Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Haid View Post
    Do you have some tips on good gear to pick up for TRing into this build? I'm not very familiar with artis, and would like to know about some all-round nice stuff to have.
    From memory I started my Artificer a long time ago running this build on a new server as a Vet2 at level 7 and then may have used a free Heroic Stone to level to 15 (banking 16)... I can mainly reply from an eTR perspective as I haven't been focusing on 1-20 for TRs and did my heroic levels a long time ago. For a WF Artie I found from 20->28 that the Cannith Epic rings were all around very useful in covering multiple needs and thus freeing multiple slots. At Tier3 upgrade between just two slots for all levels between 20->28 you can cover:

- Archmagi,
    - Reconstruction +90,
    - Repair Lore VI,
    - Greater Auto-Repair,
    - Repair Systems,
    - Reconstruct clicky 1/rest,
    - Colorless Augment Slot, (could be repair +11, exceptional Con, etc... for 20+);
    - Green Augment Slot (could be 100% fort, etc... for 20+);

- Insightful Sneak Attack Bonus +3,
    - Seeker +6,
    - Manslayer
    - Ghostly,
    - Colorless Augment Slot
    (could be spellpower+11, exceptional Int, etc... for 20+),
    - Yellow Augment Slot (could be Deathblock, etc... for 20+);

From a Heroic TR 1-20th level perspective these rings may be helpful as well as there are versions for levels 3, 7, 11, and 15 and are very well rounded...

Gear-wise what I did was farm the Tier1 of the level 15/16 versions of both rings and then upgraded them to level 20 based upon Heroic challenge rewards while leveling from 1-20... At 20 I then started running Epic versions of the same challenges to upgrade each from Tier1->2->3...

EDIT: For more details on the level 3-16 versions and how to get them you can use the following links from DDO Wiki:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Ring_of_Master_Artifice

http://ddowiki.com/page/Ring_of_the_Stalker
    Last edited by Nodoze; 07-22-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Quote Originally Posted by Haid View Post
    Do you have some tips on good gear to pick up for TRing into this build? I'm not very familiar with artis, and would like to know about some all-round nice stuff to have.
    I generally use crafted gear during most heroic levels. For any TR, I like to have a GS HP item and GS weapon. Other than that, crafted gear (and now lootgen) can provide you with pretty much all you need. Currently, lootgen is as good as, and in some cases better than, crafted gear.

On Dubbell, I had a lit2 GS heavy repeater, although if I had to do it again, I'd just go with triple positive. It's almost as much dps, more effective against undead, and cheaper to make. Before GS I used a crafted holy of bleeding or screaming of bleeding heavy repeater. The scoundrel's crossbow from three barrel cove would be a nice low level named repeater.

I also used the upgraded docent from IQ, the Quorforged docent.

It's been a very long time since I played this build through heroics, so that's about all I remember. Some of the heroic end rewards from the Wheloon and Stormhorns quests would certainly be good options. The Sage's Spectacles from A Break in the Ice end reward are a min level 15 int8 item.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 07-22-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

GS Radiance (Fire/Pos) repeater is probably the best thing you can make on an arti. Blind on crit no save = party displacement. Pairs well with Ring of the Stalker and Tharne's Goggles at low levels.
    Lich - Lichclaw - Lichdust - Lichfate - Lichgaze - Lichrot - Lichsoul - Lichvault
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    DDOCast Contributor http://www.ddocast.com/
    http://www.twitch.tv/g_lich

Quote Originally Posted by G_Lich View Post
    GS Radiance (Fire/Pos) repeater is probably the best thing you can make on an arti. Blind on crit no save = party displacement. Pairs well with Ring of the Stalker and Tharne's Goggles at low levels.
    This is a good point. Rad2 has a particular synergy with artis (or any ranged) since you don't have to chase blind mobs, you can just stand still and keep firing. And it's a lot easier to blind a whole room of mobs with ranged.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

I'll second the House C challenge rings suggestion, although I follow a different strategy in acquiring mine. The tier 1 and tier 2 versions are Bound to Account so I build one at each minimum level (ML) and keep those for sharing between characters or for later TRs. It is slightly more effort in the challenges to do that for a single life, but if you ever have to repeat the process even once then the constant upgrade path is more expensive AFAICT. The Master Artifice is worth having at least from Minimum Level (ML) 7 and up but IMO the Stalker is only worth it starting with ML11, as the "Manslayer" Vorpal kill procs on humanoids is truly excellent. If you look closely at the stats on the tier improvements almost all of them are quite marginal (e.g. going from +13% crit to +14% crit) and almost never worth double the effort IMO. The level 15 Master Artifice might be worth increasing to tier 2 for the extra Repair spellpower but it isn't a huge boon. The tier 1 and tier 2 versions are BtA, and the rings only become BtC at tier 3, so staying at the lower tiers is nice for reducing. If you don't care about the augment slots then you can leave the Master Artifice ring at tier 1 even at level 20, but you definitely want to take the ML20 Stalker to at least tier 2 for the incorporeal bypass.

The Spare Hand belts are also really nice swap items for disarming traps and unlocking doors, but you definitely want to upgrade those to tier 2 at all MLs or else single-bonus items will be quite a bit better. You can skip the ML20 version entirely since it is not an improvement on the M15 t2 version, unless you want the UMD and/or augment slots or are playing a melee artificer.

The Wind bracers are also nice at all MLs, especially if you are picking up the SLAs from Arcanotechnician for early leveling, and may be worth having even if you don't because they combine perma-Blurry and Dodge% as well as your Lightning Spellpower and Crit. The Air Guard on the ML15+ versions is unreliable but entertaining. Personally I was very pleased with the AT SLAs for heroic leveling. While I did most of my damage with my repeater & runearm, the SLAs were lifesavers when enemies got into melee range or spawned right on top of me. Lightning Sphere can be hard to use but the daze on it and Static Shock are both quite effective, and a Maximized Blast Rod is a room-clearer. I dropped them all at level 12 so I could fill out Battle Technician but I was quite happy with them until then.

If you have access to a crafter then you can make yourself a Docent of Invulnerability (ML4, or ML2 w/Masterful) and that will be quite OP until the upper single digit levels. You can farm BtA docents in 2 of the Sharn chain quests pretty easily for maximum reusability across characters. If you don't have crafting then the upgraded ML5 Blademark's Docent from the Sentinels chain is pretty good for a few levels, as is the ML8 Gorgon Docent from Lordsmarch. After that the usual suspects from Gianthold are worth considering, i.e. the ML10 Giantcraft Docent and the ML14 Black Dragonscale Docent. The former is better for melee though so I'd probably skip it myself.

The crafted & GS repeaters that were mentioned are your best bets, but I had access to neither on my Arty and did fine with lootgen ones. Artificer is pretty strong all-around anyway. You might want to start looking now for repeaters with some of the nicer situational effects like Banishing, Disruption, and Smiting. They are not up on the AH very often that I have seen but are really nice to have in the teen levels. One special farmable repeater you might want is the ML16 Silver Slinger from the F2P quest "Servants of the Overlord" which is great for fighting undead, and in particular for skeletons because it bypasses their BR/Bludgeon. Unfortunately the ML is high enough that you won't be able to use it for anything but Orchard & epics and the chest that drops it is an optional that's really hard to complete without a good stealth & evasion character.

A bunch of the runearms are BtCoE and can be found on the AH, not always for ridiculous amounts. One I'd recommend farming or buying in advance is the ML9 Hand of the Tombs from WizKing - it gives your weapon a Vorpal proc versus undead that will be quite useful forever. If you are really lucky you can pair it with a Holy of Ghostbane repeater.
    Sarlona resident (PureMouse, PlushMouse, [& other little mice], Cryosite)
    Former lurker/resident of Argonessen (Shyelle, Cheyelle, Moonsparkle)

Quote Originally Posted by Caprice View Post
    ... The crafted & GS repeaters that were mentioned are your best bets, but I had access to neither on my Arty and did fine with lootgen ones. Artificer is pretty strong all-around anyway. You might want to start looking now for repeaters with some of the nicer situational effects like Banishing, Disruption, and Smiting. They are not up on the AH very often that I have seen but are really nice to have in the teen levels. One special farmable repeater you might want is the ML16 Silver Slinger from the F2P quest "Servants of the Overlord" which is great for fighting undead, and in particular for skeletons because it bypasses their BR/Bludgeon. Unfortunately the ML is high enough that you won't be able to use it for anything but Orchard & epics and the chest that drops it is an optional that's really hard to complete without a good stealth & evasion character.
    All good recommendations.

One item that was easy to farm at 13 that I wore into mid epics was the following:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Wind_Howler_Bracers

Regarding Rune Arms, like Singular I always preferred Force Rune Arms but a compelling case can be made for Acid while you level up as well as both types are readily available from quests or the DDO store (I think I got my level 13 force arm from the DDO store and used it to farm Lucid Dreams & I bought the BtCoE Archaic Device for cheap from the AH):

http://ddowiki.com/page/Rune_Arm

Regarding Acid, though I personally didn't go that route, the case seemed pretty strong when mixed with the following boots which are available at levels 3, 7, 11, 15, 20+ and got crazy powerful if you had the Energy Burst twisted/unlocked from a previous life:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Rock_Boots

I also only had lootgen repeaters till epic levels (had a mix of all the standard Banishing, Disruption, Smiting, etc that I upgraded every few levels) and also did fine. From memory I also got the Silver Slinger for undead and also got the following cross bows:

The following was pretty decent in the early epics as I think I got like 2 of these just from the regular MoTU quests and for a long time I think you could get the BtCoE one from the AH cheap when those quests were real popular (haven't had a need to check in a long time):
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Slaver%27s_Hand_Crossbow

At 22 & then upgraded to tier 1 at level 24 (both are easy) the following is likely one of your best bets:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Thunder...Heavy_Crossbow

The following is the one that I still use but may be harder to find groups to run unless still you have an award box lying around:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Needle,_Quill-slinger
    Last edited by Nodoze; 07-23-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoze View Post
    One item that was easy to farm at 13 that I wore into mid epics was the following:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Wind_Howler_Bracers
    I also used the Windhowler bracers, alongside an Iron Beads from GH for my Lightning spellpower & crit needs, but I hesitated to recommend it. The sonic proc is pretty poor because the DC is so low and targets the high save on most mobs so it is basically guaranteed to do half damage (or none vs Evasion mobs), so at best it is +1 ranged damage per shot from Marksmanship + 5% chance of 50% of 10d6 from Shrieking Bolt, which is only +1.875 damage on average. In exchange you lose Blurry, which IMO is quite strong and isn't the easiest effect to get. If you want to get by with Blur scrolls it isn't necessarily too bad, since by level 13 your Artificer Knowledge should let you cast those level 2 scrolls at caster level 8, for an 8 minute duration. I didn't try that myself to verify that would work, but I may when I play my Arty some more. Nodoze, did you just skip Blurry or did you have another source?

Fortunately as Nodoze says the Windhowler seems to drop really frequently and you can pretty much blitz that quest so it isn't an onerous farming experience at all.
    Sarlona resident (PureMouse, PlushMouse, [& other little mice], Cryosite)
    Former lurker/resident of Argonessen (Shyelle, Cheyelle, Moonsparkle)

Quote Originally Posted by Caprice View Post
    I also used the Windhowler bracers, alongside an Iron Beads from GH for my Lightning spellpower & crit needs, but I hesitated to recommend it. The sonic proc is pretty poor because the DC is so low and targets the high save on most mobs so it is basically guaranteed to do half damage (or none vs Evasion mobs), so at best it is +1 ranged damage per shot from Marksmanship + 5% chance of 50% of 10d6 from Shrieking Bolt, which is only +1.875 damage on average. In exchange you lose Blurry, which IMO is quite strong and isn't the easiest effect to get. If you want to get by with Blur scrolls it isn't necessarily too bad, since by level 13 your Artificer Knowledge should let you cast those level 2 scrolls at caster level 8, for an 8 minute duration. I didn't try that myself to verify that would work, but I may when I play my Arty some more. Nodoze, did you just skip Blurry or did you have another source?

Fortunately as Nodoze says the Windhowler seems to drop really frequently and you can pretty much blitz that quest so it isn't an onerous farming experience at all.
    Yes on my Artie I was the UMD king and cast all the buffs for parties (including Blur) if no one from that class was present (and sometimes even if they were but wouldn't/couldn't due to mana shortages or if they were multiclass as I actually cast at 20 while they did not etc...).

For Blur I used scrolls when I was out of Wand charges but actually preferred Wands because at level 13 a level 10 wand has a 14 minute in duration and at 20 they were 20 mins in duration and I retained charges often. This was because back in the day every pure level 20 Artie received as part of the old capstone: Arcane Empowerment: The patterns of the most complex magical formulae are like children's drawings to you. You gain +2 Intelligence and +5 Spellcraft. You treat any non-scroll activated equipped item that casts spells (such as wands, rods, armor, or other activated items) as if they were staves, increasing their caster level to equal yours as well as increasing Save DCs to (10 + your Intelligence bonus + level of spell) if it would be an improvement. These increases are applied after Artificer Knowledge, so do not stack. At one point I had 2-3 inventory tabs allocated to 5x & 3x clickies for just about everything available in the game. I bought Stoneskin wands from the vendor and watched for deals on Blur wands in the AH. Over time, after casting them on everyone in the guild for max duration, everyone started mailing me blur wands so I actually got too many at one point... Anyway it now it takes 41 points in the in the Arcanotechnician tree to get Arcane Empowerment which is hard to justify when many people prefer the Battle Engineer tree...

On a side note lately the demand to cast Blur is lower as, in addition from gear and from Arcanes, you can now get Blur from the Divines who have invested in the WarPriest tree.
    Last edited by Nodoze; 07-23-2014 at 05:22 PM.

I posted a potential new gear set for U23 in the thread about optimizing a pure arti for endgame. Since the discussion pertains specifically to the topic of that thread, I'll keep it over there. I'm providing the link to that post here for anyone who would like to contribute to, or keep up with, the discussion. I will be updating Dubbell with both new gear and enhancements after U23 goes live.

Default Update

Gear updated. I'll update enhancements later today after I see what harper looks like on live. I'll also update feats later as well. I'll wait to update final calculations after I'm sure that the gear has gone live as it was posted on Lammania.

I'm open to any feedback on gear, enhancements, feats, or any other changes.

Default Feats...

I'm trying to figure out how to fit in overwhelming crit and I'm considering adding ruin as well since it has some nice situational uses. I've already got 3 epic feats though, so I'm weighing the value of each of them.

I wouldn't use ruin often, but it's got some nice situational uses, like the phylactery in the combat room of Temple of the Deathwyrm. Because of its limited usefulness, it may not be worth it to take.

Spell DCs will cap out at around 60, which isn't very high for reflex based spells. So I'm thinking it might be worth it to drop epic spell focus.

Dropping epic toughness would also allow me to drop toughness, freeing up a heroic feat as well. Losing 80 HP might be acceptable, but I need to redo the final calcs based on the new gear to see what my HP and other defenses will be. For heroic feats, there isn't much that I'm interested in. Maybe precision or mental toughness? Precision probably has the best value given the amount of undead at endgame, but it can't be used while raged and fury is my primary destiny, so not good synergy there.

Combat archery is nice not only for the extra damage, but also for the dodge.

Overwhelming crit is also a nice dps bump.

What do you all think? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 09-30-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Default Fully updated

OP is now fully updated for U23. The build has 889 HP without toughness and epic toughness, so I'm dropping both of those. I'm taking dodge instead of toughness, and overwhelming crit instead of epic toughness. The force spell power ends up over 600, so I'm going to give ruin a try and will drop epic spell focus evocation to make room for it.

I'm still a bit undecided about the level 28 feat. Hellball doesn't get much use as it is, so I'll probably drop it. If I feel like the build needs more defenses, then I'll go with elusive target. If not, then I'll go with spell power force for a little more dps. Each of these are decent options though and none of them will make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    OP is now fully updated for U23. The build has 889 HP without toughness and epic toughness, so I'm dropping both of those. I'm taking dodge instead of toughness, and overwhelming crit instead of epic toughness. The force spell power ends up over 600, so I'm going to give ruin a try and will drop epic spell focus evocation to make room for it.

I'm still a bit undecided about the level 28 feat. Hellball doesn't get much use as it is, so I'll probably drop it. If I feel like the build needs more defenses, then I'll go with elusive target. If not, then I'll go with spell power force for a little more dps. Each of these are decent options though and none of them will make a big difference.
    One of my favorite builds of all time and thanks for keeping it and your other builds updated!

Looks like feats are not as tight as they were before... Did you consider Epic Reflexes for +2 reflex saves and no fails on rolls of 1?

I personally liked the ShadowDancer varient for the lower aggro and less spiky damage and value Evasion and maxing trap skills and thought the no fail on one and the +2 would be good in general but especially synergistic with regular Evasion.
    Last edited by Nodoze; 10-02-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoze View Post
    Looks like feats are not as tight as they were before... Did you consider Epic Reflexes for +2 reflex saves and no fails on rolls of 1?

I personally liked the ShadowDancer varient for the lower aggro and less spiky damage and value Evasion and maxing trap skills and thought the no fail on one and the +2 would be good in general but especially synergistic with regular Evasion.
    Heroic feats aren't as tight, but I'd say epic feats are tighter than ever. Epic reflexes is a good option if you run in shadowdancer all the time, but no matter which feat you drop you'll be losing some dps to get it. This build just barely reaches sufficient reflex saves for trapping with evasion, so epic reflexes would certainly help. I tend to favor dps, so I'll probably stick with what's listed.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Why not Doubleshot? I know it's not as big of a DPS boost for repeater builds as for others, but it's still extra DPS. And it's not like arties have a lot of DPS options among ED feats...

EDIT: I don't see Precision in your feat list; any particular reason why not? Also, what do you think of taking a body feat for extra PRR & MRR?

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Why not Doubleshot? I know it's not as big of a DPS boost for repeater builds as for others, but it's still extra DPS. And it's not like arties have a lot of DPS options among ED feats...
    I tend to just completely ignore doubleshot on a repeater build becuase it does provide less benefit. But you're probably right, it likey is the most beneficial option.

EDIT: I don't see Precision in your feat list; any particular reason why not? Also, what do you think of taking a body feat for extra PRR & MRR?
    Precision doesn't work while raged and fury is my primary ED, so poor synergy there.

I considered a body feat but I hate to invest in them while they're broken. If they get fixed, I'd definitely consider this option.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Make it a double please :D

I tend to just completely ignore doubleshot on a repeater build becuase it does provide less benefit. But you're probably right, it likey is the most beneficial option.
    Although doubleshot only works on the 1st bolt in the burst, its useful to have for lining up your clickies/SLAs to get that max hit/dam on the 1st bolt out the xbow. Often times I don't use it, but when I feel like I need to, I activate the Epic Pas Life feat Doubleshot from the Primal Sphere (http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Past_Life_Feats):

Active, Primal Epic Past Life stance

Passive bonus
    Primal Past Life Stance: +3% Doubleshot per stack of this Past Life.

Passive Bonus: +3 maximum HP and +4 per ten character levels.

I like having double shot on On Demand. Saves space too.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Thinking about it over lunch: +10% Doubleshot is effectively +3.3% DPS on a repeater build (presuming it's divided evenly across the 3-bolt burst); whereas +20 Force spellpower on top of 600 Spellpower is...also +3.3% DPS. So I suppose it depends on which you wanna goose an extra 3.3%.
    Precision doesn't work while raged and fury is my primary ED, so poor synergy there.
    Ah, gotcha: for some reason I thought SD or Shiradi was your primary ED. Should've paid more attention to OP!

Thinking about it over lunch: +10% Doubleshot is effectively +3.3% DPS on a repeater build (presuming it's divided evenly across the 3-bolt burst); whereas +20 Force spellpower on top of 600 Spellpower is...also +3.3% DPS. So I suppose it depends on which you wanna goose an extra 3.3%.
    Thanks for doing the calcs for me. In that case, I'd lean towards force spell power.

Ah, gotcha: for some reason I thought SD or Shiradi was your primary ED. Should've paid more attention to OP!
    Shadowdancer was originally the destiny for this build, a long time ago before I discovered fury. Now I just swap to shadowdancer when I need/want evasion.

Community Member

Wow - what an awesome build. Thanks so much for updating this. I had almost given up on my arty.

A couple comments/questions - I'm a noob, so sorry if some of this may be obvious:
    I did play the build through a few of the new epic necro quests solo, but only on normal - so I'm just curious what the downside if I make these changes. I'm sure there's a reason. I obviously don't have all the gear that's mentioned in the post.

1) Take Mithril body and use the Shadow Striker docent - for the 20% Ranged speed. I know this caps dodge, and maybe there's an item that gives you this already? And maybe dodge is a lot more important?

2) I bought some complete TF handwraps a while back on the shard AH, it had mortal fear and 2 of the gem slots with the AOE gems. I crafted it, and gave it to the iron defender, since I couldn't use it anyway (I put a +8 str augment in the colorless spot). Is there a downside to this that I might be missing, I'm not sure exactly how the pet's attack work - and they don't attack the boat dummy very well.

3) I created the Shadow Guardian DR 30/Epic DR 60/Epic while below 75% health docent for my pet. And put on false life or maybe +8 dex, +8 con. Is there a downside to this? I also put 2 points into the pet harper line, and took out the +5 hp one.

Thanks for any info. The build is really fun.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast