Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Currently playing lagfree (linux build)

DISCLAIMER:
    THIS GUIDE IS FOR THE PEOPLE THAT WANTS TO GET DDO WORKING ON LINUX,
    IF YOU DELETE YOUR WINDOWS PARTITION OR THE LIKE, I AM NOT HELD RESPONSABLE.

pardon me for any spelling errors and typo’s. English is not my native language and i question the spell check of abiword(what was standard installed in lubuntu).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings one and all,

I thought i mention it to the forum folk that right now, that i am running ddo stable and without lag on linux.

My old windows 7 installation ate 1,5 gig of memory when idle, and had lag issues with ddo.
    About every 5 seconds the fps of my client would take a leap of faith towards a very frustrating 4±ish. repeatedly through out any dungeon or instance no matter on which settings i played, even with very low settings, 1foot of draw distance, and no shadows, or dynamic lights I still was lagging extremely bad. It felt like going into shadow crypt with the "environmental stencil shadows"settings turned on.

Now with my recent discovery of a newly released ubuntu version and beta wine, i once again tried to make a working and stable setup.

Half a year ago i got ddo working on ubuntu 64bit, this however was not stable and had a crash to desktop every 30-40 min. Yesterday had a successful 5 hour stable run throughout amrath, lords of dust, and epic sentinel quests.

If you need me to test any new area id be happy to.

first off my hardware:
    e6600 dual core processor.(2.4g, can run 3.6. for this guide stock).
    8800 geforce graphic card(heatsink cooling, with custom fan attached. ( i needed some extra cooling if i bothered overclocking, for this guide its running stock).
    65gig of solid state hard drive - sata
    4 gigs of memory

lubuntu 12.04 32 bit
    wine 1.5
    Lord of the Rings online and Dungeons and Dragons Online Launcher v 0.1.15

new installed setup:

step1:what you need is a copy of the ddo folder,
    this one is usually in c:/program files/turbine. which saves a lot of time later on trying to get the installer to work.
    step2: install lubuntu / ubuntu. v12.04 on a partition. you can download it here
    burn the image to a cd or make a bootable usb stick.
    boot, install. search for a guide online if your stuck here.
    Lubuntu 12.04 - i took 32 bit version because i wanted to test if lubuntu had a 3.2g memory limit. also i think it runs more stable with wine plus I wanted certain linux 32bit only programs to work.

after loading lubuntu, make sure you use the latest drivers for your graphic card. which is located under start -> preferences -> additional drivers.

with old drivers installed i had trouble on getting any higher resolution of 960x600. ( its 1920x1200 stock). and had buggs like crash to desktop when trying to load in character’s models, also had garbage screens. with new drivers i had no issues.

step3: install wine - wine is the program that allows us to run windows programs on linux.

easiest way i found to install this is through the terminal.
    hold control + alt + T. then copy paste into the lines:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install wine1.5
    note: you can paste the lines in terminal by holding control + shift + v.
    give the password where asked for.

step4: copy paste your ddo folder to your desktop.
    step5: ddo and lotro uses a splashscreen as login menu. this menu does not work in linux.
    Someone called allen jackson made a substitution login screen for us. all hail allen!
    however, his website where you could downloaded the exe installer from is currently down!
    Allen why!

what he did gave us is a ppa location where the files are located.
    this is the only step i did not writen down my exact terminal instructions.
    if a linux geek would be so kind to typ the instructions for adding the ppa: http://ppa.launchpad.net/ajackson-bcs/ppa/ubuntu/
    and installing plotr ill update it here.

EDIT: nvm wrote it down myself when reinstalling to ubuntu.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ajackson-bcs/ppa

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install pylotro
    step6: opening The lord of the rings online - yes for ddo. it uses the same program for both games.
    once loaded goto switch games and select ddo, then tools > options.
    for game Directory goto your desktop/DDO Unlimited.
    save settings. then to make sure goto tools > patch a couple of times.

login and play the game.

other stuff:
    if you have trouble of altering graphic settings in ddo you can edit them in a .ini file from ddo.
    this file is located in your home/user name/Dungeons and Dragons Online and is called UserPreferences.ini.
    this file is generated after you boot up the game for the first time. deleting the file creates a default .ini when booting the game.
    When i booted up the game i noticed my mouse buttons where reversed. 30 seconds in ddo options fixed it for me. ( escape -> options -> key mapping )

Alt tabbing from the game is not recommended for me in full screen. somehow this makes it buggy, and i needed to reboot the client to fix it. however window mode works normal.

Combination Teamspeak:
    i used to use ~ as my press to talk buton, this however somehow does not allow me to use some key combinations, like strafing and running forward. now instead of have a different button as my press to talk.

have to make use of the button while its useless now right? / i consider this an upgrade
    Last edited by erikbozelie; 08-02-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Community Member

30-40 fps in high.
    20 fps in ultra high

no lag in high.
    Last edited by erikbozelie; 07-29-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Community Member

reserved for updates / space

Community Member

thank you for sharing

i didn't suffer the lags you described, but extreme memory leak. after a guild mate told me about your post i tried with a blank win-xp wine prefix (no directx, no vc runtime, no registry changes)

now, after few days of testing, i can confirm that there is NO noticeable MEMORY LEAK. the frame rate seems to be a bit lower but who cares? i don't have to relog/crash every hour

wine 1.5.10 on arch 64, closed nvidia drivers version 304.32 with GeForce GTX 550 Ti, quadcore, 8g ram, settings on high/very high

Community Member

Your welcome Hardrim, and thanks for the reply,
    It is good to see someone using my findings.

what kind of fps are you getting in arch 64 if i may ask?
    Last edited by erikbozelie; 08-06-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Community Member

my settings

screenshot taken at the vale, 70-80 fps at that point (thumb/link)

i'm always playing fullscreen so i don't have to disable compiz

Thanx... MASSIVE thanx! I've been working on getting ddo going in my new Ubuntu install for about a month now, and was just about ready to forget Ubuntu and just go back to Windows... Thank you for saving me in the midst of my M$ crisis.

The only problem I'm having now is that when I mouse over something that's clickable, I can only select it if I'm below it, never when I'm on it... Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanx again

No, I've had this for a while. For me, there's a workaround. If on top of an object, rotate your mouse so you are looking straight down on the object. That allows ctrl (in my case) to properly highlight the object and allow me to pick it up. For some reason, being on top of it obscures it when your view is parallel to the horizon.

Thanx, I'll keep that in mind Kind of an annoying little problem lol

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeNoctu View Post
    Thanx, I'll keep that in mind Kind of an annoying little problem lol
    It is, but I've gotten to where now (assuminng not lagged), I wind up picking stuff up while running and it's in front of me - adaptaion, heheh

Community Member

you can use the keyboard to select and pick up stuff (q+e in my case). using a select key has the additional benefit that you can scan the area for "hidden" stuff like levers, shrines or collectables

Community Member

After running linux&ddo after 2+ months i can safely say that i will not be switching back to windows as my main operating system.

my currect issues with the game are close to none!
    ~no lag,
    ~no memory leak
    ~stable

only downside ive been able to find is that the game doesnt like being minimized.
    but thats openbox serviceor directx being funky. a 20 second complete reboot fixes this. rebooting becomes fun!

still have windblows on my partition as a duel boot because of some school programs, but thats where it ends.

in a world without walls or boundries, who needs gates or windows!

Community Member

you can use alt+enter to switch between fullscreen and windowed mode. that will let use whatever program you need without breaking ddo

+1 rep to you good sir, for filling in another piece of the puzzle that will see me leave Windows behind for good.

Default Anyone tried on Mac?

Nice to hear it's working on Linux. I'll give it a try for sure. I have a macbook, and made it dualboot using bootcamp mainly for running DDO, and I have a windows partition on my desktop (dualboot Linux/Windows) only to play DDO.

I know there's a wine version for MacosX. Did anyone tried it with DDO ? Got any good results?

Thanks for sharing your success on Linux!

Best Regards,
    mdrudi

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by erikbozelie View Post
    After running linux&ddo after 2+ months i can safely say that i will not be switching back to windows as my main operating system.

my currect issues with the game are close to none!
    ~no lag,
    ~no memory leak
    ~stable
    The memory leak is still there, it's just Linux unlike windows doesn't care if a 32 bit application wants to use more than 2GB of RAM. I've had the client using 4GB with no issues, but if you do enough char swapping it'll eventually eat all your RAM up or hit some other limit I'm not aware of.
    Last edited by Ayseifn; 10-06-2012 at 04:23 AM.

Community Member

Many thanks for this. I'm hoping this will fix the lag I get after a few character swaps or UMD usage so going to try a build next week.

Looks like there is a fix in the works to address the window/full screen resizing issues.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIxNDg

Community Member

since a browser update some weeks ago, the ddo store (and any other https page when using the ingame browser) is dead, because awesomium does not work in wine. can anyone confirm or even has a workaround? I hate being not able to buy packs and stuff

if you haven't updated your ddo client in 3 weeks or more, please make a backup for the "browser" folder and awesomium files before you do. I'm interested in testing if the old browser still works when you overwrite the current browser files

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrim View Post
    since a browser update some weeks ago, the ddo store (and any other https page when using the ingame browser) is dead, because awesomium does not work in wine. can anyone confirm or even has a workaround? I hate being not able to buy packs and stuff
    There is apparently a fix in the works. It has to do with how the security certificates are stored internally in wine. Something about the chromium (awesomium) back end creating cert groups but wine only using/checking the last cert in the group (if I read the bug reports correctly). There is apparently a hack of patch available that gets things working but it's not good enough to actually submit to wine proper. The gist is they know what the problem is. They just need someone to write a clean solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast