Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    I had another solid session. Hooked up with some old friends and new. Completed all Orchard explorers, Running With the Devils hard, and Invaders elite. Invaders elite was the first --silent pug-- that didn't suck.

Early in the session, before I grouped, I tried one of the challenges. All I can say is, wow...there is some serious half-elven influnce on that design. A bunch of baby voiced kobolds saying stupid baby-like ****... I recalled within one minute. Horrible design. So bad... If I wanted that ****, I'd play hello kitty online. I'm not sure I can fight though challenges...
    Try the Rushmore's Mansion ones (behind the door is the easiest but caps at level 15 so don't expect great xp/mats if you start there but it's the best place to learn a path for the other 2 scenarios). No kobolds at all (I can understand that they could be annoying, I don't run them enough for it to bother me).

Idea is to collect crests by picking them off the ground, killing mobs or breaking stuff to open the next door, each door you open increases the time left to continue. The annoying part is that here's 5 different types of crest and you'll usually be short 1 type though theres always enough if you have the time to look. Easy to get solid completions solo (3-4 stars) but for 6 stars easier with 1 other person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Community Member

You tell me. I know nothing about past life feats. Do they take up a regular feat slot? You guys told me to do Barb first because it will assist future lives. Will Fighter, Paladin, Ranger do the same?
    Paladin would be a good choice. I did Paladin first, mostly because I had never played one. Then i did a second Paladin life that is almost done because I like round numbers and wanted a 10% healing amp instead of 5%.

Your Barbarian life will give all future lives an additional 10HP at 1st level.
    A Paladin life will grant a 5% healing amp
    A Fighter life will grant +1 to hit and +1 to tactical feat DCs
    A Ranger life will grant +2 ranged damage and +2 stacking elemental resist to all elements
    Intelligence appears to be the thing that enables a man to get along without education. Education enables a man to get along without the use of his intelligence.

Community Member

Early in the session, before I grouped, I tried one of the challenges. All I can say is, wow...there is some serious half-elven influnce on that design. A bunch of baby voiced kobolds saying stupid baby-like ****... I recalled within one minute. Horrible design. So bad... If I wanted that ****, I'd play hello kitty online. I'm not sure I can fight though challenges...
    An Elemental Greataxe of Fire would go great with your character. You would need to run each the following challenges enough times to get 600 of each ingredient they offer.

Lava Caves: Time is Money
    Kobold Island: The Disruptor (just destroy the kobold idols and they wont come back to annoy you)
    Dr. Rushmore's Mansion: Moving Targets

Once you have the ingredients turn them in to the appropriate vendor in House C and get your level 16 tier 1 axe.

then to upgrade it to Tier 2, you would be running Picture Portals, Buying Time and Time is Money (lots of kobolds, but they work for you)

I have trouble with all of the Dr. Rushmore challenges, especially on melees, so I run Extraplanar Mining challenges and do a 2:1 trade in on the ingredients to get the ones from Dr. Rushmore.

Challenges seem to work better solo as they scale dramatically with number of players.
    Intelligence appears to be the thing that enables a man to get along without education. Education enables a man to get along without the use of his intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedamijo View Post
    An Elemental Greataxe of Fire would go great with your character. You would need to run each the following challenges enough times to get 600 of each ingredient they offer.

Lava Caves: Time is Money
    Kobold Island: The Disruptor (just destroy the kobold idols and they wont come back to annoy you)
    Dr. Rushmore's Mansion: Moving Targets

Once you have the ingredients turn them in to the appropriate vendor in House C and get your level 16 tier 1 axe.

then to upgrade it to Tier 2, you would be running Picture Portals, Buying Time and Time is Money (lots of kobolds, but they work for you)

I have trouble with all of the Dr. Rushmore challenges, especially on melees, so I run Extraplanar Mining challenges and do a 2:1 trade in on the ingredients to get the ones from Dr. Rushmore.

Challenges seem to work better solo as they scale dramatically with number of players.
    Parvo the Barbarian crushes everything now. He doesn't need a better weapon. Only reason I considered doing challenges was to get a free TR wood hear thingy.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Parvo the Barbarian crushes everything now. He doesn't need a better weapon. Only reason I considered doing challenges was to get a free TR wood hear thingy.
    Edited because I was rude and am now forever ignoring this thread.
    Last edited by Maxallu; 07-27-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxallu View Post
    Yes that acid burst greatsword of backstabbning is teh uberz, silly me for recommending crappy lootz. How is that 25% fort working out for you? Is that some Permadeath strategy that I am not familiar with? I'll have to look into that. Maybe sometimes less is more. Huh.
    First of all, I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to an old friend from MV.

Point is, If I'm crushing everything now, why dork around with a bunch of moronic baby kobolds for +1? If I get bogged down and need more power, that is one thing, but current state of gear is fine. You probably missed it, but I have that gorget thing from Relic of a Soverign Past. Frankly, I don't need it much, so I wear the deathblock headgear instead. I'm progressing a bit in spurts but the slow times are not because of gear. They are because of unfamiliarity with these levels.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. However, if you don't want my feedback and perspective, put me on squelch becasue I'm not here to coddle your tender feelings.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

First of all, I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to an old friend from MV.

Point is, If I'm crushing everything now, why dork around with a bunch of moronic baby kobolds for +1? If I get bogged down and need more power, that is one thing, but current state of gear is fine. You probably missed it, but I have that gorget thing from Relic of a Soverign Past. Frankly, I don't need it much, so I wear the deathblock headgear instead. I'm progressing a bit in spurts but the slow times are not because of gear. They are because of unfamiliarity with these levels.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. However, if you don't want my feedback and perspective, put me on squelch becasue I'm not here to coddle your tender feelings.
    You'll need the L16 accessories anyway as they're far and away the best sources of spell power and lore for your faster lives. Particularly the Frozen Tunic and Rock Boots add hugely to your survivability due to their procs.

It's not really about success or failure as a completionist (if you die more than a few times per life youve probably lost anyway) but more about the rate of success. "Run speed" is the desired speed to complete a quest, that is, the constraining factor on getting a faster completion time is that you can't run any faster. Red Alert should be fun. Hirelings should become something that you summon only to leave at spawn for raises due to their fallibility in dungeon alert situations.

Don't be satisfied with mediocre gear. With better gear you can become a better player pushing your limits further with the options that are opened to you. Better gear doesn't have to make the game easier if you play harder and faster.

Scoundrels Greatsword and equivalent is nice but something like a T3 L16 Elemental Greataxe of Fire is going to be close to 10 points of damage/hit in front and have added utility from 30 fire resist and metalline (at tier 3 can either make it ML:14 or ML:16 with righteousness).

That's a good point, if you can get the first tier of cannith favour (50 I think?) you can get 5% crafting xp pots, +3% success boosters and cannith marks that let you reduce the ML on craftable gear by 2 (including tier 3 challenge gear).
    Build Index

You tell me. I know nothing about past life feats. Do they take up a regular feat slot? You guys told me to do Barb first because it will assist future lives. Will Fighter, Paladin, Ranger do the same?
    Barb passive past life gives you +10 hps. Passive past life feats are basically extra feats that do not take up a regular feat slot.

Active past life feats do require using one of your feat slots. Barb active past life is pretty good. It grants 20 hps and fulfills the toughness feat requirement for class/race enhancements. So you can front-load your HPs early on.

You might consider mapping out the order of your classes as some passive past lives will help the next class a bit.

For instance cleric past life gives you +1 turn/rest and allows you to turn as if 2 levels higher, so if you do cleric before paladin you're turns will be more successful. Druid gives +2 to all ability scores of summoned creatures and hirelings, so this would be good to take before ranger and artificer as this plus the augment summon feat will boost your arti-dog and ranger pets +6 to all stats.

Arti gives a +1 bonus to all INT related skills and UMD so that would be a good one to take before rogue. Fighter gives you +1 to DCs of all combat feats, so that might be good to take before Monk.

My road map is as follows (all of the past life feats stack cumulatively):

1- Barb - + 10 HPs
    2- FTR - +1 tactical DCs and +1 (5% now?) to hit
    3- FvS - + 1spell pen & + 20 SPs (taking this before cleric to boost SPs and spell pen)
    4- CLR - +1 Turn/rest & turn undead as if two levels higher (taking this before PAL to get extra turn/rest)
    5- PAL - +5% healing amp (taking this before monk to boost monk heal amp)
    6- SORC - +1 evocation DCs & +20 SPs
    7- WIZ - +2 spell pen
    8- MNK - +1 damage
    9- DRU - +2 to summoned/pets/hirelings (taken before ART and RGR to boost pets)
    10-RGR - +2 damage ranged & +2 resistance to elements (taken before ART to boost ranged damage)
    11- ART - +1 UMD and +1 INT skills (taken before ROG to boost umd & trapping skills)
    12- ROG - +1 sneak attack, +2 saves vs traps
    13- BARD - +1 bard song, +2 saves vs illusions & enchant

Or you could not even bother with a road map and just do whatever class takes your fancy next.

Quote Originally Posted by Machination View Post

My advice is, screw the capstone completionist, why cripple yourself? Yeah it is a feather, but its a pretty small one that no one else can see. Just multi for the convenience and get the end toon built faster. Then you can stack lives you want which is a little more fun once you have the feat and all those past life feats.
    I agree. If you never plan to play epic content, why worry about the capstone? Odds are by life 3 players will be banking the last two levels until they can take 20 and immediately TR anyway.

I also like building multi-classed characters because they are often more fun for me to play since they aren't so one-dimensional.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Barb passive past life gives you +10 hps. Passive past life feats are basically extra feats that do not take up a regular feat slot.

Active past life feats do require using one of your feat slots. Barb active past life is pretty good. It grants 20 hps and fulfills the toughness feat requirement for class/race enhancements. So you can front-load your HPs early on.

You might consider mapping out the order of your classes as some passive past lives will help the next class a bit.

For instance cleric past life gives you +1 turn/rest and allows you to turn as if 2 levels higher, so if you do cleric before paladin you're turns will be more successful. Druid gives +2 to all ability scores of summoned creatures and hirelings, so this would be good to take before ranger and artificer as this plus the augment summon feat will boost your arti-dog and ranger pets +6 to all stats.

Arti gives a +1 bonus to all INT related skills and UMD so that would be a good one to take before rogue. Fighter gives you +1 to DCs of all combat feats, so that might be good to take before Monk.

My road map is as follows (all of the past life feats stack cumulatively):

1- Barb - + 10 HPs
    2- FTR - +1 tactical DCs and +1 (5% now?) to hit
    3- FvS - + 1spell pen & + 20 SPs (taking this before cleric to boost SPs and spell pen)
    4- CLR - +1 Turn/rest & turn undead as if two levels higher (taking this before PAL to get extra turn/rest)
    5- PAL - +5% healing amp (taking this before monk to boost monk heal amp)
    6- SORC - +1 evocation DCs & +20 SPs
    7- WIZ - +2 spell pen
    8- MNK - +1 damage
    9- DRU - +2 to summoned/pets/hirelings (taken before ART and RGR to boost pets)
    10-RGR - +2 damage ranged & +2 resistance to elements (taken before ART to boost ranged damage)
    11- ART - +1 UMD and +1 INT skills (taken before ROG to boost umd & trapping skills)
    12- ROG - +1 sneak attack, +2 saves vs traps
    13- BARD - +1 bard song, +2 saves vs illusions & enchant

Or you could not even bother with a road map and just do whatever class takes your fancy next.
    Mispost.

Was going to say:
    Bard+rogue PLs are quite good for the bonus to saves. Wizard PL definitely before Sorc/fvs/Druid (maybe cleric too but no big deal). Paladin is awesome for the passive and active, I'd do that next (its a sucky life and definitely preferable on T1 xp).
    Last edited by wax_on_wax_off; 07-28-2012 at 03:51 AM.
    Build Index

Awesome group last night. Ran all the vale quests on elite. Hammered out lots of XP. Parvo the Barbarian now has less than one level before eligible for True Resurrection.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Awesome group last night. Ran all the vale quests on elite. Hammered out lots of XP. Parvo the Barbarian now has less than one level before eligible for True Resurrection.
    Have you run the Reaver's Refuge chain yet?

Monastery of the Scorpion has a kind of old-school DnD feel to it with the traps and puzzles. Enter the Kobold has a wicked end fight that can go horribly wrong. And Stealer of Souls remind me a bit of the old G-series modules rolled into one and can be quite challenging on elite. The optional end fight can be challenging for PUGs at all levels.

The first time I ever ran that chain on elite was a real wake up call.

OK, as I near 20, I want to make sure I get this right. Assume I have the proper heart of wood (probably purchase from DDO store). Then go to house J? Do I need to un-equip items or move from personal bank or move from bag inventory?
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Everything you wear, in your backpack, and in your bank will be transferred to your TR cache (which is created once you TR).

The cache appears as an additional window when you go to the bank after you TR. You can only withdraw items from the TR cache, so once you pull it out of the cache you'll need to store it in your bags or regular bank space. The cache lasts until you TR again; then it is destroyed (with everything you left in it) and recreated with everything in your bags and regular bank slots.

Great info on the wiki: True Reincarnation

This TR checklist on the forums also has some good reminder to do's before you TR.

For example: did you get your free +2 tome that you earned once you hit 1750 favor?

OK, as I near 20, I want to make sure I get this right. Assume I have the proper heart of wood (probably purchase from DDO store). Then go to house J? Do I need to un-equip items or move from personal bank or move from bag inventory?
    All items from your bank, inventory, and items equipped are transfered into your TR cache. All your money is on you when you TR. Items can be withdrawn from a TR cache at any time.
    Levistis, Orcys, and Thirzax of the Dragon Blood Cult of Maguuma, GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Everything you wear, in your backpack, and in your bank will be transferred to your TR cache (which is created once you TR).

The cache appears as an additional window when you go to the bank after you TR. You can only withdraw items from the TR cache, so once you pull it out of the cache you'll need to store it in your bags or regular bank space. The cache lasts until you TR again; then it is destroyed (with everything you left in it) and recreated with everything in your bags and regular bank slots.

Great info on the wiki: True Reincarnation

This TR checklist on the forums also has some good reminder to do's before you TR.

For example: did you get your free +2 tome that you earned once you hit 1750 favor?
    Dude, you rock. I fully read through both. Good info indeed.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member

To get Epic Tokens from the House C Challenges you need Epic Materials. The exchange rate is 300 of any one ingredient/token. The lower level stuff is for making the base items in the House C Gear, but they are not epic ingredients which can be identified by the purple background. 20 Epic tokens can be traded in the Twelve at the Epic Token Vendor (Flaming Rock Elemental outside the tower) for a True Druidic Heart of Wood which you need to TR the toon. You can also use DDO points to buy one but it's not hard to get the tokens.

You won't be able to enter the Epic Challenges unless you have someone 20+ with you. Hope that helps and good luck.
    Founding Member and Current Leader of Sword And Siren on Cannith
    Main Toons: Cerafim | GrumpyKuss | Thextor | Khrysti | RocHound | Artychoke | Buggzapper

Veni, Vidi, Velcro: I came, I saw, I got stuck

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingGrump View Post
    To get Epic Tokens from the House C Challenges you need Epic Materials. The exchange rate is 300 of any one ingredient/token. The lower level stuff is for making the base items in the House C Gear, but they are not epic ingredients which can be identified by the purple background. 20 Epic tokens can be traded in the Twelve at the Epic Token Vendor (Flaming Rock Elemental outside the tower) for a True Druidic Heart of Wood which you need to TR the toon. You can also use DDO points to buy one but it's not hard to get the tokens.

You won't be able to enter the Epic Challenges unless you have someone 20+ with you. Hope that helps and good luck.
    OK, so let's say I don't want to pay and I do the epic challenges. Good strategy would be to level up to 20 then hit what challenges? Any of them?
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

OK, so let's say I don't want to pay and I do the epic challenges. Good strategy would be to level up to 20 then hit what challenges? Any of them?
    If you get a level 20 in party you can do the epic challenge and get XP that you need too. For mats/minute Time is Money or Buying Time are the best I think though not sure if that changed with recent adjustments. Both of these challenges are easy and you can get tokens quite fast (more than 10/hour I think?).

Challenges are basically the same though in different levels (extraplanar palace/lava caves); basically herd kobolds to purple crystals and let them mine, circles of power in lava caves can be used as 2 way teleporters if you put a teleported in 1.
    Build Index

Community Member

The three I tend to farm are Lava Caves: Time is Money, Extra Planner Palace: Buying Time, and Extra Planner Palace: Labor Shortage. The nice part is they run 8-11 minutes each run. Frequently you see Pugs up for these 20-25 on Cannith during the week so they aren't hard to find in groups.
    Founding Member and Current Leader of Sword And Siren on Cannith
    Main Toons: Cerafim | GrumpyKuss | Thextor | Khrysti | RocHound | Artychoke | Buggzapper

Veni, Vidi, Velcro: I came, I saw, I got stuck

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast