2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

Default Crafting an Elemental Beater

I want to craft an elemental beater for Taming the Flames. I love the quest, but the fire elementals are always a pain to kill because of their DR and healing. I see a couple of options, but I'm not sure which is the best. I'm figuring on a staff, so that I'll be able to use it no matter what TR life I'm on.

Option 1) +1 Icy Burst of Greater Elemental Bane: Probably the simplest option, lets me keep it BtA.

Option 2) +1 Cold Touch of Greater Elemental Bane w/red slot for Ruby Eye of Glacier: I've never seen a BtA slotted item, so it's doubtful I can make this one BtA. However, the Ruby Eye may offer more potential DPS. I have no idea how I'd calculate that.

Option 3) +1 Frost of Elemental Bane w/red slot as above. I'd lose +1 and a d6 damage, but Frost will deal double damage, so it's almost like adding 2d6. Is that worth the tradeoff? It would also save me some arrows, but that's a very minor concern.

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions, or calculations?

Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Make it an old adamantine item to make sure you can handle earths.

I could have sworn all elementals, including earth, had unbreakable DR.

Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastrd View Post
    Maybe they do. Haven't tried making a beater for them in a long time. You can still get adamantine weapons from that House D/K quest right?

Taming the Flames. I love the quest
    Madness. Just . . . madness.

Also -- not helpful right at the moment, but I like to keep an eye out all year for random lootgen elemental bane or banishing weapons, store them away, and then icy burst them with the winter festival.
    Last edited by Cardtrick; 04-29-2014 at 04:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

It seems like greater bane might cause you ML problems (can't remember for sure), but probably not worth doing just for Taming the Flames anyway. Cold II would work better than icy burst, and shouldn't be too hard to find. From your options, I think I'd go with option 3.

I'd skip the prefix altogether, go +2, and Greater Ellie Bane (making it a total of +6 against ellies). Keeps the ML at 8 and makes it relevant against more than just Fire Ellies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Community Member

+? Icy Burst of Greater Elemental Bane. It can be repurposed for all elementals except water. Ignore that guy who says adamantine, ellies have DR/-.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Correct: it's like barb DR. Adamantine Construct Bane weapons are a good idea, but that's for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    I'd skip the prefix altogether, go +2, and Greater Ellie Bane (making it a total of +6 against ellies). Keeps the ML at 8 and makes it relevant against more than just Fire Ellies.
    Skipping the prefix would let you go +3 of greater bane. (+3 enhancement +3 bane = +6 enchantment level.)

I would split the difference and go +2 frost of greater bane on a bta blank. It'll do more damage against air, earth and water elementals than +1 icy burst, and there's a bunch of non-fire eles in that level range. (VON3 & red fens jump to mind.)

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I would split the difference and go +2 frost of greater bane on a bta blank. It'll do more damage against air, earth and water elementals than +1 icy burst, and there's a bunch of non-fire eles in that level range. (VON3 & red fens jump to mind.)
    Sound logic. I like it.

No love for the Ruby Eye?

Astreya the Unturning

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Skipping the prefix would let you go +3 of greater bane. (+3 enhancement +3 bane = +6 enchantment level.)

That's ML10, unless of course you put a Masterful Craftsmanship on 'er. Then yeah, beauty Ellie beater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    That's ML10, unless of course you put a Masterful Craftsmanship on 'er. Then yeah, beauty Ellie beater.
    Masterful is a given for this thread because the OP lists three options in the OP, all of which require masterful for the stated use.

Regardless of masterful or not, +2 frost is always possible to substitute for +1 icy burst. The OP listed +1 icy burst as a possibility; I think +2 frost is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin-ator View Post
    +? Icy Burst of Greater Elemental Bane. It can be repurposed for all elementals except water. Ignore that guy who says adamantine, ellies have DR/-.
    Just because it have to be said: Water elementals have no inherent resistance against cold. Only Fire elementals are immune to their own element and weak against the opposite (excusing specific cases, like Reaver's Fate air elementals being immune to eletric damage). .
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

Sound logic. I like it.

No love for the Ruby Eye?
    At that level a red sloted weapon would be less dps than a plain weapon where you use that +2 enh ( the cost from the red slot) to craft frost or something like that. With that in mind im not sure that a ruby eye do enough damage to justify the extra cost/use of the augment.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonAureo View Post
    At that level a red sloted weapon would be less dps than a plain weapon where you use that +2 enh ( the cost from the red slot) to craft frost or something like that. With that in mind im not sure that a ruby eye do enough damage to justify the extra cost/use of the augment.
    Cool. That's the kind of logic I was looking for. Thanks.

Astreya the Unturning

Community Member

Get the Theurgic Stave from Threnal and add a couple of red augments.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Theurgic_Stave

Quote Originally Posted by charleslecharles View Post
    Get the Theurgic Stave from Threnal and add a couple of red augments.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Theurgic_Stave
    /facepalm

I already have one sitting around somewhere, too. Thanks

Astreya the Unturning

So, if I'm using the Theurgic Stave as my ellie beater, Ruby Eye of Glacier and Frost Damage Augment? Maybe Glaciation for caster lives?

Astreya the Unturning

Community Member

So, if I'm using the Theurgic Stave as my ellie beater, Ruby Eye of Glacier and Frost Damage Augment? Maybe Glaciation for caster lives?

Based im my fully cripled mat a ml 4 augment would do twice the average damage of a ruby eye at lvl 8, im not counting glancing blows and my mat could/might be terribly wrong tho but is worth a check.