Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Noloco View Post
    Just like the last guy. NONE of you are capable of viewing anything as if it were NEW! Forget you know it's coming, because a first time player does NOT know it's coming. That's wrong. You don't care, because you know.
    Also, we should probably remove all of the traps from Sins of Attrition since new players won't know that they're coming.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PopeJual View Post
    Also, we should probably remove all of the traps from Sins of Attrition since new players won't know that they're coming.
    or maybe remove metoer storm for the pit fiend right?

looking at him, he should only meele and storm comes as a suprise!

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member Wraith_Sarevok's Avatar

Talking

Huh, last I checked this game is in French and German too.
    Khyber: Iqus Tres (Half-Orc Barbarian 20 / Epic 5 / Legendary Dreadnought 5), Ixupi (Drow Sorcerer 20), Outlake (Warforged 7 Monk-in-progress), Petroglyph (Warforged Artificer 16)

NONE of those options work for many pure characters and a pure melee will NOT drop them fast enough after waiting to heal with food in the tavern. Expecting to only need their 5 minutes to get the quest giver and be ported into the dungeon or expecting to maybe have to run across open ground to the 2nd portal. Like you do in other quests. So, again you appear to be incapable of sticking to the point. NOT knowing the quest is unfair as it is ahead of time and not being able to re-enter normally.

No clickies, no wands, no twinked characters, none of that. A new player is NOT going to have those items nor anyone that isn't expecting to HAVE to try some mad dash speed run. As I said this quest is a anomaly compared to the others.

NONE of your attempted work arounds address that fact that you don't HAVE to do that with other quests. This one you do and you are not warned ahead of time. So, compared to other quests it's unfair. It's a fact.

You got me thinking about this dynamic of quests. Some others have pointed out quests in the higher level range that you will encounter the same problem but I got to thinking that perhaps this is the highest level quest you have ran so is there any other quests similar to Von3 in the lower levels.

Fact is this dynamic is not new and in fact there are a number of low level quests that would be difficult to return to in time thus teaching you about this.

For example.

Quest in back corner of Cerelian Hills (forget the name atm).
    Water Works.
    Co6
    Some Red Fens quests.
    Three Barel Cove quests.

Those are all the lower level ones I can think of right now. Please keep in mind I said "difficult" to get back to not "impossible".
    Para

Proud Co-Leader of <o>

Community Member

This is not the only quest in the game that you cannot re-enter. They are all this way by design to my knowledge.

You can not re-enter any challenge quest for example. The window locks you out until the instance is reset.
    For quite some time Epic quests could not be re-entered, any of them.
    Many, Many quests require running through large explorer areas that have often reset by the time you reach the quest.
    This is not an uncommon situation.

As many have pointed out you can re-enter VoN3, you just have to run the quest again in under 5 minutes.
    Given that you have already completed it once, running Gateway on casual will not affect your bravery streak.
    It should be a walk in the park for any lvl 9 melee.
    Your spirit binder can heal you. Completing Gateway and stepping in to Jungle will reset all your HP/SP/clickies/abilities.
    You can also step into another quest, shrine and recall out. I am fairly certain there is an easily accessible shrine just inside Red Fens. These are options that are available to new players.
    You could also use a hireling, park it back a distance from the beholders and have it raise you.

For the sake of completeness, Siberys Spirit Cakes are available to any new player on korthos island for 5 turbine points. I do not feel that it is optimal choice, but it is a choice that new players have easy access to.

I disagree that it should be changed. I like the challenge this provides.
    Every quest is different and each have their own quirks. This one prepares you for much of what you will see in the following levels of content.
    Last edited by dubyprime; 07-21-2012 at 12:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    (AHH!! IM SO ANGRY I CANT SEE!)

NONE of those options work for many pure characters and a pure melee will NOT drop them fast enough after waiting to heal with food in the tavern. Expecting to only need their 5 minutes to get the quest giver and be ported into the dungeon or expecting to maybe have to run across open ground to the 2nd portal. Like you do in other quests. So, again you appear to be incapable of sticking to the point. NOT knowing the quest is unfair as it is ahead of time and not being able to re-enter normally.

No clickies, no wands, no twinked characters, none of that. A new player is NOT going to have those items nor anyone that isn't expecting to HAVE to try some mad dash speed run. As I said this quest is a anomaly compared to the others.

NONE of your attempted work arounds address that fact that you don't HAVE to do that with other quests. This one you do and you are not warned ahead of time. So, compared to other quests it's unfair. It's a fact.

Don't heal with food on a melee, pay for the heal from the spirit binder. jump back in jungles, invis ( pot works or clickie ) RUN to the end kill 4 trolls. Don't see what your problem is dude.

You didn't know the quest...It happens well guess what? now you know.
    Last edited by dredre9987; 07-21-2012 at 12:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

Oh and ...

IBTL
    Para

Proud Co-Leader of <o>

Attention Devs.

Changing this post so people can't TWIST it into something it isn't.

Really really simple version. Level 9 quest run into CR 12, 14, and 17 amongst other toughies. Means you're probably going to die. That is a huge problem in THIS quest because if you do die and you are solo, you cannot re-enter this quest because you first have to try and get through the Jungles of Khyber part 1 and you can't do that in time. So, whatever time you spent in this dungeon is totally wasted if you die. That does not happen in other quests. So, going by the majority of data you can gather that the spirit of the game is to allow you to DIE and re-enter and continue on. That is not the case with this quest. So, a new player that spends 1.5 hours in this quest and then dies and goes to re-enter as they can with ALL other quests to this point... goes what?

Other series quests let you pickup at the part in the series where you are at if you die. You can't do that with this one. Which makes it different than the rest. This is undeniable and fact. There is zero reason to not allow people to re-enter this quest on Normal difficulty. If they want a HARDCORE version of the dungeon they'd be doing the HARD or ELITE versions. If you were going to implement that kind of punishment for dying to all the other quests then it should exist only on elite. This should be expressly indicated to players before they enter the dungeon. I'll guarantee you most would skip it and there would be no hard feelings. They were warned. This quest does NOT warn you that you cannot re-enter.

The EASIEST fix is to remove the waste of time 1st part of Jungles of Khyber where you have to walk through the trolls. So, people can continue the dungeon WHEN they die, if you leave it claiming to be a level 9 quest with a CR 17 beholder that insta kills you. I don't mind dying my way through a dungeon and I enjoy a FAIR challenge. I go for solo hard streaks often and can usually pull it off. Compare that to THIS quest on normal... again it makes the problem clear with this quest.

Noloco
    Very concerned customer

P.S. For all of you about to whine and claim you need death block gear blah blah blah. Save it. Again, the difficulty of the fights isn't the main issue. The 1 death and you wasted all of your time is. It's a clear "time sink" and that's all it is and it has no place in a leveling up RPG. If you like Hardcore so much, go play a certain game where if you DIE at all your character is permanent dead. I'm not looking for that in a D&D rpg game.

Edit - Took out small secondary issue with level tool tip being incorrect to keep thread on track.
    Dear Very Concerned Customer,

Buy a rez cake.

Community Member

So, a new player that spends 1.5 hours in this quest and then dies and goes to re-enter as they can with ALL other quests to this point... goes what?
    That can indeed be frustrating, but it is the same with at least...
    Chains of Flame
    Against the Demon Queen
    COT6 (but quests are fast)
    Bring Me the Head of Ghola-Fan!
    Slavers of the Shrieking Mines

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Are you ever going to say something that shows you actually know what you are talking about? You really have no clue about this quest.

WHEN you die you go to tavern from Jungles of Khyber phase 2. You with me?
    Ok then you go talk to Clipse. Still with me?
    When you talk to Clipse you have to choose your difficulty for PHASE 1 of Jungles of Khyber. You following still?
    ALL of the trolls respawn in this area. Still there?
    Now you MUST kill all 25+ trolls if you can't sneak because you have to kill the last 4 spell casting trolls that HEAL to open the portal into PHASE 2. Got that? If you can steak you might only have to kill the last 10 that jump in.

That plus getting your spell points back and hps, running to Clipse, and THEN fighting all the way across that map to the portal takes a LOT more than 5 minutes solo.

@@Wraith_Sarevok as well.
    Invisibility clicky or pot, they're not that hard to get, problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

"you cannot re-enter this quest because you first have to try and get through the Jungles of Khyber part 1 and you can't do that in time"

I can. At level, untwinked. (try using stealth, or an invis pot - trolls have terrible spotting skills) you only need to kill certian trols - not all of them. As a real point, there was a time I couldnt solo this, now i can. It comes with practice.

Admitedly this is not the case for every one - especialy newer players, and von3 is notoriously dificult quest. I beleive that the quest description says a group is recomended but not required, this is one of the reasons why.

Aditionaly there are other quests like this, that have 'entry area quests' they are specificaly designed to make the quest harder.

examples include:
    xorian cypher.
    whisperdoom.

Also later in the game many quests are inside explorer areas and reaching the quest there is often imposible - due to distance and runspeed limitations.

Examples include many quests in gaint hold, necropolis and the vale of twilight, and everything in the restless isles.

Quest like von 3 where it is hard but not imposible to re-enter if you die are TRAINING you for the even tougher quests later on where death absolutely means you cannot resume from where you left off.

Its no coincidence that the quests with entry areas tend to be the more challengeing quests - this is absolutely intentional.
    Ex Euro player from devourer: Charaters on orien(Officer of Under Estimated & Nightfox): Wrothgar, Cobolt, Shadeweaver, TheMetal, Metaphysical, Allfred, Razortusk and many more.
    stuff by me: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...02#post4938302

Jungles of Khybe<snip>
    We've all done the quest 1000 times, from casual to elite. We got surprised the first time, learned some more a few other times and now know it. This is what questing is about. If you can't handle it, then don't do the quest.

Really, you're insulting and you whine a lot. You said your peace and were almost doing fine until the end of your post when you insulted everyone on the forums. Then people tried to assist you and you rag on them by telling them they don't know the quest or don't understand what you're talking about and don't want to hear about gear.

We do understand, and the way you've spoken to people in this thread we just don't care what you have to say anymore.

I know this is America and Dems would rather all the Republicans leave and Republ<snip>
    woooooo and the crazy button has been pressed!

Just like the last guy. NONE of you are capable of viewing anything as if it were NEW! Forget you know it's coming, because a first time player does NOT know it's coming. That's wrong. You don't care, because you know.

It does not hurt you or anyone else in any way to make the quest like other quests where you can re-enter. However, you're apparently getting some sort of satisfaction knowing that first time runner gets unexpectedly shafted.

So, why do you want to stick it to the new dungeon runner? How does letting them re-enter on normal difficulty effect you? Right now, it seems you want them to lose that 1.5 hours if they release and don't know they can't go back in like normal. You're defending my saying hey, this isn't right to people that have never done this before. Why do you enjoy seeing other people suffer enough to come on these boards and demand that they don't get to re-enter? Explain that to me. Why do you enjoy and these other people enjoy sticking it to other human beings that have done nothing to you?
    I learned back in korthos quests, if i died and healed in town, then ran through the explorer area i could run out of time within 5 minutes.

The concept of some quests needing to have explorers or pre-quests cleared is available to be taught to you at level 1.

It's not our fault you didn't learn your lesson in korthos, steam tunnels, red fens, sorrowdusk, three barrel cove, xorian cypher, tangleroot, whisperdoom.

Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    We do understand, and the way you've spoken to people in this thread we just don't care what you have to say anymore.

^this

I was trying to state this in a way that would not lead to infraction points! thanks ms

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

You are totally right. I never once said this is impossible. If your gear is in good shape you don't have to release. Mine was not in bad shape, but a little dinged up so I chose to leave. I take issue with not being able to re-enter. Now that I KNOW I obviously won't release and would wait my time out near the shrine and I'll tell every new player I meet. I did die near the shrine and I could have rez'd. I did choose to release. That's all on me. However, again it's not stated that you can't re-enter when the game teaches you that you can for all the other quests. Considering it's a really long quest it's a dirty thing to do to "new" players or players that have never released before in this dungeon like myself. <-- You can with other quests, but not this one. Thank you for actually responding to what I was saying and it does "FIX" this issue as a work around, along with all the gear etc...

I see this as no different than SS not working on monks before it was fixed again after last patch. This quest should be like other quests and let you go back in. There is no fair reason for it not too compared to other quests. That's my point.
    Well i wrote you a nice post telling you how to do it and that it was possible.. but it seems your hell bent on being rude to people trying to help you out, none the less i shall precevere in nice tones.

Your going to encounter more and more quests that are 'impossible to re-enter' by your standards, thats part of ddo's dificulty curve and starts to happen around lvl 8. It will become commonplace around lvl 12.

You will also enocunter quests that 'cannot be completed' by a solo character. For example quests that require multiple levers to be pulled simulteneously or people to stand on presure pads. Many veteran players including myself take pride when we work out new and interesting ways to solo these quests.

I would ask you in the kindest way to up your game, adapt and learn. Ask nicely on the forums how you can complete certain objectives solo and we will be happy to answer to the best of our abilities.

If a quest does NOT give sufficient warning that it is not appropriate for a solo character, then that is a legitimate complaint, but im 99% sure that all the von quests say that a party is recomended.

EDIT: plz understand that us old players get snarky with the kind of posts you have made. we try not to but we cant help it. DDO has already been dumbed down so very much (dungeon scaling, casual mode, ship buffs, no death penalty worth mentioning, etc etc) Althouhg much of this was for the good of the game plz rememebr that when WE were learning the hard way about von 3 that death meant -several thousand XP, broken eqipment that got permadamaged and couldnt be repaired, the quest was always scaled for a group of 4 and there were no hirelings. A solo capable character was a specific build.. it was not something any one could do, and it was very very hard.
    Last edited by bigolbear; 07-21-2012 at 12:30 AM.
    Ex Euro player from devourer: Charaters on orien(Officer of Under Estimated & Nightfox): Wrothgar, Cobolt, Shadeweaver, TheMetal, Metaphysical, Allfred, Razortusk and many more.
    stuff by me: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...02#post4938302

@OP when I said "welcome to DDO's midgame" I guess I should have said:

Von 3's pre-quest is what much of the game is like from that point on. Many quests from this point on are gotten to via explorer areas and will likely reset before you can reach them again from a tavern.

At certain points in the game the games difficulty raises a few notchs to a new standard for a certain range, and you have reached one of them.

Welcome to DDO's midgame.

Expect more jumps in difficulty in the future, and good luck. If you, or any new player, is willing to ask for and listen to good advice, like much of that given here, the community can get you past these leaps... they did for me, and I'm a professional moron.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by glouky View Post
    That can indeed be frustrating, but it is the same with at least...
    Chains of Flame
    Against the Demon Queen
    COT6 (but quests are fast)
    Bring Me the Head of Ghola-Fan!
    Slavers of the Shrieking Mines
    Ah finally someone gets it.

There is no need for that on the easier difficulties. Time sinks are not difficult, just time sinks. Forcing you to start over is a time sink. That's all it is. I for one would like to see DDO grow and not keep shrinking, again more players equal more $$$ and more content... people are too intent on enjoying other people's "hard lessons and misery" to get it. Getting rid of time sinks is very important to that, it's "artificial content" for game time. It's nothing compared to the ridiculous obvious time sinks about ever aspect of EQ, but time sinks are still very bad. In this case I'm talking about a surprise unexpected time sink.

I'm hoping the DEVs get it. There are a few solutions to the problem. Get an accurate difficult level where a level X quest you can re-enter is by default a LOT easier than a level X quest you can't. There should be a designation between the 2. The more logical alternative is to make casual and normal always re-enterable, and if these wanna be hard core players want... make the hard and elite not re-enter able across the board. There needs to be a distinction ahead of time.

If I were like these people enjoying HARM and hard lessons to other players, I'd suggest DDO become more like old school real D&D where levels lost are REAL levels lost. Lucky for them I'm not like that. However, if the DEVS made them lose real levels permanently when level drained because they "like" difficulty so much... they'd be on here crying up a storm. The only way for it to be a fair example is for the devs to NOT warn them. They would then be the ones on here crying about it, but that's different... that harms them. So, that's not "fair". It would take something like that for them to get it. Doing something without warning the customer is not cool, when it costs them their time.
    Last edited by Noloco; 07-21-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Attention Devs.
    <snip>
    Yup, it sucks to wipe and have to do both quests again.

Lesson learned: Dont solo it if you cant handle it solo. Get a group. This is one of the most popular quests in the game, especially at that level, due to the massive amounts of XP you can get from it. Finding a group is not hard -- unless you just dont WANT to group, in which case you accept the risks of a wipe when you solo. In this case, that includes having to redo the pre-quest.

My advice to you would be to listen to the posters trying to offer you advice on HOW to solo it WITHOUT getting killed, so as to avoid the issue altogether, instead of screaming at everyone that they "just dont get it". We do get it. We have all played this quest multiple times (more than you obviously) and know EXACTLY what the penalty is for a wipe in there. However, if you dont die, then you never have the problem of the dungeons resetting. Accept that this is one of the few quests where you DONT get a free pass when you die, and adapt to it. The VON raid itself (which this leads up to) has a similar mechanic. Wipe in the raid, and you are screwed as well.

As for newbies dying and having to redo it -- oh well. If they solo a quest they havent researched, then this is the result when they die.

BTW, this mechanic is hardly unique to this quest. Xorian Cipher comes to mind. Several parts of the Tangleroot chain also have this mechanic. And of course the VON raid. There are others out there as well (including several that are in large explorer areas and the timer may run out before you traverse the area), but the point is made.

VON is one of the most-run chains in the game. Its had this same mechanic for the 2+ years I have played, and I daresay its been that way since the start. This hasnt stopped ppl from buying the pack and playing it. So the DOOOOMM!!!!! PPL WONT PLAY THESE QUESTS tone of your posts simply is not true.

How did you ever get to high enough level to enter Von 3 is beyond me.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have found out that MMOs are about MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER online experience.

To the OP: Don't worry about all the readers and responders to your most obvious rant. In fact, I had to read it twice to make sure I wasn't being punked, and you were actually being true in your words.

You are not the first gamer to get owned in a quest, and then attempt to dissect the quest and find developer flaws and mistakes in said quest.

This is a game, and first and foremost, games are suppose to be fun. You should be able to find just as much enjoyment in failure as success, that is what a game is all about. Fun!

-Bunk

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigolbear View Post
    Well i wrote you a nice post telling you how to do it and that it was possible.. but it seems your hell bent on being rude to people trying to help you out, none the less i shall precevere in nice tones.

Your going to encounter more and more quests that are 'impossible to re-enter' by your standards, thats part of ddo's dificulty curve and starts to happen around lvl 8. It will become commonplace around lvl 12.

You will also enocunter quests that 'cannot be completed' by a solo character. For example quests that require multiple levers to be pulled simulteneously or people to stand on presure pads. Many veteran players including myself take pride when we work out new and interesting ways to solo these quests.

I would ask you in the kindest way to up your game, adapt and learn. Ask nicely on the forums how you can complete certain objectives solo and we will be happy to answer to the best of our abilities.

If a quest does NOT give sufficient warning that it is not appropriate for a solo character, then that is a legitimate complaint, but im 99% sure that all the von quests say that a party is recomended.

EDIT: plz understand that us old players get snarky with the kind of posts you have made. we try not to but we cant help it. DDO has already been dumbed down so very much (dungeon scaling, casual mode, ship buffs, no death penalty worth mentioning, etc etc) Althouhg much of this was for the good of the game plz rememebr that when WE were learning the hard way about von 3 that death meant -several thousand XP, broken eqipment that got permadamaged and couldnt be repaired, the quest was always scaled for a group of 4 and there were no hirelings. A solo capable character was a specific build.. it was not something any one could do, and it was very very hard.
    I played always with 4 people. My RL D&D group. I know of all of those things. However, the game starting around the drow release claimed now easier to solo. As said I came back recently and decided to check out the solo game and see grade it. I was looking for more of a challenge and a "fair" challenge. The re-enter thing must be removed for the solo gamer to be fair or at least warn them you can't in a quest so they can skip it. I'd prefer casual and normal be re-enter always. Hard and Elite untouched for the "group player" that likes it the way it is.

I'd like to see the game grow and prosper. So, from the normal geared solo player that plays the games perspective, I have a serious issue with the re-enter thing. The Devs can listen and I can "honestly" recommend the game to people I know that solo or... keep it as is and I have to "honestly" say to people... no solo is still not viable. This is supposed to be D&D. With wise gameplay you should be able to do a dungeon of your level solo if it is billed as solo. That means caution. Not go read the forums and a walkthrough of a dungeon where there are NO surprises and you know exactly what to bring. That defeats the POINT of doing a dungeon for the first time and the exploration and WOW factor. To PUNISH a player for wanting to get the D&D WOW factor by doing it blind is WRONG! That's exactly what is happening right now and most of these flamers are supporting that!

You people that have been here for years see everything as a "tool" to get this item, or x amount of experience, running it 3 times in a row, then do hard 1 time, then elite 1 time to maximize exp the fastest way... etc... you are so far removed from what it's like to be a NEW player looking for FUN and the WOW factor of each quest. <---- Those are the people casual and Normal should be made for. I don't even TRY normal unless I get smashed hard on Elite. But so many of these posters want to say I suck which has nothing to do with the point etc... and insult me then get ticked when I call them out for that ridiculous behavior.

Yes I have done this quest with my group of 4 in the past. They no longer play. My original server has been shut down with many others. Why? Obviously the game has lost many customers. I'm pointing out one of the main reasons right here in this thread. I came back after some years. I have a "new" perspective of everything as a result. Also I'd prefer they throw out intimidate and ALL taunt mechanics and make the AI smart like a REAL DM would. They are coming after your healer first if they have humanoid intelligence or better etc... I am NOT opposed to difficulty. Difficulty is different than no re-enter for a solo person and wasting 1+ hour of their time where they get nothing for it. This isn't Ninja Gaiden Blackor Contra, this is supposed to be a D&D mmo.

If you think it's GOOD for the game to stick it to new player like that... I ask you in what other business is that a good thing to do to your customers? Make them order from a menu with only 1-10 showing with no description. Charge them their money and say pick one.... and they pick #3 and they get a fried pickle and the customer goes, uh the sign says this is a burger place? The people in the place say well now you know better for next time on what you get with a #3. That's a ridiculous motto and will crush a business as far as new customers go. Took their hard earned money and didn't deliver what they expected. AKA a "normal designed for solo" is the exact wording.

Hopefully, the devs listen. It's not a hard thing to code in WARNING can't re-enter normally this is not a NORMAL difficulty quest or just code the 1st entrance to transport you back to the phase you are at on normal difficulty. Again, none of this would effect any long time players in any way. They just released their exp pack and now would be a GREAT time to hurry up and implement that before any new players run into too much of this stuff.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast