Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Parvo's Completionist Journal

Tonight I started my completionist journey. Its my first non-PD project in over four years. Last time I played non-PD the cap was 14 I think. I can use your advice and help along the way. I have no idea how long it will take and I'm in no particular hurry. I have never played any content above base level 16.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member

good luck with it, and if you need some help, gear, plat, ships, etc say the word.

and welcome to cannith, DDO's low pop/high lag server.
    boo-tai jung-tzahng-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We love fansites!
    <*cough*B.S.*cough*>
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    There will be bugs!

July 18, 2012
    My first life character is Parvo an orc barbarian. 20 strength, 18 con, dumped everything else. He started as a level seven veteran (my first ever veteran). The starter gear is plenty good enough to jump right into questing. Parvo needed some money so I started off easy running some 4's on hard. Irestone, Freshen the Air. They were really boring and easy, but I got some coin. I went incap once, died once and some random pugger joined and carted my sorry butt to the shrine. I decided to go Sharn elite. Some other random pugger joined and told me a little about hirelings (I never used them). About mid way throuugh Sharn, I hired a cleric to tow around. He made it very easy. After that I sent Parvo to Depths and completed all four on elite. Got held, and danced a lot. Seems like every time some random pugger joins me, Parvo bites the dust. I blame the puggers. Had a few deaths but just quickly restarted or let the puggers drag me to the shrine. Scored about 3500 plat, ground up a bunch of junk for essenses to use in some later life. No great loot, but really don't need any. About half way through the session, I used that Tome of Learning thing (someone on the forums here says it will stay with my character after reincarnating). Only got about half way through level seven. Need to get elite streak rolling...

Oh yea...one question. Do puggers just not talk? I had probably ten random puggers join me throughout the session and only one of them talked... weird.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Pape_27 View Post
    good luck with it, and if you need some help, gear, plat, ships, etc say the word.

and welcome to cannith, DDO's low pop/high lag server.
    Thanks. Might take you up on it. for now, I started my own one-character guild. Guild of Parvo. I figure the chest space will be helpful. I'm not really up on ship buffs as I've only recently started using them. (In MV we are temporarily using +2 Int/+2Wis/+1skill due to heroic elite trap bug).
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post

Oh yea...one question. Do puggers just not talk? I had probably ten random puggers join me throughout the session and only one of them talked... weird.
    At the lower levels, a huge amount of the pug population are free to play people just trying out the game. You'll see widely varying levels of competence and communication skills.
    Osharan, Esharan, Osharina, Usharina, etc... I'm the 'sharans. Epoxy. Notverysexy.
    I've taken the craft disturbing mental image feat... You have been warned!
    Share and Enjoy!

Community Member

If you solo you may find Hard streak is better. Can be similar XP/min given you will clear the dungeons quicker (unless you can zerg Elite content).

In later lives if you are short on XP, you can always run then Hard/Normal or Hard then Elite after gaining a few levels.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Good luck on your journey! I'm on my own completionist journey and similar experience with not being in a hurry. I'm using it as an opportunity to try out some build concepts (as I'm not big on alts - 4 toons is enough for me).

For hold/dance I'd consider asking someone to craft you a Enhancement vs Enchantments shard that you can add to an accessory, it stacks with normal resistance items and trivialises the saves needed vs the very annoying hold/dances/commands that you'll frequently encounter, it'll really make elite streaking a lot more viable.

Hirelings are great and probably a necessity for a barbarian, some particular hirelings seem to have much better AIs than others, try out different ones and see which ones you like. Larafey the level 15 FvS is one of my favourite, she's awesome to have around (reasonable healer, great caster of destruction/cometfall etc).

Puggers are a mixed bag but I usually manage a few words out of the ones I encounter. As you might expect, the person with the star generally sets the tone of the group, if you don't talk, they might not either.

Start thinking about what general TR kit you need. Farm some Xorian Cipher for Planar Girds (2 is enough but I'm happy to have pulled a third), DW clickies from Tangleroot, Mantle of the Worldshaper, Voice of the Master, Carnifex etc.

Barbarian is a great place to start as it isn't pleasant as a Legendary life but I'd be heading to the more self sufficient builds sooner rather than later in the hopes of getting your guild up high enough for resist shrines before doing any similar classes as Legendary.

Good luck again and enjoy the content that you haven't seen before

Cheers,
    Wowo
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Seems like every time some random pugger joins me, Parvo bites the dust. I blame the puggers.
    Could be the dungeon scaling hitting you if the puggers are not pulling their weight
    Or they could have poor aggro management
    Low level puggers tend to be worse than high level puggers
    Puggers tend to get better around lvl 10, and will be dangerously bad at lvl 16 because of the xp stones

As was stated earlier, yeah, lots of puggers don't talk. If they don't have a mic set up, and use voice chat, typing takes a while

Having a hard streak is also a lot easier than an elite streak, for an xp difference of 75% base xp.

A general tip: if you join lfms, never join lfms that say "need opener"

For building a completionist, I read somewhere that someone suggested having something similar between all of your lives, like if you use two weapon fighting in all of your lives, then you can use the same weps each life and not need to build greensteel weps for each life
    Last edited by gphysalis; 07-19-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Default Welcome to Cannith

If you need anything contact me in game, main toon Lilliye.

Have a nice day
    MEDIC fall back, if i die i die, if you die the unit die's

Community Member

July 18, 2012
    My first life character is Parvo an orc barbarian. 20 strength, 18 con, dumped everything else. He started as a level seven veteran (my first ever veteran). The starter gear is plenty good enough to jump right into questing. Parvo needed some money so I started off easy running some 4's on hard. Irestone, Freshen the Air. They were really boring and easy, but I got some coin. I went incap once, died once and some random pugger joined and carted my sorry butt to the shrine. I decided to go Sharn elite. Some other random pugger joined and told me a little about hirelings (I never used them). About mid way throuugh Sharn, I hired a cleric to tow around. He made it very easy. After that I sent Parvo to Depths and completed all four on elite. Got held, and danced a lot. Seems like every time some random pugger joins me, Parvo bites the dust. I blame the puggers. Had a few deaths but just quickly restarted or let the puggers drag me to the shrine. Scored about 3500 plat, ground up a bunch of junk for essenses to use in some later life. No great loot, but really don't need any. About half way through the session, I used that Tome of Learning thing (someone on the forums here says it will stay with my character after reincarnating). Only got about half way through level seven. Need to get elite streak rolling...

Sense of perma death is strong. It will never leave this soul. :P
    Libras of Khyber, Rogue 80.
    Malakatai of Khyber, TR Gimp, useless almost all the time.

Leader of Discordia, community of friends and family.

Cannith is a great server Parvo - Ignore the nay-sayers.

Yes we have lag BUT I've found lag to be worse on Argo and Wayfinder {God knows how?} the past coupla weeks.

I first moved to other servers because of the lag on Cannith - Khyber and Ghallanda were both lag free when I hit them, So were Sarlona, Thelanis and Argo later on.

If one server's lagging, Chances are others aren't at the same time.

Cannith will always be my home however - Even if I do have 9 characters between Lvl 8 and 16 on Sarlona, 4 between 7 and 16 on Argo + 1 TR at lvl 4, 3 Between 5 and 7 on Wayfinder, 2 Lvl 16s {one of em stoned} on Thelanis {These two will leave Thelanis soonTM} and one solitary Lvl 16 stoned Fighter on Orien who is moving to Sarlona ASAP.

Yes I'm a terrible altaholic!

As for some of the other things that have come up in this thread:

Shipbuffs - I don't know how easy you want your completionist journey to be YET I can see you're already worried about the ease you're completing quests at - Having followed your Permadeath Posts on these forums I can certainly see why this is so.
    But I also have to ask if you'd prefer to be in a small guild that already has a ship, buffs etc rather than building your own from the ground up
    We are Lvl 42 currently and don't have a Guild Chest {too much temptation} but we will soon have medium Guild slots available {Lvl 45} and thanks to the devs a 2% xp shrine from the store.
    Scions of Stormreach.
    I had to ask.

Hirelings - I use these all the time myself and over the past two years have familiarised myself with most of them - Starting at Lvl 7 I'd recommend:

7-8 Zaghar Everstar {FS}, Laerathor {Cleric with DV - Obviously not for a Barbarian}, Shadow {Rogue Mech}
    9-11 Marissa Lorle {Cleric with DV}, Samuel Merrick {Cleric with Summoned Earth Ele - For those who don't need DV}, Rogue Hires are pretty atrocious at these Lvls unfortunately.
    12-13 Miranda Kelven {Cleric with DV}, Fira Greylocke {fantastic Rogue Hireling}
    14-15 Tempys {Cleric with DV and Mass Deathward}, Larafey {Superb FS Hireling - Better than many players}
    16 Isadora {Natasha if u need DV}.
    17 Still Isadora/Natasha - The Lvl 17 Cleric Ayron is Atrocious, The Lvl 17 FS is DDOStore only and if anything even worse.
    18 Heystack's OK but I still prefer Isadora myself {Natasha if I need the DV} - Larafey btw is still capable of blowing thru quests even in IQ.
    19 Klin is magnificent
    20 Stick with Klin and you'll come to no harm - I do like Wyoh for Implosion though.

I wouldn't recommend:

8 Fergus - Complete waste of space
    10 Fayden - Squishy
    11 Arkyn - Even squishier
    13 Dheran - Wow this hireling's incredibly bad
    15 Jatrina - Squishy
    18 Merenon - Thinks he's a Fighter
    19 Caraneth - nerfed + Cannot Raise Dead

Any Melee Hireling other than Anvil {Lvl 10} or Tini Brightlight {Lvl 17 I think}.

Hard/Elite streak - Having followed your Permadeath posts I can't really see you dropping to Hard streak - You know the quests up to Lvl 13-14 Probably better than 90% of the people on these forums and shouldn't have any trouble deciding which ones to leave well alone until you're good and ready - Remember also that on your first life XP is freely available and even Lvl 2 quests done on Elite by a Vet 7 character will provide nice XP.
    3 Barrel Cove slayer is also fast and very good XP as also are Searing Heights and Ataraxia - Sands, Orchard and Vale will provide quite a bit more and House Cannith and Reaver's Refuge can help you hit 20 without having to worry about grouping.
    On your second life and after of course you will probably stick to quests all the way as you will have learnt the higher lvl ones on your first life.

Obviously vet status only works on a first life - TRs start back at Lvl 1 - You will be able to set up one heck of an elite streak from your second life onwards.

LFMs that need opener - I've done this in the past - Still do it from time to time now on my premium account BUT my main account is VIP {has been since December}.
    There are plenty of people who know what they're doing who still might need an opener from time to time - Of course the ones you need to look out for are "Elite, Know it, Need Opener/Guide, Bravery" But of course you already Know this.

Most need opener posts are however Favour runs - Usually open to Lvl 20s {25 now} and so for those quests you don't need the xp from these could come in handy to you.

One more thing - Good Hunting and Enjoy Cannith.

July 18, 2012
    My first life character is Parvo an orc barbarian. 20 strength, 18 con, dumped everything else. He started as a level seven veteran (my first ever veteran).
    Welcome to Cannith.
    I have one question:

Why not Halfling?
    Cannith
    Csodaszarvas
    Valyria - Hulkie - Sillymilly - Killberry - Silvyanna - Walour - Corgak - Thalrian-1

I'll second the Welcome to Cannith chorus. It's been my home for going on 3 years now. I have some experiences with several other servers, with my highest non-Cannith character being a level 12 sorc on Argo. Beyond that, Cannith is the one I am most familiar with.

And yes, pugging can be pretty bad at low levels. It does get better, and there many highly competent players on Cannith.

I would recommend you get in with a high level guild. Not only with the buffs help you immensely, but the advice will be priceless as you adapt to "regular" DDO play. I've done some PD myself (on Thelanis) and recognize that the two are very, very different. Both present unique challenges.

Yea - most folks don't use microphones. I've never understood why. It's definitely a minority thing. I don't think it's unique to Cannith. It has higher uses among guilds, and has higher uses among those who have played the game longer. You'll see more frequent use of it as you get into higher level groups.

Are you planning on using an XP stone on Parvo to get him to 16 once you hit 8?
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Warlock12/Monk3(14th life) || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

Quick tip re: hirelings while you're in your barb life...

Heystack (18 cleric) has death ward, as does Albus (20 FvS) and one of the 16 clerics, perhaps Natasha. Being a barb with 6 negative levels is not fun.

Community Member

I see you've joined me in seeing how the other side lives. Too bad you didn't start on Argo, I wouldn't mind a TR partner.

I chose to stay on Argo as I can funnel all my crafting ingredients and good loot from my dead MV characters to my TR toon. Although, I have already acquired better stuff than I ever saw in MV. I do still have a few items that came from MV that i use during leveling.

I started with Paladin (18 Pal/2 Ftr) and TRed into a second Paladin life (15 Pal/4 Mnk/1 Rog) for that 10% healing amp going forward. I should have him capped again in about two weeks and then he'll TR into a Barbarian and use the Stone of Experience to jump from 8 to 16.

Haven't done any pugging yet, just soloed with an occasional hireling. I second wowo's recommendation for Larafey. She is awesome and great to use in the challenges. Unless you want to spend TP on True Druidic Hearts to TR, you'll be running Epic Challenges to get ingredients to trade for Epic Dungeon Tokens of which 20 will get you a True Druidic Heart.

I have to say, I'm REALLY surprised to see you taking this step.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedamijo View Post
    I see you've joined me in seeing how the other side lives. Too bad you didn't start on Argo, I wouldn't mind a TR partner.

I chose to stay on Argo as I can funnel all my crafting ingredients and good loot from my dead MV characters to my TR toon. Although, I have already acquired better stuff than I ever saw in MV. I do still have a few items that came from MV that i use during leveling.

I started with Paladin (18 Pal/2 Ftr) and TRed into a second Paladin life (15 Pal/4 Mnk/1 Rog) for that 10% healing amp going forward. I should have him capped again in about two weeks and then he'll TR into a Barbarian and use the Stone of Experience to jump from 8 to 16.

Haven't done any pugging yet, just soloed with an occasional hireling. I second wowo's recommendation for Larafey. She is awesome and great to use in the challenges. Unless you want to spend TP on True Druidic Hearts to TR, you'll be running Epic Challenges to get ingredients to trade for Epic Dungeon Tokens of which 20 will get you a True Druidic Heart.

I have to say, I'm REALLY surprised to see you taking this step.
    I don't remember the exact date, but I'm pretty sure that the stones of experience are supposed to quit working in august sometime, yeah? Whevever update 15 hits. So keep that in mind for your xp stone planning.
    Osharan, Esharan, Osharina, Usharina, etc... I'm the 'sharans. Epoxy. Notverysexy.
    I've taken the craft disturbing mental image feat... You have been warned!
    Share and Enjoy!

First off, good on ya for stepping outside your comfort zone. I'm a little disappointed you're not doing this on Argo where us elitist jerks can harass you, but Cannith is a lot less aggro, from what I remember.

Some things other people haven't said: I've done 11 lives and am working on two more across 6 toons and the one thing that's kept me sane is the people I run with and the builds I've used. To some people, running every single quest the exact same way on the exact same build is a blast, but it gets dull. Don't be afraid to try crazy things and do things that you wouldn't normally do. It will help keep you from giving up at the end.

This will also probably be your first experience having a capped toon. I recommend running epics to get your True Hearts instead of buying them. It's a fantastic experience and is wildly different from the 1-20 game.

There's quite a heirarchy of classes when it comes to self-sufficiency. Pure barbarians and fighters suck at it. Rogues, every spellcasting class except for fleshie sorcs (which are meh) and half-elves with cleric dilettante do pretty great at it. Otherwise you'll end up micromanaging a personal assistant or relying on others for help. One of my worst experiences leveling was on a 12 fighter/6 barbarian/2 ranger mongrel THF WF Kensai with no UMD. It's good for learning painful lessons, but for fast leveling you'll want to be as self-sufficient as possible.

PUGs. Don't PUG unless you're prepared to have a laugh at the expense of a slower completion time and a few deaths. At least on Argo, PUGs are typically people who value their own e-peen and showing off, and do badly at it. You can either learn to laugh about it or just solo a bunch.

Good luck to you in your endeavor. I imagine as a PD player you'll tear through most content like a wet rag, especially since you'll only gain more build power and gear power as you go. You've already got enough player power for 99% of most situations, I bet.
    Honkin * Diaari * Bazongas

Welcome to Cannith, parvo.
    If you need anything, even if it's just a friendly face to say Hi to, please shoot me a /tell.

Quote Originally Posted by der_kluge View Post
    ...Are you planning on using an XP stone on Parvo to get him to 16 once you hit 8?
    I don't know how.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

This morning I ran Archer point defense. I think I figured out how I can always have the star but let others join to help if they want. Seems to work out well. There is an arti that has joined me a couple of times already and they seem to know what they are doing, (which includes knowing where the raise shrine is and how to dump my soul stone next to it ).
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast