.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

DarkForte confirmed that kinetic lore does not affect blade barrier in this post. So for blade barrier, impulse and laceration affect base damage, arcane lore and laceration lore affect crits.

I interpreted the second part to mean that laceration was simply recoded to affect the same damage types as impulse. If that is the case then alchemical adamantine tier2 would provide laceration lore. But if it was renamed, then alchemical adamantine has the same effect as crystal, which is impulse/kinetic lore. Unless the only thing they did was change the name and it provides impulse lore, which would just be too confusing.

Either way, I think I'm done hunting down an answer to all of this. I now know that kinetic lore does, in fact, not affect blade barrier. The burden of proof lies with the next person to claim otherwise.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Default Toven's Hammer is disappointing

So I got a Toven's Hammer a couple weeks ago, thanks to a generous pug group, and swapped enhancements to 7/2/1 force and 7/1/1 electric to try it out. Unfortunately, I'm not at all impressed. Trash does not seem to die any faster now that I have it. In fact, I feel less effective because of weakened blade barriers and Lucid Dreams. I see way too many saves with Toven's, a lot more than I see for tactical detonations and blade barriers. The difference makes me wonder what is not being added to rune arm save DC's. Wiki reports that evocation items are not added to the rune arm, but it does not mention epic destiny enhancements. The high rate of saves makes me think they are not added, but I will probably not be able to test this anytime soon to know for sure.

It does not work well with blade barrier kiting since you can only get a max charge of tier 3 while moving, which means less damage per shot and lower DC's (which means more saves and less damage). This is unfortunate as it would be great to have two AoE effects at once. Wax has mentioned the tactic of kiting trash, running into a corner, dropping a flame turret, and blasting away with lightning motes and Toven's. I didn't find this very effective as the turret is destroyed in seconds by endgame mobs and they save too often against Toven's. I find it a lot simpler and more effective to just kite them through a max force enhancement blade barrier a few times.

It is useful when fighting in narrow corridors where several shots from a force rune arm would normally just hit the walls. That is about the only place I have found it to be more effective than other available options. So I will be swapping enhancements again to 7/6/6 force and 1/0/0 electric for the occasional times that I swap to Toven's when in narrow spaces or need the sp proc (which I have yet to obtain). I never have a problem with my UMD score, even with multiple deaths, so I will drop improved UMD IV to get the 1 point for the electric line. If I get around to testing whether or not epic destiny enhancements are added to rune arm DC's I will post the results here, but real life issues will probably prevent me from doing so for quite some time.

EDIT: I still don't have a Corruption of Nature, but will post an update if/when i get one.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 10-29-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

So I got a Toven's Hammer a couple weeks ago, thanks to a generous pug group, and swapped enhancements to 7/2/1 force and 7/1/1 electric to try it out. Unfortunately, I'm not at all impressed. Trash does not seem to die any faster now that I have it. In fact, I feel less effective because of weakened blade barriers and Lucid Dreams. I see way too many saves with Toven's, a lot more than I see for tactical detonations and blade barriers. The difference makes me wonder what is not being added to rune arm save DC's. Wiki reports that evocation items are not added to the rune arm, but it does not mention epic destiny enhancements. The high rate of saves makes me think they are not added, but I will probably not be able to test this anytime soon to know for sure.

It does not work well with blade barrier kiting since you can only get a max charge of tier 3 while moving, which means less damage per shot and lower DC's (which means more saves and less damage). This is unfortunate as it would be great to have two AoE effects at once. Wax has mentioned the tactic of kiting trash, running into a corner, dropping a flame turret, and blasting away with lightning motes and Toven's. I didn't find this very effective as the turret is destroyed in seconds by endgame mobs and they save too often against Toven's. I find it a lot simpler and more effective to just kite them through a max force enhancement blade barrier a few times.

It is useful when fighting in narrow corridors where several shots from a force rune arm would normally just hit the walls. That is about the only place I have found it to be more effective than other available options. So I will be swapping enhancements again to 7/6/6 force and 1/0/0 electric for the occasional times that I swap to Toven's when in narrow spaces or need the sp proc (which I have yet to obtain). I never have a problem with my UMD score, even with multiple deaths, so I will drop improved UMD IV to get the 1 point for the electric line. If I get around to testing whether or not epic destiny enhancements are added to rune arm DC's I will post the results here, but real life issues will probably prevent me from doing so for quite some time.

EDIT: I still don't have a Corruption of Nature, but will post an update if/when i get one.
    Always good to read other people's experiences. I do agree that since Insightful Int + 3 items coming into existence, and Torcs being impractical on EE it's a less exciting weapon.

My favourite use of Toven's is as a follow up to a Tactical Detonation and Lightning Motes. If you're in a position (like soloing) to kite things through BBs, that's probably going to be superior every time though.

My understanding was that the DC of rune arms doesn't take into account Evocation items, just feats and int - haven't personally tested though. I also have no idea on EDs.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

My mentioning of the use of Flame Turret should have tipped you off that this is a strategy to be used at a point in the game where said spell is still useful, namely before you get Blade Barrier. I hope I didn't specifically mention Toven's Hammer as part of this strategy because it would have been an error if I had.

The strategy was with Chimera's Breath or Arcing Sky depending on the level and remained very effective up until the point that Blade Barrier became available and allowed me to farm quests like Purge the Fallen Shrine almost as quickly as I have on any other characters even though Flame Turret was ineffective.

The strategy would also suit any build that either delayed Blade Barrier (due to a splash) or didn't get it at all (due to a past life grab or whatever else). Flame Turret is certainly not a necessity, the only real requirement is to survive which is very doable in anything but EE content with a combination of stoneskin, displacement, ghostly and other defenses.

I'm curious too if EDs affect rune arm DC. I'd imagine that they would but can't be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Following this build with a couple of lives ahead of me I'm about to start crafting my GS, and with U16 out I just wanted to confirm that head and neck is still the way to go? And is there any specific reason to what goes where?

Quote Originally Posted by StrixAluco View Post
    Following this build with a couple of lives ahead of me I'm about to start crafting my GS, and with U16 out I just wanted to confirm that head and neck is still the way to go? And is there any specific reason to what goes where?
    I would still keep GS in the head and neck slots. I use a Mask of Comedy for the good hope clicky so I'd probably prefer to keep the SP/ConOp in the head slot in case I forgot to swap it out after buffing. I don't think there is anything that I swap to in the neck slot. But it doesn't really matter much I suppose.

The only gear change that U16 has made for this build is using the Treads of Falling Shadow boots over the Cannith propulsion boots.

EDIT: Another reason to put ConOp in the helm slot is if you ever want to swap in an impulse item, which is available on helm and ring slots only AFAIK.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 11-14-2012 at 04:35 PM.

I would still keep GS in the head and neck slots. I use a Mask of Comedy for the good hope clicky so I'd probably prefer to keep the SP/ConOp in the head slot in case I forgot to swap it out after buffing. I don't think there is anything that I swap to in the neck slot. But it doesn't really matter much I suppose.

The only gear change that U16 has made for this build is using the Treads of Falling Shadow boots over the Cannith propulsion boots.

EDIT: Another reason to put ConOp in the helm slot is if you ever want to swap in an impulse item, which is available on helm and ring slots only AFAIK.
    Thank you, that is truly helpful. I guess I better get started crafting then
    I can think of swapping in a torc as needed, and during that there will be an issue slotting heavy fortification somewhere else, but apart from that the neck looks like a good slot. Right now I got invisibility and GH clickies in the neck slot, but I guess they can go somewhere else (though GH in belt slot doesn't help that much I guess). Having a possibility of slotting an impulse item as wanted also look attractive.
    As for the boots the new ones looks really tasty though I guess the Cannith Propulsion ones will still be hot-swap for when ff is needed.

Thank you, that is truly helpful. I guess I better get started crafting then
    I can think of swapping in a torc as needed, and during that there will be an issue slotting heavy fortification somewhere else, but apart from that the neck looks like a good slot. Right now I got invisibility and GH clickies in the neck slot, but I guess they can go somewhere else (though GH in belt slot doesn't help that much I guess). Having a possibility of slotting an impulse item as wanted also look attractive.
    As for the boots the new ones looks really tasty though I guess the Cannith Propulsion ones will still be hot-swap for when ff is needed.
    Now that you mention it, I do remember reconsidering the GS HP item in the neck slot because of the torc, but the torc proc can also be found on an upgraded Toven's Hammer, so you don't have to be limited to the neck slot for that. And I still don't have a torc yet anyway (or the upgrade to Toven's for that matter). I do play this build with a very heavy casting focus, so some extra sp would be nice on occasion, not often, but sometimes.

If you are going with the torc and need to swap in heavy fort somewhere, I would suggest the ring slot. If you are torcing you aren't going to be getting sneak attack anyway and the new boots will make the dex from the avithoul seal redundant, so you aren't really losing anything.

I've got some lootgen bracers with 3 clicks of invis and I just use scrolls for GH which last 15 (16?) mins for an arti. I try to use either bracers or goggles for any swaps (clicky buffs, trap gear, etc.) since those items are not a huge loss if I don't swap them back. And yeah, I intend to keep the Propulsion boots as a swap for both feather fall and the propulsion clicky.

Default Thanks

Now that you mention it, I do remember reconsidering the GS HP item in the neck slot because of the torc, but the torc proc can also be found on an upgraded Toven's Hammer, so you don't have to be limited to the neck slot for that. And I still don't have a torc yet anyway (or the upgrade to Toven's for that matter). I do play this build with a very heavy casting focus, so some extra sp would be nice on occasion, not often, but sometimes.

If you are going with the torc and need to swap in heavy fort somewhere, I would suggest the ring slot. If you are torcing you aren't going to be getting sneak attack anyway and the new boots will make the dex from the avithoul seal redundant, so you aren't really losing anything.

I've got some lootgen bracers with 3 clicks of invis and I just use scrolls for GH which last 15 (16?) mins for an arti. I try to use either bracers or goggles for any swaps (clicky buffs, trap gear, etc.) since those items are not a huge loss if I don't swap them back. And yeah, I intend to keep the Propulsion boots as a swap for both feather fall and the propulsion clicky.
    That sounds like a prefect way to go, and it may take a while to get there as I haven't got the torc of Toven's Hammer yet. Reassured it is a nice way to go I'd better start grinding for the stuff.

I noticed that you changed the equipment in the OP, and also noticed that the breakdown of the DC is not perfectly correct anymore as it includes "2 greater evocation item (epic shaman's beads)" though the result stays the same with the Spell Focus Mastery +2 of Adamantine Cloak of the Dragon.

That sounds like a prefect way to go, and it may take a while to get there as I haven't got the torc of Toven's Hammer yet. Reassured it is a nice way to go I'd better start grinding for the stuff.
    It is worth noting also that torc and Toven's sp procs should stack, although I'm not sure if this has been verified. The lightning strike from Toven's does stack with a Lit2.

I noticed that you changed the equipment in the OP, and also noticed that the breakdown of the DC is not perfectly correct anymore as it includes "2 greater evocation item (epic shaman's beads)" though the result stays the same with the Spell Focus Mastery +2 of Adamantine Cloak of the Dragon.
    Good catch, thanks for pointing this out. The shaman's beads were a part of the gear set, but the dragon cloak offers a lot more.

1826 Base SP
    Somehow I end up with 1846 totally unbuffed sp though. I'm not sure where the extra 20 is coming from.
    Doesn't Sorcerer past life give you 20 spell points that you've not accounted for?

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    Doesn't Sorcerer past life give you 20 spell points that you've not accounted for?
    Great catch Therigar. That little mystery has been bugging me for a long time now. Thank you. Edited the OP.

I've been wondering the same thing myself! It's a tough decision on an arty.

I decided to put my GS displacement clicky and +45hp item as a necklace and will be putting a GS Con/op on my belt since right now belt doesn't seem to be useful for anything.

Right now, I'm wearing the Purple Dragon set (I swapped out Insightful Reflexes for Heavy Armor), so that takes care of helm, gloves and armor, I have the Tinkerer's spectacles on (but may change it to the Magewright set, since I use that cape when my Mantlle is out of charges), Howler's bracers, Boots of the Woodsman, epic buccaneers's ring and ring of the stalker.

I choose the Purple dragon set for several reasons: it increases my hp by 40 (con+superior false life), my str so I can carry more and reach full speed and increases to hit and damage by +3.

Default 32point w +4 tomes variant?

... Now onto 32 pt build considerations [with +3 Tomes]. ...

str8
    dex16
    con16
    int18
    wis6
    cha6

With these starting stats you will actually end up with 25 more HP than the build in the OP, so you will have slightly better survivability. ... You could put two level up points into dex and take combat archery but lose a total of 2 DC's (one from sorc PL and one from two level up points). ... your casting ability suffers. But since I'm not entirely content with the casting ability in EE content as it is, and this is what you will be primarily running, I would probably go with the second option for your build. Your casting ability with the second option will still be sufficient for EH content if you ever run that. ...
    I hit level 20 & I ended up upgrading to a full set of +4 tomes & now I am looking to reincarnate before I start on my EDs. For a 32 pointer with all +4 Tomes (instead of +3's), with the recommended gear, would the following stats be optimal?:

str9+4t+7e=20
    dex16+1u+4t+8e+3i=32
    con17+4t+6e+2i+1n=30
    int17+5u+4t+8e+3i+1x+3n+5d=46
    wis6+4t+6e=16
    cha6+4t=10

note: u=level Ups; t=Tome; e=Enhancement; i=Insightful; x=eXceptional; h=eNhancements; d=Destiny;

My thought was that this stat distribution should hopefully allow access to either (the still broken) Combat Archery or Epic Toughness with still only the loss of 2 DCs (sorc PL + one less int level up & 1 less int from the Destiny). Until they fix Combat Archery, my thought would be to take Epic Toughness and feat swap later (instead of reincarnating with ED risk) if/when they fix Combat Archery.

The net gains of the above (in addition to unlocking both CA & ET) is even overall stats & +1 str (while making str even) & it frees up 2 ED points to take something within Shadow Dancer. That being said, gear changes and I am not sure making my starting stats uneven like that is a good trade off for those gains...

I hit level 20 & I ended up upgrading to a full set of +4 tomes & now I am looking to reincarnate before I start on my EDs. For a 32 pointer with all +4 Tomes (instead of +3's), with the recommended gear, would the following stats be optimal?:

str9+4t+7e=20
    dex16+1u+4t+8e+3i=32
    con17+4t+6e+2i+1n=30
    int17+5u+4t+8e+3i+1x+3n+5d=46
    wis6+4t+6e=16
    cha6+4t=10

note: u=level Ups; t=Tome; e=Enhancement; i=Insightful; x=eXceptional; h=eNhancements; d=Destiny;

My thought was that this stat distribution should hopefully allow access to either (the still broken) Combat Archery or Epic Toughness with still only the loss of 2 DCs (sorc PL + one less int level up & 1 less int from the Destiny). Until they fix Combat Archery, my thought would be to take Epic Toughness and feat swap later (instead of reincarnating with ED risk) if/when they fix Combat Archery.

The net gains of the above (in addition to unlocking both CA & ET) is even overall stats & +1 str (while making str even) & it frees up 2 ED points to take something within Shadow Dancer. That being said, gear changes and I am not sure making my starting stats uneven like that is a good trade off for those gains...
    Looks like a good option to me, especially for a first life. As mentioned previously the two DC loss will make a difference in EE, but not so much in EH. Being able to have the option of combat archery or epic toughness is very nice.

The even str doesn't really matter since the only thing str contributes to this build is carrying capacity. The two extra points to spend in shadowdancer, however, is a nice bonus. It would allow you to get shadow manipulation which is fun and handy.

I'm not sure what gear changes you would make with this setup so I can't really comment on that.

Overall I'd say it's a solid option for a first life.

Some further thoughts about this build:

It looks like my artificer is going to look similar to your build, except that I'm going with mithral body and precision, and dropping empower and combat archery to do so featwise. Combat archery is being hyped up, and this puzzles me to be honest (notwithstanding that its bugged atm) because at best you're adding one die of damage (say 6.5, assuming d12) which translates to around 12dps (1.8 bolts per second give or take). Whilst 12 dps is not insignificant, it doesn't qualitatively affect what the build can do - you might take a boss mob down a few seconds earlier than you would do otherwise, but beyond that it doesn't suddenly make other things possible.

One area where I have realised I was wrong before was on DCs - I now think the focus on maximising these, and taking +6 Int from EDs is absolutely the correct way to go with the artificer. This means that shiradi is pretty much out, unless one is willing to forego prismatic strike and tactical det in favor of pin and otto's whistler to replace cc capability. I'm also really not seeing whats in it for the arti - the xbow represents under 50% of an arti's dps, and he has no spells like magic missile that can take advantage of shiradi's proc per missile and spellpower boosts. I'll still fill out the destiny to get fate points, but I doubt its a good choice for the arti.

That leaves shadowdancer and draconic as the true go-to destinies for the arti, with draconic being brute force to shadowdancer's finesse. I suspect the most satisfying approach will be to adapt the build so that it can easily make use of either destiny, and ideally in less than a 3-day window (i.e. without re-speccing enhancements to do so). This opens up a problem with a pure force based arti - he won't be able to make use of draconic in the same way as one who has elec or acid as well as force.

I'm currently even toying with the idea of leaving all 3 lines available, with 7/1/1, 7/1/1, and 6/1/1 ap spends in force, acid, and elec respectively. The main reason for this is that ultimately, whilst lucid/archaic are good vs. bosses, corruption and tovens are probably much better vs. trash, especially if you have very high DCs. If one wanted to use draconic, one would need to pick up acid or elec in any case, so one could use the 8 points and make the chosen element 7/5/5 if one really did want to specialise. Further, I think that draconic will make it harder to get +6 int because of other options in the tree, but on the flip side a lot of the power is coming from nukes which are less reliant on absolutely maximised DCs.

For reference, my ap spend will end up being something like:

Battle Engineer + prerequisites 11ap; capstone 2ap; all runearm enhancements 16ap; Int III 12 ap; wand mastery III 6ap; healers friend II and racial toughness II 6ap. Leaving 27 ap, of which repair gets 1/0/0, and chosen elements get the remainder.

On defence, the impression I have with defensive capabilities and how they have evolved is that the devs are expecting characters to have multiple sources of defence that combine together in a whole is greater than the sum of their parts kind of way. I think what this means is that its a mistake to completely dump AC on an arti. With mithral body, lithe, and various self-buffs and items, I think its possible to hit AC of 70ish quite easily. Under the new system, this may mitigate say 15-20% of damage coming in. This on its own sounds low, but you can then factor in dodge (where getting to 10% or so is relatively easy for a shadowdancer) and incorporeal miss chance (25% for the shadow form). Dumping any (or all) of these sources of defense will quickly increase the damage taken. This is my main reason for putting mithral body ahead of combat archery - I suspect that it will make a qualitative difference in survivability. I still need to run this guy through epic content to test this assumption though.

One thing I will say - I did run my character as an arti on his 2nd life, with one PL as sorc. In that life, I hadn't max'd DCs, but I did have mithral body and a reasonable AC. My experience was that solo EH was completely doable, and I did all the U14 quests except CITW solo at that difficulty. However, in my final sorc life on this guy, I was running with the basic composite body, and the difference was brutal - where my arti had felt semi-resiliant, the sorc felt like he was made of tissue paper.

Finally, what I'm finding hardest about this build is itemisation. In particular, slotting in the elemental lore lines is tough, and you're likely to be reliant on the cannith challenge items. My current thinking is that I'll only be able to slot in one GS (probably head slot), and whilst it will be conc-opp, it will be unusual in that I'll do +25hp, +100sp in order to combine hp and sp on a single item. I guess you could build a full SP item that you then replace out with your HP item post-buffing, but in practice I find it incredibly easy to forget to change before you shrine. Arcane lore is also problematic if you're not using lucid. Whilst not a problem for the dubbel o7 build as written, you would need a source of arcane lore when not using lucid if you did take up an elemental line. My solution is to keep arcane lore on the body slot, and move +8int out to either the trinket or goggles.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast