Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Another thing I would suggest for this first life is raid flagging. Flag for DQ raid, reavers fate, shroud and abbot as soon as possible and try to get a few runs in before you cap, you might not get XP for it but really the priority this life should be gear instead.

Once you get to cap you'll have to decide whether it's worthwhile to stay at cap for ~60 days to get 20th completions on the raids (shroud, hound of xoriat, vision of destruction, tower of despair, accursed ascension, reaver's fate, zawabi's revenge, plane of night, master artificer, lord of blades and whatever the new U14 raid is). Some of these are difficult to get 20th on unless you know people that run them regularly (abbot) and some have 10th lists instead (MA/LoB) but all will have loot that will help your completionist journey.

(If you complete most raids 20 times you'll get a list of most of the named items out of the raid which is often the surest way to get a specific item like the torc).

If you assume an hour per raid (some are more some are less) then that's 11 hours of time invested every 3 days, not sure what your schedule is but it could keep you busy anyway, plenty of quests to do in the meantime.

I'd also suggest to get into cannith challenges sooner rather than later, a ML:16 Frozen Tunic, Rock Boots and Elemental Greataxe of Fire would see you to level 20 in style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Something I am doing, and which might work for you since (I assume) you are V.I.P.

On my secondary account I took a stone of experience on my 3rd life cleric. Now I am going back and running all the low and mid-level content I skipped for the favor/loot. Even with sub-par gear you can run through the stuff fairly easily, vendor all the trash quickly for cash, and AH the few decent items you might find.
    Goddess! You know it baybee.

Nissha - Chanteuse - Zealotry - Zealot - Zeal
    Leader, High Rollers (Cannith)

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Another thing I would suggest for this first life is raid flagging. Flag for DQ raid, reavers fate, shroud and abbot as soon as possible and try to get a few runs in before you cap, you might not get XP for it but really the priority this life should be gear instead.

Once you get to cap you'll have to decide whether it's worthwhile to stay at cap for ~60 days to get 20th completions on the raids (shroud, hound of xoriat, vision of destruction, tower of despair, accursed ascension, reaver's fate, zawabi's revenge, plane of night, master artificer, lord of blades and whatever the new U14 raid is). Some of these are difficult to get 20th on unless you know people that run them regularly (abbot) and some have 10th lists instead (MA/LoB) but all will have loot that will help your completionist journey.

(If you complete most raids 20 times you'll get a list of most of the named items out of the raid which is often the surest way to get a specific item like the torc).

If you assume an hour per raid (some are more some are less) then that's 11 hours of time invested every 3 days, not sure what your schedule is but it could keep you busy anyway, plenty of quests to do in the meantime.

I'd also suggest to get into cannith challenges sooner rather than later, a ML:16 Frozen Tunic, Rock Boots and Elemental Greataxe of Fire would see you to level 20 in style.
    Right now, I can't see grinding for gear. I don't understand why I would need to. I'm progressing just fine with stuff I've found. Parvo the Barbarian has enough XP for 17 and working on enough for 18, (although still holding 16). So I have three levels left and tons left to do. I know XP gets tighter later on, but my successive lives will have better loot anyway just for coming up through the system.

Two questions. Can I TR after just hitting 20 or do I need to be capped 20? On my last class life, do I need to TR them? So, if I do cleric last, and ultimately want to be a cleric, do I need to do that twice?
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Right now, I can't see grinding for gear. I don't understand why I would need to. I'm progressing just fine with stuff I've found. Parvo the Barbarian has enough XP for 17 and working on enough for 18, (although still holding 16). So I have three levels left and tons left to do. I know XP gets tighter later on, but my successive lives will have better loot anyway just for coming up through the system.

Two questions. Can I TR after just hitting 20 or do I need to be capped 20? On my last class life, do I need to TR them? So, if I do cleric last, and ultimately want to be a cleric, do I need to do that twice?
    Raids have better loot than what you get through leveling, but it is ultimately up to you whether you want to stay at the raids for a while or TR right away.

You can TR as soon as you hit 20 (1.9mill xp first life, 3.1 2nd, and 4.3 3rd and later). You also need to have a cleric past life when you go onto your final build as a cleric.
    Exelin etc, exception Estelix of Elite Raiders, Khyber
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    I often word things in ways that cause the most speculation and panic, because I'm capricious and mean.

Community Member

It's worth the time to build a simple GS HP item and perhaps a 3xPos weapon that you would use in multiple lives for the raise dead clicky at level 12+ on subsequent lives. You can go cheap in terms of large ingredients with either a 3x Air or 3xEarth for the HP item. If you have the materials spend consider making a Min2 or Smoke2 item, it is expensive at 24 large ingredients but for leveling they are great items to have. The Smoke2's displacement clicky is great and adding the perma blur really migrates a lot of damage. The Mineral2 with the HeavyFort/+5 Protection and Stoneskin clicky is quite nice as well. You'll find the real power of GS will be over the long term of the toon as you can use the item at level 11. At the moment I am making the HP item a cloak. I know when I get to my final life I will redo the GS items but now that you can deconstruct GS and get most/a lot of ingredients back is absolutely worth it to grind that just enough. If you haven't run Shroud much you might only manage to build one of these items and perhaps even only do it to Tier 2 but even that is worth while. A 2xPos item still has it's raise dead clicky and for that alone they are absolutely great.

I too am on the first life of a completionist plan and I choose the Barb first for getting it out of the way (the way barbs play tends to be very much against my play style as I am a clicky fanatic). I don't have much gear for the toon either save odd hand-me down's from my banker toon and I did build a modest Harry beater for him, at least until I finished making a little green steel.

Also I would recommend once you hit 18 you stay 18 until you are ready to cap. This way you can jump into any Shroud flagging quest group easily and those quests are worth a lot, give base item ingredients and are generally quite fun. Those groups tend to be up quite often and it's easy to pug them for XP to cap.

I can answer one of your questions, yes you can TR once you hit 20 if you have the Epic tokens on hand to trade in for your heart of wood. Otherwise you will have to run enough Epics/Epic Challenges to get them (these days most folks seem to do the challenges and then turn in the ingredients for tokens).
    Founding Member and Current Leader of Sword And Siren on Cannith
    Main Toons: Cerafim | GrumpyKuss | Thextor | Khrysti | RocHound | Artychoke | Buggzapper

Veni, Vidi, Velcro: I came, I saw, I got stuck

If I'm on, Parvo, look me up - I'll be on as Brigette. I'm 16, and my friend and I have been running a lot of mid-level stuff since I used an XP stone. My paladin is 3rd life so I've just been blazing through stuff without much difficulty.

We're doing stuff around the 10th/11th level mark now. As a 16, you can still get decent XP for 9th level elites, and non-zero XP for 8th level elites.
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Warlock12/Monk3(14th life) || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Well, welcome to Cannith and Good Luck on your journey Parvo.

A couple things I'll offer up...

Cannith pugs can be very quiet. Some is due to language barriers, some is due to new(ish) player shyness, some are just quiet folks, and others may be using vent/ts or some private chat service. In very quiet groups I tend to listen to music in the background or maybe catch a little t.v. More communication tends to come over type vs. voice. However, there are quite a few chatty folks on the server and some runs are very social.

I echo the idea that you stay at 20 for a bit on your first life to gather up some gear. Future TR's will require more xp and having better gear makes it a bit easier to maintain streaks for better xp and being able to tackle them without being as resource intensive.

Finally, as others noted I also pick up on both some discouragement and some negativity. This is your first life, the easiest of them all, the tip of the iceberg as it were. While gaining xp now is far easier then it was previous to BB and Tomes of XP, it can still be very tedious and grindy at times. At those times, it's usually best to log off, do something else and come back refreshed with the focus of why you are doing this in the first place. Everyone's focus is different and you made this decision to embark on this journey with your own particular focus.

Again, gl in your journey.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Raid loot gear, particularly of the ML:12-14 variety is of an order of magnitude better that can see the ease with which you do quests double. There's really no comparison with gear you can get just by leveling up ( except what is available from cannith challenges).

How long do you want to spend on this project? 6 months? 1 year? I'd suggest to keep an eye on your experience panel and your xp per quest divided by the completion times (completion time is a bit out of whack at the moment so I tend to use other timers).

At 1000 xp/minute it'll take about 1000 hours to cap your completionist character. Staying at cap for 20 completions is a lot and you wouldn't be guaranteed to come out in front in the long run on a specific measure of time to get completionist but I'd suggest to at least try to flag for as many raids as possible and get in a few completions each life to give yourself a chance at some of the loot there.

Cannith Challenge gear is another matter, there's good XP there and fantastic gear; jump on in there and figure them out. I particularly love the freezing ice proc (it goes off all the time) on Frozen Tunic and guards on the Rock Boots (they go off regularly too). Between these 2 items you'd probably find yourself killing enemies much faster (as they get made helpless regularly, freezing ice even encases on glancing blows) and taking much less damage (as mobs will be incapped much more often). They're also useful on almost all lives.

Edit: Also look to put together some Dragontouched this life and some armour sets from Madness packs. For a barbarian I'd particularly like a Fleshmakers Brigadine with an appropriate upgrade (probably dance guard).

Also, I'd look up some people's TR plans like MrCow or Lithic and make sure you check out the quests they do this life to see how you like them. No need to farm in the same way that they do (~13 completions of 1 quest) but good to grab a few completions at least of those super high xp/minute quests to try to stay in front of the curve.
    Last edited by wax_on_wax_off; 07-23-2012 at 05:18 PM.
    Build Index

If you plan to TR right after hitting 20, there isn't much point in running raids or farming quests for gear. You can TR as soon as you take level 20.

Taking into account your usual play style (Mortal Voyage PD) and from what I've seen you post, I would think spending 60 days so you can run shroud 20 times to twink your character out with green steel wouldn't be very fun for you (I can barely take 3-4 runs before I want to TR).

Plus, if you think the loot drops are a joke now, green steel is so OP for its level (12) that it will make most random loot a joke and it will make things much less challenging for you than they already are.

If your goal is to rip through all the classes as fast as you can without regard to really experiencing the higher level quests as that particular class (I know you've probably done Level 1-12 content ad inifinitum), then you'll probably want some green steel.

If twinking your character to the max is not a goal of yours, I'd recommend running each raid once, at level, and be happy with what drops. Some raids you might want to run more than once on your third life for the xps, but doing it this way you will still collect quite an array of gear as you will end up running all the raids at least 12-15 times as you progress through your various lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    Well, welcome to Cannith and Good Luck on your journey Parvo.

A couple things I'll offer up...

Cannith pugs can be very quiet. Some is due to language barriers, some is due to new(ish) player shyness, some are just quiet folks, and others may be using vent/ts or some private chat service. In very quiet groups I tend to listen to music in the background or maybe catch a little t.v. More communication tends to come over type vs. voice. However, there are quite a few chatty folks on the server and some runs are very social.

I echo the idea that you stay at 20 for a bit on your first life to gather up some gear. Future TR's will require more xp and having better gear makes it a bit easier to maintain streaks for better xp and being able to tackle them without being as resource intensive.

Finally, as others noted I also pick up on both some discouragement and some negativity. This is your first life, the easiest of them all, the tip of the iceberg as it were. While gaining xp now is far easier then it was previous to BB and Tomes of XP, it can still be very tedious and grindy at times. At those times, it's usually best to log off, do something else and come back refreshed with the focus of why you are doing this in the first place. Everyone's focus is different and you made this decision to embark on this journey with your own particular focus.

Again, gl in your journey.
    I was in a three person group last night and chatting a bit with one guy. When he logged out, the third (typing) asked me if I was gay because "she" was the only girl in our group and the guys were the only ones talking. "She" logged out before I could explain how talking doesn't create babies between those of opposite sex and therefore doesn't really determine sexual preferrence... Seriously though, in my guild, I'd say 95%+ of the players use voice. We almost all talk... The purpose of my talking here on Canith might be a bit more scewed toward entertainment, but it's so weird that folks don't. Built in voice is one of the strengths of DDO. (I know it's not perfect, but still, it's built in...)
    Last edited by parvo; 07-23-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Relenthe View Post
    Raids have better loot than what you get through leveling, but it is ultimately up to you whether you want to stay at the raids for a while or TR right away.

You can TR as soon as you hit 20 (1.9mill xp first life, 3.1 2nd, and 4.3 3rd and later). You also need to have a cleric past life when you go onto your final build as a cleric.
    This is not necessarily true. A lot of raid loot is nowhere near as good as named drops/rewards from newer quest chains.

And somehow I just don't see Parvo running Demon Queen 60 times for a torc or Reaver's Fate 20 times for a +3 tome.

Raid loot gear, particularly of the ML:12-14 variety is of an order of magnitude better that can see the ease with which you do quests double. There's really no comparison with gear you can get just by leveling up ( except what is available from cannith challenges).

How long do you want to spend on this project? 6 months? 1 year? I'd suggest to keep an eye on your experience panel and your xp per quest divided by the completion times (completion time is a bit out of whack at the moment so I tend to use other timers).

At 1000 xp/minute it'll take about 1000 hours to cap your completionist character. Staying at cap for 20 completions is a lot and you wouldn't be guaranteed to come out in front in the long run on a specific measure of time to get completionist but I'd suggest to at least try to flag for as many raids as possible and get in a few completions each life to give yourself a chance at some of the loot there.

Cannith Challenge gear is another matter, there's good XP there and fantastic gear; jump on in there and figure them out. I particularly love the freezing ice proc (it goes off all the time) on Frozen Tunic and guards on the Rock Boots (they go off regularly too). Between these 2 items you'd probably find yourself killing enemies much faster (as they get made helpless regularly, freezing ice even encases on glancing blows) and taking much less damage (as mobs will be incapped much more often). They're also useful on almost all lives.

Edit: Also look to put together some Dragontouched this life and some armour sets from Madness packs. For a barbarian I'd particularly like a Fleshmakers Brigadine with an appropriate upgrade (probably dance guard).

Also, I'd look up some people's TR plans like MrCow or Lithic and make sure you check out the quests they do this life to see how you like them. No need to farm in the same way that they do (~13 completions of 1 quest) but good to grab a few completions at least of those super high xp/minute quests to try to stay in front of the curve.
    I have no time frame in mind. One year or five, doesn't really matter to me. I'd like to think it is fun doing and a decent break from permadeath play. I'm anxious to at least start on life #2. I think life #2 will give me a better feel for things. You gotta keep in mind, I really don't care about gathering power for my character. So long as I can progress fairly easily, I'm good with it.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    And somehow I just don't see Parvo running Demon Queen 60 times for a torc or Reaver's Fate 20 times for a +3 tome.
    +3 tomes are obtainable from high level quests, and are not worth raiding for.
    Parvo, you should try to flag quickly for raids, and run them when possible, but don't delay TRing because of raid completions.

...If twinking your character to the max is not a goal of yours, I'd recommend running each raid once, at level, and be happy with what drops. Some raids you might want to run more than once on your third life for the xps, but doing it this way you will still collect quite an array of gear as you will end up running all the raids at least 12-15 times as you progress through your various lives.
    I was kind of thinking I'll do the minimum to get to level 20 each time. I'm guessing doing the raids will require some waiting around for groups and then learning as well...
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

I was in a three person group last night and chatting a bit with one guy. When he logged out, the third (typing) asked me if I was gay because "she" was the only girl in our group and the guys were the only ones talking. "She" logged out before I could explain how talking doesn't create babies between those of opposite sex and therefore doesn't really determine sexual preferrence... Seriously though, in my guild, I'd say 95%+ of the players use voice. We almost all talk... The purpose of my talking here on Canith might be a bit more scewed toward entertainment, but it's so weird that folks don't. Built in voice is one of the strengths of DDO. (I know it's not perfect, but still, it's built in...)
    That's really strange on her part then. But as I have found, if I use voice or at least communicate first others follow. And if not I consider them an NPC group and complete and move on to a more social one if the mood fits me.

This is not necessarily true. A lot of raid loot is nowhere near as good as named drops/rewards from newer quest chains.

The problem with your statement is the newer drops etc are mostly ML 21+ whereas alot of sexy raid loot is ML9-14. Big difference right there for a multi-tr project. While I would hope and agree ML 21+ gear should surpass ML 9-14 gear, it's completely useless to someone that will not spend very long at level 20 and be tring again.

Take for example the Lion Headed Belt Buckle. ML 11. +4 STR, +4 CON, Immunity to Fear and Shaken Effect on Hit (-2 to saves). That belt is TR goodness right there. Good slot consolidation, a nice low min level.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Heya Parvo,

Good to see your making progress on your completionist project. I am not (currently) in the same level range as you (level 5 at the moment) on my completionist toon (life 22), but would be happy to group with you. I have at least 2 more lives to go as I still need druid (when it finally goes on sale) and my final build life.

On the gear side, I would recommend skipping farming the shroud, but you should run it at least once to get a small, medium and large shard of power. Chances are a couple will be put for roll if you don't pull them yourself. Once you have those, you can get the other ingredients you need to make at least your first greensteel item/weapon from the AH.

I have loads of base, tier 1/2 and quite a lot of spare tier 3 ingredients if you need to get crafting. They are just taking up space in my bags so its no big deal to pass you the ones you need.(This offer is open to Parvo only - I know what Cannith can be like).

I would also like to stress again what False said about not levelling beyond 18th until you hit xp cap. Doing this allows you to group with 16-18 groups or 18-21 groups without issues.

Another thing to think about is your sigil for abbot. Collect as many spares of all parts you can get on your early lives. You do not have to run the flagging quests for litany of the dead if you have a full sigil you can hand in. Litany is an excellent quest to farm for xp.

Hope to overlap with you soon in game.

Maetrim.
    Loot - Maetrim "Completionist" - Additional past lives in progress. (life 26)
    Originally from european Devourer server.

Quote Originally Posted by Maetrim View Post
    Heya Parvo,

Good to see your making progress on your completionist project. I am not (currently) in the same level range as you (level 5 at the moment) on my completionist toon (life 22), but would be happy to group with you. I have at least 2 more lives to go as I still need druid (when it finally goes on sale) and my final build life.

On the gear side, I would recommend skipping farming the shroud, but you should run it at least once to get a small, medium and large shard of power. Chances are a couple will be put for roll if you don't pull them yourself. Once you have those, you can get the other ingredients you need to make at least your first greensteel item/weapon from the AH.

I have loads of base, tier 1/2 and quite a lot of spare tier 3 ingredients if you need to get crafting. They are just taking up space in my bags so its no big deal to pass you the ones you need.(This offer is open to Parvo only - I know what Cannith can be like).

I would also like to stress again what False said about not levelling beyond 18th until you hit xp cap. Doing this allows you to group with 16-18 groups or 18-21 groups without issues.

Another thing to think about is your sigil for abbot. Collect as many spares of all parts you can get on your early lives. You do not have to run the flagging quests for litany of the dead if you have a full sigil you can hand in. Litany is an excellent quest to farm for xp.

Hope to overlap with you soon in game.

Maetrim.
    Hi Thanks. I don't know how to craft Greansteel, but across the board it seems to be well recommended, so I may take you up on it. When is a good time to start that?

Another question or two:
    If I craft, do I lose the crafting levels when I TR?
    What is the best guide for the act of True Ressurection. I was kinda thinking I could just do it whenever I hit 20. Someone was saying something about I have to collect stuff? As I close in on enough XP for 18 (still holding at level 16) maybe it's a good time to collect that stuff?
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Hi Thanks. I don't know how to craft Greansteel, but across the board it seems to be well recommended, so I may take you up on it. When is a good time to start that?

Another question or two:
    What is the best guide for the act of True Ressurection. I was kinda thinking I could just do it whenever I hit 20. Someone was saying something about I have to collect stuff? As I close in on enough XP for 18 (still holding at level 16) maybe it's a good time to collect that stuff?
    Nope, crafting levels stay and also the XP on all shards resets so if there's a particular shard you like that you were low XP on you'll be able to do it all over again (this is a great way to level crafting).

To TR you need a True Heart of Wood either from the DDO Store or by collecting 20 Epic Dungeon Tokens and turning them in to the epic trader in The Twelve. The most efficient way to get these epic tokens is by running cannith challenges where you can get 4 to 6 tokens/hour in one or two particular challenges (Lava Caves: Time is Money and Extraplanar Palace: Buying Time are the two main ones I think). To get the epic tokens you need to run epic challenges which you can only open if you are level 20 though if you have a level 20 character in the group you can go in yourself regardless of your level and not be affected by them as they don't need to enter the quest (people have completed epic challenges with level 1 characters for some 40k XP using this strategy).

There's a few lists of "to-do" things that you might find if you google, my googlefu is a bit weak at the moment so I can't find the particular mammoth list that I was thinking of that includes just about every consideration that you could possibly have. 150 Silver Flame Favour for a token is a good one, if you've used it already then go and get another before you TR and keep it in your inventory to use at level 1.
    Build Index

Another question or two:
    You can True Res after you reach level 20, but you also need a true druidic heart of wood,
    this can be bought in the store for a lot of TP (and they are increasing the price)
    or you can turn in 20 epic dungeon tokens for one (by talking to the fire ele in the twelve)
    You take the true heart to Kruz, in house J, logout, press reincarnate.

Here is a convenient guide to crafting:
    http://crafting.cubicleninja.com/

You do not lose crafting levels when you TR
    Doing most of the cannith crafting stuff on an artificer life is recommended.
    Crafting levels only apply to one kind of crafting

Baatezu Green Steel are very powerful ML 11 items. After running the vale flagging quests, you obtain some shavarath stones, and some other ingredients. You take the ingredients from the vale flagging quests, and turn them into a green steel "blank"
    By running the shroud raid, you collect other ingredients (the ingredients from the shroud have a size: small, medium, and large, that correspond to the 3 tiers of your green steel item)
    You imbue shards of power, and use these with your green steel blank to upgrade it
    You cannot equip multiple green steel non-weapon items at the same time, until you obtain an essence of cleansing
    +45 hp min 2 items, and +sp concordant opposition items are popular
    mineral and lightning are the more popular weapons

Nope, crafting levels stay and also the XP on all shards resets so if there's a particular shard you like that you were low XP on you'll be able to do it all over again (this is a great way to level crafting)...
    Not sure what this means. To be clear, I was asking about regular house K type crafting. I don't know what you mean by the XP on all shards resets?

My thought was life #3 may be a good time to go Artificer. Compared to some other classes, Arti will be easy to level up, and by life #3, I should have lots of essence. I have a build in mind that I would like to try.

I'm already thinking about life #2. With first life as Barbarian, I could go Paladin, Ranger, or Fighter and not change my style much...
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast