Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default What uses 4 hotbars worth of screen area and could be half a hotbar worth of area?

Riddle:

What in the DDO UI uses 4 hotbars worth of screen area, could realistically fit into half a hotbar worth of screen area, and only has information that matters once every mission or so if not less often?

Exp bar....

I mean come on... The exp bar surface area has a size way out of proportion with the space it needs to effectively communicate it's information and the space it needs relative to it's importance during the mission. What fancy UI mad designer uber logic ("you normal gamers don't get my genius") says, "I need to fill the whole bottom of the screen with the exp bar to have an awesome UI?"

I could have done with something the size of my health/mana bars, and I could have used that space to pull my hotbars in tighter to the bottom making the screen feel less cluttered.

Devs I will meet you half way. You probably are thinking, "our usability study showed that new players that see their exp move further on the screen feel like they are accomplishing things faster," or some other thing of that sort that allows you to ignore my criticism.

Fine! But, here is what I really don't get about that exp bar UI (given how many square pixels you made it): why can't it have a z order that makes it always behind every other window in the game? At least then I could put hot bars over it. I mean who really needs that giant exp bar to float over things like normal windows?
    Last edited by Qutsemnie; 07-21-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Community Member

Am I the only person in all of DDO that only keeps 1 hotbar on the screen? Every time I see a screenshot, somebody has twenty thousand hotbars visible. It is so hard to map the hotbars to mod key and a number? You can turn around much faster with mouse look and press keys much faster than clicking on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin-ator View Post
    Am I the only person in all of DDO that only keeps 1 hotbar on the screen? Every time I see a screenshot, somebody has twenty thousand hotbars visible. It is so hard to map the hotbars to mod key and a number? You can turn around much faster with mouse look and press keys much faster than clicking on everything.
    I tried that once, but as i play multi-toons on multi-servers inevitably i forget where all my goodies are, i keep even my modded hotbars on screen for reference.

@OP: your hotbars WILL cover your xp bar if you choose them to, just make sure you click on something in the hotbar to bring it to front to "prep" them before you begin.
    (can do this running to a quest)
    -Stealth RULEZ- A compilation -Favor 101- "How-to" unlock the game -Boycott the changes- combat changes stink
    You say you want your $$ back, i d g a f about the $$. I want my GAME back..

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Possibly. Without polling the entire population, we'll never know. My minimum amount is 2 on my melees, to my maximum of 8 on my casters.

As for the op, just put the hot bars over it. If you use the information as rarely as you say, just drag them over it and be done with it. Get the info off the character sheet the few times you do need it.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Just because we have lots of hotbars doesn't mean we are clicking on everything. I map all combat abilities/combat spells and the more commonly swapped equipment to hotkeys. I click for uncommon buffs and clickies. I prefer to see everything I have rather than memorizing the mapping of every obscure clicky. On my sorc, for example, I want to always be aware of the cooldown timer on my wail. If I was using only one hotbar, I wouldn't always be able to see that.

If you are able to remember all 170 of your slots without any visual cues and have an internal clock in your head, that's pretty awesome, and I'm sure it helps your field of view a lot. But there are quite a few people who use your technique, it's just not the majority.

Oh and of course I use mouse look. Almost everyone does. You just turn it off when you need to use a clicky.
    Thelanis: Takhysys, Tenauch, Vitriolus, Kalav, Leprous

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Doesn't work, I have ~13 bars up (130 quick slots) on most characters between spells, abilities and gear swaps. I play a combination of mouse look/free mouse and have everything important available via keyboard and everything else by quick swaps to free mouse and back again.

I definitely play DDO more like an FPS and it'd be great to never go out of mouse look mode but it's just not possible with my style of play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Community Member

Yes.

Onto the OP.

I cover the damn things up with my hotbars, except for the 4 dots at the edge, and just go by that. It's not super accurate or anything... but it gives me the info I need.

But /signed anyway.

Back to the 1 hotbar dude.

Just equipment alone is 3 hotbars for my main, and that toon is painstakingly geared to have the least amount of gear swaps possible. So, since there is NO WAY I could remember the hotkeys for gear, let alone that AND my spells (honestly, I have like 5 hotkeys, Dot, Heal, Mass Heal, Next Target, Next object thingamajig) on a mouse and joystick with jump, block, attack, and use as my other buttons. Which works really well.

I always covered it up, but since MOTU it keeps overlapping my hotbars. It's really reduced my screen size and made it harder to play
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno346 View Post

Oh and of course I use mouse look. Almost everyone does. You just turn it off when you need to use a clicky.
    dang i must be doing it wrong then

Why would you use mouse look? I tried and it's so disorienting to me.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

OP, just cover the XP bar with your hotbars. The rest of us do.

Why do you think many of us were upset witht he UI when it kept shoving the xp bar infront of the hotbars? And why do you think Turbine came back rather fast saying that was a bug.

Probably you are. I'm a low hot-bar user and am generally sitting at about 12 on every character.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSFWEl View Post
    dang i must be doing it wrong then

Why would you use mouse look? I tried and it's so disorienting to me.
    Circlestrafing a boss while jumping and doting is almost impossible without mouselook.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

Quote Originally Posted by sharachan View Post
    Circlestrafing a boss while jumping and doting is almost impossible without mouselook.
    i can do it

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Community Member

If you map keys (such as Q and E) to strafe left and strafe right, then it is simple to keyboard circle strafe.

1. You hold the strafe key down
    2. You tap the opposite turn key
    3. Jump as needed.
    4. Press hot keys to dot using the other hand

The turn key should be the opposite of the strafe, so if you are strafing left (Q) then you tap the turn right key (D). For the other direction, strafe right (E) and tap the turn left key (A).

Community Member

Signed, this does take up a lot of real estate for something you don't need to see very often. It should be scalable, hideable and movable.

It is hideable. I hide it behind my hotbars and have never needed to see it, to be honest.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Honestly, I like it as is.

However, since a lot of people are inconvenienced by it, I feel something should be done about it. If something is done about it though, please let there be an option to keep it as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    I agree with the feathered marsupial.

At level 20, I dont have a toon, melee or otherwise, that has fewer than 10 hotbars. Not only does XP bar take up space, it's pointless since it's also located on the character sheet.

/signed

And if they can fix this one, how about moving the announcements out of the middle of the screen and over to the chat box?

Talking

You can do that if you play with a gamepad like I do I dont need mouse look with one of those
    Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    I think the problem is that, as an inexperienced trapper, you used far to much C4 to disable the trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izumar View Post
    There's that moment when you learn not to stand next to the guy doing the trap. For your group mate it was this moment.

I never use mouse-look mode; I will use the 2nd button on the mouse to fine-tune aim, but I'm a keyboard strafer.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast